Mortal Kombat (2011)

well worth the 30 dollars i payed for it. I initially balked since it was either portal or mortal kombat, but not both. Since TRU has the 30 dollar deal i couldn't pass it up. It is much more satisfying than the Marvel vs Capcom 3 is which i payed full price . Though i still enjoy playing, Mortal kombat on the other hand has far exceeded my expectations especially for a fighter. The Story Mode is kinda corny so far, but it is pretty good. The DLC shit is kind of bullshit since its all on the disc already just the codes are needed to unlock them.
 
The Prima guide is disappointing. The combo's shown are number of hits instead of damage percentage. Back in the days of MK2 and MK3 the guides by the same publisher would show damage percentages.

It also doesn't directly go over all 300 challenges. Nor does it cover the locked fatalities and babalities.

When I buy a game guide, I expect it to be detailed. I'm better off with IGN's online guide. Sad.
 
The Prima guide is disappointing. The combo's shown are number of hits instead of damage percentage. Back in the days of MK2 and MK3 the guides by the same publisher would show damage percentages.

It also doesn't directly go over all 300 challenges. Nor does it cover the locked fatalities and babalities.

When I buy a game guide, I expect it to be detailed. I'm better off with IGN's online guide. Sad.

I don't know why you expect that much from a strategy guide for a fighter, they are generally bad. Other than a rare few ones for Capcom or Ark Systems where they actually paid top players with proven high level tournament wins to contribute, the information is mostly garbage. Plus it's all invalid within a month of release when mid to high tier players have come up with far more power combos and far better tactics than anything that was in the guide. And now with the advent of patches a lot of things that did work no longer do.

I'd start here http://shoryuken.com/f345/ and here http://www.testyourmight.com/forum/

Why care about fatalities and babilities? They have nothing to do with gameplay or win or lose, crush the sucker and tap them with LP, a win is a win ;)
 
I don't know why you expect that much from a strategy guide for a fighter, they are generally bad. Other than a rare few ones for Capcom or Ark Systems where they actually paid top players with proven high level tournament wins to contribute, the information is mostly garbage. Plus it's all invalid within a month of release when mid to high tier players have come up with far more power combos and far better tactics than anything that was in the guide. And now with the advent of patches a lot of things that did work no longer do.

I'd start here http://shoryuken.com/f345/ and here http://www.testyourmight.com/forum/

Why care about fatalities and babilities? They have nothing to do with gameplay or win or lose, crush the sucker and tap them with LP, a win is a win ;)

Screw that, getting that fatality performed is extremely satisfying to me. It's part of the gaming experience and the appeal of the series.
 
Screw that, getting that fatality performed is extremely satisfying to me. It's part of the gaming experience and the appeal of the series.

What ever floats your boat. I'm just saying it has no outcome on the effect of the match. I always learned how to do them just to see them, and then shit canned them and never bothered again. I've seen a lot of good players when not on arcade, just quit out and go to character select rather than waste time on fatalities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57nvfTCtec&feature=player_embedded

Anyways, it's from WNF their MK matches, mostly Smoke and Ermac but given the tiers that's to be expected. I doubt MK will last at major competition so it's good to enjoy this stuff while it lasts. WNF is casuals but some good people show up, just solid basics.

And for Dan, you'll notice most of the better place just hit the guy, or straight pause to character select rather than bother with fatalities ;) You'll also notice breakers are hands down the best use of meter, x-ray can go suck a dick. Hell even ex moves can lead to better combos. SInce I know you play Smoke, you'll probably enjoy some of the matches, nobody is going for crazy combos yet, just the basics to get you by.
 
sd11, you're (wrongly) assuming once again that everyone that plays this is super hardcore about it and NEXT MATCH GOGOGO.

The large majority of the playerbase doesn't care if Fatalities and Babalities waste time, they're cool and fun to watch and that's really all that matters to them.
 
