Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
Discs? lol. I think I have an old USB DVD reader in the closet somewhere. Now that they don't really do physical manuals anymore, no point in getting a boxed version of a game.

I remember when I got Falcon 3.0 back in the 90's and it had a glorious thick manual. Now that was something...

1594884507201.png

I have thousands of hours in that sim as a teenager.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Discs? lol. I think I have an old USB DVD reader in the closet somewhere. Now that they don't really do physical manuals anymore, no point in getting a boxed version of a game.

I remember when I got Falcon 3.0 back in the 90's and it had a glorious thick manual. Now that was something...

View attachment 262087

I have thousands of hours in that sim as a teenager.
I do miss beautiful, detailed instruction manuals. I wouldn't even care if the box only came with a download code these days. If effort was still put into the manuals I'd still be buying physical copies.

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
This a great preview and rundown. And holy hell the eye candy - this seems to go beyond just best flight sim graphics and may be best graphics of any computer game period.

I'm kinda glad now that VR support is delayed or not happening - I would be scared I would just neglect real life and not see sunlight for months.

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
This a great preview and rundown. And holy hell the eye candy - this seems to go beyond just best flight sim graphics and may be best graphics of any computer game period.

I'm kinda glad now that VR support is delayed or not happening - I would be scared I would just neglect real life and not see sunlight for months.
that video got me excited. Also got me thinking the next grand theft auto should feature the whole world as well :D

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Certainly looking at it. $60 is a bit steep for me, but may just get it to mess around in. Just wish the 787 came with the base game, don't care for the others. Probably won't need a $60-150 standalone module either, the default game realism should be enough. Doubtful but maybe it will go on the Steam winter sale with a discount.

Edit: Just realized, no Steam release for now. Sounds like just the MS store...

Last edited:

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
350.png

Since 1 year exclusivity seems to be the ongoing trend, I'll wait 1 year to see if it hits Steam before I start buying hundreds (possible thousands) of dollars worth of planes & airports. I'd hate to start putting a ton of money down on the Windows Store version just to waste it all and move to Steam instead. Steam WILL be cheaper overall in the long run with all their sales if you plan on buying mods, even with buying the game a 2nd time.

TheToE!

[H] Brewmaster
Wondering if there will be a sudden run on flight sticks and gear? ]Kinda reminds me of 2009 when street fighter 4 was about to release. Right afterwards there were no sticks, buttons, parts to be found for a good 6ish months after release.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Wondering if there will be a sudden run on flight sticks and gear? ]Kinda reminds me of 2009 when street fighter 4 was about to release. Right afterwards there were no sticks, buttons, parts to be found for a good 6ish months after release.
I wouldn't be surprised. There was a huge run on sim racing gear once the pandemic started, and with the big news of a new MS flight sim (especially if the review press is positive) I think you will see the same with flight sim gear. That kind of sucks, but on the other hand, hopefully the demand will drive some new products and innovations from the big names like Logitech.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
I wouldn't be surprised. There was a huge run on sim racing gear once the pandemic started, and with the big news of a new MS flight sim (especially if the review press is positive) I think you will see the same with flight sim gear. That kind of sucks, but on the other hand, hopefully the demand will drive some new products and innovations from the big names like Logitech.
I miss the Logitech G940. It's the only complete HOTAS set (including Pedals) that had Forced Feedback. I LOVE forced feedback especially in the older WW1/WW2 flight sim games. It's a shame it was discontinued so long ago. I'm hoping this game + star citizen (yeah I know, lol), will bring about the next generation of complete HOTAS kits.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
I played a good amount of Falcon 4, old manuals could take a while to read, set up references for keys and commands lol.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Flight Simulator teases a partnership with online flight network VATSIM

Microsoft Flight Simulator has teased a partnership with the Virtual Air Traffic Simulation Network, or VATSIM, for the release of the upcoming new edition of the simulator on August 18th...VATSIM is a long-standing institution in the flight simulation community, a nonprofit organization that provides a network where users either fly as pilots or direct air traffic as controllers to produce a simulation of real world air traffic...VATSIM has confirmed that their network will be compatible with Flight Simulator at launch...

Crazy but understandable due to specific country legal reasons and access to poor internet or capped bandwidth.

I think this is a wake-up call though that you're "living in the past" if you choose to fumble around with 10 DVD's just to install a game which still requires additional internet downloads & connectivity anyway.
I'd buy a physical copy in the US if they made it available to us simply to save 90GB of data off my monthly capped internet (screw you Comcast!).

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I'd buy a physical copy in the US if they made it available to us simply to save 90GB of data off my monthly capped internet (screw you Comcast!).
This is really the only compelling argument I see to physical media. 1TB data caps become the standard many years ago, but digital media size and consumption has increased rapidly since 1TB was determined to be more than enough for your average houeshold. I can't help but wonder if the upcoming console generation is going to cause a shift here. 100+GB games are going to become normal (they are already somewhat common), and consoles are becoming more and more focused on digital with each iteration. Even massive day one patches for physical copies are become very common. We're reaching a point where a 1TB data cap isn't at all realistic for anyone who plays video games. How long before ISPs take a page from the mobile industry and figure out that in a saturated market, unlimited data is an incredibly lucrative way to steal business from your competitors?

