• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

I'm actually finding it much easier to use than I thought I would. For instance, Sub-Zero's freeze is done using the same controller movements that Ryu's fireball is. I have trouble consistently throwing fireballs sometimes in Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV. I have absolutely no trouble pulling off the freeze with Sub-Zero in this MK game.

Different game engines for one, and even though the moves are "the same" pulling something off in capcom vs snk vs midway has never been exactly same, capcom tends to be stricter on timings.

Also, for part of the online "features" capcom stuck some shortcuts into the the motions which produced some odd results (like the loleport).
 
Can't believe this time Johnny Cage is in the top tier, he was always in the shit tier and sorta a joke.
 
Can't believe this time Johnny Cage is in the top tier, he was always in the shit tier and sorta a joke.

He was at the top of the first MK. He was one of the people that had the endless jumping punch juggle, he could get the shadow kick off any jump kicks, and he could cancel his splits punch into other moves to avoid shots and nearly instantly counter with a move of his own. Granted, that was kind of like being "top tier" in the first SF2 game (2/3 of the cast had an exploit of some kind), but he was at least good in that one.
 
He was at the top of the first MK. He was one of the people that had the endless jumping punch juggle, he could get the shadow kick off any jump kicks, and he could cancel his splits punch into other moves to avoid shots and nearly instantly counter with a move of his own. Granted, that was kind of like being "top tier" in the first SF2 game (2/3 of the cast had an exploit of some kind), but he was at least good in that one.

Old games tiers

MK 1

Top Tier: Sonya, Cage, Liu Kang
Mid Tier: Kano, Raiden
Low Tier: Sub-Zero, Scorpion

MK 2

A Tier: Mileena, Jax, Liu Kang
B Tier: Kitana, Kung, Baraka
C Tier: Cage, Shang Tsung, Scorpion
D Tier: Raiden, Sub-Zero, Reptile

UMK 3

S Tier: Noob Saibot
A Tier: Kabal, Smoke (Human), Kung Lao, Kano, Reptile, Ermac
B Tier: Nightwolf, Smoke (Robot), Sindel, Jax, Sonya, Kitana, Stryker
C Tier: Scorpion, Sub-Zero (Unmasked), Jade, Liu Kang, Sektor, Sub-Zero (Classic)
D Tier: Cyrax, Shang Tsung, Mileena
F Tier: Sheeva

Granted, MK tiers have always been about the best being hilariously broken in one way or another, but Cage wasn't "shit" by any means.
 
So I take it Kratos is largely banned because he's only on the PS3 version of the game?
 
So I take it Kratos is largely banned because he's only on the PS3 version of the game?

Yep, version specific, he got the axe for tournament play. Pretty sure that's how the SC scene handled Yoda and Vader.
 
If you're looking for an Xbox pad, get one of the Mad Katz Street Fighter brands. They're high quality, have an accurate d-pad and a 6 face button layout. Just pretend Blanka is Goro at a rave or something.
 
Care to provide a link? The only comparison I have seen didn't show any large difference, perhaps a slight edge to the 360 - http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/head2head-mortal-kombat-screenshot-comparison/

The big difference is what console did your friends buy it on, which controller do you prefer, and of course if you want kratos.


PS3 looks very washed out in those screen! Its like they have their luminance setting wrong in their PS3 or something. It could very well be so, as it results in washed out screen, it gives grey blacks and impure whites. That, or they have same setting wrong to opposite direction in Xbox 360, resulting in crushed blacks and burning whites, adds sort off false sense of high contrast. Sub-Zero screenshot hints towards that, as Xbox 360 seems to lose almost all black details. Black is too black.

Dont know which one is correct but either way difference is in my eyes stunning either way! And wierd!
 
Last edited:
Ermac so far is becoming my favorite.

Also in the unlockables, are the things you unlock and the locations random or what? Or are the unlockables all in the exact same place for everyone?

Also, how do you use alternate costumes in multiplayer?
 
Ermac so far is becoming my favorite.

Also in the unlockables, are the things you unlock and the locations random or what? Or are the unlockables all in the exact same place for everyone?

Also, how do you use alternate costumes in multiplayer?

Smoke is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. I've not played a whole lot with Ermac yet. The unlockables are in the same place for everyone.

I found this guide to the Krypt to be pretty accurate.
 
I think Kung Lao was my favorite of everyone I tried last night. Kabal was decent too, but I am a total noob with either. I had a hard time with Jade and Cyrax.
 
I'm actually finding it much easier to use than I thought I would. For instance, Sub-Zero's freeze is done using the same controller movements that Ryu's fireball is. I have trouble consistently throwing fireballs sometimes in Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV. I have absolutely no trouble pulling off the freeze with Sub-Zero in this MK game.

