HTC Vive Owners Thread

Good headphones usually have a larger soundstage for better spatial awareness in VR. Although earbuds are convenient. I like both depending on my mood. Wireless is just one less wire to have to manipulate around your head/neck, definitely worth it.

If you bundle up the cable or get a short cable like I mentioned, you don't have to deal with cables around your head or neck. For instance, I have used my Fidelio X1s with a 1' cable directly into the Vive. Works great, no messy cable to deal with. When I switched to earbuds, I just bundled up the cable and attached it to the top headstrap. Earbuds hang down on either side, quick and easy to put in with the headset on your face.

If you bundle up the cable or get a short cable like I mentioned, you don't have to deal with cables around your head or neck. For instance, I have used my Fidelio X1s with a 1' cable directly into the Vive. Works great, no messy cable to deal with. When I switched to earbuds, I just bundled up the cable and attached it to the top headstrap. Earbuds hang down on either side, quick and easy to put in with the headset on your face.
Great idea with the earbuds attaching it to the head strap, I am going to have to do that.

Great idea with the earbuds attaching it to the head strap, I am going to have to do that.

Yep, can't claim it as my own but here is a pic of how it should look like (roughly):

bvo9U5O.jpg

That does look like it works well.

Yeah it is hella convenient. One small tweak I made from that image is the red line goes under the vive logo going in, and then on top of the logo going back toward the front. That locks it in so it can't fall out and start flopping around.

Finally a game for the Vive I'm looking forward too. Been waiting to play this one for over a year. Releases March 14!

https://uploadvr.com/paranormal-activity-vr-coming-soon-check-new-teaser-trailer/

Very cool. I haven't really played any horror stuff yet, but playing TheBlu last night - the Depths level where you're on the dark ocean floor with only a flashlight - that the potential for horror/scare titles is super high with VR, some amazing possibilities there. It really is eerie.

I have ZERO interest in VR horror...lol.

I finally picked up Arizona Sunshine...pretty good game, it feels pretty repetitive but graphically/performance-wise it feels good, and the gunplay is decent (although most of the weapons have shitty iron sights that you can barely see, leading me to use the starter pistol 99% of the time). I like the damage and dismemberment model...pretty cool.

One bummer is that there is a lot to pick up and look at in the game, but most of it does nothing.

Any games that are more fulfilling than an "experience"? Having lots of fun in H3VR and Hover Junkers but I want something with progression or a story or adventure. The only two things that are satisfying that for me right now or Vivecraft and Doom 3 (which the controls are broken for me; using the recently released teleport mod).

Any games that are more fulfilling than an "experience"? Having lots of fun in H3VR and Hover Junkers but I want something with progression or a story or adventure. The only two things that are satisfying that for me right now or Vivecraft and Doom 3 (which the controls are broken for me; using the recently released teleport mod).

I'd probably recommend:

Vanishing Realms
Arizona Sunshine
Sairento VR (not so much of a "story" there but a progression/loot system)

Raw Data for sure.

Thanks guys!

I heard good things about a Vanishing Realms and I think I started downloading the Robo Recall demo. Will be giving these a shot.

I finally started Vanishing Realms last night. So far its the most compelling VR experience I've had. I may be biased since I love dungeon crawlers, but the sense of actually being .. in a dungeon .. was uncanny. Loaded into the first room after the tutorial, spent 15 minutes just admiring things - the large stone columns looked real enough to touch. The first swordfight with an NPC was a visceral experience where I actually braced as he swung his sword at me. I'd read reviews with other people claiming to have this reaction and figured they were exaggerating or easily impressed. Nope, it's that immersive.

It made me wish two things: that the room space was warehouse sized so there was no need to teleport and you could just walk everywhere, and that I could fast forward to the future where FROM Software had done a Souls game in VR. Good god. Since Bethesda is jumping heavily into VR with Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VR, I reckon the exploration in TES6 VR is going to be absurd.

Last edited:
What's going to become increasingly common over the next few years is that homes will have rooms specifically dedicated for VR use. Just like building a "home theater room" was all the craze for the last decade or so. The neat part about a VR room is that it's a lot cheaper to set up in that it basically needs to be empty save for the VR equipment. I can also see folks padding walls, removing or protecting windows, removing exposed light fixtures/fans, etc. The next step after a dedicated VR room will be eventually upgrading them to holodecks. :D

Reactions: DPI
like this
What's going to become increasingly common over the next few years is that homes will have rooms specifically dedicated for VR use. Just like building a "home theater room" was all the craze for the last decade or so. The neat part about a VR room is that it's a lot cheaper to set up in that it basically needs to be empty save for the VR equipment. I can also see folks padding walls, removing or protecting windows, removing exposed light fixtures/fans, etc. The next step after a dedicated VR room will be eventually upgrading them to holodecks. :D
I have a small "home theater" room upstairs. I have never thought about making it dedicated to VR...Hmmmm.

I've already done this with my "office". It's a bedroom devoid of furniture aside from the desk my monitors, keyboard and mouse sit on.

Why not both? I almost made my Home Theater room the VR room. I'd need to upgrade the HTPC and I'd be a bit worried about hitting the floor standing speakers while in VR. I have another room with plenty of floor space that the game machine was already in so it won out for now. If they had the option to use a full surround speaker setup for the positional audio instead of headphones I'd likely switch.

