Monster Hunter: World

So how grindy is this game? I am currently playing NMS and Conan Exiles and honestly I think I am tiring of the grind that lots of these games implement (especially those that looks pseudo MMO-ish). I enjoyed Conan Exiles for about 7 hours, then now I got to the point where I was so sick of the grind I enabled my admin panel and started to just start to spawn stuff because I was so sick and tired of getting one iron core per 20 rocks I mined and I needed like over 100 iron cores to make the things I wanted. That would be like a full time job to just resource gather and no longer a game so I am done with it. I just want to fight stuff now, no more of this you fight this boss, it gives you the main resource but then you need to go here gather 100x wood + go here to kill these creatures for 100 hides to make leather then finally put it together after you build a forge by gathering an godly amount of crap for an hour to make your +2 DPS to your current sword or +1 defense armor upgrade.

Capcom talked about why the game is so demanding, at least on CPUs: https://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-explain-why-the-monster-hunter-world-port-is-cpu-heavy/

To eliminate interstitial loading during active gameplay, MHW loads the entire level into memory. In addition to managing assets loaded into memory, it keeps track of monster interactions, health status, environment/object changes, manages LOD & object culling, calculates collision detection and physics simulation, and tons of other background telemetry stuff that you don't see yet requires CPU cycle. This is in addition to supporting any GPU rendering tasks.

"While the MT Framework engine has been around for ages, it does a good job in distributing CPU cycles and load-balancing tasks across all available cores and threads. The engine itself is optimized for x86 CPU instruction set, is highly scalable, and loosely speaking, is platform agnostic regardless of PC or console platform so as long as it conforms to the x86 instruction set.

Monster Hunter: World has a major crashing problem, but a fix is on the way

Monster Hunter: World has a significant crashing problem...we reached out to Capcom for a statement, and luckily the development team is aware of the issue and a fix is on the way...the exact timing hasn't been detailed, but we'd expect to see it before Monster Hunter: World launches on PC on August 9th..until it's fixed, here's what's up and why we think it's happening...

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-has-a-major-crashing-problem-but-a-fix-is-on-the-way/

And I was half tempted to break my "no preorders" rule, proves once again that you can't trust most AAA publishers not to fuck up releases on PC.

And I was half tempted to break my "no preorders" rule, proves once again that you can't trust most AAA publishers not to fuck up releases on PC.

I'd hate so much to be a developer these days; if word gets out that your PRE RELEASE game is having issues, then droves of gamers are going to cancel their preorders and whine and complain about a game that's not even in their hands yet. Unreal.

I'd hate so much to be a developer these days;

Hold on whilst I get out the world's smallest violin.

if word gets out that your PRE RELEASE game is having issues, then droves of gamers are going to cancel their preorders and whine and complain about a game that's not even in their hands yet. Unreal.

They brought it on themselves for releasing half baked garbage for years, treating their customers with contempt and destroying whatever good will that used to exist between the game industry and consumers. Fuck em....I feel no sympathy whatsoever and owe them nothing. I smell any whiff of their game being trash close to release then you better believe I am not going to hand them one damn nickel in advance. Only a spineless corporate apologist/shill would argue or suggest otherwise.

Hold on whilst I get out the world's smallest violin.

They brought it on themselves for releasing half baked garbage for years, treating their customers with contempt and destroying whatever good will that used to exist between the game industry and consumers. Fuck em....I feel no sympathy whatsoever and owe them nothing. I smell any whiff of their game being trash close to release then you better believe I am not going to hand them one damn nickel in advance. Only a spineless corporate apologist/shill would argue or suggest otherwise.

I smell any whiff of their game being trash close to release then you better believe I am not going to hand them one damn nickel in advance...

I feel the same...if I get a sense that a game is going to have any type of performance or other issue I hold off...I'm always hesitant about pre-ordering anyway (unless it's a series like Dark Souls which I absolutely love)...so any red flags with games that I'm potentially interested in I will not pre-order...I made up my mind as soon as they announced the PC release date that I was going to wait and see...MH: W PC sounds like a game that needs a few patches...especially coming from a developer that doesn't have an established reputation for delivering stellar PC ports...

Interested in seeing how this scales between Intel / AMD CPUs. Searched for benchmarks but didn't see any. If someone has one comparing Ryzen & current Intel offerings I'd be interested.

Reactions: Inu
like this
I pre-ordered off of GreenManGaming for roughly $40. Absolutely loved the game on PS4 (over 400 hours) and have purposely not played the game for over a month to start fresh on PC.

