HTC Vive Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Chaos Machine, Apr 6, 2016.

1. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

So the vive DAS is very comfortable and the headphones are as good as the hyperx cloud that it replaced. Really loving it. It's much easier to put it on and take it off now.

On a side note, just saw this today. It's an interesting idea but I wish it was built into the headset rather than sticking it ontop. Thoughts?

Their indiegogo page is here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Ryan7968 and Soochinator like this.
  2. Soochinator

Soochinator n00bie

That's really interesting. I don't use my Vive during the summer very often since I don't have A/C. Once my face starts to sweat, the lenses fog, it stops being fun and I just want to get the thing off my head.

Ok, I caved. $27 to be able to use my Vive whenever I want during summer is money well spent if it works.

Maddness, Ryan7968 and swiftwind like this.
  3. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

I signed up as well. I always sweat inside the headset...

Ryan7968 likes this.
  4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

New foam for the D.A.S did they just wash them (not fuzzy) or are they new (still fuzzy) ?

5. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

I'm not really sure. The padding is not fuzzy. I'll try to take a picture later.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

It feels to me like the foam used in the included face covers though the foam in the DAS is a bit darker in color, I wouldn't call it fuzzy at all. I kind of wondered when I heard about this problem why HTC didn't use the same foam in the strap from the face covers as the face covers obviously hold to sweat. After a few hours with the DAS now and some sweating the foam seems to be holding up fine.

7. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

TPcast... might be a nice birthday present to myself. $250 ontop of the $800 Vive, $3000 PC, pfff pennies.

Good point in Gen II Vive maybe having it. Anyone have any idea when that might happen?

8. pj-

pj- Limp Gawd

There may be gen 1.5 stuff soon-ish, but I don't think real gen 2 (eye tracking, 4k per eye, wireless) will be until late 2018 or early 2019

9. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Personally I don't think we'll see gen 2 till 2020. The next thing for Vive I think will be the Knuckles controller upgrade and then official wireless from HTC. The new headset with higher resolution and eye tracking will be much later. I think many VR companies are working at cost reduction for the current units first before they put out a new "high end" system. That way they can cover more bases like a $300-$500 low end model which would be like the current vive, then a $600-$800+ high end model that would have the new stuff. Right now what VR needs is more users and AAA like games that take advantage of the immersion. The high end system will require video cards that just don't exist yet IMHO. Yeah you can do scaling, but that really is just a temporary stop gap. I definitely wouldn't pay for a high end Gen 2 VR setup if my hardware couldn't render at native resolution. It's like buying a 1080p only capable PC but then splurging for a 4K monitor. Yeah it can work if you upscale but for me it wouldn't justify the price of buying the 4k monitor.

heatlesssun likes this.
  10. Dayaks

I might jump on that wireless thing then. Kids always get tied up in the wire and my son spins in circles for some reason.

Do realize I render at 2722x3024 per eye (I need to check this to be honest) with a 1080 right now and downscale.... we're not that far off. But yeah, we're not mainstream. That is 16MP which is 2x 4k screens in pixels.

I didn't even realize this but there's a super scaling slider under the developer tab for the Vive.

There's also room overview which has this nifty screen.

rs.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    TroubleMagnet likes this.
  11. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

So a friend said he bought a Chinese VR headset called Pimax(sp?) With 2k resolution per eye. He said that it has no screen door effect And works just fine. That to me is priceless. He said he got it because it was driving him nuts not being able to see very far in games and that this resolved it for him. I admit it would make sniping in onward a lot more fun.

I'd be surprised if HTC doesn't come out with something better soon with all these upgrades in the pipeline. No, I'm not buying anything other than HTC.

PS - I hope I'm wrong though because I'm tempted to buy the wireless attachment too.

12. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Pimax.

Seated only though.

13. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

Oh yeah I'm not saying go out and buy it. Hell no. Haha

Its just an indication of where technology is going.

14. Dayaks

Yeah 2k per an eye would be easy. Vive just needs a little boost... I'm rendering the same pixels as 4k per eye ffs so I don't think graphics cards are really the issue.

15. Ryan7968

Ryan7968 Limp Gawd

I jumped on this train too. Have to wait for September to get one though but it should be nice. I've also got the DAS on order, and using those built-in headphones in place of my full cans should keep the head much cooler by itself. With both of these things I hope sweat will be minimal.

16. Cardio

Cardio Limp Gawd

I have a friend in Shenzhen, China who is buying a TPCast for me today. It is costing 2000 yuan. That's around $300. The shipping cost is $35 for DHL, which is very fast. I have received packages from him in as little as 2 days! He already owns one and thinks it is excellent.
    I understand that reason it is not available in US, yet, is that the FCC approval has not been completed.
    TPcast's website now has installation manuals and other information in English.

I already have the deluxe audio strap and the 3-in 1 cable at about $135. So $470 altogether for add-ons. I see many people think this makes the system too much. But considering the cost of the software you will buy it almost seems fairly reasonable. It is pretty easy to get over a thousand $ in software - a lot of which is just wasted money, for me. The whole VR thing is expensive. But if you already have a suitable computer it's not a fortune, I guess. If I think of all the computer "upgrades" I have made, over the years, just to stay current or for a few meaningless fps, this seems pretty cheap. It is also new and completely different and I like it and think it is worth it. Is it perfect, no, and neither is my $$$$ computer, even now.

