Become a Patron!

HTC Vive Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Chaos Machine, Apr 6, 2016.

1. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

So the vive DAS is very comfortable and the headphones are as good as the hyperx cloud that it replaced. Really loving it. It's much easier to put it on and take it off now.

On a side note, just saw this today. It's an interesting idea but I wish it was built into the headset rather than sticking it ontop. Thoughts?

Their indiegogo page is here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    Ryan7968 and Soochinator like this.
  2. Soochinator

Soochinator n00bie

That's really interesting. I don't use my Vive during the summer very often since I don't have A/C. Once my face starts to sweat, the lenses fog, it stops being fun and I just want to get the thing off my head.

Ok, I caved. $27 to be able to use my Vive whenever I want during summer is money well spent if it works.

Ryan7968 and swiftwind like this.
  3. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

I signed up as well. I always sweat inside the headset...

Ryan7968 likes this.
  4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

New foam for the D.A.S did they just wash them (not fuzzy) or are they new (still fuzzy) ?

5. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

I'm not really sure. The padding is not fuzzy. I'll try to take a picture later.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

It feels to me like the foam used in the included face covers though the foam in the DAS is a bit darker in color, I wouldn't call it fuzzy at all. I kind of wondered when I heard about this problem why HTC didn't use the same foam in the strap from the face covers as the face covers obviously hold to sweat. After a few hours with the DAS now and some sweating the foam seems to be holding up fine.

7. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

TPcast... might be a nice birthday present to myself. $250 ontop of the $800 Vive, $3000 PC, pfff pennies.

Good point in Gen II Vive maybe having it. Anyone have any idea when that might happen?

8. pj-

pj- Limp Gawd

There may be gen 1.5 stuff soon-ish, but I don't think real gen 2 (eye tracking, 4k per eye, wireless) will be until late 2018 or early 2019

9. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Personally I don't think we'll see gen 2 till 2020. The next thing for Vive I think will be the Knuckles controller upgrade and then official wireless from HTC. The new headset with higher resolution and eye tracking will be much later. I think many VR companies are working at cost reduction for the current units first before they put out a new "high end" system. That way they can cover more bases like a $300-$500 low end model which would be like the current vive, then a $600-$800+ high end model that would have the new stuff. Right now what VR needs is more users and AAA like games that take advantage of the immersion. The high end system will require video cards that just don't exist yet IMHO. Yeah you can do scaling, but that really is just a temporary stop gap. I definitely wouldn't pay for a high end Gen 2 VR setup if my hardware couldn't render at native resolution. It's like buying a 1080p only capable PC but then splurging for a 4K monitor. Yeah it can work if you upscale but for me it wouldn't justify the price of buying the 4k monitor.

heatlesssun likes this.
  10. Dayaks

I might jump on that wireless thing then. Kids always get tied up in the wire and my son spins in circles for some reason.

Do realize I render at 2722x3024 per eye (I need to check this to be honest) with a 1080 right now and downscale.... we're not that far off. But yeah, we're not mainstream. That is 16MP which is 2x 4k screens in pixels.

I didn't even realize this but there's a super scaling slider under the developer tab for the Vive.

There's also room overview which has this nifty screen.

rs.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    TroubleMagnet likes this.
  11. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

So a friend said he bought a Chinese VR headset called Pimax(sp?) With 2k resolution per eye. He said that it has no screen door effect And works just fine. That to me is priceless. He said he got it because it was driving him nuts not being able to see very far in games and that this resolved it for him. I admit it would make sniping in onward a lot more fun.

I'd be surprised if HTC doesn't come out with something better soon with all these upgrades in the pipeline. No, I'm not buying anything other than HTC.

PS - I hope I'm wrong though because I'm tempted to buy the wireless attachment too.

12. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Pimax.

Seated only though.

13. swiftwind

swiftwind Gawd

Oh yeah I'm not saying go out and buy it. Hell no. Haha

Its just an indication of where technology is going.

14. Dayaks

Yeah 2k per an eye would be easy. Vive just needs a little boost... I'm rendering the same pixels as 4k per eye ffs so I don't think graphics cards are really the issue.

15. Ryan7968

Ryan7968 Limp Gawd

I jumped on this train too. Have to wait for September to get one though but it should be nice. I've also got the DAS on order, and using those built-in headphones in place of my full cans should keep the head much cooler by itself. With both of these things I hope sweat will be minimal.