Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

review embargo has lifted...game is getting excellent reviews across the board...a few technical hiccups but overall sounds like people won't be disappointed

Last edited:
Built my dad a computer out of used and left over parts from forums, my spare parts and a few new ones. For 1080p I hope my he can get a mix of medium and high out of a 2600, 16gb ram and a 1660 evga SC.

Built my dad a computer out of used and left over parts from forums, my spare parts and a few new ones. For 1080p I hope my he can get a mix of medium and high out of a 2600, 16gb ram and a 1660 evga SC.

just to give you an idea i use a 2600x, 16GB ram and 1070, it'll be fine for him. but i would say if you upgrade the 1660 at any point upgrade to 32GB of ram as well. fs20's a memory hog.

can you crash your plane into another player?...not that I want to do it but am curious

not in the way you're hoping for.. ;)

What kind of multiplayer will there be? Can I group up with someone and just fly together to a destination and chill? Maybe even race them? basically can I pick who I fly with and can I see other players but not necessarily interact with them?

Ordered a joystick with a throttle module and looking forward to playing this. Been wanting to get back into flight sims. Played MS FS 98 back in the day and had some good times with it.

What kind of multiplayer will there be? Can I group up with someone and just fly together to a destination and chill? Maybe even race them? basically can I pick who I fly with and can I see other players but not necessarily interact with them?

Ordered a joystick with a throttle module and looking forward to playing this. Been wanting to get back into flight sims. Played MS FS 98 back in the day and had some good times with it.
This explained it pretty good for the preview build.

Steam finally allowed installing Flight Simulator 2020, downloaded about 2 sec and then indicated the Play button, selecting the play button I get an immediate error "missing executable". Does not seem like it downloaded anything as a note. Tried that two times with same result. See what happens later.

Edit: Checked Steam forum and one indicated remove, log out of steam and then back in and install. This time it actually downloaded for about 20 seconds and then the Play button came on. Once started it loads XBox Live, sign in etc. and started loading files, ~91gb.

Last edited:
Sucks windows 10 is required. Was holding off on redoing everything until Ryzen 4 came out and I could start completely fresh.

Got up to 9.2gb, content manager window suddenly closed, no warnings or errors indicated. Went back into Steam, relaunched, it opens a fullscreen window with loading bar, goes up to a certain point and just hangs. Content manager never reopens to download rest of the files. No errors, warnings just the stupid music and the background. Went to a different computer trying how. If one has an issue on the download and it stops it can't start from the place it left off?

Been flying around for awhile, pretty amazing Flight Simulator. Flew over my house, then paused, then used Drone to fly around my neighborhood. Pretty cool. Modified Ultra settings, getting in the low 40's at 1440P, with high preset setting in the high 50's. Game was taking up to 20gb of memory on system. 5700XT system below.

Trying to do the training modules but it seems to just sit there after I select the chapter.
20200818_082647.jpg

Edit: had to quit the game and restart

Last edited:
I saw some of the crash animations and they're pretty terrible...I guess the game is all about flying and not crashing into other players planes :D
Like it should be. I could care less about crash animations. It's not a combat sim.

I'm confused, I bought it on steam. Signed in to M$, it went to an options menu where I chose some settings, to there a loading screen thats been stuck for like 20 mins..

I found turning off the photogrammetry setting (in the "data" settings) results in more pleasing visuals for the Bing photogrammetry areas. Even with scenery LOD maxed, the weird picasso-style structures and vegetation just bugged me too much

I really hope nvidia works with microsoft on this to add DLSS support.

they should make it real-time...so flying from NY to San Diego should take players 5.5 hours

they should make it real-time...so flying from NY to San Diego should take players 5.5 hours

You must be new to flight simulators. Flight simulators have been one-to-one distance, real-time since... well pretty much forever. People can and do fly the real-world long haul flights. Sometimes people like to get up to cruising altitude then go to bed and finish the flight in the morning. Personally I prefer 45 minute to 1.5 hour flights.

You must be new to flight simulators. Flight simulators have been one-to-one distance, real-time since... well pretty much forever. People can and do fly the real-world long haul flights. Sometimes people like to get up to cruising altitude then go to bed and finish the flight in the morning. Personally I prefer 45 minute to 1.5 hour flights.

yes I've never been into sims...real time seems kind of boring though...for long international flights what's the point?...if players are just going to bed and then waking up in the morning what's the point?...auto pilot is doing its thing...would be cool to fly into turbulence or bad weather to break up the monotony

Can anyone let me know how much it costs to upgrade from standard to the premium deluxe? I was just planning to start with the standard version for now and upgrade later when my flight stick arrives but I'm seeing topics on reddit that its actually a lot more to just upgrade.

Back