They had a sale on their website and if you signed up for their newsletter then they sent you a voucher for an additional 7% off. The vouchers expired a few days ago though. I think it was $45 to be exact.

So how grindy is this game? I am currently playing NMS and Conan Exiles and honestly I think I am tiring of the grind that lots of these games implement (especially those that looks pseudo MMO-ish). I enjoyed Conan Exiles for about 7 hours, then now I got to the point where I was so sick of the grind I enabled my admin panel and started to just start to spawn stuff because I was so sick and tired of getting one iron core per 20 rocks I mined and I needed like over 100 iron cores to make the things I wanted. That would be like a full time job to just resource gather and no longer a game so I am done with it. I just want to fight stuff now, no more of this you fight this boss, it gives you the main resource but then you need to go here gather 100x wood + go here to kill these creatures for 100 hides to make leather then finally put it together after you build a forge by gathering an godly amount of crap for an hour to make your +2 DPS to your current sword or +1 defense armor upgrade.

MHW is not as bad of a grind as Conan, from the sound of it. You will not need to collect 100s of items to craft what you want. But you will have to collect stuff. Sometimes you traverse environments, harvesting or mining. Or, you collect parts of monsters that you slay . They drop bone, skin, scales, glands, hair, etc. that you use to fashion armor and weapons. The real grind is actually killing the monsters! Seriously these fights can drag on for 20 or 30 minutes....wailing away on a big strong beast with your weapon of choice. During the fight the monsters will break away and run. So, you gotta chase them down, and beat on them some more! I think if you enjoy fighting monsters, you will like the game. I do not think it is really too grindy of a game overall, to the point of it being monotonous.

For those that played the recent Final Fantasy game, which is more grindy? Never played any game from either series. Was looking into trying FF but read that it had some of the worst literal fetch quests. Was looking into this but read similar. Really just looking for a game with fun combat and a decent story without having to gather so much stuff or collect X amount of things to progress.

Poordevil thats an interesting take. The grind is fighting which IMHO is a better mechanic than the Conan one where the grind is actually, mindlessly breaking rocks and trees then hoping a random drop for a iron ore happens. Well thanks anyway for the description of the game play.

The early part of the game at least from the above video looks like it's a game I would like, I especially liked the Shadow of Colossus like part where they hang on to the monster for dear life while stabbing at it, but I am still hesitant about it. If I didn't get Conan Exiles from Humble Monthly and the No Man's Sky Next update didn't get released yet, I'd probably have bought the game at release but at the moment I think I am going to pass.

Still interested in checking out the game myself.

One thing that kind of put me off was watching min-maxers stopping mid-fight to sharpen their weapon often; have there been any changes to durability loss over patches and does it make a notable difference? I'm all for endurance/durability mechanics, but breaking off battle to take care of something like that, if you go in at 100% or over 80%, makes it seem tedious.

One thing that kind of put me off was watching min-maxers stopping mid-fight to sharpen their weapon often; have there been any changes to durability loss over patches and does it make a notable difference? I'm all for endurance/durability mechanics, but breaking off battle to take care of something like that, if you go in at 100% or over 80%, makes it seem tedious.

Sharpening is part of the strategy of battles. You don't absolutely have to sharpen but you will reduce your damage output by half and elemental damage by 75%. Early weapons require more sharpening more often while later weapons need it less. It's been a core mechanic of the series since the first game. Stopping to sharpen, apply boost items, heal, etc is all part of the hunt. I usually wait until either the weapon is almost completely out of sharpness or the creature runs off before sharpening. You don't have to min-max it if you don't want to, just keep your damage potential in mind.

Sharpening is part of the strategy of battles. You don't absolutely have to sharpen but you will reduce your damage output by half and elemental damage by 75%. Early weapons require more sharpening more often while later weapons need it less. It's been a core mechanic of the series since the first game. Stopping to sharpen, apply boost items, heal, etc is all part of the hunt. I usually wait until either the weapon is almost completely out of sharpness or the creature runs off before sharpening. You don't have to min-max it if you don't want to, just keep your damage potential in mind.

Old-school min-maxer; the struggle to wring out every ounce of potential for any setup in a game is real, hahaha. I'm more worried whether the game is gonna wreak havoc on my OCD causing me to enjoy it less.

You can gear and gem your character to control how often you need to sharpen, or how fast you sharpen. You can even make builds that don’t ever lose sharpness as long as you keep hitting monster weak spots. It’s all part of the depth of strategy offered by the game. Hell you can also play ranged weapons which never need sharpening, then you need to deal with ammo (on bowguns) or coatings (bows).

