Monster Hunter: World

I heard frame rates on the consoles struggled to consistently hit 60 so maybe it's an optimization issue which is forcing them to cap it at 60 on PC...the PC version could go either way and be a complete mess or fairly good...I'm definitely going to wait till after it launches to see what the performance is like along with other things like kb/m support etc
It runs around 30-40 FPS on PS4 Pro and 40-50 FPS on XB1X when priortizing framerate. It's nearly a consistent 30 prioritizing resolution. Both modes don't feel smooth at all, though. It's like trying to play the console versions of Dark Souls 3.

I've never played Monster Hunter before. Do you only fight Bosses or are there little guys to fight too?

I'm still trying to get a handle on it. It's gorgeous but essentially what I've gathered...and I hope to be mistaken here... is it's always online (Destiny, Division, etc.) and you go through a story mode of some kind (or an excuse) and the entire game is grind, loot, gear up, fight big bosses, rinse and repeat.

Is that it or is there more to it?

I'm still trying to get a handle on it. It's gorgeous but essentially what I've gathered...and I hope to be mistaken here... is it's always online (Destiny, Division, etc.) and you go through a story mode of some kind (or an excuse) and the entire game is grind, loot, gear up, fight big bosses, rinse and repeat.

No, that's pretty much it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
do you ever get to a point in this game where you are overpowered and can take on any Monster solo without any real issues?

It runs around 30-40 FPS on PS4 Pro and 40-50 FPS on XB1X when priortizing framerate. It's nearly a consistent 30 prioritizing resolution. Both modes don't feel smooth at all, though. It's like trying to play the console versions of Dark Souls 3.

Gotta disagree with the PS4 Pro numbers, it runs at a pretty solid 30 FPS in Resolution priority, and on Framerate priority it's definitely higher. Probably closer to 50-60 most of the time, with some occasional dips when you've got a lot of particle effects going on.

I haven't had any issues with smoothness or playability with Framerate priority mode. Resolution priority looks gorgeous but IMO is unplayable due to the 30 FPS cap.

I think that's trivializing it a bit, but yes, that is essentially the gameplay loop. The replay value comes with learning/mastering fighting all of the different monsters, fighting on different maps, doing co-op, and trying/mastering new weapons.

One thing you have to realize is that each weapon type in this game is a completely different gameplay experience. And there are 14 of them.

isn't it capped on the consoles? so being uncapped would be enough for the requirements. and like a lot of games, maybe the highest setting dont show unless you really look but have a huge performance hit.

isn't it capped on the consoles? so being uncapped would be enough for the requirements. and like a lot of games, maybe the highest setting dont show unless you really look but have a huge performance hit.

I believe on console (PS4 Pro specifically) the options are:

Resolution Priority - 4K checkerboard, 30 FPS cap
Graphics Priority - 1080p + extra graphics options, 30 FPS cap
Framerate Priority - 1080p, uncapped framerate

ah I see. think my roommate was playing at 1080p/30 on a reg ps4. so I dont think its that unreasonable that 1080p+/60+ at max will be demanding.

This doesn't really bode well:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...-on-highest-settings-at-1440p-pc-screenshots/

I am holding off on purchasing until after release, and we find out what the story really is. The graphics do look good, but IMO not good enough to justify that kind of low performance.

EDIT: However, it does also appear that uncapped framerate is an option, so that's good.

I use a 1440p G-Sync monitor with a GTX 1070...this game seems badly optimized...I'm not touching this until a few patches are released...the graphics don't look all that amazing to be performing so poorly

Monster Hunter World on PC Pre-Release Stream - IGN

So, I was immediately annoyed by the dude narrating who claims the Reddit performance stuff was "inaccurate", then goes on to say that yeah, on a 1080 at 1440p and max detail you won't hit 60. Which exactly is what the Reddit stuff said.

They are running here on a 980 at 1080p and getting 60-70 uncapped while just running around, to which he claims this is the "most demanding" it gets (false). Later you see actual fighting and it's dipping down into the 40s. I imagine if you fought a monster like Teostra with a lot of particle effects, or have multiple hunters on screen at once, you would be seeing some significant dips - same as on PS4.

I dunno. I think that if it was stable 60 at 1440p @ max on a 1080, that would be acceptable to me. As-is, I don't see much reason to get this over the PS4 version since neither the framerate nor the graphics are really much better, and I have like 350+ hours into the PS4 version.

Thoughts - PC Max looks virtually indistinguishable from PS4 Pro. Performance should really be better than what it is purported to be.

little sis and I just watched that. she's played it on ps4 and she thinks the pc looks way better. I can see the differences but gotta look hard.

little sis and I just watched that. she's played it on ps4 and she thinks the pc looks way better. I can see the differences but gotta look hard.

The only thing I could see is that the shadows look sharper on the PC. Otherwise, some people are commenting that the textures on some of the armor and whatnot actually seem to look better on the PS4.

The only thing I could see is that the shadows look sharper on the PC. Otherwise, some people are commenting that the textures on some of the armor and whatnot actually seem to look better on the PS4.
I could she the higher shadows and lighting quality, foliage looks denser, better and more movment, the sky is massively better, aa is better. the details are there you gotta look hard though, its like the max settings in a lot of games.

you guys make me laugh. you would pass on a highly rated game because the graphics are not optimized enough for your hardware.

and seem to expect every single game to run at max settings on current top hardware. games should push the hardware to be better like the old days...