I also found the controller to be easier to use than expected. This is most likely because the Street Fighter games require quarter/half/full-circle motions for move inputs. Using your example of Ryu's hadouken, you have to hit down, down-forward, and then forward. Hitting all three points is easier to pull if with a joystick than with a d-pad. With Sub-Zero's freeze (and many, if not all, of the moves in MK), the move inputs only require the four main directions. So in Sub-Zero's freeze, that is down, then forward. That makes it easier to execute using a d-pad.
 
I also found the controller to be easier to use than expected. This is most likely because the Street Fighter games require quarter/half/full-circle motions for move inputs. Using your example of Ryu's hadouken, you have to hit down, down-forward, and then forward. Hitting all three points is easier to pull if with a joystick than with a d-pad. With Sub-Zero's freeze (and many, if not all, of the moves in MK), the move inputs only require the four main directions. So in Sub-Zero's freeze, that is down, then forward. That makes it easier to execute using a d-pad.

Here is a little secret, you just need to hit down/towards (diagonal) and attack to execute the freeze, you don't need to do down then towards (makes spamming a lot easier). This even works in SFIV on the arcade stick, for example dragon punch is towards, diagonal towards and punch, much easier then towards, down, diagonal towards, punch (can someone say fireball spam). I found this out in MK4 (I know a little late).
 
I also found the controller to be easier to use than expected. This is most likely because the Street Fighter games require quarter/half/full-circle motions for move inputs. Using your example of Ryu's hadouken, you have to hit down, down-forward, and then forward. Hitting all three points is easier to pull if with a joystick than with a d-pad. With Sub-Zero's freeze (and many, if not all, of the moves in MK), the move inputs only require the four main directions. So in Sub-Zero's freeze, that is down, then forward. That makes it easier to execute using a d-pad.

It's always just been quarter-circle then the punch button. This is true of both Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games. What you are describing is closer to doing the dragon punch.
 
anyone with a tournament edition stick can plug it in their pc and tell me if its working?
 
I think what he means is that in MK you don't have to use actual motions, but "taps." You don't have to roll the motion, but instead can tap down, then forward, and then the punch button. It's along the lines of a double forward tap + punch for Liu Kang's fireball. The freeze is the same, only it's down and then forward.
I think it's easier to just roll it (on a pad or stick) but you don't have to.
 
anyone with a tournament edition stick can plug it in their pc and tell me if its working?

The 360 stick will work for sure, people already have it working. The PS3 stick may or may not. If you do not have an intel branded chipset with a specific type of USB, the PS3 stick might not work and you'll need to buy a USB add on card.
 
The 360 stick will work for sure, people already have it working. The PS3 stick may or may not. If you do not have an intel branded chipset with a specific type of USB, the PS3 stick might not work and you'll need to buy a USB add on card.

wow ... thats bullshit!

sadface
 
wow ... thats bullshit!

sadface

That's true of all tournament sticks, madcatz, hori, whatever, blame Sony for this one. The PS3 uses an intel proprietary USB spec. So if you have an nvidia or amd chipset, it won't work.
 
Game is great.. feels like good ol' Mortal. Though... what they do to Nighwing? He is actually playable this time, being the worst char in MK2/3 ;)

What I relaly like is the main story... beats everything I seen in any Soulcalibur/Tekken and whatever else there is. Explains everything about Lin Kuei, how cybogs came to be or how Jax got metal arms :)

I'm stuck tho. I can't defeat Shao Khan. He either blocks or somehow counteers my combos, his attacks can't be blocked and his three hits usually take half of my health. Reverted to old tactics with flying kicks and staying in the air... ain't working too. Some tips would be appreciated. Guess it require some fast character, but in main story I'm stuck with the one
 
That's true of all tournament sticks, madcatz, hori, whatever, blame Sony for this one. The PS3 uses an intel proprietary USB spec. So if you have an nvidia or amd chipset, it won't work.

but i have a pcb that will work great with ps3/pc called the cthullu chip made by toodles from the shoryuken forums...

i will mod it i know!
 
I beat Shao Kahn with cross up combo's repeatedly. And block/dodging what I could.
 
MK TE Stick is a vary big cabinet 18" long by 10 1/2" wide, much larger than my Madcatz TE.

DSCF6693.jpg


I got this Sony 40" 240Hz 3D TV.....2 days b4 my MK TE arrived I couldn't be happier with both!

