Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

There is one other potential advantage to MS Store, if this title supports Play Anywhere. I don't know if it does, but IF it does, and IF you want the freedom to play on both a PC and XBox, MS Store is the only way to make that happen. I personally would say that having it on Steam far outweighs having Play Anywhere... but something might disagree.

Side question, as I don't own any of the recent MS releases on Steam... do they tie into MS Store at all (similar to how Ubi games require Uplay)? Or are they entirely managed by Steam?
Good point - if you plan to fly Flight Simulator on Xbox then Windows store version makes sense.

Nope, Steam version of Microsoft and Xbox Games Studios titles do not require presence of the windows store the way Ubisoft titles on Steam require uPlay.

IMO, MS has been doing a lot of things right for creating value-adds for PC gaming lately. While stores like EGS are busy trying to remove choice in where we buy our games, MS sees wisdom in expanding choice - even on their firstparty titles.

Last edited:
I apparently was selected for the beta last week and the e-mail went to my spam folder. Installing it now, will check it out after work tonight!

I got into it too a few days ago. Haven't had much time to mess around with it

123456 (nt to steer offtopuc, but epic is awesome! Taco got so many freebies on it, its wonderful!! Go epic!!)🥰💗
:D

I don't understand why so many disks for physical copy..cnt dual layer blurry hold 50gb already? 2 disks should be all there is..

Most desktops these days don't have blu-ray drives.

Like many flight sims this appears to be CPU limited, not so heavy on GPUs. Would be interesting to see how the current Intels compare. But whatever advantage they may have might be erased with the new AMD CPUs coming soon.

My first order of business will be connecting my LG OLED, spawning the Icon A5 amphibious plane, and then island hopping in the Bahamas or Bora Bora in HDR. This should tide me over until VR in a couple months.

I guess their marketing is working since I'm contemplating on getting the HP Reverb G2 for this game. It looks like it's the best high-end VR headset for late 2020 from all the YouTube comparison videos I'm watching and stuff. I'm slightly familiar with VR since my kids have an Oculus Quest and I know this headset is better in almost every way.

My only concerns is trying to do everything else...This game heavily relies on mouse & keyboard + a full HOTAS setup if you're trying to get the most of out it (I dunno, clicking on knobs in the cockpit for example, or just simply navigating the menus such as changing the weather or time in real time). I just don't know how using those peripherals would be practical when your entire face is covered. I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of "muscle memory" to remember where all your physical buttons and stuff are without actually looking at it. I dunno, seems like a big hurdle if trying to do both at the same time. It's not like a racing sim where all you need to worry about is steering a wheel left & right and maybe using a stick-shift. Any experience with this for a HOTAS flight sim that needs mouse & keyboard inputs as well? I've used TrackIR in the past. That may be the next best thing if not going full VR because at least you can still fully use all your stuff.

My only concerns is trying to do everything else...This game heavily relies on mouse & keyboard + a full HOTAS setup if you're trying to get the most of out it (I dunno, clicking on knobs in the cockpit for example). I just don't know how using those peripherals would be practical when your entire face is covered. I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of "muscle memory" to remember where all your physical buttons and stuff are without actually looking at it. I dunno, seems like a big hurdle if trying to do both at the same time. It's not like a racing sim where all you need to worry about is steering a wheel left & right and maybe using a sifter. Any experience with this for a HOTAS flight sim that needs mouse & keyboard inputs as well? I've used TrackIR in the past. That may be the next best thing if not going full VR because at least you can still fully use all your stuff.

same question I have...so you're going to have to blindly remember every flight stick/keyboard key?...most VR games use simple hand controls but a game like this seems too advanced

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a once-in-a-generation wow moment

Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't the first game to pull in real-world map or weather data to make for a more authentic simulation, nor is it the first game to try and bring us the entire world...but there's an alchemy here that goes beyond bullet point feature lists or plain numbers, blending together to create one of those rare wow moments that come along once a generation, or that maybe herald the next...this really is a phenomenal thing...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...imulator-is-a-once-in-a-generation-wow-moment

You better not hold out on us!

The beta is under NDA and there really isn't any ambiguity in their terms.

1. Do not take photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game.
  2. Do not post photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game on any venue.
  3. Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we’ve instructed you to.
  4. Do not allow others to watch you play the Game.
  5. Do not leave the Game running unattended.

