LG 48CX

Just bought LG C1. When gaming on HDR how would you setup Tone Mapping? On, Off or HGIG? Is it game relevant?
Should I enable HDR first on Windows then turn on HGIG and then launch game and setup brightness in game?
I read somewhere that HGIG should be enabled before launching game.

Just bought LG C1. When gaming on HDR how would you setup Tone Mapping? On, Off or HGIG? Is it game relevant?
Should I enable HDR first on Windows then turn on HGIG and then launch game and setup brightness in game?

It's game dependant and personal preference. You can still stick to HGiG even if the game isn't HGiG compliant like some ps5 games. Not sure why there seems to be a lot of hate against DTM On, if it was so useless/bad then LG would've just removed that option but I've found it to look the best sometimes.

DTM is the only way to get Horizen to not blow out highlights like the sky. No amount of adjusting HDR sliders/brightness in game corrects it without completely destroying the image.

It has it's uses in specific badly implemented HDR titles but I'm way too lazy to dig into the menu and change it on a per game basis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

(there are more settings on the link above than just this table below)

7t3hf18lw8z81.png

Guides recommend setting the monitor in windows up using CRU app to force the screen to ~ 800 nit peak in windows/nvidia drivers, otherwise windows defaults to a bad curve of like 4000nit on some content.

The TV will tone map content compressing the top end somewhat. E.g. HDR 10 (1000) down to 800 nit curve. Dynamic Tone Mapping is different. DTM is like using dynamic color or torch mode sort-of. It guesses the settings dynamically which is inaccurate. The problem with it is that it will over-saturate some of the range causing more of the colors (and thus more details in color) on the top end to be compressed and lost than a regular tone map curve. So you'll lose detail in things like the sky or some details in textures. The same thing happens without using CRU on some content.

Better games allow you to change the game's Peak HDR brightness, regular HDR scene brightness, and HDR saturation. Some have a white point heading instead of scene brightness. Elden ring for example has HDR Peak Brightness, scene brightness, and HDR saturation settings and it works great. Nioh2, jedi: fallen order, fenyx: immortals rising, and asassin's creed odyssey all have good HDR implementations too. I didn't use DTM for any of those games (or CRU for that matter).

I'd use hgig on everything possible HDR wise unless it looks like crap due to a dev dropping the ball on HDR (though CRU edit to 800nit and using HGIG could potentially make some games lacking full HDR control sliders look better if their implementation was bad because of the wrong curve in windows). On SDR content that isn't Auto-HDR capable, I turn the color slider up a little in the LG's OSD for the regular SDR game named setting because it's dull by default. That and I use nvidia freestyle or reshade on SDR games to tweak it a lot further (contrast, black depth, white point, saturation, etc). I prioritize HDR games now though so don't play many SDR ones.

Last edited:
I guess editing peak luminance with cru only works on Windows 11? I am still on Windows 10.
I need to update my motherboard, cpu and mem before going to 11. Unless I force install it.
Strange thing about this C1. It is manufactured March this year. I would have thought they were emptying last years models. Is there any chance of having newer panel?

I guess editing peak luminance with cru only works on Windows 11? I am still on Windows 10.
I need to update my motherboard, cpu and mem before going to 11. Unless I force install it.
Strange thing about this C1. It is manufactured March this year. I would have thought they were emptying last years models. Is there any chance of having newer panel?
When my 2017 OLED required panel replacement in 2019, it got replaced with the 2019 panel, which looked much different from the original one. It was sharper and the overall image displayed on the new panel was "cleaner". It showed image retention much faster though.

By box letters I think it is WBE panel.
I would think if both WBC and WBE are limited to same brightness then WBE would have longer lifespan.

Last edited:
I purchased one and loved it! I unfortunately had to return due to my desk size.. I had to sit too far back to view it comfortably.

My machines are all windows 11 but as far as I know CRU worked in window 10.

It's supposed to be edited like this:

CRU HDR tone map for HGiG. [CX/C1/C2] 128 or [G2] 138.

jxvxqs0rc7n81.png

To end up like this in the driver reports:

Windows 11 HDR tone map confirmation. Run dxdiag.exe & Save All Information... or open DisplayHDR Test app.