DSCF6692.jpg
 
My only complaint about this game is that the AI for Shao Kahn is about the same as it was in the second Mortal Kombat. It's cheap and shitty as ever. They've overpowered the jackass to compensate for the poor AI as usual. For whatever reason we have all this computing power these days and we still have to deal with computers that are forced to blatantly cheat just to make a game challenging to any real degree. Essentially fighting game AI hasn't changed in the last two decades. Seems sad when you think about it.

So the only way to beat him seems to be various cheap and shitty exploits designed to get around his stupid AI and his overpowered stats. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, the game was still enjoyable, but the battles with Shao Kahn are frustrating as hell as a result. You don't persevere with skill, but rather cheap crappy exploits that the AI can't cope with.
 
Last edited:
so are there any advantages to ps3 or 360? i have both consoles, but usually get games on 360 due to my friends who have 360s online.

anyone playing on 360 controller, using that d-pad?
 
PS3 is 1080P, 3D & Play as Kratos, Messaging/Friend Invite in Game, Voice Chat & Trophies
 
Last edited:
yeah, newer 360s output 1080p too. voice chat and trophies (similar on xbox).

i meant as far as controller + graphics (screen tearing, framerate, etc?)
 
Kratos is awesome, just beat the ladder with him and you can tell they spent a lot of time putting him into the game. He actually fits the scheme of things pretty well too.
 
I would say ps3 controller is better for fighting games, but like you, i have both systems. I just went ps3 because of controller, otherwise the versions are the same. except for kratos, of course
 
Kratos is awesome, just beat the ladder with him and you can tell they spent a lot of time putting him into the game. He actually fits the scheme of things pretty well too.

He's banned in tournament play due to version issues (as of now) and is bottom tier, I wouldn't bother with him.

My only complaint about this game is that the AI for Shao Kahn is about the same as it was in the second Mortal Kombat. It's cheap and shitty as ever. They've overpowered the jackass to compensate for the poor AI as usual. For whatever reason we have all this computing power these days and we still have to deal with computers that are forced to blatantly cheat just to make a game challenging to any real degree. Essentially fighting game AI hasn't changed in the last two decades. Seems sad when you think about it.

So the only way to beat him seems to be various cheap and shitty exploits designed to get around his stupid AI and his overpowered stats. Don't get me wrong, the game was still enjoyable, but the battles with Shao Kahn are frustrating as hell as a result. You don't persevere with skill, but rather cheap crappy exploits that the AI can't cope with.

While I kinda agree, AI in a fighting game is harder than any other type out there. It's just way too complex and you can't do it right. There was talk a while back of trying to mimic combos and approaches by certain players, but it panned out as not being possible due to the situational manner, you aren't going to see it.

And keep in mind that American fighters are more "lol fighters" than anything else, they aren't serious. And the Japanese well, it's all PVP.
 
He's banned in tournament play due to version issues (as of now) and is bottom tier, I wouldn't bother with him.



While I kinda agree, AI in a fighting game is harder than any other type out there. It's just way too complex and you can't do it right. There was talk a while back of trying to mimic combos and approaches by certain players, but it panned out as not being possible due to the situational manner, you aren't going to see it.

And keep in mind that American fighters are more "lol fighters" than anything else, they aren't serious. And the Japanese well, it's all PVP.

Well I don't really play fighting games like a pro so it doesn't really matter to me if he's bottom tier cuz I'll remember maybe a few comes from each character but I'm not one to count frames I guess,lol. Any fan of GoW will appreciate what they did with him.
 
so are there any advantages to ps3 or 360? i have both consoles, but usually get games on 360 due to my friends who have 360s online.

anyone playing on 360 controller, using that d-pad?

I'm playing it on the XBOX 360. I'm having no trouble with the D-Pad on the XBOX 360. Normally I'd be the first to bitch about it but since I don't have a PS3 I went for the XBOX 360 version. That being said, if it was an option I'd grab it on the PS3 just so I could have the extra character.

PS3 is 1080P, 3D & Play as Kratos, Messaging/Friend Invite in Game, Voice Chat & Trophies

It's pretty much the same deal on the newer XBOX 360's.

yeah, newer 360s output 1080p too. voice chat and trophies (similar on xbox).

i meant as far as controller + graphics (screen tearing, framerate, etc?)

The graphics are pretty much the same in side by side comparisons. The XBOX 360's version is a bit darker in terms of lighting. Frame rates are good on the XBOX 360. I haven't noticed any issues while playing it so that's all I can really say.

