• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

My only complaint would be the X-Ray moves. I notice that when Sector is the victim of an x-ray attack it shows that he has bones. Sector is a Cyborg.
Cyborgs aren't robots; they have as biological base that was enhanced with technology as opposed to being pure tech. Jax is also a cyborg.
 
I usually don't see PSN update demo until 5 or 6 pm. I'm on the east coast here if that matters.
 
Definitely looking great. Would have loved to play this at an arcade, but i guess the big arcade times are over anyways, eh? Brings up some good memories.
 
I might download this out of curiosity. While I'm sure it won't be serious competition-worthy, it might be a fun distraction from the 95% Ryu infested Super SF4.
 
The demo is awesome. Gameplay and graphics are top notch. Mortal Kombat is back!

http://diehardgamefan.com/2011/03/08/ten-thoughts-on…the-mortal-kombat-demo-sony-playstation-3/



mortal-kombat-2011-dlc-could-be-free-xbox-360-ps3-screenshot.jpg
 
Last edited:
Try it, it seems you may be surprised.

LOL, im just messing with ya man. I like MK just fine. I've just been playing SSF4 for so long that anything else is going to have a hard time stacking up gameplay wise.
 
LOL, im just messing with ya man. I like MK just fine. I've just been playing SSF4 for so long that anything else is going to have a hard time stacking up gameplay wise.

Pretty much, true although I'm getting pretty much sick of it. Online play is literally 95% Ryu/Ryu with the loser occasionally swapping over to Balrog and turtling like mad. Any character variety that made the game great to start with is long gone...regardless of how balanced the game might really be.
 
Pretty much, true although I'm getting pretty much sick of it. Online play is literally 95% Ryu/Ryu with the loser occasionally swapping over to Balrog and turtling like mad. Any character variety that made the game great to start with is long gone...regardless of how balanced the game might really be.

I know what you mean. The level of Ryu's im fighting lately has been off the charts. I swear I fought 5 in a row in ranked the other night.
 
Can you do fatalities in the demo?

(Demo isn't available on the Australian Xbox Live/PSN because of our nanny-state)
 
I know what you mean. The level of Ryu's im fighting lately has been off the charts. I swear I fought 5 in a row in ranked the other night.

I haven't played ranked much, but even in casual I can pretty much bet money that I'm going to be facing Ryu, Ken, Balrog, or someone playing a more obscure character (Ibuki, Makoto, etc.) who absolutely refuses to use anyone else no matter how many times they lose.
Scores you can pretty much throw out the window, too. I've absolutely lowered the boom on people with 5,000 point Ryu's and I've taken beatings from people with 0. I think at this point the game is dying a bit. Ranked scores are meaningless because so-so players are racking up points against one another, and casual players can give you an ass-kicking without ever having touched ranked play.

Back to MK - would the people who have played it compare the game to the older series games like MK2 and MK3, or more like the later ones with different styles and weapons? I never really messed with those, but I dabbled in the old games. I was pretty solid up until MK4 when the series tanked for the first time.
 

Note that some of this is ripped from NeoGaf, I just didn't want to retype stuff over.

Basically for the demo:

3D enabled
4 characters (with specials, X-rays, etc.)
1 Fatality per character
1 Stage fatality (The Pit)
2 modes: 1-on-1 versus, Ladder Mode (a short arcade mode)
Beating Ladder Mode, unlocks a movie with some teasing at what the overall game will include, Kratos, Shang Tsung, test your luck, etc.
Keep in eye to the corner, when you do an uppercut for Dan 'Toasty' Forden

The video that plays at the end of beating the demo (possible SPOILER for characters!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KUUlRYnlc


If you always thought that MK2/MK3 was the apex of what the series was, than this will not be a disappointment. This gameplay mechanics are tight, the animation are great and seamless, and the newly added features like X-Ray are icing on the cake while playing. They have really worked on a combat system that is deep. The weapons are just those specific to the characters (Milenna has Sai, Scropion has spear/sword, etc.) - so none of that crap from the later MK's where everyone is wielding a weapon. You feel as if you're not limited to the standard combos of yesteryear as well. You can change and add in juggles and special move into your combos easily. I definitely enjoyed hearing some of the same music and seeing the same levels from MK2 and MK3. Seriously, it's gonna be worth it to pick it up IMO.
 
Woo! Forgot there was a demo. Definitely going to have to give it a go. Nice to see the series going back to what it once was.

"GET OVER HERE!"
 
i just came home from work and my ps3 auto downloaded it. WOOT
and then i go to start it 5 mins ago.....ERROR 80029513 some copyright crap. So I'll have to redownload. dont get why this happened
 
Mortal-Kombat-Fight-Stick-01-175x175.jpg


Why is the MK stick buttons layout so different from MadCatz one's?