0r0lxzddxzx71.png

=========================================================================

The full guide also recommends doing the following steps and includes screenshots but you can get the screenshots off the entire guide here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

1: Home Dashboard PC mode

2: Get CRUedit off of ToastyX's thread in the monitortests.com forum or Microsoft Store apps

3: CRU HDR tone map for HGiG. [CX/C1/C2] 128 or [G2] 138. <the first image I posted above in this reply>

4: Windows 11 HDR tone map confirmation. Run dxdiag.exe & Save All Information... or open DisplayHDR Test app. <the second set of images I posted above in this reply>

5: CRU delete all 4096x2160

6: [CX] CRU enable 48 Gbps FRL

7: NVCP ultrawide 3840x1620 120 Hz

8: NVCP Summary

9: (Optional) NPI GSYNC Fullscreen and Windowed

10: nVidia/AMD latency recommendation

11: Color Control

12: LGTV Companion

13: (Optional) MacType

Last edited:
6: [CX] CRU enable 48 Gbps FRL
What's the purpose of this?

Also I'd add that 3200x1800 can be a useful custom resolution if DLSS/FSR/game resolution scale slider is not available and you need more performance. Before the 1.04 patch I used this in Elden Ring to get a more stable framerate since the graphics settings do almost nothing.

What's the purpose of this?

Also I'd add that 3200x1800 can be a useful custom resolution if DLSS/FSR/game resolution scale slider is not available and you need more performance. Before the 1.04 patch I used this in Elden Ring to get a more stable framerate since the graphics settings do almost nothing.
You could send 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/12bpc to display which requires 48 Gbps. 40 Gbps limit is 10bpc. Not sure if there are benefits since LG CX/C1 would still show 10 bit image. There is discussion on reddit with this hack and setting BT2020 mode on Lg colors would be better. There is also a comment that this could cause frame skipping.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/kdj5f5/i_managed_to_get_48gbps_on_lg_cx/

You could send 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/12bpc to display which requires 48 Gbps. 40 Gbps limit is 10bpc. Not sure if there are benefits since LG CX/C1 would still show 10 bit image. There is discussion on reddit with this hack and setting BT2020 mode on Lg colors would be better. There is also a comment that this could cause frame skipping.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/kdj5f5/i_managed_to_get_48gbps_on_lg_cx/
Meh, not worth it IMO when the panel is 10-bit. I have put my C9 and CX head to head and just can't tell any real difference with C9 at 12-bit.

Yeah I wasn't saying that was necessary, I just copied the whole list of modifications listed in the reddit link I provided. The HDR luminance to 800 nit with cru edit was the big one that might help poor HDR implementation games in windows where you can't manually set the in game HDR settings to a max HDR brightness of 800.

I saw a Samsung S95B with QD-OLED in Best Buy today, and I almost bought the 65" version of it... almost.

I have 2 major issues with it.

1. Colors are WAYYYYYYYY oversaturated, to the point that it hurts my eyes. I know Samsung loves their vivid pictures, but dear god, that's just too much.
2. Post Purchase Support. I'm still waiting for the eARC update for my Samsung Q90R. It's never going to happen, even though Samsung promised it. That makes me wonder how much support we will get from the S95B.

I know that LG's WRGB OLED tech is not as good, but at the moment, I'm far more interested in the LG C2 or G2 simply because of the post purchase support I've gotten on my LG CX through constant updates and bug fixes. It's even gotten some features added to it that were never advertised (black level balancer). This CX, even 2 years and 11,000 hours of screen on time later, is absolutely phenomenal. It truly makes me want to continue to support LG as a company.

Last edited:
Yeah, madpistol, I'm also leery about Samsung stuff due to the awful after purchase support I've heard about. Add to that the cheating on test slides/over saturation in real content, and it's a hard no for me.

I saw a Samsung S95B with QD-OLED in Best Buy today, and I almost bought the 65" version of it... almost.

I have 2 major issues with it.

1. Colors are WAYYYYYYYY oversaturated, to the point that it hurts my eyes. I know Samsung loves their vivid pictures, but dear god, that's just too much.
2. Post Purchase Support. I'm still waiting for the eARC update for my Samsung Q90R. It's never going to happen, even though Samsung promised it. That makes me wonder how much support we will get from the S95B.

I know that LG's WRGB OLED tech is not as good, but at the moment, I'm far more interested in the LG C2 or G2 simply because of the post purchase support I've gotten on my LG CX through constant updates and bug fixes. It's even gotten some features added to it that were never advertised (black level balancer). This CX, even 2 years and 11,000 hours of screen on time later, is absolutely phenomenal. It truly makes me want to continue to support LG as a company.
Kind of in the same boat personally; LGs support has been solid thus far (B6P owner), and while the tech in the S95B may be superior, Samsungs oversaturation and poor support history make me want to stick with LG.

