• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

That Kratos fatality isn't particularly great. I expected better.

And this "activation code" isn't new to gaming; EA has both been doing it for at least a year now.

Check out Noob Saibot's fatality...it has to be the biggest reason why MK got perma-banned in Australia.

I was thinking the same but each character has two don't they? Digging the God of War 3 music tho :D

I thought Kratos's fatality was fine. What were you expecting?
 
In God of War II Kratos had a lot of disembowelment and dismemberment moves, so maybe something along those lines. I'm not after extra gore but a move that at least looks like something that could have came from the games that Kratos is the protagonist in.

It's no big deal to me since I'm not allowed to play the game anyway.
 
In God of War II Kratos had a lot of disembowelment and dismemberment moves, so maybe something along those lines. I'm not after extra gore but a move that at least looks like something that could have came from the games that Kratos is the protagonist in.

It's no big deal to me since I'm not allowed to play the game anyway.

A disembowelment could have been really cool.
 
Just played the demo and holy shit did it surprise me. Didn't expect it to be this fun. Definitely buying it now.
 
Just played the demo and holy shit did it surprise me. Didn't expect it to be this fun. Definitely buying it now.

Same! I am actually gonna try to hunt down some older copies of the game for my Platstation/N64 to relive younger times.
 
I'm going to take a more serious look at this game . . . I have always liked MK, but in particular I liked MK2 on SNES the most, it was simply the best version of the game.

I've always liked playing Sub Zero because he's the epitome of cheap when played well.

Man I miss those halycon days.
 
I'm going to take a more serious look at this game . . . I have always liked MK, but in particular I liked MK2 on SNES the most, it was simply the best version of the game.

I've always liked playing Sub Zero because he's the epitome of cheap when played well.

Man I miss those halycon days.

So many fights with my brothers because i knew the moves and wouldn't tell them so i always won.

Freeze uppercut, freeze uppercut, freeze uppercut. Haha the good ol days.
 
I'm going to take a more serious look at this game . . . I have always liked MK, but in particular I liked MK2 on SNES the most, it was simply the best version of the game.

I've always liked playing Sub Zero because he's the epitome of cheap when played well.

Man I miss those halycon days.

Then you didn't play enough versions of MKII. The 32X and Saturn versions were better than the SNES version of the game.
 
I thought Kratos's fatality was fine. What were you expecting?

Something more suited to the character. That fatality could be applied to any character.

It actually suites him fine as he has the same sword rammed thru him.....without the upward thrust lol, I just expected more......gore :D

I'm going to take a more serious look at this game . . . I have always liked MK, but in particular I liked MK2 on SNES the most, it was simply the best version of the game.

I've always liked playing Sub Zero because he's the epitome of cheap when played well.

Man I miss those halycon days.

You'll love this game then, very MK2 to me with a smattering of easy to pull of combos....unlike the mk3/umk3 type of dial-a-combo.
 
I had the opposite reaction to the demo - it felt more like MK3 to me.
Lots of chain combos and sequences that should lead to massive combos, but the devs nerfed moves mid sequence to keep you from doing it.
It felt like the later revisions of MK3 where they had toned certain sequences down to the point that moves would just pass through people or damage would be 1/8 of what it should be to keep things from getting crazy.
While Sub Zero has never been really great, his ice moves are slooooow in the demo...to the point that you can really only safely do them when your opponent is either on the ground or a mile away.
 
I agree with both Tigerblade and Dan; for me it's a good blend of MKII/MK3 leaning more on MK3. I'm looking forward to it and I already reserved my pass on the hype train with this one.


I only have one criticism and I know some people might baulk at or not even understand:
Mortal Kombat characters were originally digitized models. This reflected proper proportion to real human bodies, i.e. arms that were muscular but not Herculean. Legs that still looked powerful and real. Heights and body weight were carried in all the right areas. [I'm not talking mocap for movement]

MK1, MK2, and MK3/U all were based on this older digitizing technology and as time has gone on MK devs have moved from the old technologies to more modern and completely CG characters. As such, many characters are more comical in physical scale, being that the characters now are all disproportional and filled out

Why does this even matter?
It's the simple things that matter the most. Earlier MK's were more than semi-believable to the player because they were based on real life people - in this case, people in cosplay. Though you might have never thought about it in this way, I'd be willing to bet that if they leaned out the characters (drop the overly swollen look and fan pandering boobies) in upcoming MK's it would help the series be even more palatable and tangible to the player. It just seems that all modern fighters share this issue. To some it doesn't matter - like Street Fighter, which was always cartoon based and never really was trying to be reality based.