I just wish that game makers would make multiple versions of their cinematic type of moves. So in MK I wish that the X-Ray and Fatalities were a little different. Still do them the same way (maybe make a way of picking which happens) but instead of watching the exact same X-Ray or Fatality over and over again have at least a couple different ones that do the same damage. Yeah theres different Fatalitys but theres still only ~4 per character and each one is always the same.
How about instead of Liu Kang always turning into a dragon and biting you in half, he turns into a dragon and burns you to a crisp or crushes you, or tail whips your head off.
Or when Kabal does a X-Ray how about him doing a super fast clothsline that flips you over and then he stabs you mid air and slams you down, or he just runs behind really fast stabs you snaps your neck and then throws you.
As long as the characters end up in the same spots, the gameplay won't be affected but it will take longer to get bored of the cinematic moves.
 
sd11, you're (wrongly) assuming once again that everyone that plays this is super hardcore about it and NEXT MATCH GOGOGO.

Enjoy the vid and watch some mid to top players pulling off standard combos that everybody should be able to do, messing up a bit (game hasn't been out that long) and getting things done. Learn something from it and move up a notch. The player names are familiar, it's good mid level smoke combos and mid level Kang combos, and some Ermac's figuring things out.

There isn't much hardcore about that vid.
 
Last edited:
I just wish that game makers would make multiple versions of their cinematic type of moves. So in MK I wish that the X-Ray and Fatalities were a little different. Still do them the same way (maybe make a way of picking which happens) but instead of watching the exact same X-Ray or Fatality over and over again have at least a couple different ones that do the same damage. Yeah theres different Fatalitys but theres still only ~4 per character and each one is always the same.
How about instead of Liu Kang always turning into a dragon and biting you in half, he turns into a dragon and burns you to a crisp or crushes you, or tail whips your head off.
Or when Kabal does a X-Ray how about him doing a super fast clothsline that flips you over and then he stabs you mid air and slams you down, or he just runs behind really fast stabs you snaps your neck and then throws you.
As long as the characters end up in the same spots, the gameplay won't be affected but it will take longer to get bored of the cinematic moves.

Of the people who will be playing this the longest, the core base, which is not what is online, and will come to another right off the bat, nobody uses x-ray's or fatalities.

X-ray is an utter waste of meter. Before you hit it you can use a breaker, which is the best use, to get out of a combo or mount a counter, far better use since most standard combos can spit out x-ray level damage. Or turn into an EX which can extend or create far larger combos. So if they don't have a breaker blow the bar at EX level and face rape the sucker, and if they do have an EX go for the combo and accept you'll get breaker fully on. X-rays are not actually that common in most cases. Waiting for an x-ray denies you breakers that can get you killed or denies you an ex when they don't have a breaker for sure damage. It looks cool, but it's a waste of meter.
 
I use breakers when needed, but I've found X-Ray's are a good way to land some damage and even things up in a match. I typically save for an X-Ray, but if I have to break out of a combo, that comes first. I've turned probable defeat into victory with X-Ray moves many times.
 
Of the people who will be playing this the longest, the core base, which is not what is online, and will come to another right off the bat, nobody uses x-ray's or fatalities.

X-ray is an utter waste of meter. Before you hit it you can use a breaker, which is the best use, to get out of a combo or mount a counter, far better use since most standard combos can spit out x-ray level damage. Or turn into an EX which can extend or create far larger combos. So if they don't have a breaker blow the bar at EX level and face rape the sucker, and if they do have an EX go for the combo and accept you'll get breaker fully on. X-rays are not actually that common in most cases. Waiting for an x-ray denies you breakers that can get you killed or denies you an ex when they don't have a breaker for sure damage. It looks cool, but it's a waste of meter.

A lot of people might not use them much but they are still in the game and there are people that will use them a fair bit. Besides it probably wouldn't be that hard or time consuming to make different versions of the moves. Plus I was talking about games with cinematic type moves in general (not just MK or even just fighting games) and some of those games make those moves more important.
 
I use breakers when needed, but I've found X-Ray's are a good way to land some damage and even things up in a match. I typically save for an X-Ray, but if I have to break out of a combo, that comes first. I've turned probable defeat into victory with X-Ray moves many times.