Waiting on Sony at this point; hoping we get something soon, as I'm looking to upgrade early next month.

Just pulled the trigger on a 42C2. It's going to replace an old 32" Sharp AQUOS 1080p TV in the bedroom. Way overkill, but I just can't watch dark scenes in shows and movies on that thing anymore. There is next to no detail and it makes it extremely difficult to tell what's going on sometimes. Plus, the "blacks" are terrible in terms of depth and contrast.

If I ever want to go smaller than my 48CX, I'll reclaim the C2 for PC use but TBH I'm really enjoying the 48" size.

They've broken it again?!
So I've got some news here. After giving the Nvidia team some driver feedback back in Feb. I've followed up with them this week as I keep seeing in the release notes with each new driver that it is a known issue with this adapter. I've been told that the one-off fix for this adapter has been approved and should make it into the driver that will be released at the end of June.

I'm glad we can finally get 120hz back soon. Hopefully it doesn't break again!
EDIT: Since I didn't quote the correct post, this is the more recent issue with the Club3d Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter (CAC-1085). It would only display 4k60hz instead of 4k120hz. Since I've upgraded to a 3090Ti I haven't been able to use an older driver to keep the 4k120hz going and have just dealt with 4k60hz for now.

I've recently noticed that my LG TV now has 8K support and resolution, I just tried it and it works. Not sure if a firmware update allowed this or either that AMD's drivers enabled such a thing.

Currently running 8K/120Hz /4:4:4 and so far it works. Can anybody else run 8K on their OLED screen?

I've recently noticed that my LG TV now has 8K support and resolution, I just tried it and it works. Not sure if a firmware update allowed this or either that AMD's drivers enabled such a thing.

Currently running 8K/120Hz /4:4:4 and so far it works. Can anybody else run 8K on their OLED screen?
Some LD OLED's (ZX series) do support real 8K resolution.
But you need big money to buy them.
There are no CX/C1/C2 models with 8K resolution.
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=tvlcd&xf=34_7680x4320~3952_OLED

You can run higher resolutions on screens which can get some minor fidelity increase. It's downsampling or "supersampling" in some games, almost like an anti-aliasing effect. Nowadays you are probably better off using a game that supports DLSS quality mode well enough as it would give you DLSS's AA and use AI upscaling of a lower resolution which ends up with a much higher frame rate for 4k 120hz.

You can't really get a higher resolution than the native resolution of your screen.
Running lower than native rez (4k on the 48cx or the 4k C2) can make the PQ look somewhat "muddy" though you can tweak settings to help a little.
Running higher than native resolution either in settings or using super sampling can result in a better picture due to the fill rate vs losses.

Other than that, your drivers/firmware probably now supports a 8k signal (like something from a 8k disc player for example) being downscaled to 4k by either your gpu or the TV's scaler.
You still can't get full 8k 4:4:4 120hz to your screen though b/c it's a bandwidth limitation. (I think the LG OLED's since after the C9 are all 40gbs 10bit instead of 48gbs 12bit of bandwidth too).

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdmi-2-1

misc-formatdataratetable-large.jpg

Sept 2019

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-dynamic-super-resolution-is-downsampling-made-easy/

Back in April, Dark Souls modder Durante revealed a new tool he'd written called GeDoSaTo , or Generic Downsampling Tool. Downsampling is like the ultimate brute force anti-aliasing solution--it involves running a game at a high resolution, like 1440p or 4K or even 8K--and then using an algorithm to rescale that image to your monitor's native, like 1080p. Downsampled games look amazingly sharp, but downsampling usually requires some tricky hacks, like adjusting monitor timings or modifying game files. GeDoSaTo made it possible to downsample games more easily than ever before, but it's still a mod tool, and all mod tools require trial and error and tinkering.

Well, Nvidia's been paying attention. One of the major features coming to Maxwell GPUs like the GTX 980 is called Dynamic Super Resolution—and it's just downsampling, but with official driver support instead of hacking. The favorite technique of hardcore PC screenshotters is coming to the masses.

