HTC Vive Owners Thread

The controls in Elite are suuuuuper customizable. There are Xbox One and PS4 versions, so theoretically, you could play the entire game with a gamepad, although I'm not entirely sure how that works - the game has a metric whackton of commands. I personally have used a regular old joystick and keyboard, and that worked OK, although it's less than optimal in VR.

Now, I use a CH Products HOTAS setup for the flight controls and the Xbox One controller that came with my Rift for the menus, maps and the surface vehicle.

Elite supports modifier keys, so you can have layers of controls. So one button on a gamepad or joystick can have 2-3 functions. The best key binds put the most used functions on your controller or HOTAS, so you don't need to fumble for a keyboard that often. Elite also supports using tools like Voice Attack.

I couldn't find a real ETA for the Vive wireless adapter. The only thing I found was the Chinese store link to what I assume is a preorder page in Chinese currency. Anyone know when it's arriving in the states?

I couldn't find a real ETA for the Vive wireless adapter. The only thing I found was the Chinese store link to what I assume is a preorder page in Chinese currency. Anyone know when it's arriving in the states?

Q2 this year worldwide is what I've seen, for $250 base price.

Can't wait. Hoping they have a good high capacity battery available at launch

The Chinese TPCast manual indicates the battery pack is 20000 mAh and they expect it to last about 4 hours.

Imo, $250 is a bit much for the wireless adapter. Take that money and save it for a Gen 2 headset, that might have wireless built in.

No info on number of full charges and derating (loss of max power vs number of charges).
If its a lower end Lithium ion it could be much less than 300 charges.
Especially if they charge above nominal voltage to reduce battery size, weight and cost, that can hammer the life expectancy.
This also decreases safety so is worth knowing.

Q2 this year worldwide is what I've seen, for $250 base price.
Who all is going to pick this up? I can see more of a use for people that have a large room-scale area. Mine is 20x15ft so loosing the cords will be very welcome.

Who all is going to pick this up? I can see more of a use for people that have a large room-scale area. Mine is 20x15ft so loosing the cords will be very welcome.
Even in smaller room scale 12 x 12, hell just standing, the cords break immersion. Don't know if I will pay 250 for it though. The new headgear and this might be worth 250 to me, since it does not really look like gen 2 headsets will be out anytime this year.

I do think this will be built in to HMDs likely to come out in the next couple years.

Yeah I am not sure about getting it either. I was expecting $100-$120 but $250 is way more than I was expecting.

I think it's definitely worth it, especially since it's an upgrade for hardware that's already a year old (if don't count the pre). We're lucky that they are making this upgrade available to us without leaving us behind for a second gen headset.

I might grab it but I want to see some reviews first. If it looks like it's not too tightly tied to the current version of the VIVE so I could use it on a 2nd gen headset as well that would be a HUGE plus. If it comes with a better strap, maybe with Rift style earphones, that would help sell it too.

I might grab it but I want to see some reviews first. If it looks like it's not too tightly tied to the current version of the VIVE so I could use it on a 2nd gen headset as well that would be a HUGE plus. If it comes with a better strap, maybe with Rift style earphones, that would help sell it too.

If you are referring to the TPCast, there have been several reviews by people who have tried the prototype - supposed to be pretty good with no noticeable latency (see here). However, unless the next Vive is extremely similar to the current one (i.e. same bandwidth, meaning probably same resolution, etc.) it won't work with anything other than the current Vive.

As much as I would like to pick up it up I will likely hold out for gen2. I mostly do dev anyway and I'm already mildly frustrated with the controllers running out of juice by the end of the day. Not enthused about having another thing to charge, especially one that will likely stay on longer than the controllers and therefore deplete much quicker. Hopefully true gen2 will have built in wireless (plus more comfortable design and high res screens with eye tracked foveated rendering) and a convenient charging dock for headset + controllers... or maybe hot swap capability for the headset at least.

Now I know, I definitely have 0 interest in playing VR on hot summer days. Today is 90 by me and I don't even want to put it on. I just got a 1080Ti too but I just want to stay seated since I am still sweating doing that lol.

No AC maybe? I know if it was warm in my house I wouldn't want to play it, either. Even when it's cool my face still gets sweaty somewhat often.

Do you play outside or something???
In general my inside temps are hotter than the outside temps by a few degrees even with the windows open with fans running. With my AC installed, the temps aren't that much cooler due to the size of the space and the AC rating. I recently bought a "portable" AC and even if it's rated at 15k BTU I swear it only outputs at most 8k-9k BTU during the middle of the day when the sun is beating down on the roof.

I usually just keep my room below 70F with a window unit - I like it cold so does my computers.