The way I see it is this, an average combo is 20-40% of your life on a good one, I can stop that quick if it's a solid combo twice before I get enough for an x-ray. Or if they don't have an x-ray I can ex before they have one to get even more damage out of that starting combo. So the net transaction in damage, is always worse if you wait for the x-ray unless the guy you are playing just can't deliver on a bread and butter combo.

Watch those vids, some of the combos are telling, and they happen a lot.
 
A lot of people might not use them much but they are still in the game and there are people that will use them a fair bit. Besides it probably wouldn't be that hard or time consuming to make different versions of the moves. Plus I was talking about games with cinematic type moves in general (not just MK or even just fighting games) and some of those games make those moves more important.

To be frank I'm not a fan of cinematic moves in general, and it's caused a lot of random nonsense this generation of fighters because of it and caused a lot of the recent "WTF happened" moments. I do think MK's "button masher" mentality handles them better simply because "one hit all connect" level of idiocy causes less moments for the reverse "let's combine skilled juggles with noobish 1 hit connects in the same thing, that will be the best of both" that other games tried for. But in general I think moves like that should best left as they once were without a cinematic and a simple animation with the standard hit properites.

It's cinematics that have caused the current "Cage kills you in two hits and gets a free x-ray" problem going around now.

I know they want to show off with GFX, but seriously gameplay is more important that GFX, knock the crud off.

And after a while, it's not even random. You know how to abuse it to break the game engine, so does everybody else and you end up with a mess.
 
To be frank I'm not a fan of cinematic moves in general, and it's caused a lot of random nonsense this generation of fighters because of it and caused a lot of the recent "WTF happened" moments. I do think MK's "button masher" mentality handles them better simply because "one hit all connect" level of idiocy causes less moments for the reverse "let's combine skilled juggles with noobish 1 hit connects in the same thing, that will be the best of both" that other games tried for. But in general I think moves like that should best left as they once were without a cinematic and a simple animation with the standard hit properites.

It's cinematics that have caused the current "Cage kills you in two hits and gets a free x-ray" problem going around now.

I know they want to show off with GFX, but seriously gameplay is more important that GFX, knock the crud off.

And after a while, it's not even random. You know how to abuse it to break the game engine, so does everybody else and you end up with a mess.

I wouldn't mind if they disappeared either but I don't think they will. A lot of people like the wow factor of them but just like the Fatalitys once you've seen it once theres not much of a reason to see it again unless you want to show a friend that hasn't seen it. For instance I thought God of War had some cool cutscene attacks where you attack the minotaurs and cyclops but after seeing it a couple times it got boring. But if they had just made Kratos do some different stuff I wouldn't of got bored of them.

I think fighting games with cinematics get boring even faster since your fighting one on one and being active and then all of a sudden you can't do anything for 5 seconds.
 
I throught I had saw a way to disable the xray cinematics when i first checked out the settings. Now that beat the story mode and am tired of watching the xray moves I realized you cant. While at first they were fun to watch, now they just break up the fight and i find myself getting bored with the games during them.
 
How can you get bored during an X-ray? It lasts a max of about 3-4 seconds....if you get bored in that time frame what do you do when a game loads? If you seriously get bored (which I highly doubt) it's probably time to give up gaming altogether. IMO it's just there to add extra brutality and a move to mimic SF4's Ultra's. It's a surefire way of pulling yourself back into into a match if done right (like the Ultra) and if combo'ing is the be all and end all to you it's also possible to combo into them.......

Mortal Kombat wouldn't be MK without Fatalities. Each to their own but destroying someone completely as they watch helpless after you have battered them is again the essence of MK.
 
On previous MKs I tended to only use fatalities against the AI. Against my friends I just finished with an uppercut or something.
 
Methinks you haven't played SF4 online. It's full of cheap spamming scrubs, being such an expert surely you'd know that tho?

When has tournament fighting been the be all and end all anyway? What happened to chillin' out with mates and having fun playing any fighting game?

I haven't really played SF4 online that much, but I do play Super Street Fighter 4 online a lot. Sure there's always the "spamming scrubs", but if you're good you can also counter it. Such as focus attack, use it to build your special meter. I don't find bad games fun.


