Monster Hunter: World

Unless the stuff you want to craft requires monster plates or gems...then it can be a pain.

Overall, though, I don't feel like I've had to grind a tremendous amount to get what I needed.

I never had too much of a problem with those items, but maybe I was lucky. At least you can buy those with the weekly certificate things, so it's not like you'd have to grind a monster for a million years and never get a gem lol.

I never had too much of a problem with those items, but maybe I was lucky. At least you can buy those with the weekly certificate things, so it's not like you'd have to grind a monster for a million years and never get a gem lol.

True, the weekly bounties really help.

I hope they start the PC ones off with some low-rank bounties so that people can build up those tickets. On PS4 sometimes the weekly bounties involve fighting tempered monsters which is end-game stuff, so new players are kind of locked out from completing those.

mod support, high-res texture pack, future patch optimizations, DLC support etc makes it sound like it needs a few patches before it can be really amazing...

are the timers (as far as killing monsters) fair if I plan on only playing solo with no co-op help?

are the timers (as far as killing monsters) fair if I plan on only playing solo with no co-op help?

Most of the time, yeah. Especially for the main story hunts, the timer might as well almost not exist. The only time it gets short is for some of the end game investigation hunts. Keep in mind monsters have much less HP when you play solo. They get scaled up for multiplayer, but the dumb part is they have the same hp whether you have 2 players or 4 players. You're actually at a disadvantage if you play multiplayer with just 2.

Most of the time, yeah. Especially for the main story hunts, the timer might as well almost not exist. The only time it gets short is for some of the end game investigation hunts. Keep in mind monsters have much less HP when you play solo. They get scaled up for multiplayer, but the dumb part is they have the same hp whether you have 2 players or 4 players. You're actually at a disadvantage if you play multiplayer with just 2.

how does matchmaking work?...scaled to your level?

There's not really matchmaking. You can post hunts to the message board for others to join, or you can join hunts other people have posted from there. You can also fire an SoS flare from inside a hunt that will post your hunt on the board as well. You don't get the SoS flare until you're done with the first few hunts, though. Hunts have a minimum hunter rank to join, but there is no upper limit. You might get a super geared HR 300 guy (not yet on PC, obviously lol) that will come stomp the monster, or you might get a guy that barely meets the minimum req.

I really want to get this on Day 1 but I'm going to be patient and wait until a few patches are released...hopefully in a month or 2 the extra DLC content will be released along with a High-Res texture pack...as is graphics seem more or less on par with consoles with the major upgrades being resolution and frame rate...this game really could use a texture upgrade...plus with Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming out next month (which I already pre-ordered) I'm hoping that MH:W will be a better game around late September/October

rates it as a buy

I keep... not being able to ignore this game.

This gent is by my estimation a straight shooter. I've always like a lot of his videos.

I'd say this video moved me a bit closer to a possible purchase.

I just read what the guys here that own the game had to say about it and I bought it.

Yeah, I trust you'll more. ;)

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I just read what the guys here that own the game had to say about it and I bought it.

Yeah, I trust you'll more. ;)

Right. I've been keeping an eye on the console thread here and this one. I'm looking at GMG. That 22 percent off isn't bad but I wouldn't mind seeing another voucher like I saw a few weeks ago that would take it to 27 percent off. ;)

How does this game compare to Dauntless? I'm interested, but ended up getting a little burnt out on Dauntless once you hit a certain lvl you're just grinding the same boss over and over in an attempt to get that rare scale/etc to drop.

How does this game compare to Dauntless? I'm interested, but ended up getting a little burnt out on Dauntless once you hit a certain lvl you're just grinding the same boss over and over in an attempt to get that rare scale/etc to drop.

Much, much more depth than Dauntless. Dauntless is like MonHun Extreme-Light Edition.

There is still some end-game grinding, but it never felt tedious to me for the most part.

I would recommend trying out many different weapons and armor sets to keep the gameplay fresh.

There's not really matchmaking. You can post hunts to the message board for others to join, or you can join hunts other people have posted from there. You can also fire an SoS flare from inside a hunt that will post your hunt on the board as well. You don't get the SoS flare until you're done with the first few hunts, though. Hunts have a minimum hunter rank to join, but there is no upper limit. You might get a super geared HR 300 guy (not yet on PC, obviously lol) that will come stomp the monster, or you might get a guy that barely meets the minimum req.

To expand on this, you can do "matchmaking" which means it will throw you into a (semi?) random lobby with other players. You can also do filtered searches for lobbies (16 players to a lobby max) by various criteria, including "similar rank". However, this means if you're HR 100 for example, you won't get placed with HR50, but you also won't get placed with HR200+. So it's kind of weird that way. I tend to just filter by whatever (or nothing) and then choose a lobby. You can see what the lobby owner's rank is before joining.

like this
I never bothered with lobbies. I always found that people in my lobbies never posted things I wanted to do, so I always just used the board and searched for hunts I needed.

I never bothered with lobbies. I always found that people in my lobbies never posted things I wanted to do, so I always just used the board and searched for hunts I needed.

Yeah, the only times I really search for lobbies specifically are when I want to do Arena quests or fight Kulve Taroth.

with the number of monster (bosses) in this game the fact that they were able to keep each encounter unique and not feel repetitive is a testament to the developers...

I got an additional 5% off voucher from GMG (on top of the 18% pre-order discount)...so I can buy it for $46.73...very tempting...my mouse will be hovering over the 'Buy' button for the next few hours...

