Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
I think a game like Pcars and VTOL have incredible potential to be the absolute best experience VR can provide, if only we had the hardware to do them justice. A super high res HMD (4K-8K), and a GPU capable of pushing that to 60fps... and I think you'd have something really special. Hopefully in a few years we'll be there, but for now I tend to avoid games of this nature in VR.
Won't require years though. We're right on the verge of the mythical "I'll wait for 4K / 8K" and "I'll wait for next gen" point that the fence-sitters often mention. Example HP just announced Reverb G2 ($599) with 2160x2160 per eye (that's 2.5x pixels more than Rift S), and Samsung and others are expected to follow this summer (Odyssey 2, etc). The "through the lens" preview videos of the Reverb G2 show no perceptible pixelation - its going to be remarkable for flight sims (and HL:Alyx and everything else).

Also an insane GPU isn't required. Hell, a 1060 will run VTOL VR at 90FPS right now, and my 2080Ti runs it at over 6.4K (3212x4012 per eye SuperSampled 500%) @ 90FPS with room to spare.

So what many don't realize is the tech's already at a point that a mind-blowing simulation of the experience of flight can be had today with a cheap $300 HMD.

Last edited:

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Just preordered the ultra super duper edition. Been a plane fan my whole life even though I'm not a true pilot (got about 60 hours behind a Diamond DA-20 though, but never finished my private pilots license). It was the original Flight Simulator 95~98 that brought flying as a passion into my life as a child. It was also the first true "open world" video game I ever played which also brought on my passion for PC gaming and ignored the console peasants.

I current work at Allegiant Air (based out of Las Vegas) which has around 100 A319/A320's so can't wait to try out the A320 in the game.

I'll probably get the new Thrustmaster Airbus A320 HOTAS set as well (I know it won't be fully complete until the end of the year). Looks a bit plastic-ey but they're also the same people that made the infamous Thurstmaster Warthog so I guess it can't be that bad.

Edit: No helicopters huh? That's kind of a first for the series. I can't imagine the $1000's of dollars worth of DLC's this game will have within a year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Excited and disappointed at once. I would have hoped for a wider detailed airport selection out of the gate at each tier. Finding that listing rather limited. Considering the history of the game in Chicaco sad to see even ORD is not included at the base level. I know the auto tech will help fill on anything found from the images in but c'mon. I'm used to buying DLC and still play FSX but at least with FSX the game came with a nice selection of functional airports and you could get some decent packs to expand several to much much higher or crazy detail level as with other sims. Makes the 60 dollar price sting a little bit from a major distributor with an audience ready to start spending cash. At least offer some as free DLC down the road.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
crazy that it's going to be available on Game Pass PC on Day 1...
no reason not to.. allows people to try it first then buy it later.. it's essentially monetizing demo's.

Excited and disappointed at once. I would have hoped for a wider detailed airport selection out of the gate at each tier. Finding that listing rather limited. Considering the history of the game in Chicaco sad to see even ORD is not included at the base level. I know the auto tech will help fill on anything found from the images in but c'mon. I'm used to buying DLC and still play FSX but at least with FSX the game came with a nice selection of functional airports and you could get some decent packs to expand several to much much higher or crazy detail level as with other sims. Makes the 60 dollar price sting a little bit from a major distributor with an audience ready to start spending cash. At least offer some as free DLC down the road.

considering the average price of full airport sceneries in XP11 go for 20-30 dollars a piece 120 bucks for all those airports before even considering the planes you get is cheap. the autogen airports are still good though, you just don't get all the auto gate features and what not that come with the scenery airports. there will likely be 3rd party freeware stuff down the line though, it's the only way they'd be able to survive against XP11. because the reality is the vast majority of enthusiast in this market are the same people using bestbuy prebuilds that won't be able to play FS20 at the graphic settings that'll make the sim look any better than xp11 and the many freeware scenery addon's available to it.

Edit: No helicopters huh? That's kind of a first for the series. I can't imagine the $1000's of dollars worth of DLC's this game will have within a year.
considering i'm well over 2k dollars spent on xp11 sceneries/planes at this point it won't be that surprising. flight sims are an expensive hobby. also helicopters are coming, realistic flight modeling for them is just insanely hard and why even xp11 doesn't have that many of them either.

Last edited:

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
I wonder if the game will ever come to Steam before I put too much money into the Windows Store version. I could imagine those 75% off sales will do wonders when there's $1000's of dollars worth of DLC's. It may be way cheaper overall in the long run even buying a 2nd time on Steam assuming it ever makes it there.

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
I wonder if the game will ever come to Steam before I put too much money into the Windows Store version. I could imagine those 75% off sales will do wonders when there's $1000's of dollars worth of DLC's. It may be way cheaper overall in the long run even buying a 2nd time on Steam assuming it ever makes it there.
I doubt it. Microsoft created games support the microsoft ecosystem, which is growing due to game pass/ms store exclusive titles.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Just ordered another 16gb of ram for this. It's REALLY ram hungry.
I noticed Microsoft dropped the earlier recommended specs from 32GB back down to officially 16GB but I believe people like Vega said the game was using like 29GB RAM. Wondering if this is the first PC game that actually needs more than 16GB RAM to have max details. I'm ready but I know most people aren't.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like the Microsoft store only lists minimum & recommended. The 32GB comes from the older "Ideal Spec" slides that aren't listed on the website.

