• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Methinks you haven't played SF4 online. It's full of cheap spamming scrubs, being such an expert surely you'd know that tho?

When has tournament fighting been the be all and end all anyway? What happened to chillin' out with mates and having fun playing any fighting game?

Yeah MK is one of those games that literally anyone can play and have fun, even if you have no idea what you're doing.

Getting this tomorrow, my PSN ID is Ace3kd if anyone wants to game. (I'm not any good right now though!)
 
I get tired hearing talk between US and Japanese style of fighters. Yes, US devs are much more self depreciating within stories and characters. But is the gameplay really that different? Ill never understand why SF is the defacto pro series while MK is the laughing stock, it senseless and based on unfounded expectations. Back in the day in the arcades the MKII players were much more precise in their movements and technical usage as compared to other fighters.

Mortal Kombat has never had the depth of the Street Fighter series. This isn't a bad thing per say, but it's just not there. There really aren't one frame links, frame traps, or any other high level play staples in the game. They don't exist, and where they do it's incredibly shallow.

Japanese fighters are just vastly more technical, and it's always been that way. Largely because of their fanatical and odd arcade scene.

Methinks you haven't played SF4 online. It's full of cheap spamming scrubs, being such an expert surely you'd know that tho?

When has tournament fighting been the be all and end all anyway? What happened to chillin' out with mates and having fun playing any fighting game?

Good players don't play online really. There are monthly, if not weekly, gatherings in just about any area. Judging skill by online is really silly.

There is nothing wrong with having fun, that's what most people do. But if you have a local scene and are part of it, it's going to be tournament based. Since inevitably some people will go to regionals or other events. In my case I can grab about 6 people on any give weeknight, go to a friends arcade on the weekend, and go to a weekly or monthly event any weekend. Tournament rules are standard.

People have fun, and there are plenty of joke matches. But people also throw down cash and play serious as well.
 
Methinks you haven't played SF4 online. It's full of cheap spamming scrubs, being such an expert surely you'd know that tho?

When has tournament fighting been the be all and end all anyway? What happened to chillin' out with mates and having fun playing any fighting game?

I couldn't have said it better myself.
 
Mortal Kombat has never had the depth of the Street Fighter series. This isn't a bad thing per say, but it's just not there. There really aren't one frame links, frame traps, or any other high level play staples in the game. They don't exist, and where they do it's incredibly shallow.

Japanese fighters are just vastly more technical, and it's always been that way. Largely because of their fanatical and odd arcade scene.



Good players don't play online really. There are monthly, if not weekly, gatherings in just about any area. Judging skill by online is really silly.

There is nothing wrong with having fun, that's what most people do. But if you have a local scene and are part of it, it's going to be tournament based. Since inevitably some people will go to regionals or other events. In my case I can grab about 6 people on any give weeknight, go to a friends arcade on the weekend, and go to a weekly or monthly event any weekend. Tournament rules are standard.

People have fun, and there are plenty of joke matches. But people also throw down cash and play serious as well.

I'll give you that. There is a certain amount of depth and strategy absent in previous Mortal Kombat games and while this new one may not match Super Street Fighter IV in all those areas, it's by far the best Mortal Kombat to date in that regard.

And people paying cash and playing tournaments has nothing to do with it. Games like these weren't initially intended for tournament play. I'd wager that the original developers of Street Fighter and Street Fighter II had no idea their games would end up with the popularity and the following they've had even after all these years. Developers are now aware that these games are used in tournaments etc. and they may take that into account now, but not originally. The tournament circles that popped up around the game really had nothing to do with the game. It's something people chose to do because some people make virtually any kind of game into serious competition. Like pool, darts, chess, anything.
 
I'll give you that. There is a certain amount of depth and strategy absent in previous Mortal Kombat games and while this new one may not match Super Street Fighter IV in all those areas, it's by far the best Mortal Kombat to date in that regard.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I don't think everything should cater to the hyper competitive crowd. And there are a lot of things I think MK9 does better than the other fighters of this generation. The single player story mode is a god send. It's much better than slapping an intro scene and a win scene onto a game and calling it a day. It's also great for casual players to force them to switch things up and adds a ton of play value to the game. It's clear they put a lot of effort and love into it, and as cheesy as it is people should take notice. Blaz-Blue did something similar, and I hope this is a trend as it will pull more new blood into the genre.

The single player options are something that helps and will keep the game fresh for new comers. Not everybody is going to look up frame data and spend hundreds of hours in training mode perfecting esoteric frame traps and combos, and to be good at Capcom or Ark Systems Works games that's kinda mandatory.