Someone sucks at MK2.;)

I do suck at bad games, specially games that have shitty hit boxes and bad fighting engine. MK is the only fighting game that have a block button, most other fighting games you just have to hold back on the stick. Think of it as playing a FPS on the PC, when most of the FPS you use the left mouse click to fire, but this time you have to use the shift key to fire.

I haven't played the new MK so I'm not going to comment on it, but the old ones were just crap, the only reason they sold well was the blood and gore not the awesome fighting engine
 
Last edited:
How can you get bored during an X-ray? It lasts a max of about 3-4 seconds....if you get bored in that time frame what do you do when a game loads? If you seriously get bored (which I highly doubt) it's probably time to give up gaming altogether. IMO it's just there to add extra brutality and a move to mimic SF4's Ultra's. It's a surefire way of pulling yourself back into into a match if done right (like the Ultra) and if combo'ing is the be all and end all to you it's also possible to combo into them.......

Mortal Kombat wouldn't be MK without Fatalities. Each to their own but destroying someone completely as they watch helpless after you have battered them is again the essence of MK.

Well said.
 
Enjoy the vid and watch some mid to top players pulling off standard combos that everybody should be able to do, messing up a bit (game hasn't been out that long) and getting things done. Learn something from it and move up a notch. The player names are familiar, it's good mid level smoke combos and mid level Kang combos, and some Ermac's figuring things out.

There isn't much hardcore about that vid.

I'm well aware of how to pull off combos with my characters, so you can stop with the condescending attitude.

You just need to realize there are very different audiences that play this game, and a whole chunk of them really don't give a shit about anything other than button mashing, seeing gore and having a good time.

Also this:

Mortal Kombat wouldn't be MK without Fatalities. Each to their own but destroying someone completely as they watch helpless after you have battered them is again the essence of MK.
 
Well when I have seen each x-ray move 100 times id rather not have the fight get interupted for the same ol' slow mo' 10 seconds of xray. They need to have a way of skipping it (the player that did the move).
 
I haven't really played SF4 online that much, but I do play Super Street Fighter 4 online a lot. Sure there's always the "spamming scrubs", but if you're good you can also counter it. Such as focus attack, use it to build your special meter. I don't find bad games fun.




I do suck at bad games, specially games that have shitty hit boxes and bad fighting engine. MK is the only fighting game that have a block button, most other fighting games you just have to hold back on the stick. Think of it as playing a FPS on the PC, when most of the FPS you use the left mouse click to fire, but this time you have to use the shift key to fire.

I haven't played the new MK so I'm not going to comment on it, but the old ones were just crap, the only reason they sold well was the blood and gore not the awesome fighting engine

That's your opinion dude. There is no way I owned MK2 for Genesis, Super Nintendo, 32x because "oh gore!" I didn't ride my bike to the mall, know who all the good players worth playing were at the arcade, and their frequently played characters, because "oh gore!"

Some people like games for their simplicity. It's still deep enough to be better than others. In no way shape or form, would a "button masher" have ever stood a chance in the tournaments we used to participate in. I don't think games that have several fans can be defined as bad by a select few. It just means it's not your cup of tea.
 
How can you get bored during an X-ray? It lasts a max of about 3-4 seconds....if you get bored in that time frame what do you do when a game loads? If you seriously get bored (which I highly doubt) it's probably time to give up gaming altogether. IMO it's just there to add extra brutality and a move to mimic SF4's Ultra's. It's a surefire way of pulling yourself back into into a match if done right (like the Ultra) and if combo'ing is the be all and end all to you it's also possible to combo into them.......

Mortal Kombat wouldn't be MK without Fatalities. Each to their own but destroying someone completely as they watch helpless after you have battered them is again the essence of MK.

Do you watch the same episode of shows all the time? Do you listen to the same song all the time? Do you watch the same movie all the time? Probably not, because that would get boring. Yeah X-Ray is only 5 seconds or so but its always the same so if you played the game a lot with the same characters and used X-Ray then it would get boring and annoying. Its not the time that matters its the fact that the wow factor wears off after you've seen the move a few times. Simply added a few variations that randomly happened would help that.
 