This is the standard layout for all upright MK arcade units. The original had five buttons, block being in the middle. Then MK3 introduced the run button on the far bottom left, as seen in your pic. It's actually a great layout IMO.
 
they need to release the damn demo for the 360, im getting tired of this exclusive console b.s i mean really.
 
i dont have a ps3 and refuse to get one so ill just enjoy the non-kratos xbox one which ill like more since its no gimmicks.
 
i dont have a ps3 and refuse to get one so ill just enjoy the non-kratos xbox one which ill like more since its no gimmicks.

I'm sure if Master Chief/Fenix (or whatever) was exclusive to the 360 version you'd think differently lol
 
I DL'ed and played it last night. It's okay I guess. I personally hate chain/masher combos and this one has 'em in spades...and even the dreaded combo breaker from Killer Instinct makes an appearance.
Juggles felt intentionally floaty for a lot of moves, yet the old jump kick juggles appear to be missing almost entirely. Corner combos also seem a little nerfed with things passing through people by design.
Based upon about 15 minutes of play it seemed like projectiles (in general) are going to force the gameplay to be very up close and personal. They were all very slow, especially Sub Zero's 2 ice variations.
Graphics and animation were nice. No clue why they implemented 3D for it. It added nothing and didn't even really look cool. My guess is that Sony might be pushing people in that direction.

It's not too bad, but I'm not sure I'll pick it up. It's probably worth noting that after 15 years of holding back to block in SF and Tekken, it's REALLY hard to get used to blocking with a button again :p
 
Kratos does seem like a pretty good fit for the MK universe...he certainly isn't new to fatalities :D He is certainly a better fit than Sackboy.

While not technically Xbox-exclusive, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryu Hayabusa in an Xbox version, even though he would probably clash too much with the already-plentiful supply of ninja characters. Master Chief would be terrible, but one of the Locust variants from Gears of War could work. I doubt we'll see any Xbox-exclusive characters at all, though.
 
I DL'ed and played it last night. It's okay I guess. I personally hate chain/masher combos and this one has 'em in spades...and even the dreaded combo breaker from Killer Instinct makes an appearance.
Juggles felt intentionally floaty for a lot of moves, yet the old jump kick juggles appear to be missing almost entirely. Corner combos also seem a little nerfed with things passing through people by design.
Based upon about 15 minutes of play it seemed like projectiles (in general) are going to force the gameplay to be very up close and personal. They were all very slow, especially Sub Zero's 2 ice variations.
Graphics and animation were nice. No clue why they implemented 3D for it. It added nothing and didn't even really look cool. My guess is that Sony might be pushing people in that direction.

It's not too bad, but I'm not sure I'll pick it up. It's probably worth noting that after 15 years of holding back to block in SF and Tekken, it's REALLY hard to get used to blocking with a button again :p

And thats really all i need to hear. Thanks Domingo. I pretty much suspected this from seeing the first gameplay vids.
 
I think I understand why they did what they did with it. They're likely trying to keep fans of the later games and classic games happy at the same time. It has nostalgia and a fairly open system of attacks at the same time.
I'd say the real difference between it and the older games is that all of the moves/sequences/etc. feel 100% pre-planned. You're going to be doing the same things over and over and all of the juggles, combos, etc. were all put there and I saw almost no room for experimentation without finding and exploiting a bug.
Longer juggles missed, canned combos mixed with juggles led to people falling in an invincible status, and the older double attack juggles were gone.

It's a weird nitpick, but I really do hate when it seems like game creators seem to have closed their fighting engine and pre-planned all of the combos, strategies, etc. beforehand instead of letting the engine do the work. In Tekken you can literally spend days/hours coming up with new combos and lockdowns for different situations. In Street Fighter the ability to link normal moves with certain timing also offers a ton of flexibility. Based upon what I saw here...that isn't the case.
 
There's actually a full moves list right in the pause menu of the game. Everything from chains, to special moves, to fatalities, to even the stage finishing move.
Pretty handy considering they changed the game conventions a little from the old days.
 
LOL. Funny, MK will never be a strategic fighter. Domingo is right in comparison to say a SF or Tekken. For what it's worth nobody should ever expect MK to champion any ideals when it comes to tournament play. SF was also a simple game that eventually evolved into a more complex fighting system. While the devs have said they've deepened the gameplay with the combos, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're were aiming for a sandbox fighter. That just wouldn't be MK now would it?
 
If this is suppose to take place around the time of the first game, then how can the original Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot be in it? WTF
 
Back
Top