I think it's a more polished and more complete game than what Capcom has put out, but it's still MK and still falls short on depth, which for most people isn't an issue.

And people paying cash and playing tournaments has nothing to do with it. Games like these weren't initially intended for tournament play. I'd wager that the original developers of Street Fighter and Street Fighter II had no idea their games would end up with the popularity and the following they've had even after all these years. Developers are now aware that these games are used in tournaments etc. and they may take that into account now, but not originally. The tournament circles that popped up around the game really had nothing to do with the game. It's something people chose to do because some people make virtually any kind of game into serious competition. Like pool, darts, chess, anything.

They weren't originally, but that's changed a fair bit over time. Japanese developers play test builds and patches with top players in arcades there and tweak things along the lines. While that helps iron out a lot of the stupid (you can tell when a game wasn't tested) it also means the people testing it are the ones who demand insane levels of depth and overly technical crap at the highest level. There is a learning curve for a while and then a giant learning cliff that most people will never hurdle.

I like both approaches, there is room for both of them.
 
Sometimes when they re-balance characters for high level play it can cripple casual games.
I have friends who play SF4 very casually and they're all convinced that Ken HAS to be the best character because he inflicts insane amounts of damage with almost no effort...and the way they play it's pretty much true.
While those tactics are worthless at high levels (most of it is geared around his mid-kick) he really is pretty godlike for low levels. Uppercut vs. throw mix ups, HUGE damage from the EX hurricane or fierce upper, and an ultra that'll blast through any poke in the game.
You can't balance every character for every skill level.
 
I DEMAND A PC VERSION

It would be nice and there is some hope of seeing one. After all I have seen earlier Mortal Kombat games ported to PC many times. However, the ports usually aren't all that great. They are typically ported by bottom of the barrel companies who do the bare minimum to make it work on the PC. I don't think I'd like that too much.
 
playing this game with the TE stick is just amazing.. so gr8

Yeah I wish I had one of those. Sadly I do not and won't likely be buying one in the near future. Though the XBOX 360 controller is working pretty well for me. As surprising as that is.
 
I bought the tournament edition yesterday and been having alot of fun. Brings back alot of memories of being 10 years old going to the movies and then playing the arcades in the early 90s. My only real complaint so far is having to goto the moves list every minute. I need to print that shit out lol.
 
I bought the tournament edition yesterday and been having alot of fun. Brings back alot of memories of being 10 years old going to the movies and then playing the arcades in the early 90s. My only real complaint so far is having to goto the moves list every minute. I need to print that shit out lol.

I despise game guides, but I think I might pick one up just because I hate looking up the moves as well.
 
I despise game guides, but I think I might pick one up just because I hate looking up the moves as well.

I just throw them all into a text file and print them out if I feel the need to have them near by and am not playing near my computer. This game also has the moves list. The only thing it doesn't tell you are the distances you need.
 
This is gonna be stupid question but how do you use the alternate costumes? I unlocked Noob's last night and went to the temple an unlocked it but when I choose him on a ladder match I get no option to change the outfit when you hit the player options in the character select menu.
 
This is gonna be stupid question but how do you use the alternate costumes? I unlocked Noob's last night and went to the temple an unlocked it but when I choose him on a ladder match I get no option to change the outfit when you hit the player options in the character select menu.

Press the start button on the character you want to use. It will then bring up a costume selection menu. So far not every character seems to have alternates. What's odd is that Cyrax and Sektor have their alternate costumes and only one icon in the selection screen and you use that to select between their cyber and human versions but Sub-Zero and Cyber Sub-Zero are treated as entirely separate characters. Though Cyber Sub-Zero's move set is very different from his standard form. Whereas Sektor and Cyrax are pretty much the same between human / cyber forms.
 
Press the start button on the character you want to use. It will then bring up a costume selection menu. So far not every character seems to have alternates. What's odd is that Cyrax and Sektor have their alternate costumes and only one icon in the selection screen and you use that to select between their cyber and human versions but Sub-Zero and Cyber Sub-Zero are treated as entirely separate characters. Though Cyber Sub-Zero's move set is very different from his standard form. Whereas Sektor and Cyrax are pretty much the same between human / cyber forms.

There are also two Sub Zeros, younger and older brother versions. The younger version is the "old" Sub Zero and the Cyber, or "un-masked" in UMK3/MK3 is the older brother. So it's not the same guy.

Sometimes when they re-balance characters for high level play it can cripple casual games.
I have friends who play SF4 very casually and they're all convinced that Ken HAS to be the best character because he inflicts insane amounts of damage with almost no effort...and the way they play it's pretty much true.
While those tactics are worthless at high levels (most of it is geared around his mid-kick) he really is pretty godlike for low levels. Uppercut vs. throw mix ups, HUGE damage from the EX hurricane or fierce upper, and an ultra that'll blast through any poke in the game.
You can't balance every character for every skill level.