A future GeForce Experience driver for Maxwell GPUs (it wasn't yet enabled when I tested the GTX 980 pre-launch) will include a customizable Dynamic Super Resolution option alongside other GFE basics like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. On a powerful enough card, GFE may even click on Dynamic Super Resolution when you press the optimize button.
At release, DSR will be exclusive to Maxwell, but Nvidia's director of technical marketing Tom Petersen said at Nvidia Editor's Day that a rollout to older cards was "very likely." Petersen showed off DSR on stage at Editor's Day using Dark Souls 2 as an example. He demoed the visible scintillation effect that happens when panning the camera around a field of grass. At 1080p, the sample resolution of the screen is too low to capture entire blades of grass, so some parts of the texture slip through the pixel grid and aren't sampled. That leads to a shimmery effect. When the game is running at 4K with DSR, though, the higher resolution sample grid leads to more grass pixels being sampled, which creates a more solid image.

. . . . . . .

DLSS

https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...ed-to-know-about-nvidias-rtx-dlss-technology/

DLSS stands for deep learning super sampling. The “super sampling” bit refers to an anti-aliasing method that smooths the jagged edges that show up on rendered graphics. Over other forms of anti-aliasing, though, SSAA (supersampling anti-aliasing) works by rendering the image at a much higher resolution and using that data to fill in the gaps at the native resolution.
The “deep learning” part is Nvidia’s secret sauce. Using the power of machine learning, Nvidia can train A.I. models with high-resolution scans. Then, the anti-aliasing method can use the A.I. model to fill in the missing information. This is important, as SSAA usually requires you to render the higher resolution image locally. Nvidia does it offline, away from your computer, providing the benefits of supersampling without the computing overhead.

Last edited:
You still can't get full 8k 4:4:4 120hz to your screen though b/c it's a bandwidth limitation. (I think the LG OLED's since after the C9 are all 40gbs 10bit instead of 48gbs 12bit of bandwidth too).
According to Rtings, all four ports on the C2 support full bandwidth 48gbps.

Reactions: elvn
like this
According to Rtings, all four ports on the C2 support full bandwidth 48gbps.

Ah cool. Good to know thanks. I have a CX and a C1.

Still --
8k 60hz 4:4:4 10bit is 80.18 Gbps
8k 60hz 444 12 bit is 96.23 Gbps.

8k 100 - 120hz 4:2:2 (not 444) ~~> 128.3 Gbps

8k 4:4:4/RGB 10bit is prob like 160 Gbps idk

edit:

it should double according to that chart .. like

8k 60hz 4:2:2 (10 or 12 bit) @ 64.15 Gbps
Vs.
8k 120hz (10 or 12 bit) @ 128.3 Gbps

So,

8k 60hz 4:4:4/RGB -----> 80.19 Gbps (10bit) , 96.23 Gbps (12 bit)
should be 2x at
8k 120hz 444:/RGB --> 160.38 Gbps (10 bit) and 196.46 Gbps (12 bit)

Last edited:
I know the LG C9/CX/C1/C2 is no longer the big dog in town (QD-OLED has made sure of that), but Halo Infinite looks AMAZING in HDR on this display. The highlights pop even harder than they do on Doom Eternal.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I know the LG C9/CX/C1/C2 is no longer the big dog in town (QD-OLED has made sure of that), but Halo Infinite looks AMAZING in HDR on this display. The highlights pop even harder than they do on Doom Eternal.
It is the big dog imo. 4k, no curve (the QD oled is curved which means no go for productivity), and better pixel structure.

Still playing Elden Ring with the HDR peak brightness set to ~800 in the game's HDR controls, then adjusting the middle scene brightness and saturation sliders to my liking. Looks amazing - but especially in dim room viewing environment where it looks phenomenal to me. There are a lot of glowing spell effects, magic attacks/effects on weapons, highlights on creatures, daylight pouring through windows or across landscapes, as well as a lot of torches and fire sources etc. and in darker areas so the genre is great for HDR (and sbs contrast even down to inky blackness next to bright saturated sources like those mentioned). Even just regular daylight areas with stones and trees look great without being neon lights on blacks.
Glad you are enjoying your screen.
1f916.png

. . . . .

I agree with the people commenting on LG's support, firmware and feature updates, etc. I'm in no hurry to upgrade after blowing money on a CX and C1 so I'll see how it goes with QD-OLED and what LG comes up with in the next few years.

