HTC Vive Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Chaos Machine, Apr 6, 2016.

1. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

Ah hmm I wonder why. Hope they get it fixed.

2. AORUS

AORUS Limp Gawd

I just hope that this headset comes with a pretty girl:) to play PC games with;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. atarumoroboshi18

atarumoroboshi18 n00bie

Having recently got my HTC Vive, I can say that it is incredibly awesome! VR really is something that needs to be experienced before you can make judgements on it. Love me some Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades!

mord, Maddness and MavericK like this.
  4. atarumoroboshi18

atarumoroboshi18 n00bie

5. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Will have to try that out. Did he cut the foam on the bottom?

6. atarumoroboshi18

atarumoroboshi18 n00bie

Nope, it's just literally pulling the foam bits downward a little bit and pushing it back onto the velcro backing.

7. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Just won on EBay high bid for a Vive Pro, $480. Should have it next week. Hopefully that will work out. Comes with the new style breakout box. Now I have to figure how to hook it all up using the current setup.

Maddness, Dayaks and Shantarr like this.
  8. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

Any word if [H] is going to review the Vive wireless adapter ?

9. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

That’s an awesome price. Should integrate pretty easily... just make sure you turn the new breakout box on. That threw me for a bit and I started freaking out that it was broken.

10. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

Also just won a bid on eBay for an almost new Vive Pro but got the complete set-up for a little over $900. (About $50 shipping though) Considering I was thinking about spending about $300-400 more than that i'm pretty happy. :wideyed:

noko likes this.
  11. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Plug her in and was having frequent tracking issues, turned out to be a conflict with the Logitech wireless gaming mouse. After unplugging that it ran perfect.

The sound quality is crap, worst then I expected. Resolution increase was most welcome and more usable. No sound jack? Still overall a nice upgrade.

Comfort is a mixed bag, I like the original strap method better than the welding helmet type. The ear muffs are uncomfortable. Headset does feel lighter and moves better with you.

The image quality improvement makes these worth it, rather nice. Still I think $500 is pushing it and $799 is ridiculous

12. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah MSRP price was a bit steep. I can actually fully enjoy games with the Vive Pro. The regular Vive... the screen door effect bothered me. And rediscovering games was fun. Did not even realize you could shoot lasers to stop them in space pirate trainer.

I find the sound fine personally but I am not picky.

For comfort I have to move the part on the back of your head higher up than what I would have thought. It was fine once I figured it out. It’s really nice for quickly swapping players (which I do since I have multiple kids).

13. mord

mord Limp Gawd

No idea on that, but I have one and love it. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Here are my impressions.

1. Being unteathered is better than I expected. I mostly wanted to not deal with a tangled cord or having to be mindful of how many times I turn left verses right. It solves that. The great part us removing the immersion breaking interruptions of the cord. I can loose myself in the moment of the game more. Isn't that what VR is about?

2. For whatever reason the wireless adapter adds considerable cpu overhead. If you are on the low end of recommended CPUs for the vive, the wireless will make a big performance impact. I had a i5 3750 and it dis fine with wired VR, but some games took a real performance hit with wireless. Some were still fine, some noticeably slow or were pixilated occasionally, and some unplayable due to lowest settings and still dropping under 10fps. I upgraded to a ryzen 2700. That was a night and day difference. I can run all my games at highest settings with great framerates. I really cant tell a difference wired or wireless now.

3. White screen. Playing games the headset does on occasion drop to a white screen and the game pauses for 5 to 10 seconds because steamVR lost connection to the headset. It usually starts back up. This may be because I am still dialing in my new OC on cpu and SLI cards, so that might play into it. I get this maybe once every 6 to 8 hours of play. That's not what I consider frequent. Also note before I got the wireless, when playing energetic games I jerked the wired connection to the headset loose at least that often already Haha.

I did get the enhanced audio HMD strap for my Vive. That is great and provides a solid mount for the wireless unit.

Loose Nut likes this.
  14. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

You know they make a kit to hang up the cord? Works awesome. And is $20. :)

15. mord

mord Limp Gawd

Does it still twist up if you turn in to many circles?

16. mord

mord Limp Gawd

The room I'm in has track lights that hang from the ceiling also. Would be hard to hang the cord high enough but not be in the lights.

Moving the lights, not an option. The woman of the house likes them. That's not a fight I'm gonna pick ha.

17. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Not sure, never really tried running around in circles.

I love it though. I just hope that the other tracking methods are as good being wireless. The cord does not bother me at all.

18. mord

mord Limp Gawd

I dont think the tracking changed at all going wireless. I didnt notice any change at least.

19. Bravo25

Bravo25 [H]Lite

I had the hooks from Amazon... Finally got the wireless kit and it changes everything. It reminds of that day when I got my first SSD drive. You can't live without it after trying it.