This happens in MK as well though. Sub Zero is consistently low, or low mid tier (baring un masked sub in MK3 and only because most characters sucked in that, he dropped back to suckage in UMK3 and old school is bad in that one). However he's by far the easiest character to use, and he's effective against beginners and people that don't know how to play the game. He's also a fan favorite. But once you cross into high level play, he gets utterly demolished.

Balance should really be done for the top levels, at low levels people screw up enough, drop enough combos, don't fully know the engines, and make enough mistakes it's not worth worrying over.
 
Press the start button on the character you want to use. It will then bring up a costume selection menu. So far not every character seems to have alternates. What's odd is that Cyrax and Sektor have their alternate costumes and only one icon in the selection screen and you use that to select between their cyber and human versions but Sub-Zero and Cyber Sub-Zero are treated as entirely separate characters. Though Cyber Sub-Zero's move set is very different from his standard form. Whereas Sektor and Cyrax are pretty much the same between human / cyber forms.

Thanks man
 
There are also two Sub Zeros, younger and older brother versions. The younger version is the "old" Sub Zero and the Cyber, or "un-masked" in UMK3/MK3 is the older brother. So it's not the same guy.

In this instance they are the same guy. The original Sub-Zero is Noob Saibot (who is killed by Scorpion during the first part of the game which is more or less the MKI part of the game) and regular Sub-Zero (from that point on) is the younger Sub-Zero / Unmasked Sub-Zero from MK3. It is this Sub-Zero who goes on to become Cyber Sub-Zero. Of course this is in the story mode. In other modes of play the normal Sub-Zero could be interpreted as either the original or the new one and of course the Cyber Sub-Zero is always the younger (unmasked) Sub-Zero from MK3.
 
In this instance they are the same guy. The original Sub-Zero is Noob Saibot (who is killed by Scorpion during the first part of the game which is more or less the MKI part of the game) and regular Sub-Zero (from that point on) is the younger Sub-Zero / Unmasked Sub-Zero from MK3. It is this Sub-Zero who goes on to become Cyber Sub-Zero. Of course this is in the story mode. In other modes of play the normal Sub-Zero could be interpreted as either the original or the new one and of course the Cyber Sub-Zero is always the younger (unmasked) Sub-Zero from MK3.

Yeah they hosed the story, Smoke was actually the one that got turned into a Cyborg originally, not that it matters.
 
Yeah they hosed the story, Smoke was actually the one that got turned into a Cyborg originally, not that it matters.

Well that's in the original version. Things are different in the new timeline. :cool:
 
Finally beaten Shao Kahn.... he's easy, after you exploit him. If you try normal fight with combos and punches and kicks it will not work. Which means that it's poorly designed boss.

Oh, and it seems, that according to the ending cutscene we will either see DLC or new MK game in production :) Can't wait tho :)
 
Finally beaten Shao Kahn.... he's easy, after you exploit him. If you try normal fight with combos and punches and kicks it will not work. Which means that it's poorly designed boss.

Oh, and it seems, that according to the ending cutscene we will either see DLC or new MK game in production :) Can't wait tho :)

That's how MK bosses have always been, it's a throw back. The CPU is never a challenge in fighting games no matter what difficulty anyways. it's more just a target dummy.
 
Press the start button on the character you want to use. It will then bring up a costume selection menu. So far not every character seems to have alternates.

Here's all the alt costumes and a printable guide (everyone except Kratos has one).

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/mk9/krypt.htm

The krypt looks accurate, I've unlocked all the costumes and the fatalities.

The move guide, unfortunately, is not. Most of them are correct (I'm using the PS3 version) but some don't even reflect what's in the move list in game =/

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/mk9/main_ps3.htm

Here's another, but some of them are incorrect as well.

http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_9/moves

But they help in getting the babalities and pit fatalities.

If anyone has an actual *accurate* list, please post it.
 
Here's all the alt costumes and a printable guide (everyone except Kratos has one).

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/mk9/krypt.htm

The krypt looks accurate, I've unlocked all the costumes and the fatalities.

The move guide, unfortunately, is not. Most of them are correct (I'm using the PS3 version) but some don't even reflect what's in the move list in game =/

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/mk9/main_ps3.htm

Here's another, but some of them are incorrect as well.

http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_9/moves

But they help in getting the babalities and pit fatalities.

If anyone has an actual *accurate* list, please post it.