I agree with the people commenting on LG's support, firmware and feature updates, etc. I'm in no hurry to upgrade after blowing money on a CX and C1 so I'll see how it goes with QD-OLED and what LG comes up with in the next few years.
My CX had spoiled me big time. I currently have a 65” Samsung Q90R hooked up to my 7.1.2 surround sound in my living room, and I’m itching to replace it with an LG OLED something fierce. The Q90R has 480 local dimming zones, which is fantastic, but it does a horrible job in high contrast HDR situations; the gamma is washed out on some highlights because it’s trying to equalize the brightness between the dark and light area.

But the CX hits these highlights perfectly due to its per-pixel light control. The CX doesn’t get as bright, but it makes up for it with really contrasty (is that a word?) dark scenes. I use sources from Disney+ as a benchmark. Everything from Disney+ looks better on the CX… I mean, everything. I’m sold on LG OLED for the foreseeable future.

Well, my LG CX 48" has been turned into the living room TV now. Moved to a slightly smaller apartment and decided that it was a good enough size for the space we had allocated for speakers + TV. LG C9 65" is too big there and will be sold. My PC was mostly used for gaming so it will probably be in the living room in the future.

55" would probably be ideal but with barely any improvement in C1/C2 range it doesn't seem sensible to buy one atm just for the size. This lodging will be a temporary solution before buying a house in a few years when hopefully the situation with the world, cost of electricity/gas/materials/interest etc has stabilized a bit.

Going back to the Samsung CRG9 for desktop work. It does the job for me with enough desktop space at 5120x1440 (CX scaled to 3200x1800 was a bit too little) and looks good for SDR content. Might upgrade to a dual 4K 32" IPS/VA Mini-LED depending on how those shape up this year in pricing and quality. Otherwise will wait what the future brings.

PS. The CX 48" survived the move wrapped in some bubblewrap and stuffed into a barely-large enough cardboard box. I had to throw away the original box some years back. So these OLEDs are probably not that fragile.

So I've got some news here. After giving the Nvidia team some driver feedback back in Feb. I've followed up with them this week as I keep seeing in the release notes with each new driver that it is a known issue with this adapter. I've been told that the one-off fix for this adapter has been approved and should make it into the driver that will be released at the end of June.

I'm glad we can finally get 120hz back soon. Hopefully it doesn't break again!
EDIT: Since I didn't quote the correct post, this is the more recent issue with the Club3d Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter (CAC-1085). It would only display 4k60hz instead of 4k120hz. Since I've upgraded to a 3090Ti I haven't been able to use an older driver to keep the 4k120hz going and have just dealt with 4k60hz for now.
So the Nvidia driver team emailed me last night to tell me that this latest drop of drivers on June 15 (a day before my birthday, or rather, today!) should have the fix. They warned I may need to do a clean install so I'm going to run through DDU and give it a try. I'll report back!

So the Nvidia driver team emailed me last night to tell me that this latest drop of drivers on June 15 (a day before my birthday, or rather, today!) should have the fix. They warned I may need to do a clean install so I'm going to run through DDU and give it a try. I'll report back!
That’s good news. Happy birthday either way!

Thought I would post that my cx48pub that I bought oct. 1st 2020 just got the panel replaced through Geek Squad protection as I started getting dead pixels on the edges of the screen, was up to almost 25 of them scattered on the extreme edges. Panel was replaced with a C1 panel instead of the CX one. I still have until Oct. of 2025 for the warranty so my guess is the next issue will just be fulfilling the warranty with a gift card. Pretty amazing warranty process so far.

Thought I would post that my cx48pub that I bought oct. 1st 2020 just got the panel replaced through Geek Squad protection as I started getting dead pixels on the edges of the screen, was up to almost 25 of them scattered on the extreme edges. Panel was replaced with a C1 panel instead of the CX one. I still have until Oct. of 2025 for the warranty so my guess is the next issue will just be fulfilling the warranty with a gift card. Pretty amazing warranty process so far.
Thanks for sharing. My C9 isn’t covered , but my two 48 CX are. Glad to know you had a good experience.

New firmware dropped a few days ago: SW File Version 04.40.10

US support site change log borked as usual. Enter KR mothership support site..... same changes as recent (but not newest) C1/C2 firmwares:

MR7_2204(04.40.10)
1. The voice recognition performance has been improved.

2. Automatically switches to Game mode, when playing Dolby Vision games.

3. The usability of the Accessibility menu has been improved to help people with disabilities.

Last edited:
Back