The number of ways to build a character in this game is just insane. I’m closing in on 400 hours into the PS4 game and still trying new stuff all the time. There are so many good skills and good weapons you’ll never find a one size fits all approach. Even one weapon can result in multiple builds depending on what you are fighting. This is my first Monster Hunter game and it’s been way beyond my expectations for depth and gameplay.

Last edited:
How do you respec? Are there character skills or is it all about the weapons and armors?

How do you respec? Are there character skills or is it all about the weapons and armors?

There at zero character skills, everything is in the armor and gems. You just walk up to an equipment box (these are everywhere) and mess with your gear. Then you can save a load out to reuse or modify any time, for free.

The items you carry have their own load outs, also from the same box. In the middle of missions you can access the boxes to change gear or replenish items.

Then there is a whole cooking system for buffs that last an entire mission.

can this game realistically be played solo for the entire game?...I hate using teammates/summoning/AI help of any kind in games...solo is so much more rewarding

can this game realistically be played solo for the entire game?...I hate using teammates/summoning/AI help of any kind in games...solo is so much more rewarding

There are two monsters in the game which don’t scale down for single player.

Is there going to be any preload for this? Why do Japanese games never offer preloading?

Meh I think I'll pass on this one. Them Japanese folks just make some weird games. And sounds like too much time spent on fighting monsters, I'd rather explore more.

I heard in FFXV, just one big monster took several hours to kill. Fuck that shit!

I get bored too easy, if it takes longer than 25 hrs to complete the game (or I get frustrated that its too hard/grindy) i'm moving onto another game.

Meh I think I'll pass on this one. Them Japanese folks just make some weird games. And sounds like too much time spent on fighting monsters, I'd rather explore more.

I heard in FFXV, just one big monster took several hours to kill. Fuck that shit!

I get bored too easy, if it takes longer than 25 hrs to complete the game (or I get frustrated that its too hard/grindy) i'm moving onto another game.
That monster was over hyped. It was killable under 15 min soon after release. Now you can kill it in a minute.

That monster was over hyped. It was killable under 15 min soon after release. Now you can kill it in a minute.

Wait.. what? Did they change the game with updates? Because of complaints? What about Conan the gamer, could he slay him now.

Is it still worth buying? Did they make improvements, or just the one monster?

Wait.. what? Did they change the game with updates? Because of complaints? What about Conan the gamer, could he slay him now.

Is it still worth buying? Did they make improvements, or just the one monster?
They didn't change it. It was just over hyped. Conan sucks at games. Surprised he could kill a lvl 1 starter bunny.

Monster Hunter: World - PC performance review: Capcom’s creature feature delivers… just

Even at the highest settings, World doesn’t look markedly more detailed or impressive than the console versions, though at full-fat 4K, there’s no question it’s a good deal sharper than even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X editions. Ultimately, this is an above average port of a game that’s often extraordinary...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/monster-hunter-world/monster-hunter-world-pc-graphics-performance-4k

Monster Hunter: World review (PCGamer)- 86%

Combat isn’t fun in the way it is in Dark Souls or Devil May Cry, which reward constant, fluid combos and perfect timing, but it is always tense, and often hilarious. And when you can walk the line and land a rare, righteous combo directly on a Rathain's scaly dome, the feeling is euphoric...

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-review/

GMG already has keys out. no preorder though. which is just as well since it seems that decryption typically takes longer than just downloading

I am weak, I ended up getting it from GMG just now. Seems like a good price and I have no problem throwing money at this franchise.

Maybe we can get some [H] group hunts going? Wanted to get a clan thing going on PS4 but no one really ever expressed much interest.

the IGN review mentioned Capcom hinting that it may release a PC-exclusive graphical improvement patch post-release...I really hope this happens...as it is now the game looks on par with the consoles (unless you're playing at 4K but you won't get 60fps)

I am weak, I ended up getting it from GMG just now. Seems like a good price and I have no problem throwing money at this franchise.

Maybe we can get some [H] group hunts going? Wanted to get a clan thing going on PS4 but no one really ever expressed much interest.
I'd be down, but I think I won't be able to play until Sunday.

The game really only gets grindy at the end when you are trying to farm the best armor decorations (think gems). Actually making armor and weapons isn't really all that bad.

The game really only gets grindy at the end when you are trying to farm the best armor decorations (think gems). Actually making armor and weapons isn't really all that bad.

Unless the stuff you want to craft requires monster plates or gems...then it can be a pain.

Overall, though, I don't feel like I've had to grind a tremendous amount to get what I needed.

Back