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
I noticed Microsoft dropped the earlier recommended specs from 32GB back down to officially 16GB but I believe people like Vega said the game was using like 29GB RAM. Wondering if this is the first PC game that actually needs more than 16GB RAM to have max details. I'm ready but I know most people aren't.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like the Microsoft store only lists minimum & recommended. The 32GB comes from the older "Ideal Spec" slides that aren't listed on the website.
as of today, that slide is still valid and on the preorder faq:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015204020

TwistedMetalGear

[H]ard|Gawd
Can somebody explain the airport selection to me? Standard edition includes 30, so does that mean I can only take off and land at 30 different airports? I thought this game included the entire earth and thus every airport on earth? Unless it means 30 hand modeled airports?

UltraTaco

Gawd
... Wondering if this is the first PC game that actually needs more than 16GB RAM to have max details. I'm ready but I know most people aren't.
Well, this isn't no ordinary game. I'm sure they future proofed it. Once you crank that baby into "maximum ultra extra OH MY!!!" settings, it'll swallow most of 32gb and possibly ask for more, mate!! Keep 'em biscuits coming!!!!

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Can somebody explain the airport selection to me? Standard edition includes 30, so does that mean I can only take off and land at 30 different airports? I thought this game included the entire earth and thus every airport on earth? Unless it means 30 hand modeled airports?
If it's anything like the previous Microsoft Flight Simulators, every single airport in the world is in the game (37,000+?). All of these airports should be fairly usable, accurate, and detailed. These are just the "premium" airports which every single part is handcrafted to match the real world airports. There may be some additional functionality like actual working gates & ground crew only at these "premium" airports.

I'll admit the team did a bad job. Unless you knew how the previous flight simulator games worked, you would think your only getting 30, 35, or 40 airports only. They should really fix this.

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
can you land anywhere? Like a highway? If you can land at any airport in the world, some of which might be in terrible condition, I would guess you can land anywhere big enough to set a plane down, but I could be wrong. I've never played a flight simulator but am looking forward to this one on day one.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
can you land anywhere? Like a highway? If you can land at any airport in the world, some of which might be in terrible condition, I would guess you can land anywhere big enough to set a plane down, but I could be wrong. I've never played a flight simulator but am looking forward to this one on day one.
Gosh I haven't played Flight Simulator in almost 10 years but yes you can technically land on a highway or even on top of skyscrapers (in a helicopter) unless they changed anything. It's pretty much google maps but in a flight simulator. You can fly to any place in the world on a 1:1 scale. It's just now 100x more detailed & accurate than before using bing maps. This was a really big deal back in the 90's growing up when most games are just closed / linear experiences.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
I'm actually surprised they made this game honestly. The gaming crowd is much different than it use to be. I would assume a flight simulator is "boring" to 99% of the audience today. Microsoft tried to get into the "casual" crowd before and made a game called Microsoft Flight (notice missing the simulator word). It was a complete disaster and a cash-grab at best. It became unsupported & forgotten quickly.

Flight Simulator is more of an open sandbox game where you make your own adventures or challenges. You're not going to get cut scenes, explosions, quick-time events, romance options, RPG elements, etc. like you see in almost every game today. Some things I remember doing fondly was like island hopping in the Caribbean, landing a large aircraft on a small runway, trying to fly/land in horrible weather, flying low through dense cities and avoiding skyscrapers, landing on an aircraft carrier, flying where my house/town is, just learning how to control/master the larger planes, etc.

Another big thing was the mods. You could download practically every single aircraft in the world, airline skins/liveries, fictional/realistic scenery, sound packs, high res texture packs, custom/more detailed cockpits, buildings, missions, flight plans, etc. Most of these were free too. This was back in the 56k era. Think of it like Gary's mod but with aircraft and an open 1:1 world experience. There were also true mods that cost anywhere from $1~$150 each that took the modding to the next level. Fun memories.

Last edited:

UltraTaco

Gawd
One thing, for the love of biscuits I cam never understand. Why no cute male pilots?! You fly a tube liner and all seats are empty. RAPTURE?!

Whoever doesn't want them, let there be toggle on off for visible pilots/passengers.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm actually surprised they made this game honestly. The gaming crowd is much different than it use to be. I would assume a flight simulator is "boring" to 99% of the audience today. Microsoft tried to get into the "casual" crowd before and made a game called Microsoft Flight (notice missing the simulator word). It was a complete disaster and a cash-grab at best. It became unsupported & forgotten quickly.