Well when I have seen each x-ray move 100 times id rather not have the fight get interupted for the same ol' slow mo' 10 seconds of xray. They need to have a way of skipping it (the player that did the move).

It's not 10 seconds. It's 3 or 4 at most. It's no worse than super / Ultra moves in Street Fighter. In fact, if anything X-Ray's are faster than many of those.
 
Last edited:
I know I'm long sick of all the Ultras in SF4. Makes me miss the good 'ol days when the screen didn't freeze (and alert people to start blocking/jump) and just get it over with.
It reminds me of the summon moves in Final Fantasy that would take forever to end.

Once you've seen all that stuff 2-3 times there should be an option to skip it.
 
Wow, I've played many hours of Street Fighter 4 / Super Street Fighter IV and a few hours of Mortal Kombat. Ultras and X-Ray's are so short I don't give them a second thought.
 
Do you watch the same episode of shows all the time? Do you listen to the same song all the time? Do you watch the same movie all the time? Probably not, because that would get boring. Yeah X-Ray is only 5 seconds or so but its always the same so if you played the game a lot with the same characters and used X-Ray then it would get boring and annoying. Its not the time that matters its the fact that the wow factor wears off after you've seen the move a few times. Simply added a few variations that randomly happened would help that.


I would imagine most ppl listen to their favourite songs all the time, I would also imagine ppl watch their fave movie more than you imagine too and are you seriously comparing a 45 minute show to a 4 second animation?

I agree it would have been nice for a few variations or different camera angles but that isn't gonna happen so either don't use them, learn the Kombat Kode to disable them or if your playing online suck up the odd 10-15 seconds per match.
 
I would imagine most ppl listen to their favourite songs all the time, I would also imagine ppl watch their fave movie more than you imagine too and are you seriously comparing a 45 minute show to a 4 second animation?

I agree it would have been nice for a few variations or different camera angles but that isn't gonna happen so either don't use them, learn the Kombat Kode to disable them or if your playing online suck up the odd 10-15 seconds per match.

More like 4-8 seconds per match. Typically either player will get to do it once. Sometimes I need to use my super meter for breakers or enhanced attacks which eliminates the chance of doing an X-Ray anyway. And why are we even talking about this? I thought the "pros" didn't use X-Ray's anyway? So why are you having to watch them since everyone is supposed to be playing like the pros thanks to Youtube? :rolleyes:
 
More like 4-8 seconds per match. Typically either player will get to do it once. Sometimes I need to use my super meter for breakers or enhanced attacks which eliminates the chance of doing an X-Ray anyway. And why are we even talking about this? I thought the "pros" didn't use X-Ray's anyway? So why are you having to watch them since everyone is supposed to be playing like the pros thanks to Youtube? :rolleyes:

Good players don't use x-rays anyways

In an actual match that doesn't involve fools, odds are you'll find a way to use an EX to pull 40% or need to break out of a massive combo far before you use the x-ray.

So if you get an x-ray, it's a sure thing that you either 1 can't pull off any real combos, or 2, the guy you were playing sucked so hard he couldn't pull off a combo worth breaking. Either way, it wasn't a match worth playing.

Also, I'd hardly call that pro, it's called not sucking.
 
I would imagine most ppl listen to their favourite songs all the time, I would also imagine ppl watch their fave movie more than you imagine too and are you seriously comparing a 45 minute show to a 4 second animation?

I agree it would have been nice for a few variations or different camera angles but that isn't gonna happen so either don't use them, learn the Kombat Kode to disable them or if your playing online suck up the odd 10-15 seconds per match.

You sure do seem to be upset over a simple suggestion (one that you agree with to...) :rolleyes:
All I said was it would be nice for game makers to add variations to their cinematic moves. Not having them isn't stopping me from playing the games or anything its just a simple suggestion that wouldn't be hard to do but would add to the game.
And yeah I did compare shows, movies, and songs to a ~8 second clip because like I said the time doesn't matter as much as the repetition of it. Most people over the age of 8 are not going to watch a show or movie over and over again without a decent bit of time in between. Songs yes, but then its only going to be 2 or 3 times and then they will listen to some other songs.

