Love your socket 754?

Just an update - I got my Turion ML-40 to run in my Asus K8V mobo at work when it would not run very well at all in two of my nf4 mobo's (ECs & Abit NV8). The K8V has a VIA K8T800 chipset.
I have it at 230x11 @ 1.575v. It won't go any faster - even with up to 1.7v. It could be a ram limitation as I can only give my ram 2.8v or it could be a limitation of the K8T800 chipset. At any rate, I was hoping for more but I'll take what I can get.
More wierdness:
I brought my 3700+ Clawhammer home to try in my Abit NV8 mobo. Imagine my surprise when I booted the computer up with the 3700+ Claw inside and it did nothing! It would not even boot into bios - and I have the latest one (v14). I shut it down, took it apart and tried again - still no post. I must be in the Twilight Zone or something because the ABIT NV8 is supposed to suppoort C0 and CG (the 3700+ is CG) stepping A64's. Go figure.

That is bizzaro world Bigmac, My kv8 would not boot with the my mobile athlon 4000 but it runs my 3700 claw.. Can you set the bios to auto for the clocks and stuff ect? That is just weird. I'm almost certain that board supports 3700 claws.

It wouldn't even boot into the bios with the 3700+ Clawhammer in it. I'm going to try it in my ECS mobo system. Its supposed to work with that mobo.

Two years later, I have my AMD64 overclock to 2.2GHz with CnQ on too! The newer bioses for this mobo have a bug: DDR400 runs at 333, not 400. Will I notice this...ever?

I think that AMD has to bring back the 754, because this thread is getting pretty long and shows how many users still like it even today..

The more, the merrier. See page 1, post 1 on details for joining - and welcome aboard!
And BTW - socket 754 isn't dead just yet. they are still making the Turions for skt 754.

The more, the merrier. See page 1, post 1 on details for joining - and welcome aboard!
And BTW - socket 754 isn't dead just yet. they are still making the Turions for skt 754.

Turion X2 has pretty much replaced that though and that is all Socket S1/DDR2.

What are you saying - that you can buy a turion cpu for a desktop?

yes you can, but the newer dual core ones as robberbaron said are different socket and memory standard, the older turion are s754 and can work in some motherboards

actually look a few post up and you can see bigmackattack's progress on that subject

...The K8V has a VIA K8T800 chipset.
I have it at 230x11 @ 1.575v. It won't go any faster...
Do you mean KV8? If so, is it the non-Pro model? Your problem may be the same as that which I experience with my Abit KV8 non-Pro. Namely, the darn thing won't overclock worth carp unless I set the HTT to 2x. HTT 3x seems to not work above approx 230 MHz bus. I think it's some sort of BIOS bug and have never been able to find a BIOS-modder that was willing to take a look at it.

Once I set HTT to 2x I can get to 263 MHz bus stable. Problem is, SATA/AGP bus isn't locked, so SATA becomes useless (therefore I stick with PATA), and some older AGP cards don't work with bus OC'd that high. I also have el-cheapo RAM, so I'm forced to set the RAM settings to 266 MHz.

kirbyjr is correct. I have the plain old Asus K8V. I may take your advice on the 2X HTT bus and give that a try though. Like you, I have no AGP lock and I use Maxtor ATA100 IDE hard drives (2 of them) along with a VisionTek X800Pro AGP video card. Its a very nice overclocker - going to 570 mhz max on both core and memory.
Thanks again for the HTT tip.

I still have my old 754 tforce (geforce) biostar motherboard as a backup but no cpu.

Why aren't 90nm 754 cpu's like $10 yet? They are still $30 or so... hmm.

I've seen them for $19.95 but then they want $14 or so for shipping. What a ripoff. doesn't cost but about $3.50 at the most to ship one via U.S. Mail.

I've seen them for $19.95 but then they want $14 or so for shipping. What a ripoff. doesn't cost but about $3.50 at the most to ship one via U.S. Mail.

Well ewiz (slow but reliable) has a sempron 3000 or 3100 for $20 with $9 priority mail but I'm still waiting for half that total cost before I buy. I sure would like a cpu for my backup board though, you never know, summer lightning and all that...

Here's someone with a shedload of 130nm 1600mhz 754's for ~$18 shipped but they run too hot for my liking. I'd pay $18 shipping for a new 90nm 64bit in a heartbeat though.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had an accident last night folks, my screwdriver slipped whilst trying to remove the HSF from my KV8-Pro.

It ripped off a few important looking parts and created a nice score mark, needless to say, board don't boot no more!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement 754 board? AGP, SATA & DDR are about the only requirements.

I had an accident last night folks, my screwdriver slipped whilst trying to remove the HSF from my KV8-Pro.

It ripped off a few important looking parts and created a nice score mark, needless to say, board don't boot no more!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement 754 board? AGP, SATA & DDR are about the only requirements.

DFI was a classic for overclocking. You can't go wrong with ASUS. I have a k8n-e deluxe. Best bet is to go to ebay, although the trading post here and on other hw forum sites will have much, much better deals.

Still using a 754 3200+ with 1.5gb DDR400, PCI-E 8500gt, 160GB WD HDD, old Gateway Case. Used as a second system next to my main for Thottbot, downloads, and IMs.

Hey you 754 guys. I have an Asus barebones machine that came with a Sempron 3100+, looking to upgrade to a full on athlon 64, or something thats marginally better than the 3100.

Will the Turion stuff work in its place?