I know this is a long post about something very small, so kudos if you're still reading this.

I cannot wait for Tuesday to play this thing!
 
I agree with both Tigerblade and Dan; for me it's a good blend of MKII/MK3 leaning more on MK3. I'm looking forward to it and I already reserved my pass on the hype train with this one.


I only have one criticism and I know some people might baulk at or not even understand:
Mortal Kombat characters were originally digitized models. This reflected proper proportion to real human bodies, i.e. arms that were muscular but not Herculean. Legs that still looked powerful and real. Heights and body weight were carried in all the right areas. [I'm not talking mocap for movement]

MK1, MK2, and MK3/U all were based on this older digitizing technology and as time has gone on MK devs have moved from the old technologies to more modern and completely CG characters. As such, many characters are more comical in physical scale, being that the characters now are all disproportional and filled out

Sonya's breasts are definitely the biggest (or at least the most gratuitous) in a fighting game since the last DOA.
 
I forgot about that. Was that near the start of GOW2 where Zeus gets him?

Never played 1 or 2! Was the end of 3 IIRC.

I only have one criticism and I know some people might baulk at or not even understand:
Mortal Kombat characters were originally digitized models. This reflected proper proportion to real human bodies, i.e. arms that were muscular but not Herculean. Legs that still looked powerful and real. Heights and body weight were carried in all the right areas. [I'm not talking mocap for movement]

MK1, MK2, and MK3/U all were based on this older digitizing technology and as time has gone on MK devs have moved from the old technologies to more modern and completely CG characters. As such, many characters are more comical in physical scale, being that the characters now are all disproportional and filled out

Why does this even matter?
It's the simple things that matter the most. Earlier MK's were more than semi-believable to the player because they were based on real life people - in this case, people in cosplay. Though you might have never thought about it in this way, I'd be willing to bet that if they leaned out the characters (drop the overly swollen look and fan pandering boobies) in upcoming MK's it would help the series be even more palatable and tangible to the player. It just seems that all modern fighters share this issue. To some it doesn't matter - like Street Fighter, which was always cartoon based and never really was trying to be reality based.

I know this is a long post about something very small, so kudos if you're still reading this.

I cannot wait for Tuesday to play this thing!

Whilst I agree to a certain extent I can't/couldn't see it working for this game. I've been playing alot of MK2/UMK3 over the last week and I think it's style is too retro.....if that makes sense? It's good the series is being re-booted and all the original cast are appearing but it's a reboot....time to move forward.

We don't get it till Thursday/Friday....boo! Classic Sub Zero and Reptile fatalities ftw!!
 
I got Reptile/Sub zero (or was it scorpion...they might have well have done all of them, they all looked the same with pallette swaps) classic (plus fatalities I think) and Kitana classic. I hope amazon ships it quick...less than a week to go.
 
The King of the Hill looks fun, a good social side for group fights etc

Anyone fancy some easy wins feel free to add me on the PS3 version :D
 
I got Reptile/Sub zero (or was it scorpion...they might have well have done all of them, they all looked the same with pallette swaps) classic (plus fatalities I think) and Kitana classic. I hope amazon ships it quick...less than a week to go.

If you got it from Amazon you'll get the classic Reptile and fatality.
 
Can anyone explain the pre-order bonuses to me? Do you get a costume or are the actual characters the pre-order bonus? I go to the party late and could only get in on the Wal-Mart preorder with Mileena. I tried googling all I can find is some folks saying it's costumes some saying it's the actual character. If it matters I got the tournament edition.
 
If you got it from Amazon you'll get the classic Reptile and fatality.

Yes! I checked and it is reptile, subzero costume/fatality and classic kitana. I don't like arcade sticks, and I don't care about $180 figures, but it's weird that Amazon here only have the base edition and not the collectors/tournement (other than a US import) that i've seen in other places.
 
Can anyone explain the pre-order bonuses to me? Do you get a costume or are the actual characters the pre-order bonus? I go to the party late and could only get in on the Wal-Mart preorder with Mileena. I tried googling all I can find is some folks saying it's costumes some saying it's the actual character. If it matters I got the tournament edition.