I still don't think they all have an alternate exactly. Cyber Sub-Zero doesn't seem to have an alternate costume. Everyone else does. Though you could argue that Sub-Zero has his human form and his cyber form like Cyrax and Sektor, but I find it odd that they treat those two and Sub-Zero differently in regard to human / cyber forms. That's what I was thinking of when I said that. I've unlocked the costumes for everyone so I've seen their alternates now.

I've noticed that there is no guide that's 100% accurate with regards to the moves besides the game. Unfortunately it doesn't display them all in the moves list until you've done them. The information on the babalities is really sketchy right now. I can only find accurate working inputs for one or two characters. Oh, and once you've been through the trainers or you've done the fatality in the game, you do get the distances listed in the moves list. It's nice that you can pause, call up the moves list in the game and input the correct moves to perform the fatality.
 
Damn amazon, I got my codes today. But apparently it wont come in the mail until the 27th...:( It was supposed to be 1-3 days!
 
Finally beaten Shao Kahn.... he's easy, after you exploit him. If you try normal fight with combos and punches and kicks it will not work. Which means that it's poorly designed boss.

Oh, and it seems, that according to the ending cutscene we will either see DLC or new MK game in production :) Can't wait tho :)

Oddly enough, I enjoyed the story mode quite a bit. Getting to play as various characters was definitely fun. :D

I really wonder what they're going to do story-wise as far as DLC or a new game goes. I mean everyone is dead except Sonya, Johnny Cage, and Raiden (on the Earthrealm side at least). I don't really remember who died on the Outworld/Netherrealm side aside from Sindel, Shang Tsung, and Shao Kahn. I'm guessing that maybe they all get resurrected somehow?

Finding the hidden characters in Arcade Mode is such a PITA. I happened across the hidden Klassic Reptile easy enough. I happened to be on the Pit (Night) stage and saw a shadow fly across the moon. I got a double flawless and then did a stage fatality, then BOOM! The next stage was on the pit floor versus Klassic Reptile, with his combination of Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's attacks in addition to his own.

Finding Jade took me forever. All the guides say to just get a double flawless and perform a fatality on Shang Tsung, but there's more to it than that. You have to lose NO rounds whatsoever. That includes when you're fighting Shang Tsung. That basically means you have to get a double flawless right when you meet him.

The other two hidden characters (Smoke and Noob) don't seem too hard to find. Again, it's mostly chance that you get the conditions to fight them.
 
Damn amazon, I got my codes today. But apparently it wont come in the mail until the 27th...:( It was supposed to be 1-3 days!

I did a release date delivery on mine when I pre-ordered it. It arrived on the 19th as promised. When did you place your order?
 
Oddly enough, I enjoyed the story mode quite a bit. Getting to play as various characters was definitely fun. :D

I really wonder what they're going to do story-wise as far as DLC or a new game goes. I mean everyone is dead except Sonya, Johnny Cage, and Raiden (on the Earthrealm side at least). I don't really remember who died on the Outworld/Netherrealm side aside from Sindel, Shang Tsung, and Shao Kahn. I'm guessing that maybe they all get resurrected somehow?

Finding the hidden characters in Arcade Mode is such a PITA. I happened across the hidden Klassic Reptile easy enough. I happened to be on the Pit (Night) stage and saw a shadow fly across the moon. I got a double flawless and then did a stage fatality, then BOOM! The next stage was on the pit floor versus Klassic Reptile, with his combination of Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's attacks in addition to his own.

Finding Jade took me forever. All the guides say to just get a double flawless and perform a fatality on Shang Tsung, but there's more to it than that. You have to lose NO rounds whatsoever. That includes when you're fighting Shang Tsung. That basically means you have to get a double flawless right when you meet him.

The other two hidden characters (Smoke and Noob) don't seem too hard to find. Again, it's mostly chance that you get the conditions to fight them.

I enjoyed the story mode quite a bit myself. Much more than I expected. More than I have in any fighting game to date.

Given how the game ended with everyone's souls being in the Netherrealm I don't think resurrecting any of the characters would be too challenging from a story perspective.
 
I did a release date delivery on mine when I pre-ordered it. It arrived on the 19th as promised. When did you place your order?

Well the europe release was the 21st, but I ordered it...on about the 12th of march. I suppose it isn't the same amazon! (US vs UK) for tax reasons or something they have the main warehouse on an island off the coast, which is where it's being shipped from!

I want this now :D
 
Well the europe release was the 21st, but I ordered it...on about the 12th of march. I suppose it isn't the same amazon! (US vs UK) for tax reasons or something they have the main warehouse on an island off the coast, which is where it's being shipped from!