I tried a Turion ML-40 in 3 of my 754 systems. 2 of them with nForce4 mobo's (ECS and ABIT) would run it but only on the 9x divider (the ML-40 has an 11x divider) and topped out at just over 2 ghz. The other system has an Asus K8V (K8T800 chipset) with AGP graphics. All the mobos have the latest bioses installed. The Asus mobo bios reported a cpu error upon startup but if I hit enter it would go on past the error and boot up normally. The best oc I got from this setup was 2.54 ghz.
If you decide to go the Turion route I'd suggest buying from StarMicro (www.starmicro.net) as they have the best prices by far. I'd also suggest a hsf designed for just such an application (Turion in a desktop mobo) - the Thermaltake CL-P0280. Its fairly inexpensive (I looked around and got one for $15 plus shipping) and quiet and works well enough. I know of a guy who has taken an ML-34 to 2.54 ghz as well in his setup which uses an ABIT NF8 mobo. My ABIT NV8 and ECS nForce4 mobo's are suposed to be able to run the Turions and they do - just not very well. An nForce3 250 chipset mobo might be a better option with the Turions. I'm not sure about Tforce chipset mobos (6100, etc) but they might be able to support the Turions as well.
My opinion is the Venice desktop cpu's are the better bargain (get them on ebay) for the money since they oc to a much higher speed and cost about the same as an ML-37. The ML-40 is too expensive.

Hey all! 210 pages?!? That's crazy! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one rockin' a 754 setup still. Even so, I do pretty well for myself...I can play Oblivion nearly maxed out, fold decently, and do everything else I need to. Really, now, who needs anything more than a phat 754 rig?

I've got 3 skt 754 systems - (2) 3400+ Venices (at 2.6 & 2.64 for now) and a 3700+ Clawhammer at 2.6. The Venices are in nForce4 mobos with PCI-e Sapphire X800Pro cards and the Claw has a VisionTek X800Pro AGP 8X card. The Venices can go to 2.7+ when I want to crank them up but there isn't much need atm. Plus I have the ML-40 that I can throw into the Clawhammer setup and run at 2.58. They can all handle what I need/want to do for now.
BTW welcome to the board.

I have a 3700 Clawhammer. its been purring along for some 3 years now sometimes weeks with out a reboot :D

I have one of those as well. I've been tempted to sell it - what with the prices some are getting on ebay, but I'd have to replace it with something else. And with the mobo its in it wouldn't be worth it so I just keep on using it.

My kids can play BF2 onlne maxed out on our three 754 rigs (1600x1200 on one). When BF4 or something comes out... we'll see then.

Wow Bigmac!! Too bad you can't do dual core still on 754... maybe they will have like a socket mod... like they had with the pentium 3 sockets to allow tualatin? LoL...

LOL - yeah I'm a skt 754 freak. It does what I need done. I've ordered another 3400+ Venice from Starmicro.net for $48. They were $99, then $75 but when I saw $48 I decided to jump on it. I'm going to sell my 3700+ Clawhammer and Turion ML-40 with CL-P0280 Thermaltake hsf on ebay as soon as I get the 3400+ Venice up and running.

hi guys
im a fellow socket 754 fan
i just want to tell you my experience..
well i have an amd athlon 64 3400 venice cpu, a msi k8n neo platinum mobo , 2 x 512 ddr400 ram and a radeon AIW x800xt.
Since the first day i receive it, (like 6 months ago) i was trying to overclok the machine as far as i can, i read this forum everyday just for tips on how overclock it, and results that my top was 2.76 but a little bit unstable using just one 512 ram stick. my best stable configuration was 2.65 , i was kinda frustated because i read a lot of better overclocks on the venice.
Then i just started to play games and use it regular for homeworks and internet too. I just notice that my clock always were getting delayed, it was getting worst and at the same time an atidvag dll infinite loop bug started to appear mor frequently.
I just ignored it until the damn ati bug didnt let me play a game for more than 30 - 50 min.
I tried evrything , and nothing, i thought it was the mobo or the gpu, i was thinking on selling both and buy a new 3850 agp and a dfi mobo (i love socket 754).
But everything changed today, i just had an old p4 socket 478 mobo around i i just try to switch the clock baterry between the 2 mobos, and voila!!
My atidvag infinite loop bug dissapeared and my system became more stable than ever.
Now i can overclock it til 2,75 and the gpu to 540/580 (stock 500/500) and my games run 5 - 10 frames faster , im just very happy , that was a realy wierd stuff, so i just wanted to share it with you guys. I just played for 5 or 6 hours and nothing.
Also i have to say that i didnt go far than 2,75 because i just didnt play all day long for now and i dont need it, i will test it to the max on the next vacations i have. I think i can get 2.8
Well that was all
Cheers

I'm going to sell my 3700+ Clawhammer and Turion ML-40 with CL-P0280 Thermaltake hsf on ebay as soon as I get the 3400+ Venice up and running.

Might be interested in the ML-40 if the price is right.

frusciant - good to hear you've gotten everything all straightened out. Mine oc's very well but my mobo is fickle so for daily use I have it set at 223x12 (2676). I can go to 250x11 easily though.

fluke420 - I bought the ML-40 for $65 and the fan cost another $15. All I want is what I have in it. If you want to put it into a desktop you'll need this hsf as its specifically made for that application. If you don't want/need the hsf I'll sell the ML-40 without it. PM me if you want it. Thanks for the interest.

Nope, not a fan here. I hate the thing. Dual Cores/Quad FTW. I went back to a 754 after i sold my e8400 and god it was a pain.

I run my fileserver off a 754 Sempron 3100@1ghz. Works great, and runs nice and cool at that speed.

My secondary computer runs a Sempron 2800+ 1.6GHz overclocked to 2.5GHz. Runs CS:S and WC3:FT nicely :)

I DOUBT that your Semptron plays CSS nicely :S :S :S

I have an X2 4200+ @ 2.6Ghz with 1 gig of ram , CSS plays alright but could do a lot better,especially if i compare it to an e8400 system

Back