Its just costumes for the fighters, all versions have mileena all the characters you see in that post above. The only 'exclusive' character is kratos which you wont get if you buy the xbox version.

All of the content will probably be released on the playstation store etc. eventually anyway.
 
I would think the costumes/fatalities would be able to be unlocked via the crypt, you just get them instantly depending on which store it's purchased from.

I'm assuming it's an unlock code, which will be everywhere within a few hours anyway.
 
I would think the costumes/fatalities would be able to be unlocked via the crypt, you just get them instantly depending on which store it's purchased from.

I'm assuming it's an unlock code, which will be everywhere within a few hours anyway.

You would think. Boon has been salivating at the promise of DLC so who knows.
 
You would think. Boon has been salivating at the promise of DLC so who knows.

Instead of releasing the same game 5 times over, we now have DLC, I don't understand the problem? Would you rather buy Alpha 3, Alpha 3 with 3 more characters, Alpha 3 upper (capcom lol), or MK3, UMK3, MK Trilogy (Midway LOL) all for full retail, and none compatible with the other, or just pay for DLC?

Before they'd just toss in 2-4 characters, change the title/menu screen (if they even bothered with that I'm looking at you capcom), rebalance it and sell it again! Now the balance is all done via free patch, and you can pay for the character, you don't have to though, but if you don't you just can't use them, though you might have to play against them.

IMHO, this is a much better system. It never made logical sense why I had to pay for hyper fighter CE, when it was just Street Fighter 2 with some characters unlocked and running at a faster speed, oh and 2 people could play the same character. Not a damn thing changed, but blamo another 80 bucks for the cart or another couple hundred for the arcade board. Likewise, UMK3 and MK3 are the same game, slightly larger roster and some extra stages.

The nickle and diming side of it does seem silly, till you realize that before they'd just straight up rob you in bulk for the new game. At least with the nickle and diming you can play people with the newer version, they can just play as the characters they bought, or use extra customes, who fucking cares?

We also don't have to deal with regional differences, where one combo worked in Japan, kinda in the US, and then not at all in the Euro version because they decided to patch between releases :rolleyes: which is the ultimate stupid.
 
Instead of releasing the same game 5 times over, we now have DLC, I don't understand the problem? Would you rather buy Alpha 3, Alpha 3 with 3 more characters, Alpha 3 upper (capcom lol), or MK3, UMK3, MK Trilogy (Midway LOL) all for full retail, and none compatible with the other, or just pay for DLC?

This is the big flaw in your line of thinking. Its not that they are coming up with these things after the release and saying "shit wish we added that oh well we can sell it as DLC". The REALITY that you are failing to grasp is that they are laving out features on purpose so they can make more money.

10 years ago the game would have had all the characters and features etc. now they release a game with 3/4 of its intended content and sell you the rest little by little.

Also, have you ever heard of a fucking expansion? You dont have to re release a game to add content welcome to 1985 we have this new thing called an expansion pack.

DLC is a joke. Instead of paying $30 for an expansion pack full of new content to add to the game you end up getting nickeled and dimed to get the content that should have been there to begin with.

Its a fucking scam to the core and anyone that supports it is blind.
 
This is the big flaw in your line of thinking. Its not that they are coming up with these things after the release and saying "shit wish we added that oh well we can sell it as DLC". The REALITY that you are failing to grasp is that they are laving out features on purpose so they can make more money.

10 years ago the game would have had all the characters and features etc. now they release a game with 3/4 of its intended content and sell you the rest little by little.

Also, have you ever heard of a fucking expansion? You dont have to re release a game to add content welcome to 1985 we have this new thing called an expansion pack.

DLC is a joke. Instead of paying $30 for an expansion pack full of new content to add to the game you end up getting nickeled and dimed to get the content that should have been there to begin with.

Its a fucking scam to the core and anyone that supports it is blind.

you are aware that before they'd sell games without content they had pretty much completed, just to make time frames, or to make cash, this is nothing new.

Also development costs have gone up, which killed off free expansion backs. And games are far cheaper now than the 80 bucks a top title could cost back in the days.

you have your head up your ass, all we are seeing now is the truth of why we had to buy 4 versions in the past in front of us, and dev costs rising, other than that nothing has changed.