Ryan7968

Limp Gawd
This is really the only compelling argument I see to physical media. 1TB data caps become the standard many years ago, but digital media size and consumption has increased rapidly since 1TB was determined to be more than enough for your average houeshold. I can't help but wonder if the upcoming console generation is going to cause a shift here. 100+GB games are going to become normal (they are already somewhat common), and consoles are becoming more and more focused on digital with each iteration. Even massive day one patches for physical copies are become very common. We're reaching a point where a 1TB data cap isn't at all realistic for anyone who plays video games. How long before ISPs take a page from the mobile industry and figure out that in a saturated market, unlimited data is an incredibly lucrative way to steal business from your competitors?
The city I lived in announced a couple of years ago that they would be running fiber everywhere and act as an ISP, I had been excited but patiently waiting for it to happen. Fast forward to this year and the very month it becomes available I moved about an hour away (closer to work for me and my girlfriend). I could have been paying less than I pay Comcast for gigabit fiber with no data caps. I'm in complete agreement with you that 1TB is too low for the size of these game installs. Most months it's not an issue but it could rapidly become a habitual problem.

I'll be able to squeeze in the massive download for this game though, can't wait for it to come out because it looks amazing.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
at the end of the day data caps are all about maximizing profit, it has nothing to do with them trying to save money.. find a number where a certain percentage of average users stay under but where enough users exceed to force them to pay for unlimited bandwidth each month.. thus the 1TB mark was set by most high speed ISP's and data caps are far more lucrative then trying to steal a few customers because it costs them nothing, while trying to get customers requires marketing which requires spending.

The city I lived in announced a couple of years ago that they would be running fiber everywhere and act as an ISP, I had been excited but patiently waiting for it to happen. Fast forward to this year and the very month it becomes available I moved about an hour away (closer to work for me and my girlfriend). I could have been paying less than I pay Comcast for gigabit fiber with no data caps. I'm in complete agreement with you that 1TB is too low for the size of these game installs. Most months it's not an issue but it could rapidly become a habitual problem.

I'll be able to squeeze in the massive download for this game though, can't wait for it to come out because it looks amazing.
consider yourself lucky because i guarantee in 5 years that shit will get sold off to the lowest bidder and people will still be paying the taxes on it for the next 10-15 years while having to pay for internet to a private company.

all you have to do is look at spectrum(aka charter) that look over a lot of verizon's fiber and has done the bare minimum to support it.

all that aside if you think just downloading the game is bad, have i got some bad news for you if you want to run azure auto generated textures while doing long haul flights..

Flight Simulator teases a partnership with online flight network VATSIM

Microsoft Flight Simulator has teased a partnership with the Virtual Air Traffic Simulation Network, or VATSIM, for the release of the upcoming new edition of the simulator on August 18th...VATSIM is a long-standing institution in the flight simulation community, a nonprofit organization that provides a network where users either fly as pilots or direct air traffic as controllers to produce a simulation of real world air traffic...VATSIM has confirmed that their network will be compatible with Flight Simulator at launch...

is it really teasing when everyone in the flight sim community knew this was happening before FS20 alpha started? lol VATSIM wasn't really that hush about it, literally FS20 was announced and they said they were already going to support it whether or not it was official or unofficial.

depends on what you're looking for.. for the generic stuff the vast majority of people will get, yeah probably.. but there's a lot of good less known HOTAS and yoke controllers out there that aren't super expensive either.

Last edited:

DWolvin

2[H]4U
I wonder what types of instrumentation will be supported. I'm semi-tech support for an old guy in the neighborhood who has a full cockpit (A4 Skyhawk) with the instruments replaced with Simkits USB stuff. It seems like it should be really cool, but the actual gauges seem to only work 25% of the time. I think it's Simkits, not FSX but updating the base code certainly can't hurt anything.

Or; do any of you simmers know a better company for gauge pods?

sirmonkey1985

I wonder what types of instrumentation will be supported. I'm semi-tech support for an old guy in the neighborhood who has a full cockpit (A4 Skyhawk) with the instruments replaced with Simkits USB stuff. It seems like it should be really cool, but the actual gauges seem to only work 25% of the time. I think it's Simkits, not FSX but updating the base code certainly can't hurt anything.

Or; do any of you simmers know a better company for gauge pods?
i feel his pain, i tried to do something similar in xp11 but was a royal pain in the arse dealing with the scripts to make them work that i gave up and now use a 4th screen which is a 22" 1080p touch screen that has all my guages(can't remember the name of the software right now though, sorry) with my radio clusters to the right side of it and my switch cluster to the left of it. but it can be a pain to get running sometimes when XP11 doesn't feel like playing nice with it. i'll probably be getting rid of the switch cluster when the honey comb throttle quantrant is released.

nvm found an old bookmark, software is called air manager and you can either make your own guage setup or buy/download pre-made ones.

