Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Microsoft Flight Simulator- X019 - Gameplay Trailer

This is fantastic......Just looking at the terrain, that's is mind blowing......and kinda scary oh well they can replicate that soon we won't be able to tell whats real or rendered.

Reactions: noko
like this
I wonder if later down the line the can repurpose this tech and use it in american/euro truck simulator lol

I wonder if later down the line the can repurpose this tech and use it in american/euro truck simulator lol

It's nowhere near to the resolution that would be required for that. However they could probably use the OSM data for road layout and some basic building generation (but none of it would look as good as those games as they stand right now.)

This is fantastic......Just looking at the terrain, that's is mind blowing......and kinda scary oh well they can replicate that soon we won't be able to tell whats real or rendered.

I'm curious how things will look up close.
I love the way they are getting these textures and buildings generated but I'm curious how they plan to upscale the resolutions to make high resolution systems and when we get up close and pause to look at things.

Maybe they posted something already but other than a fly by we have not gotten a close stable look at things yet beyond their models which look really good. FSX looked good when high up but up close it was ehhhh even when it was new.

It's photogrammetry. You can generate pretty accurate models without any manual work, but it won't look good up close. But it is perfect for flight sims, where you are not supposed to be close to buildings.

All you need is high resolution aerial photos and a powerful PC to generate the mesh.

I love the way they are getting these textures and buildings generated but I'm curious how they plan to upscale the resolutions to make high resolution systems and when we get up close and pause to look at things.

Maybe they posted something already but other than a fly by we have not gotten a close stable look at things yet beyond their models which look really good. FSX looked good when high up but up close it was ehhhh even when it was new.
Well even when they are doing low flybys in the video it looked pretty dang good. It will be interesting to see non-the-less.

Well remember we're talking about satellite data here. It's pretty advanced these days, especially combined with AI processing, but don't expect miracles. It's not going to look like Euro Truck Simulator or something if you park your plane on a freeway.

Well remember we're talking about satellite data here. It's pretty advanced these days, especially combined with AI processing, but don't expect miracles. It's not going to look like Euro Truck Simulator or something if you park your plane on a freeway.

Lol yeah. The tech has come a long way since FSX and up scaling and other methods can pull in more information. I'm just curious how they will pull it off and how well it will "buffer" in.

Any people or Ground/air traffic? Didn't think I saw any in the video but then I just skimmed some parts of it. :) Would make the world more alive imho.

Any people or Ground/air traffic? Didn't think I saw any in the video but then I just skimmed some parts of it. :) Would make the world more alive imho.

No people that I've seen, but it definitely has vehicle traffic.

Seems like a game that would use a lot of RAM and be hard on the CPU. I really don't need over 16GB of RAM, but maybe some high end games like this may start using it. May consider upgrading the motherboard as well, but might just go for another annual Ryzen upgrade.

they targeted LCC 16GB of RAM, and budget GPUs for the first tech alpha.

I did a quick test this morning and the days of games not using cores are also over. Its using all 10 of my cores and hitting my 1080ti pretty hard.
post some screen shots with osd showing ram, cpu and gpu usage please:) Sounds like this interesting benchmarks comparing new hardware

1580779168206.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator will contain every airport on earth

the level of detail in this is insane...

The developers have also made sure to included animated windsocks and accurate taxiway markings in Flight Simulator...Ground lighting generation has also been improved, giving a more realistic 3D effect to both airports and the surrounding infrastructure...even more impressive is that the vast majority of the airports have been manually edited by Asobo’s designers...

Feature Discovery Series Episode 7: Multiplayer

Microsoft Flight Simulator will draw from air traffic data to simulate the skies exactly as they are, in real time and if the game goes offline, AI will take the reins temporarily...meanwhile, if players choose to access the Live Players mode, weather will be simulated according to real world data - so in other words, if you're flying through storms over, say, Paris, that'll be because there are actually storms over Paris...

Last edited:
Feature Discovery Series Episode 7: Multiplayer

Microsoft Flight Simulator will draw from air traffic data to simulate the skies exactly as they are, in real time and if the game goes offline, AI will take the reins temporarily...meanwhile, if players choose to access the Live Players mode, weather will be simulated according to real world data - so in other words, if you're flying through storms over, say, Paris, that'll be because there are actually storms over Paris...

That is impressive. I hope they bring this technology to driving sims in the future. I would love to drive around real world locations and experience the kind of traffic that goes with them. I know that they can't replicate traffic patterns precisely like they can with aircraft, but I'm sure with machine learning they could approximate it well.

Hmm using only 55% of a 10-core isn't really that impressive. I hope they can utilize CPU better. None-the-less, sooo excited for this sim.
the screen cap is at a low point. look at the little graph in the upper left, looks like peak is 75-80%

That is impressive. I hope they bring this technology to driving sims in the future. I would love to drive around real world locations and experience the kind of traffic that goes with them. I know that they can't replicate traffic patterns precisely like they can with aircraft, but I'm sure with machine learning they could approximate it well.

They can use real-world air traffic data because airplanes use transponders that send out their information like altitude and speed, plus radar reports. We will never see live car traffic, other than something like ETS2 or ATS could probably implement a general traffic congestion feature based on some of the available live traffic volume data out there.

They can use real-world air traffic data because airplanes use transponders that send out their information like altitude and speed, plus radar reports. We will never see live car traffic, other than something like ETS2 or ATS could probably implement a general traffic congestion feature based on some of the available live traffic volume data out there.
Which is why I said they can't replicate precisely, but DOTs around the world have traffic density data among other research patterns which they could plug into an algorithm to reproduce traffic conditions throughout the day.

Some of you are seeing upwards of 29GB system RAM usage? I'm wondering if I should upgrade from 32GB to 64GB.

Has anyone seen more than 8 CPU cores being used more than 50% each at the same time?

Any word on SLI use/support? Is the game DX12 only or is there a Vulkan option?

Microsoft Flight Simulator system requirements revealed

Minimum specs
CPU:
Ryzen 3 1200 / Intel i5-4460
GPU: Radeon RX 570 / NVIDIA GTX 770
VRAM: 2GB
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 150GB
Bandwidth: 5 Mbps

Recommended specs
CPU:
Ryzen 5 1500X / Intel i5-8400