I already broke rule 5 by letting it download while I'm at work, shame on me. To make up for it, I've locked my wife in the basement so that she cannot watch me play. I'm sure that's what they meant.

I already broke rule 5 by letting it download while I'm at work, shame on me. To make up for it, I've locked my wife in the basement so that she cannot watch me play.
downloading is not leaving the game running and good call.

The beta is under NDA and there really isn't any ambiguity in their terms.

I already broke rule 5 by letting it download while I'm at work, shame on me. To make up for it, I've locked my wife in the basement so that she cannot watch me play. I'm sure that's what they meant.

Yea I was looking forward to sharing my thoughts but I guess I can't until release.

Yea I was looking forward to sharing my thoughts but I guess I can't until release.

What I find a little odd is that they clearly started letting media outlets and youtubers talk about it this week. A lot of new information and footage is coming out. Obviously those sources are a much easier to control the flow of information, but the game comes out in two weeks. At this point, i'm not sure I see the harm in letting everyone talk about it, especially when the media response has been overwhelmingly positive.

What I find a little odd is that they clearly started letting media outlets and youtubers talk about it this week. A lot of new information and footage is coming out. Obviously those sources are a much easier to control the flow of information, but the game comes out in two weeks. At this point, i'm not sure I see the harm in letting everyone talk about it, especially when the media response has been overwhelmingly positive.

you'll see why when it releases.. everything they're allowing is completely strategic.

I guess their marketing is working since I'm contemplating on getting the HP Reverb G2 for this game. It looks like it's the best high-end VR headset for late 2020 from all the YouTube comparison videos I'm watching and stuff. I'm slightly familiar with VR since my kids have an Oculus Quest and I know this headset is better in almost every way.

My only concerns is trying to do everything else...This game heavily relies on mouse & keyboard + a full HOTAS setup if you're trying to get the most of out it (I dunno, clicking on knobs in the cockpit for example, or just simply navigating the menus such as changing the weather or time in real time). I just don't know how using those peripherals would be practical when your entire face is covered. I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of "muscle memory" to remember where all your physical buttons and stuff are without actually looking at it. I dunno, seems like a big hurdle if trying to do both at the same time. It's not like a racing sim where all you need to worry about is steering a wheel left & right and maybe using a stick-shift. Any experience with this for a HOTAS flight sim that needs mouse & keyboard inputs as well? I've used TrackIR in the past. That may be the next best thing if not going full VR because at least you can still fully use all your stuff.

most of it's muscle memory and don't bother with TrackIR, it's horrendous to do instrument flying. VR's pretty easy to do after a week or so though, been doing VR off and on with XP11 for a while now. but you can also use the VR controller to control switches and knobs if you wanted to do it that way.

you'll see why when it releases.. everything they're allowing is completely strategic.

I understand the logic of controlling content before release. Being part of the alpha, I also understand what is and is not being shown.

I don't expect my opinion to be any different upon release.

I understand the logic of controlling content before release. Being part of the alpha, I also understand what is and is not being shown.

Tell us in GenMay. Any MS employees couldn't rat as they'd likely be fired for their posts in there lol.

Having not been a part of the alpha long my brief impression is that I really hope there are some changes before released that haven't been pushed to the alpha build.

How are the controlls? Will it be playable with mouse and keyboard with a basic flight stick. My dad is gonna be surprised. Building him a budget computer so he can play this game

How are the controlls? Will it be playable with mouse and keyboard with a basic flight stick. My dad is gonna be surprised. Building him a budget computer so he can play this game
Word is its playable with kb and mouse, Xbox controller, joystick, flight sticks, full Sim gear, all or any of the above.

The G2 exclusive thing was misquoted and clickbaited yesterday, but it's wrong. MS clarified later that it will be platform Iimited initially - meaning WMR headsets - and additional headsets to follow.

And yes it will still work for Steam-purchased. The G2 thing was mostly mentioned on the initial Xbox blog post because that headset's release would roughly coincide with the VR support patch.
Oh that is good news. My Odyessy+ wasn't ready to be retired and the G2 I was on the fence and almost pulled the trigger on just went up $100.