But now we have the internet, so they can sell it bit by bit rather than one big new release.

And no, it would not have. In SF2 all the bosses were locked, they could have let you play them, they could have also let both players pick the same person, they didn't. Then they released CE at another 80 bucks that let you do just that. Then they upped the CPU clock and called it hyper fighter, you paid another 80 bucks. So at the end of the day, you paid 240 bucks for the same game, that's just Capcom, Midway was just as bad.

So if you think they weren't screwing you before, you're dead wrong.
 
sd11 I'm not against DLC and I don't think we are all entitled to endless streams of extra free stuff. I'm talking exclusively about leaving out content Mafia II-style to flog as DLC, or locking content on the disc like Capcom has with . DLC is great for a developer like Bioware that releases a steady stream of mini-expansions to keep the game alive and the community going through an experience they aren't ready to have finished yet. That's cool, you won't find me arguing against that.

I know that a lot of early DLC is stuff generated while the developer staff wait for certification/production/distribution, I'm not arguing with that, but when costumes/characters/game modes are on the disc and waiting for an extra fee to unlock, you know that content was created and put on the disc before it was sent through the process of getting it in our hands. Some material is cut from the end product for the sole purpose of selling as DLC, we've seen it happen before, but it is easier to get away with.

My point is that Boon made it very clear how interested he was in exploiting DLC very early on in interviews. There will definitely be DLC that will be legitimately generated post-game but I'd wager some of it - like the third fatalities for Reptile/Scorpion/Subzero - was trimmed for the purposes of effectively printing money and courting game retailers. Having said that, MK seems to be shipping with a shitload of content so if the worst does happen it won't leave such a bad taste in the mouth.

Is it better than paying for the same game over and over again? Sure. Doesn't make it cool. A crude analogy: dog shit might smell better than cat shit, but it still smells like shit.

Another common argument is "if you don't want to buy it, don't buy it." This is fine for the individual but it does nothing to stop the practice and stop customers not getting everything they pay for. It only works if nobody buys the superfluous DLC, because only then will the developer/publisher say "damn, we fucked up" and stop being underhanded. The infamous Horse Armour DLC got destroyed by the gaming community and Bethesda has been hesitant to pull that crap since, so it's a proven method of response to this crap.
 
Friggin amazon man, still says shipping soon for my tournament edition such bs.
 
sd11 I'm not against DLC and I don't think we are all entitled to endless streams of extra free stuff. I'm talking exclusively about leaving out content Mafia II-style to flog as DLC, or locking content on the disc like Capcom has with . DLC is great for a developer like Bioware that releases a steady stream of mini-expansions to keep the game alive and the community going through an experience they aren't ready to have finished yet. That's cool, you won't find me arguing against that.

I know that a lot of early DLC is stuff generated while the developer staff wait for certification/production/distribution, I'm not arguing with that, but when costumes/characters/game modes are on the disc and waiting for an extra fee to unlock, you know that content was created and put on the disc before it was sent through the process of getting it in our hands. Some material is cut from the end product for the sole purpose of selling as DLC, we've seen it happen before, but it is easier to get away with.

My point is that Boon made it very clear how interested he was in exploiting DLC very early on in interviews. There will definitely be DLC that will be legitimately generated post-game but I'd wager some of it - like the third fatalities for Reptile/Scorpion/Subzero - was trimmed for the purposes of effectively printing money and courting game retailers. Having said that, MK seems to be shipping with a shitload of content so if the worst does happen it won't leave such a bad taste in the mouth.

Is it better than paying for the same game over and over again? Sure. Doesn't make it cool. A crude analogy: dog shit might smell better than cat shit, but it still smells like shit.

Another common argument is "if you don't want to buy it, don't buy it." This is fine for the individual but it does nothing to stop the practice and stop customers not getting everything they pay for. It only works if nobody buys the superfluous DLC, because only then will the developer/publisher say "damn, we fucked up" and stop being underhanded. The infamous Horse Armour DLC got destroyed by the gaming community and Bethesda has been hesitant to pull that crap since, so it's a proven method of response to this crap.

You are aware games used to ship with tons of content on them that just wasn't finished. You can access it through ROMS, emulation, and other trickery. So the practice of shipping games with stuff you can't use isn't new. However in the past it was either never released, or it came out in the next game and they just charged you full price for the exact same product again.