Air conditioning a Vive room seems like a small expense compared to the Vive+PC...

I wouldn't want to play in heat. Hell ghetto it out and block off the room with sheets if there's no door. Make a thread about it after :). We love Ghetto threads.

I put a big pedestal fan in my Vive room. Of course I have to be standing in the right place to get hit by it, but it sure feels good in that spot. Renting now, but when I buy a house I am getting a really big ceiling fan for the Vive room.

I put a big pedestal fan in my Vive room. Of course I have to be standing in the right place to get hit by it, but it sure feels good in that spot. Renting now, but when I buy a house I am getting a really big ceiling fan for the Vive room.

Just make sure it's, you know, out of reach. ;)

Shit, my ceiling fan is right above my vr area. Luckily I've never hit it.

My only incident so far has been to reach too far for a table tennis shot and fall over the sofa

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Big update to H3VR yesterday...adds lever action weapons and a cool western themed area with puzzles and other fun minigames.

^^^^ Glad I ordered mine day one and paid for rush delivery. It's pretty much a "must have" addition if you own a Vive and use it regularly as the stock strap is pretty much crap in comparison and the built-in audio is really nice. Hopefully HTC is ramping up production to meet demand and these won't continue to remain hen's teeth!

Eh, I just zip tied an over the ear headset that was 2 oz (and $100 sennheiser).

My main comfort issue is the headset foam itself around your eyes. I know there are better options for a few bucks I just need to do research.

I would love to get the audio strap and new thin cable (or hold out for the TP Cast), but how much are we going to have to keep shelling out for these "upgrades" that probably should have come with the HMD in the first place (wireless not included).

I know it's new tech and you couldn't pay me to support Facebook, but it was rather annoying to see Oculus selling their system w/ Touch for $300-$400 on Prime Day while Vive is still $700-$800. I felt like they should have sold the replacement 3in1 cable to owners for no more than $20. Now there's an improved strap with integrated audio similar to Rift and that's another $100. Currently I'm using my HD 598SE's with a custom short cable, but the integrated system would be a welcome upgrade.

I would love to get the audio strap and new thin cable (or hold out for the TP Cast), but how much are we going to have to keep shelling out for these "upgrades" that probably should have come with the HMD in the first place (wireless not included).

I know it's new tech and you couldn't pay me to support Facebook, but it was rather annoying to see Oculus selling their system w/ Touch for $300-$400 on Prime Day while Vive is still $700-$800. I felt like they should have sold the replacement 3in1 cable to owners for no more than $20. Now there's an improved strap with integrated audio similar to Rift and that's another $100. Currently I'm using my HD 598SE's with a custom short cable, but the integrated system would be a welcome upgrade.

It would be nice to see the Vive get cheaper but I think it's mostly a market thing. The Vive seems to have done a lot better and while Oculus has a nice catalog of exclusives, I think the Vive has a broader development community for everything else. The Vive was selling a lot better at least until the Rift controllers came out and it looks like HTC doesn't want to eat many discounts as I assume that Facebook is propping up deals like the current one for the Rift.

I can agree about the nickel and diming issue with the Vive. So far I've spent $130 on new face covers and the deluxe head strap that have immensely improved the comfort of the HMD. But I did get the Vive for $700 with $100 Microsoft Store coupon during a Black Friday sale, so I'm $730 dollars into the Vive which at least still below the normal MSRP though obviously lot good deal more than the Rift right now. Hopefully for the Rift this will spur sales, I'm close to picking one up for down stairs.

I'm just hopping they aren't pulling an HD-DVD move with the Rift. Keep dropping the price just to move units then *poof* gone. We need as many players in the field as possible to keep this VR train moving forward.

I'm just hopping they aren't pulling an HD-DVD move with the rift. Keep dropping the price just to move units then *poof* gone.

While the price drop is great it's also the kind of thing that does start to raise questions like this, especially considering how HTC isn't doing this. But clearly Facebook has the money to burn while HTC doesn't.

Facebook must be propping up the Rift sale like you said. The discount the other day seemed way too much for new tech like this. I'd like to see HTC drop the retail price of the Vive to $700 with sales dropping it to $550 or $600. I think HTC should include the new audio strap and thin cable with all new purchases so new comers don't feel like they bought something cutting edge and high end that's already in need of upgrades (read: exactly how I feel).

I don't have a problem paying for the upgrades as I've had my Vive since Black Friday and have enjoyed it very much as is; I just think they should be a more reasonable cost. HTC doesn't have to lose money in the deal. I'd happily pay $20 for the cable and $50 for the audio strap. Double that just seems excessive.

In the end, we are the early adopters of a new tech and that does come with some financial... penalties if you will.

Back