Beautiful. How demanding will this be to really tease out the best view/gameplay? Bleeding edge new rig territory or wait for Ampere cards?

Beautiful. How demanding will this be to really tease out the best view/gameplay? Bleeding edge new rig territory or wait for Ampere cards?

4k60 fps is not possible on a 2080 ti. Not even close.

That could always change in a few weeks though with a release build and new drivers..

Actually, pretty close. Have you mates watched DF video linked?

Yes. I don't recall if they had everything else maxed out.

Some areas are better than others. How busy the ground is (and how close you are) is a big factor. So is weather.

just because you can get 60fps with clear skies over the ocean does not mean you'll see that consistently.

The game can be very demanding. And rightfully so.

Hopefully they add DLSS 2.0 post launch to be able to do 4K60 without having to wait for 3000 series.

Hoping for the same. I believe I saw somewhere they intend to add ray tracing eventually (perhaps around the Series X launch?). That might be a good time to sneak in DLSS also.

If not, the game supports TXAA. Rumor has it whenever we see DLSS 3.0, any game that supports TXAA will support it.

Hopefully they add DLSS 2.0 post launch to be able to do 4K60 without having to wait for 3000 series.
I could be wrong here, but I believe the nature of DLSS and its machine learning design would be virtually impossible with this type of game.
And isn't DLSS disabled for 2080ti's which one would need for 4K60?

the thing with sims is you don't need 60fps, anything from 30-60 is perfectly fine, it's when you get down below a certain frame rate where it creates issues within the simulation. that's why for example XP11 intentionally reduces the speed of the simulation when you drop below 20fps otherwise what you see and what the simulation is doing becomes desynced. whether or not FS20 does this i don't know since it's hard to notice it as a user but we'll find out when people start using VATSIM with low end systems since people running at reduced simulation speeds don't match up with people running normal speed and screws up people doing ATC(anyone at normal speed will see your plane where it should be but if you're running at the reduced simulation speed you might be 50 miles away from them on your screen).

Hoping for the same. I believe I saw somewhere they intend to add ray tracing eventually (perhaps around the Series X launch?). That might be a good time to sneak in DLSS also.

If not, the game supports TXAA. Rumor has it whenever we see DLSS 3.0, any game that supports TXAA will support it.

unless Nvidia makes DLSS hardware agnostic and AMD supports it i doubt we'll see it added but one can hope.

Last edited:
the thing with sims is you don't need 60fps, anything from 30-60 is perfectly fine, it's when you get down below a certain frame rate where it creates issues within the simulation. that's why for example XP11 intentionally reduces the speed of the simulation when you drop below 20fps otherwise what you see and what the simulation is doing becomes desynced. whether or not FS20 does this i don't know since it's hard to notice it as a user but we'll find out when people start using VATSIM with low end systems since people running at reduced simulation speeds don't match up with people running normal speed and screws up people doing ATC(anyone at normal speed will see your plane where it should be but if you're running at the reduced simulation speed you might be 50 miles away from them on your screen).

unless Nvidia makes DLSS hardware agnostic and AMD supports it i doubt we'll see it added but one can hope.
I think the biggest concern would be FPS fluctuations. I'd rather have 30FPS locked and swing from 25-30 than have 60fps locked and swing from 25-60. That being said, I'm sure there are a ton of graphical settings you can dial in to get the quality/performance ratio desired.

I believe DLSS requires tensor cores? If so, i'd assume there really is no making it hardware agnostic.

Also, this is Nvidia we're talking about. The chances of them allowing their proprietary tech to work on AMD hardware is, well, zero.

Will the premium edition grow with more premium content over time or are all editions getting the same content updates?

Will the premium edition grow with more premium content over time or are all editions getting the same content updates?
Good question. I know they're adding helicopters at some point - will the $120 edition get more helicopters than the $60 base edition? Because if premium comes with Airwolf for example then I'm going to need Airwolf - with a fully modeled, drunken Jan Michael Vincent!

Or maybe all the significant DLCs will be paid DLC no matter which version you have.

Last edited:
I don’t even play these kinds of games and I’ll be picking it up.

Same. I appreciate the tech and plan to pick up a 3000 series card as soon as I can add one to a cart and successfully check out. I'd like to put it and my 3900x to work. This seems like a good way to do both and have some fun at the same time.

Back