Why not both? I almost made my Home Theater room the VR room. I'd need to upgrade the HTPC and I'd be a bit worried about hitting the floor standing speakers while in VR. I have another room with plenty of floor space that the game machine was already in so it won out for now. If they had the option to use a full surround speaker setup for the positional audio instead of headphones I'd likely switch.
I have a 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. I would love to use it for VR, especially as it has directional sound coming from all sides and from above with Atmos.
I finally started Vanishing Realms last night. So far its the most compelling VR experience I've had. I may be biased since I love dungeon crawlers, but the sense of actually being .. in a dungeon .. was uncanny. Loaded into the first room after the tutorial, spent 15 minutes just admiring things - the large stone columns looked real enough to touch. The first swordfight with an NPC was a visceral experience where I actually braced as he swung his sword at me. I'd read reviews with other people claiming to have this reaction and figured they were exaggerating or easily impressed. Nope, it's that immersive.

It made me wish two things: that the room space was warehouse sized so there was no need to teleport and you could just walk everywhere, and that I could fast forward to the future where FROM Software had done a Souls game in VR. Good god. Since Bethesda is jumping heavily into VR with Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VR, I reckon the exploration in TES6 VR is going to be absurd.
Great review!!

I have ZERO interest in VR horror...lol.
What's wrong with VR horror? I think it's one of the best, if not the best genre for VR. It surrounds you with the horror environment and VR gives you a feeling of no escape due to the HMD. But definitely not for the faint of heart.

What's wrong with VR horror? I think it's one of the best, if not the best genre for VR. It surrounds you with the horror environment and VR gives you a feeling of no escape due to the HMD. But definitely not for the faint of heart.

I meant because I already tend to scream like a girl at normal horror games, VR would just be terrible... :p

I have a 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. I would love to use it for VR, especially as it has directional sound coming from all sides and from above with Atmos.
I dont think it can be done effectively.
Many speakers dont work well near field, it requires a minimum distance for it to sound coherent, otherwise you hear each driver independently.

The angle to each speakers front will vary the response too and this will vary between drivers on the same speaker.
Different speakers vary these characteristics a lot.

As you get closer to a speaker it gets louder, further away it gets quieter which will further skew what each ear receives.
This is probably the only element that can be compensated for in software but the min power specs + volume level will need to follow a guideline to prevent damage.

Lastly, speakers shouldnt appear as point sources of sound.
When sat seated between speakers your ears perceive a field of sound, the speaker point sources disappear.
As you move closer to a speaker it becomes a point source making all sound in that corner come from one place.

Last + 1
It will only work for one person in a play area.
Other people could wear headphones but their bodies would occlude speakers preventing them working as intended.

Overall, the immersion of speakers just on the edge of a play area wont work.
They need to be a LOT further away from the play area edges and there need to be many more speakers.
Sad because I'd like the same too.

Last edited:
I have to admit that although I have no real musical talent I've still found Soundstage to be really enjoyable even for just playing around. Have to see what kind of sound effects can be come up with. :D

The GTX 1080Ti beats the GTX 1080 by 47% in the Steam VR test. Wow!

3204927-image+(21).png
It makes almost fuck all difference to Project cars VR though.
The main reason I bought a 1080ti moving from a 980ti was to improve the AA on Project cars.
Can hardly make any changes pfft.
Got more testing to do, not done yet.
But my brain is shagged over how little can change so far.

It makes almost fuck all difference to Project cars VR though.
The main reason I bought a 1080ti moving from a 980ti was to improve the AA on Project cars.
Can hardly make any changes pfft.
Got more testing to do, not done yet.
But my brain is shagged over how little can change so far.
With my testing of Project Cars the game has a bottleneck somewhere else in the graphics pipeline. It's the game, unfortunately the best GPU won't help this game, as VR was tacked on after the game was already produced. We will have to wait for PCars 2 which will be made from ground up for VR.

No noticeable latency and an uncompressed signed!! Wow!! I'm definitely buying this!!!

Last edited:
With my testing of Project Cars the game has a bottleneck somewhere else in the graphics pipeline. It's the game, unfortunately the best GPU won't help this game, as VR was tacked on after the game was already produced. We will have to wait for PCars 2 which will be made from ground up for VR.
I'm inclined to agree.

There's Elite Dangerous. This is an actual full game with VR support, as opposed to an "experience." If you've ever played Freelancer, it's an awful lot like that, but massively multiplayer and more detailed in the simulation department.

There's also Robo Recall, which is a full game, but smaller in scope than most AAA FPS titles. It's fun in (very) small doses, IMHO. I think Doom 3 with the VR mod is better.

All three of these are playable with the Vive now, supposedly, although I've only tried them on my Rift.

There's Elite Dangerous. This is an actual full game with VR support, as opposed to an "experience." If you've ever played Freelancer, it's an awful lot like that, but massively multiplayer and more detailed in the simulation department.

I haven't played it yet, but based on the description you either need to play with a keyboard (wearing a VR headset ?) or you'll need a very programmable joystick like the HOTAS that can issue the needed keyboard commands to play effectively.

I played the living shit out of the original Elite on the C64. Really tempted to give Dangerous a whirl.

I haven't played it yet, but based on the description you either need to play with a keyboard (wearing a VR headset ?) or you'll need a very programmable joystick like the HOTAS that can issue the needed keyboard commands to play effectively.

I played the living shit out of the original Elite on the C64. Really tempted to give Dangerous a whirl.
The controls in Elite are suuuuuper customizable. There are Xbox One and PS4 versions, so theoretically, you could play the entire game with a gamepad, although I'm not entirely sure how that works - the game has a metric whackton of commands. I personally have used a regular old joystick and keyboard, and that worked OK, although it's less than optimal in VR.

Now, I use a CH Products HOTAS setup for the flight controls and the Xbox One controller that came with my Rift for the menus, maps and the surface vehicle.

I'm kinda lucky in that I live in an area where they build the houses stupidly big so my VR area is directly next to the TV area.
The couch is a little shifted over than I'd like, but the area is deep enough that my floorstanding speakers are beyond the Vive's trackable area, so I've got a lot of space to work with, and I'm not giving up the big TV and floorstanding speakers to do it.

Back