And like I said earlier this isn't just MK I'm talking about lots of games, many of which are more repetitive than MK. I used MK as a example since thats what this topic is about.
 
Last edited:
That's your opinion dude. There is no way I owned MK2 for Genesis, Super Nintendo, 32x because "oh gore!" I didn't ride my bike to the mall, know who all the good players worth playing were at the arcade, and their frequently played characters, because "oh gore!"

Some people like games for their simplicity. It's still deep enough to be better than others. In no way shape or form, would a "button masher" have ever stood a chance in the tournaments we used to participate in. I don't think games that have several fans can be defined as bad by a select few. It just means it's not your cup of tea.

I'll consider the old MK decent when it makes it to EVO. Until then it's shit!

Ed Boon the co-creator of the Mortal Kombat admits Old Mortal Kombat Sucks Link "Saying it's for casuals and there's no depth to the fighting engine."

Justin Bieber have several million of fans, it doesn't make him good!
 
I'll consider the old MK decent when it makes it to EVO. Until then it's shit!

Ed Boon the co-creator of the Mortal Kombat admits Old Mortal Kombat Sucks Link "Saying it's for casuals and there's no depth to the fighting engine."

Justin Bieber have several million of fans, it doesn't make him good!

It won't, even it's makers fessed up the engine is for idiots and they rely on gore and tricks to sell it. It is the back street boys of fighters.

That all said, at the last east coast event we hauled up a UMK3 cab, 100% Ermac combos are comical, and way to easy. Though I lost to a Kung Lao, not shocked, he has more ways to open up his 100% so I might as well not have played, it's a one sided match. Though I managed to beat a smoke, not through any skill of mine but he tried to throw a full screen spear, which is death.
 
I got the table in, here's pics...

laptop_caddy_2.jpg

laptop_caddy_3.jpg

laptop_caddy_4.jpg
 
I'll consider the old MK decent when it makes it to EVO. Until then it's shit!

Ed Boon the co-creator of the Mortal Kombat admits Old Mortal Kombat Sucks Link "Saying it's for casuals and there's no depth to the fighting engine."

Justin Bieber have several million of fans, it doesn't make him good!

Tolling?
 
tricky thats badass man is it compatible with any other arcade style games though?
 
tricky thats badass man is it compatible with any other arcade style games though?

It's MK layout and American buttons/stick. So the layout won't work for anything but MK, and the stick and buttons are not good enough for shooters, brawlers, or fighters with more complicated links and combos. It's pretty much just for MK.

If you want something more universal look into the madcatz or hori products (with sanwa or semitsu which clobber the snot out of the american junk, and we royally suck at electronics and arcade hardware, like the worst) and a layout based off taito viewlix (madcatz TE or vlx SA) or the Sega Astro/Blast Taito Egret configuration.

If you must use American, read second rate shit, for parts, I'd look into a massystems pro stick.

Arcade parts are like electronics, cars, labor, don't use American ever, it sucks. Dirt cheap, but sucks. Friends don't let friends buy American.
 
Unlike the Madcatz Fight Sticks that have a LS DP RS selector switch the MK stick doesn't. (I own SSFIV Arcade Fightstick TE S)

I put in my WWE All Stars in fact MadCatz made what they called Fight Pad's and Fight Stick (like a SE) controllers cause WWE All Stars is an Arcade Wrestling game. This MK TE didn't work the Bat when I moved it my wrestler couldn't move at all, was only doing taunts which I know are done on the arrow buttons or DP of my DualShock3.

I have: BlazeBlue, Marvel vs Capcom & SSF4 and MK TE stick does work but not really well. These are best with Madcatz Fight Sticks.

I'm seeing others say MK Stick is ok on non Capcom games like Tekken 6 and VF 5. Hope this helps.

PS. MK rocks I'm vary happy with my MK stick :)
 
Back
Top