The situation has changed a little bit. Now they can actually patch the game regularly and try to get things working properly, and for this I'm glad as all fighters released in the past have always fallen into the "2 people are glaringly broken, 4 are usuable, and the rest of the cast sucks balls" type problems. And they can sell you/upgrade you to the use the latest content if you'd like.

In a way, things have gotten a lot better. Do you have SSF4 for the PS3, well an upgrade to AE will cost you either 15.00 for it as DLC, or $40 for the game on retail. Both are a discount, rather than having to buy everything all over again at full price.

Is stuff like costumes a money grab? Sure, but two things to keep in mind. Customes are for cosplaying fanboys and idiots, no actual gamers buy that nonsense, and its' also extra cash that makes sure we keep getting these games. And lastly, before hand it didn't really exist at all, because it wasn't worth it.

But people just want shit for free, that's not how things work.
 
You are aware games used to ship with tons of content on them that just wasn't finished. You can access it through ROMS, emulation, and other trickery. So the practice of shipping games with stuff you can't use isn't new. However in the past it was either never released, or it came out in the next game and they just charged you full price for the exact same product again.


Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference between that level or thing they didnt have time to finish and someone making the decision to make it then block it until payment.

The big ass gaping flaw in your logic is still the same. You make the assumption that DLC is something that comes after game development has finished and for the most part you are dead wrong.

DLC these days is made during development dont fool yourself. The only reason 75% of DLC is not included on the disc is good old fashioned greed.

So again, its not a case of devs adding shit later its a case of devs purposely leaving out contend just to bleed more money out of the customers.

Back in the BF2 days with those addons and the like you could make your argument, these days you're just wrong.
 
I don't just want shit for free. I just want what's on the disc that I paid for.

Maybe MKII will set the standard for quality DLC in fighting games with actual new fatalities, new characters, new stages, etc. I am hoping that happens and thus the game stays fresh and people are still playing in the event my backward-government lets me play this mortal threat to my psyche and moral integrity (it's banned in Aus). No other fighting game has fully utilised the potential of DLC, although I did really like how Soulcalibur 4 had every in-game item available as DLC but they could be unlocked through completing story modes, challenges, etc. The option was there to buy that new sword for $0.50 if you couldn't be bothered getting your rage on trying to beat that guy with only jump attacks while you health drains at 10%/second and blindfolded. Tekken 6 and Virtua Fighter 5 didn't have much in the way of good DLC and Street Fighter's DLC has so far just been plain exploitative.
 
Game is great, but like some said... Sub Zero is terribly slow with his ice move. Ground ice especially, he takes a year to shoot it, and he's already been combo'ed to hell by then.
 
Game is great, but like some said... Sub Zero is terribly slow with his ice move. Ground ice especially, he takes a year to shoot it, and he's already been combo'ed to hell by then.

You were always supposed to use ground ice in combos.... not to start them.

I don't just want shit for free. I just want what's on the disc that I paid for.

You've never had all the content that was on the disk you bought. It's business, in a free market you get what they allow you to have on the disk you paid for. This is always how consumer business relations work. The business decides what you get and then maximizes profitability.

In the past, there either wasn't enough time/cash so they locked it, or they locked it to sell you the next one later. And as a business, they are correct, as a consumer you are wrong. Currently they now have the option, of selling it to you for less down the road, and companies are starting to do this.

Capitalism and free market = business is always correct.

Maybe MKII will set the standard for quality DLC in fighting games with actual new fatalities, new characters, new stages, etc. I am hoping that happens and thus the game stays fresh and people are still playing in the event my backward-government lets me play this mortal threat to my psyche and moral integrity (it's banned in Aus). No other fighting game has fully utilised the potential of DLC,

Ummm... Blaze Blue? BBCS released to hit schedule, shortly after that the Arcade Version (CS2) came out with new characters and some other items. The new characters were sold online at 5 each (three of them) and the balance patches were shifted in as well along with other content. If you didn't want to buy the characters, they'd just download so you could play against people using them, just can't use them yourself.

The full CS2 patch, which includes a ton of fixes, new ranked/challenge items, and a slew of other fixes to bring it up to the arcade build, is completely free.

So you bought BBCS, and then for 15 bucks (3 characters) and free DLC you get BBCS2, rather than pay again.
 
Back
Top