I want this now :D

I've wanted this game ever since it was shown at E3. I've been a fan of the franchise for a long time, but never felt the same satisfaction in playing it after Ultimate MK3. I really liked MKII the best, but I enjoyed MK3 well enough. From MK4 onward I felt fairly disappointed with each game. Mortal Kombat vs. DC was decent enough, but the fatalities were unsatisfying due to their toned down nature. This new Mortal Kombat game is everything I've wanted from an updated Mortal Kombat game and then some. It's so far exceeded my fairly high expectations and I'm really enjoying the game despite not having enough time to play it as much as I'd like right now.
 
I've wanted this game ever since it was shown at E3. I've been a fan of the franchise for a long time, but never felt the same satisfaction in playing it after Ultimate MK3. I really liked MKII the best, but I enjoyed MK3 well enough. From MK4 onward I felt fairly disappointed with each game. Mortal Kombat vs. DC was decent enough, but the fatalities were unsatisfying due to their toned down nature. This new Mortal Kombat game is everything I've wanted from an updated Mortal Kombat game and then some. It's so far exceeded my fairly high expectations and I'm really enjoying the game despite not having enough time to play it as much as I'd like right now.

All of this, +1
 
I've wanted this game ever since it was shown at E3. I've been a fan of the franchise for a long time, but never felt the same satisfaction in playing it after Ultimate MK3. I really liked MKII the best, but I enjoyed MK3 well enough. From MK4 onward I felt fairly disappointed with each game. Mortal Kombat vs. DC was decent enough, but the fatalities were unsatisfying due to their toned down nature. This new Mortal Kombat game is everything I've wanted from an updated Mortal Kombat game and then some. It's so far exceeded my fairly high expectations and I'm really enjoying the game despite not having enough time to play it as much as I'd like right now.

I have wnated it for a long time too :D I was waiting for the different editions to appear however (amazon here never got the kollectors edition like other places, it was only offered as an import from the US) and couldn't decide between different pre order bonuses!

Wasn't the US version of MKvDC more censored than the europe version? Something like not showing the joker shoot someone, whereas in the europe version you did? I remember someone going on about it.

I must admit to being kind of put off by all of the 3d mortal kombats up until this one. The early examples looked pretty horrendous, and had bad reveiws in the magazine I read at the time, plus there was a huge batch of newer fight series around that looked better and played better and offered more "stuff", so it kind of fell to the side.

But this game does seem to have what the other games lacked. It looks decent, it plays better and has more of the feel of the original games somehow, and has the correct rating (like you said) instead of been a teen game. It seems to come at the right time too.
 
I have wnated it for a long time too :D I was waiting for the different editions to appear however (amazon here never got the kollectors edition like other places, it was only offered as an import from the US) and couldn't decide between different pre order bonuses!

Wasn't the US version of MKvDC more censored than the europe version? Something like not showing the joker shoot someone, whereas in the europe version you did? I remember someone going on about it.

I must admit to being kind of put off by all of the 3d mortal kombats up until this one. The early examples looked pretty horrendous, and had bad reveiws in the magazine I read at the time, plus there was a huge batch of newer fight series around that looked better and played better and offered more "stuff", so it kind of fell to the side.

But this game does seem to have what the other games lacked. It looks decent, it plays better and has more of the feel of the original games somehow, and has the correct rating (like you said) instead of been a teen game. It seems to come at the right time too.

Yes, the Joker's fatality was censored even more on the U.S. version. I'm uncertain why, but that was indeed the case. What's funny is Shang Tsung actually still does this fatality in the new game, but they show the whole thing. However instead of appearing as the Joker, he appears as a creepy clown with a similar build. The voice work sounds about the same and the fatality is basically the same with the new character models.
 
Finally got mine today but thanks to the psn being down, cant enter any of my codes.
Side note, happy I even have it. USPS decided to put my box outside my main door and I live on a main street so it was pretty much saying, "take me". its sidewalk, my door.
Doing story mode now and they did a great job with that. One of the best so far
 
Story mode is fun, feels like I'm playing the first Mortal Kombat movie which isn't a bad thing at all.
 
Shang Tsung's Joker fatality is 1000 times more violent than the one from MK vs DC. Joker did shoot the victim in the head, but there was only a puff of blood as the result. The head didn't disintegrate into a hundred pieces with realistic gore like in MK2011.
 
Shang Tsung's Joker fatality is 1000 times more violent than the one from MK vs DC. Joker did shoot the victim in the head, but there was only a puff of blood as the result. The head didn't disintegrate into a hundred pieces with realistic gore like in MK2011.

I wouldn't say that's realistic, but it is gory.
 
Back
Top