Last edited:

TwistedMetalGear

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone recommend which peripherals are "must have" for this game, specifically for casual players? Guessing a joystick at the very least?

DWolvin

2[H]4U
The Thrustmaster 16000M goes on sale pretty often and has sensors that don't drift out of alighment (the only cheap one I know of).

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
You'll want some type of HOTAS or yoke/quadrant. I know there are cheap HOTAS for $70-80. I wouldn't bother with a standalone joystick.

sirmonkey1985

Can anyone recommend which peripherals are "must have" for this game, specifically for casual players? Guessing a joystick at the very least?
depends on what you want to fly..

if you want to do GA or Boeing and want stuff on a budget then CH yoke and CH pedels and logitech throttle quadrant are a cheap starting point.. they don't have the deadzone issue the logitech crap has but i much prefer the honeycomb yoke.

if you want airbus/fighters then the logitech T1600M flight packs a decent starting point without breaking the bank. you can also use the throttle from the T1600M for everything else if you're just doing it casually instead of the logitech throttle quadrant in the above one.

FighterAce124

2[H]4U
A standard joystick with a slider throttle on it is more than enough for a casual player, $20-35 range. Itll get you flying, and from there can determine if its worth spending more on a proper setup. The Thustmaster T16000 is pretty amazing for its price point, but if you're really casual, I cant see saying to throw $60+ at a joystick when a dirt cheap one will do just as well most likely.

Hell I use a 15+ year old Logitech Extreme 3D I think (not at home atm), so old that it originally came with a serial port connector and a dongle to convert that to USB. It works fine since my X52 HOTAS was lost during a move, and I dont fly in anything often enough right now to spend the money on a new setup. * To be transparent though, I had to open it up and adjust the twist sensor since it started registering a constant twist and deadzone to the left... opened, knocked the sensor/knob thing against a desk, put back in, working great now :p

Last edited:

TwistedMetalGear

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like the Thrustmaster T.16000M is at an all time high price and there's an airbus edition coming in September. Now I'm torn. Perhaps I should just wait for the airbus edition and play with a controller until then.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Seems like the Thrustmaster T.16000M is at an all time high price and there's an airbus edition coming in September. Now I'm torn. Perhaps I should just wait for the airbus edition and play with a controller until then.
I just got the Airbus TCA Sidestick today, it's really nice. Definitely cool if you have any interest in flying Airbuses (but of course it would work well in pretty much anything)

FighterAce124

2[H]4U
*girly squeal*

!!!!!!

*another girly squeal*

Yeah, preordered on steam. Huzzah.

I wasnt impressed or excited at first, but the more time goes on the more I cant wait for this. Going to order a proper control setup sometime soon as well. Will be useful to have for War Thunder and Star Citizen as well anyway. Thats the story Im telling myself... its not really because this game will be even better with it than my existing ancient joystick... no... not at all.

bink

[H]ard|Gawd
Premium deluxe day 1 for me. Cant wait for vr. Time to dust off the old saitek x45.

i didnt see a TBM in the list of available planes.Bummer. Wonder if CAPS will be a thing on the sr22.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I love how the the game seems tailored for all playstyles from super real world simulator to easy mode for people who don't want to get into the hard core mechanics of flying...it also seems to work fine across all inputs- flight sticks, controller, KB/M etc...the Digital Foundry video mentioned the game being 'relaxing' and that is a good thing...flying from place to place and taking in the sights...VR should look incredible

FighterAce124

2[H]4U
I love how the the game seems tailored for all playstyles from super real world simulator to easy mode for people who don't want to get into the hard core mechanics of flying...it also seems to work fine across all inputs- flight sticks, controller, KB/M etc...the Digital Foundry video mentioned the game being 'relaxing' and that is a good thing...flying from place to place and taking in the sights...VR should look incredible
Thats not new for the MSFS games. I remember bouncing off the ground like a super ball in FS98 when I got it as a 10 year old... You just had to set realism to the right amount for what you wanted. Auto mixture, auto rudder, proper airspeed indication, unlimited fuel, no stress crashes, no collisions, no...... etc etc etc.. All have been there since at least 98 lol. You could have GPS, enable autopilot in aircraft that didnt have it...

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Thats not new for the MSFS games. I remember bouncing off the ground like a super ball in FS98 when I got it as a 10 year old... You just had to set realism to the right amount for what you wanted. Auto mixture, auto rudder, proper airspeed indication, unlimited fuel, no stress crashes, no collisions, no...... etc etc etc.. All have been there since at least 98 lol. You could have GPS, enable autopilot in aircraft that didnt have it...
I think most people just assume that something with 'Simulator' in the title is for the hard core players...I played a helicopter sim many years ago and damn that was not fun...just taking off required learning dozens of commands...felt like I could fly a real helicopter after playing the game

polonyc2

Fully [H]
New Microsoft Flight Simulator Gameplay | Stormy weather montage

New Microsoft Flight Simulator Gameplay | Flying over famous landmarks & cities

San Francisco to Las Vegas Full Flight Gameplay