Flight Simulator is more of an open sandbox game where you make your own adventures or challenges. You're not going to get cut scenes, explosions, quick-time events, romance options, RPG elements, etc. like you see in almost every game today. Some things I remember doing fondly was like island hopping in the Caribbean, landing a large aircraft on a small runway, trying to fly/land in horrible weather, flying low through dense cities and avoiding skyscrapers, landing on an aircraft carrier, flying where my house/town is, just learning how to control/master the larger planes, etc.

Another big thing was the mods. You could download practically every single aircraft in the world, airline skins/liveries, fictional/realistic scenery, sound packs, high res texture packs, custom/more detailed cockpits, buildings, missions, flight plans, etc. Most of these were free too. This was back in the 56k era. Think of it like Gary's mod but with aircraft and an open 1:1 world experience. There were also true mods that cost anywhere from $1~$150 each that took the modding to the next level. Fun memories.
Flight simulation gaming slipped away from the mainstream not because "gamers are just different now" but because we went 14 years without a single high-quality entertainment focused flight sim.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Flight simulation gaming slipped away from the mainstream not because "gamers are just different now" but because we went 14 years without a single high-quality entertainment focused flight sim.
This is part of it as well. Ace Combat even went downhill and aside from spin offs was MIA from 2007 to 2019. The flight game genre died, and the middle of the road flight sims that were complex but not fully detailed have disappeared, with one exception (Flaming Cliffs 3). Now days, it is pretty much Ace Combat 7 or DCS and P3D/FSX/Xplane. No in between.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
considering the average price of full airport sceneries in XP11 go for 20-30 dollars a piece 120 bucks for all those airports before even considering the planes you get is cheap. the autogen airports are still good though, you just don't get all the auto gate features and what not that come with the scenery airports. there will likely be 3rd party freeware stuff down the line though, it's the only way they'd be able to survive against XP11. because the reality is the vast majority of enthusiast in this market are the same people using bestbuy prebuilds that won't be able to play FS20 at the graphic settings that'll make the sim look any better than xp11 and the many freeware scenery addon's available to it.
I think for them to survive they need to be able to deliver a great experience for a lot of users and the auto gen stuff should be really solid compared to previous entries. I think I was hoping that more airports would have a few gates or options that you could get some of those features at to increase immersion and then give you the full airport as DLC. That way those looking to dip in can do so with a great experience similar to previous offerings in the series without needing to go full X Plane as a lot of people will likely be turned off by having to buy airports without really understanding what the auto tech will do.

If they could deliver partial airports in greater quantity and allow DLC for people to buy full ones they can hit the part time players and full time sim enthusiasts. Longer burn but a larger install base would likely be more willing to add DLC in areas they want vs having to buy the delux to get an airport they want up front. I'm sure they'll allow more selections at a higher price down the road.

I'm still in and looking forward to it a lot and going to enjoy the hell out of it.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
This is part of it as well. Ace Combat even went downhill and aside from spin offs was MIA from 2007 to 2019. The flight game genre died, and the middle of the road flight sims that were complex but not fully detailed have disappeared, with one exception (Flaming Cliffs 3). Now days, it is pretty much Ace Combat 7 or DCS and P3D/FSX/Xplane. No in between.
combat sims have never really been that popular.. you either get HAWX/AC7 arcade style fun for a couple hours and then never touch it again or you get full sim DCS/P3D spend more time pressing buttons then actually flying.. and then you have stuff like warthunder that try to walk that middle ground between arcade and sim and people just don't enjoy it because you need have a basic understanding of flight physics.

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
Europeans are getting a physical release, and it comes on 10 DVDs! The discs contain the 90GB of mandatory offline content for the game to save you some bandwidth when downloading the game and its updates. The game program, itself, still needs to be downloaded.

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/simulators/3039/microsoft-flight-simulator-standard

View attachment 261909

View attachment 261908
as cool as that kit looks, who has a disk drive? I mean I do but that's not the point...

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Europeans are getting a physical release, and it comes on 10 DVDs! The discs contain the 90GB of mandatory offline content for the game to save you some bandwidth when downloading the game and its updates. The game program, itself, still needs to be downloaded.
Crazy but understandable due to specific country legal reasons and access to poor internet or capped bandwidth.

I think this is a wake-up call though that you're "living in the past" if you choose to fumble around with 10 DVD's just to install a game which still requires additional internet downloads & connectivity anyway. Optical drives have been obsolete for almost a decade now. I think consoles only still have them to appease to 3rd world countries and to their Gamestop overlords via physical trade-in's which I'm fairly confident will be bankrupt after this holiday season anyway.

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness
Everybody does? But I have always used disk for hard drives and disc for optical drives.
Crazy but understandable due to specific country legal reasons and access to poor internet or capped bandwidth.

I think this is a wake-up call though that you're "living in the past" if you choose to fumble around with 10 DVD's just to install a game which still requires additional internet downloads & connectivity anyway. Optical drives have been obsolete for almost a decade now. I think consoles only still have them to appease to 3rd world countries and to their Gamestop overlords via physical trade-in's which I'm fairly confident will be bankrupt after this holiday season anyway.
I'm curious how much data the game will use per hour.