I would say ps3 controller is better for fighting games, but like you, i have both systems. I just went ps3 because of controller, otherwise the versions are the same. except for kratos, of course

I agree. Still the controls are actually quite good on the XBOX 360 version. The developers did a good job here and the normal frustration I felt with Street Fighter and Super Street Fighter IV isn't present with Mortal Kombat on the XBOX 360.

He's banned in tournament play due to version issues (as of now) and is bottom tier, I wouldn't bother with him.



While I kinda agree, AI in a fighting game is harder than any other type out there. It's just way too complex and you can't do it right. There was talk a while back of trying to mimic combos and approaches by certain players, but it panned out as not being possible due to the situational manner, you aren't going to see it.

And keep in mind that American fighters are more "lol fighters" than anything else, they aren't serious. And the Japanese well, it's all PVP.

So how is something like Moral Kombat not serious? Here is where you are probably going to give me a line that's going to sound like the rabid musings of CS players who think everything else is some how inferior because it's different and that everything else is useless for competitive play. Something which I refute as total nonsense. Mortal Kombat game play mechanics are different granted, though I fail to see how they are less "serious."
 
Last edited:
I get tired hearing talk between US and Japanese style of fighters. Yes, US devs are much more self depreciating within stories and characters. But is the gameplay really that different? Ill never understand why SF is the defacto pro series while MK is the laughing stock, it senseless and based on unfounded expectations. Back in the day in the arcades the MKII players were much more precise in their movements and technical usage as compared to other fighters.
 
I get tired hearing talk between US and Japanese style of fighters. Yes, US devs are much more self depreciating within stories and characters. But is the gameplay really that different? Ill never understand why SF is the defacto pro series while MK is the laughing stock, it senseless and based on unfounded expectations. Back in the day in the arcades the MKII players were much more precise in their movements and technical usage as compared to other fighters.

I agree.

As for the precision required in the MKII days, it was because you didn't have the ability to chain combos like you could in Street Fighter or Killer Instinct. When you make a move in Mortal Kombat your move needs to be spot on or leave yourself vulnerable to attack.
 
So how is something like Moral Kombat not serious? Here is where you are probably going to give me a line that's going to sound like the rabid musings of CS players who think everything else is some how inferior because it's different and that everything else is useless for competitive play. Something which I refute as total nonsense. Mortal Kombat game play mechanics are different granted, though I fail to see how they are less "serious."

Reminds me of a post a couple of days ago on another forum, where a pro- SF player was all "I guess you'll enjoy this game... if you like bad games."

I love SF but a lot of the players annoy me.
 
I get tired hearing talk between US and Japanese style of fighters. Yes, US devs are much more self depreciating within stories and characters. But is the gameplay really that different? Ill never understand why SF is the defacto pro series while MK is the laughing stock, it senseless and based on unfounded expectations. Back in the day in the arcades the MKII players were much more precise in their movements and technical usage as compared to other fighters.

I agree.

As for the precision required in the MKII days, it was because you didn't have the ability to chain combos like you could in Street Fighter or Killer Instinct. When you make a move in Mortal Kombat your move needs to be spot on or leave yourself vulnerable to attack.

I disagree.

Not sure what you're smoking but the hitbox in Mortal Kombat is a joke. Link

MK is the laughing stock because you don't need to be good to win and it's so unbalance. You can random hit buttons to win without any skill, it's a game for scrubs.
Where Street fighter is the chess of fighting games. There's a counter to everything and you have to be good at reading your opponent.

You'll see Street fighter 2 at Evo or any fighting tournament but you won't see MK2, because they know that game is a POS.
 
I disagree.

Not sure what you're smoking but the hitbox in Mortal Kombat is a joke. Link

MK is the laughing stock because you don't need to be good to win and it's so unbalance. You can random hit buttons to win without any skill, it's a game for scrubs.
Where Street fighter is the chess of fighting games. There's a counter to everything and you have to be good at reading your opponent.

You'll see Street fighter 2 at Evo or any fighting tournament but you won't see MK2, because they know that game is a POS.

Feel better now? :rolleyes:
 
I disagree.

Not sure what you're smoking but the hitbox in Mortal Kombat is a joke. Link

MK is the laughing stock because you don't need to be good to win and it's so unbalance. You can random hit buttons to win without any skill, it's a game for scrubs.
Where Street fighter is the chess of fighting games. There's a counter to everything and you have to be good at reading your opponent.

You'll see Street fighter 2 at Evo or any fighting tournament but you won't see MK2, because they know that game is a POS.

Methinks you haven't played SF4 online. It's full of cheap spamming scrubs, being such an expert surely you'd know that tho?

When has tournament fighting been the be all and end all anyway? What happened to chillin' out with mates and having fun playing any fighting game?
 
Back
Top