Thoughts - PC Max looks virtually indistinguishable from PS4 Pro. Performance should really be better than what it is purported to be.

Right cause YouTube is a good place to make comparisons.. I heard they don't compress there videos or anything.

you guys make me laugh. you would pass on a highly rated game because the graphics are not optimized enough for your hardware.

For me it's just not enough of an upgrade to start over after so many hours on PS4. But I will pick this up eventually, for sure.

and seem to expect every single game to run at max settings on current top hardware. games should push the hardware to be better like the old days...

I really love this game, but I can admit that it's really not top-tier graphics. I can run Witcher 3 at max detail with a HD texture pack better than this game, and that game looks WAY better. There are several games that look better and run better. It's just a port issue, hopefully they can optimize it better.

Right cause YouTube is a good place to make comparisons.. I heard they don't compress there videos or anything.

Compression doesn't change texture blur. Plus they are compressed the same amount so...?

Don't misunderstand me, I do highly encourage people to buy this, especially if you've never played a MH game before. I am just going to wait because I have an experience and character built up on PS4 and this doesn't seem a big enough upgrade to me to warrant starting over. And honestly, yeah, the performance is a little bit disappointing to me considering the graphical quality.

Now, if I could transfer my save data? Hmm...yeah, I probably would buy it right at release.

I will say that I saw some footage earlier of the PC version on an SSD and the load times are phenomenal, even better than a PS4 Pro with an SSD.

the graphics don't justify the performance in my eyes...if the game looked amazing then it would be a different story and well worth it but overall the textures, foliage, lighting etc look washed out...plus none of the free DLC will launch with the PC version...sounds better to wait for a few patches

the graphics don't justify the performance in my eyes...if the game looked amazing then it would be a different story and well worth it but overall the textures, foliage, lighting etc look washed out...plus none of the free DLC will launch with the PC version...sounds better to wait for a few patches

Yeah, that's another point, you can get the PS4 version for $30-40 at this point with a lot more added content than the PC version at $60. Presumably all of that content will come to PC eventually, but still, the content already exists.

but all those textures and foliage and lighting still take resources. the higher detail sky takes resources. now if it runs like shit on everything then id says its "unoptimized".
Yeah, that's another point, you can get the PS4 version for $30-40 at this point with a lot more added content than the PC version at $60. Presumably all of that content will come to PC eventually, but still, the content already exists.
didn't the trailer say it comes with all existing dlc?
I still think that there is actual reason for the gpu reqs but ill wait and see if [H] takes a look at it.

didn't the trailer say it comes with all existing dlc?

No, the trailer (if you are referring to the PC trailer on page 2 of this thread) says that "free updates will come following the game's release". From everything I have seen, none of the content updates (Deviljho, Kulve Taroth, etc.) will be on the PC at launch.

No, the trailer (if you are referring to the PC trailer on page 2 of this thread) says that "free updates will come following the game's release". From everything I have seen, none of the content updates (Deviljho, Kulve Taroth, etc.) will be on the PC at launch.
yeah youre right. must have been something else I watched. googled and found: "Like other PC ports, Monster Hunter World will gradually receive similar updates to the console version. The Event Quest schedule will differ from other platforms and Capcom asks fans to tune to its various social channels for more details about when additional content will be released."

just saw that was aboot to post it. like I said its demanding. the "I expect, I expect" is getting old though...

Tom: I've been playing on medium settings at 1920x1080 borderless windowed on a machine with a GTX 970, Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3 GHz CPU (which is an older CPU and below the minimum spec)
On my PC the game regularly stutters and sometimes pauses for five our more seconds at a time. The issue was pronounced enough to cause the audio to go out of sync with the visuals in the opening cutscenes. In the middle of a fight these pauses seriously disrupt the action. Those with older CPUs like the 2500K will likely need a substantial overclock to get smoother performance."

hmmm I wonder why?

just saw that was aboot to post it. like I said its demanding. the "I expect, I expect" is getting old though...

but it's demanding for no good reason, which screams bad optimization...it's not like the game looks like Witcher 3

but it's demanding for no good reason, which screams bad optimization...it's not like the game looks like Witcher 3
just because it doesn't look like another game doesn't mean it isn't demanding. the amount of "active" foliage alone will is a huge hit, the post processing too.

It would actually be really nice if they released a demo on PC like they did for the PS4. Seeing it in action, if it performs better than expected, might motivate some to buy.

It would actually be really nice if they released a demo on PC like they did for the PS4. Seeing it in action, if it performs better than expected, might motivate some to buy.

the new fad is releasing a demo some time after the game has been out for awhile...

Should you play Monster: Hunter World with a mouse and keyboard?

the mouse and keyboard controls, for example, are almost perfect, but with a few sticking points that might tempt you to plug in a controller if you have the option...there are two main flaws with Monster Hunter: World's mouse and keyboard scheme...the first is lock-on...you lock with F, but the slightest movement of the mouse moves the lock to the next nearby creature...the quick-use item menu is a bigger problem...

https://www.pcgamer.com/should-you-play-monster-hunter-world-with-a-mouse-and-keyboard/

First off, I would immediately turn off any sort of camera locking onto targets - you do NOT want that shit in this game. It was never something in the previous games, so why they added it with World is beyond me, let alone why they had it set as default. First thing I disabled.

As far as mouse/keyboard...maybe for Bow or the Bowgun weapons it might be good for aiming, but otherwise the game is really meant for a controller. Even with the ranged weapons it feels just fine with a controller.

Back