I was able to get a super cheap deal on a slightly used Rift ($215) with touch controllers , I had to buy an xtra tracking sensor for $60 - (Amazon). , recently. I have been using both my Vive and the Rift for about a month. My conclusion is that I prefer the Vive.
    I see many Vive and Rift forsale quite cheap on Craigs List. I found a Vive ($475) for a friend that was virtually un-used. People try the demo at MC and Fry's and buy one for their kids and find that their computer is completely lacking or just don't have the knowledge to hook the thing up. The Rift I bought came from a person who didn't know what HDMI or USB even meant. Never even tried to assemble it.
    If you are looking for a good buy you might try searching C'list for Vive, Rift or just VR.

I will post my thoughts on the TPcast when I get it up and running.

heatlesssun likes this.
  17. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

18. Ghoststalker

Ghoststalker Limp Gawd

What is the consensus on the Vive DAS? Everything I read indicates its a must have. I have $100 Giftcard for Amazon, so its either the DAS, or saving for upgrading from a z170 to z270 motherboard (not really thrilled with current mobo, I know feature differences are low).

19. tarasis

tarasis n00bie

Its good BUT it depends on your headshape / size, and ears. For me my ears are in the road, they are either bent down by the side bridge or being pressed under it. Yes its much easier to adjust but I haven't found a comfortable position yet. I also can't get the headphones as close to my ears as I would like. At present for me it wasn't worth the 119€, I will keep trying for a bit longer before giving up and trying to sell it (can't return it having opened the package - bought in a shop)

20. tarasis

tarasis n00bie

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to upgrade my GTX 970 for a GTX 1080ti for use with my Vive, or wait for the Volta boards. I do struggle with performance on various games (Everspace, Raw Data) which I would like to address, plus using Super Sampling to improve text quality (Elite Dangerous).

21. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

At this point I recommend you wait. Volta is around the corner and the prices are stupidly high right now for most GPUs. You also want to get something that is capable of rendering at 2k per eye with everything turned on so you can future proof it since new headsets are also around the corner. The 1080Ti still struggles to keep 90fps at 4k.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  22. Nenu

Volta will be end of year or next year.
    NVidia claim its not cost effective to release sooner, they are in a comfortable position without releasing due to lack of competition so...
    No word on which card(s) will be first.

23. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Couldn't find a thread for this game, and didn't really care to make one, so putting this here.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is 50% off - $24.99

griff30 and swiftwind like this.
  24. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Bridge Crew is somewhat interesting looking, just wondering how much replay ability there is. I'd prefer a VR X-Wing personally, but I'm not buying PSVR just for that one VR mission in SWBF

25. Nenu

From the reviews I read Bridge Crew is a bit of fun at first but becomes samey after not long.
    There are no away missions, its a simple concept.
    It seems to be more of a multiplayer VR demo, a bit expensive.

26. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Thanks for the small review. That is kind of what I read also. Even for 25 I don't think it seems worth it.

27. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I picked it up...haven't tried it yet but I will give my impressions once I do.

28. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

So this arrived in the mail. It came in a yellow envelope with anti static bubble mailer inside with a zip tie and a piece of Velcro. It looked like something you'd get from China (it came from San Jose).
    It was pretty loud (imagine putting fans from a 1U server right above your face) and it was sending vibrations through the deluxe headset into the headphones as well. In games I could still hear it constantly just less. It did help cool a bit but not that much for me (I use the pleather face pad). They should have gone with bigger fans that push more air and are less noisy. I give it a 2.5 / 5. I'll probably use it on and off but I don't recommend getting this. There has to be something better out there than this.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  29. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Thanks for the review...I was skeptical that it could really work that well.

30. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I use an air conditioner in the room and chill things out. It works perfectly especially if I set it to like 60F (lowest setting) , work as hard as you want in the VR - no sweat. :cyclops:

31. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I've been playing Gorn lately...game is pretty fun.

Also continuing to play H3VR since the updates just keep coming.

32. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Very interesting thing, VR games don't like Threadripper (Rawdata, H3VR, Operation Warcade). Everything is a stuttering mess. Though interestingly enough, once I use process lasso to force the games to use only a max of 8 threads it works fine again. It is just a bit of a pain in the ass to do manually for each game. I am guessing a lot of games are going to have this issue with a 16c/32t chip. On the plus side is you can pretty much do anything else in the background with no loss in performance so long as it isn't hitting the same HD. Encode a video and play a game at the same time no problem.

33. Omegas

Omegas [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm sure not many gaming companies optimize to a server chip but who knows going forward with more cores/threads becoming the norm.

34. Dayaks

Generally high FPS is very IPC/Ghz related. They need higher IPC and clocks to be a good VR/high Hz CPU.

According to the H review it looks close to "good enough" at least with the games they tested.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/5

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  35. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

36. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Transmission resolution 2K? Isn't that the max or slightly less than the res on a Vive? If it could be upgraded to 4K it might be decent.

37. Cardio

Cardio Limp Gawd

I have a TP Cast and I cannot tell any difference in resolution from wired, on my Vive.

38. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 [H]ard|Gawd

Well, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference as the resolution is exactly the same whether you run wired or wireless. The only thing using the TPCast is supposed to change as to signal is adding a tiny bit of latency which should be imperceptible. It doesn't muck with changing resolution.

39. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

Any issues with voice communications?

40. pj-

pj- Limp Gawd

The microphone still doesn't officially work but there is an open source project with a workaround
    https://github.com/OpenTPCast