HTC Vive Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Chaos Machine, Apr 6, 2016.

1. swiftwind

swiftwind Limp Gawd

Hmm OK. Kind of tired of fighting with the cord and having to untangle it every time. The wireless adapter will be a welcomed upgrade.

2. H-street

H-street [H]ardness Supreme

Can't wait. Hoping they have a good high capacity battery available at launch

swiftwind likes this.
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias [H]ard|Gawd

The Chinese TPCast manual indicates the battery pack is 20000 mAh and they expect it to last about 4 hours.

Imo, $250 is a bit much for the wireless adapter. Take that money and save it for a Gen 2 headset, that might have wireless built in.

4. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

No info on number of full charges and derating (loss of max power vs number of charges).
    If its a lower end Lithium ion it could be much less than 300 charges.
    Especially if they charge above nominal voltage to reduce battery size, weight and cost, that can hammer the life expectancy.
    This also decreases safety so is worth knowing.

5. Swolern

Swolern Limp Gawd

Who all is going to pick this up? I can see more of a use for people that have a large room-scale area. Mine is 20x15ft so loosing the cords will be very welcome.

6. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

Even in smaller room scale 12 x 12, hell just standing, the cords break immersion. Don't know if I will pay 250 for it though. The new headgear and this might be worth 250 to me, since it does not really look like gen 2 headsets will be out anytime this year.

I do think this will be built in to HMDs likely to come out in the next couple years.

7. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah I am not sure about getting it either. I was expecting $100-$120 but $250 is way more than I was expecting.

8. swiftwind

swiftwind Limp Gawd

I think it's definitely worth it, especially since it's an upgrade for hardware that's already a year old (if don't count the pre). We're lucky that they are making this upgrade available to us without leaving us behind for a second gen headset.

9. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Probably won't be picking it up for $250, but it does sound pretty cool.

10. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Limp Gawd

I might grab it but I want to see some reviews first. If it looks like it's not too tightly tied to the current version of the VIVE so I could use it on a 2nd gen headset as well that would be a HUGE plus. If it comes with a better strap, maybe with Rift style earphones, that would help sell it too.

11. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

If you are referring to the TPCast, there have been several reviews by people who have tried the prototype - supposed to be pretty good with no noticeable latency (see here). However, unless the next Vive is extremely similar to the current one (i.e. same bandwidth, meaning probably same resolution, etc.) it won't work with anything other than the current Vive.

12. Huacanacha

Huacanacha n00bie

As much as I would like to pick up it up I will likely hold out for gen2. I mostly do dev anyway and I'm already mildly frustrated with the controllers running out of juice by the end of the day. Not enthused about having another thing to charge, especially one that will likely stay on longer than the controllers and therefore deplete much quicker. Hopefully true gen2 will have built in wireless (plus more comfortable design and high res screens with eye tracked foveated rendering) and a convenient charging dock for headset + controllers... or maybe hot swap capability for the headset at least.

13. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Now I know, I definitely have 0 interest in playing VR on hot summer days. Today is 90 by me and I don't even want to put it on. I just got a 1080Ti too but I just want to stay seated since I am still sweating doing that lol.

14. Omegas

Omegas [H]ardForum Junkie

Do you play outside or something???

Dayaks likes this.
  15. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

No AC maybe? I know if it was warm in my house I wouldn't want to play it, either. Even when it's cool my face still gets sweaty somewhat often.

16. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

In general my inside temps are hotter than the outside temps by a few degrees even with the windows open with fans running. With my AC installed, the temps aren't that much cooler due to the size of the space and the AC rating. I recently bought a "portable" AC and even if it's rated at 15k BTU I swear it only outputs at most 8k-9k BTU during the middle of the day when the sun is beating down on the roof.

17. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I usually just keep my room below 70F with a window unit - I like it cold so does my computers.

heatlesssun likes this.
  18. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Air conditioning a Vive room seems like a small expense compared to the Vive+PC...

I wouldn't want to play in heat. Hell ghetto it out and block off the room with sheets if there's no door. Make a thread about it after :). We love Ghetto threads.