Monster Hunter: World’s PC port uses your Steam Groups as squads

on PC, Monster Hunter: World looks at the Steam Groups you belong to and considers them as in-game squads, listing them exactly where you’d find the normal ad-hoc squads created in-game on the console versions of the game...there’s a menu for selecting which group you want to set as your ‘primary’ group, and the group icon will appear next to your character’s name when you’re in the Gathering Hub...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/monster-hunter-world/monster-hunter-world-steam-groups

like this
WTF? It's like Ubisoft counseled them on how to fuck their game up the ass.

This sounds potentially really shitty:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...h-cpus-that-lack-the-fma3-instructions.60963/

Sounds like Denuvo in this game won't run on anything pre-4th gen Intel or pre-Piledriver AMD.

Fuck Denuvo in general, but if this is true...double fuck 'em.

According to the Reddit link in your link it was a verification bug that has supposedly been patched. It would be weird for the game not to support pre-fm3 chips as the min requirements have a CPU without it listed.

According to the Reddit link in your link it was a verification bug that has supposedly been patched. It would be weird for the game not to support pre-fm3 chips as the min requirements have a CPU without it listed.

Thankfully, it was fixed quickly, but I have to wonder why this sort of verification ever would be implemented in the first place.

Thankfully, it was fixed quickly, but I have to wonder why this sort of verification ever would be implemented in the first place.
Afraid that someone with a Snapdragon processor in their cellphone will pirate the game.

Ha ha ha ha ha! :)

Because many people try to run newer games on CPUs that don't support the required instruction sets, that's why. Remember Resident Evil 7? Capcom caved and decreased the game's performance just to satisfy everyone bitching that the game wouldn't run on their 13 year old Athlon X2.

Because many people try to run newer games on CPUs that don't support the required instruction sets, that's why. Remember Resident Evil 7? Capcom caved and decreased the game's performance just to satisfy everyone bitching that the game wouldn't run on their 13 year old Athlon X2.

I can see the argument if it went back farther than 4th gen Intel, but this just didn't make sense.

roommate just d/l'd in 12 minutes. :) seems to hold 60fps at the default 1080p mid settings with minor dips in fights. need to update his drivers and look at tweaking it for him. graphics setting are weird with all the variable stuff and terms that I dont recognize so some reading might be needed...

I read somewhere that turning off volumetric fog improved framerate quite a bit. Won't have time to play with this until I get home, but I have it installed and ready to go.

I read somewhere that turning off volumetric fog improved framerate quite a bit. Won't have time to play with this until I get home, but I have it installed and ready to go.
the volume rendering quality setting adds the shininess to everything and supposedly hit fps hard too.

I didn't even know you could lock out specific hardware with Denuvo. That is both interesting and potentially troubling. I imagine they tried to do it so people with below min specs couldn't access the game. It's a pretty dumb move really. Using DRM to block people form playing is going to cause a lot more outrage than people trying to run it below spec.

That seems to be the case from what I've heard as well. I'm sort of in the same boat. I can't even get it downloaded until I'm home and probably won't even have time to play until later at night.

On the first hunt, where you are supposed to slay 7 jagras. Killed one, the others ran off. moron team leader is just sitting there, and searching area just tells me to go back to him. Is my game hosed or is there something I should be doing? No interaction appears to work.

edit: nevermind, it looks like you are supposed to head in the direction he is pointing

Last edited:
On the first hunt, where you are supposed to slay 7 jagras. Killed one, the others ran off. moron team leader is just sitting there, and searching area just tells me to go back to him. Is my game hosed or is there something I should be doing? No interaction appears to work.

The team leader doesn't do anything, same with any other NPCs in this game that are out in the world. Usually they either just regurgitate dialogue at you, or sometimes you can talk to them for delivery quests (in the case of the Researchers that show up in maps sometimes).

You need to search around for different areas where the monsters are. If you bring up the full map you should be able to see creature locations and hover over them to make sure they are the right ones. There should be an objective in the upper right (I believe) of the screen telling you what to do.

It kinda sucks that they chose the Ancient Forest as the first map, because it's by far the most complicated to navigate. I still have trouble with it sometimes after 380+ hours.

Really, in the early game, just take your time and explore. Soon you will have access to go on Expeditions, which allows you to roam the map and gather resources, kill monsters, etc. without a time limit. Run around, get to know the maps, and collect resources.

Folded like a cheap suit and bought this last night lol. It's so far a fun game. The number of weapons and play styles with them seems huge. Right now I am favoring the Sword Axe one. Is it just me or is target locking completely useless? The character doesn't actually try to face the target it just keeps the target in the camera frame. I guess that's the way it's suppose to work but it feels so weird at first. I spent like the first hour just in the training area trying out all the weapons.

No framerate issues on my rig @ 1440. I left it unlocked and it never dropped below 62 fps with everything at max.

Turn off target locking. Trust me.

Having it on by default was a huge mistake.

I would say the best weapons for beginners are the longsword, dual blades, and sword and shield.

This sounds potentially really shitty:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...h-cpus-that-lack-the-fma3-instructions.60963/

Sounds like Denuvo in this game won't run on anything pre-4th gen Intel or pre-Piledriver AMD.

Fuck Denuvo in general, but if this is true...double fuck 'em.

it's good that this was fixed...I'm still running an i7 980X Gulftown 6-core CPU and it hasn't been an issue in any current game...I upgrade my GPU fairly often but I don't want to have to also upgrade my CPU every 2 years

Back