HTC Vive Owners Thread

Wow I just tried it and it way surpassed what I expected. The MS store had both sensors on the ceiling on the same wall. Definitely buying it for Christmas.

Thanks for all the tips!

Interesting that they had them on the same wall...Vive setup only ever shows them on opposite corners of the play area, which is a WAY better idea since if they are on the same wall it seems like you could easily obscure the HMD and/or controllers with your body from both lighthouses, causing tracking issues.

Glad to hear you liked it!

Or you can do what I did and use 2 of these in the corners of your room : 2-in-1 Support/Cargo Bar and get 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5M39AW/ to mount the base stations with. They are rock solid stable but they are blue so your wife might object even if they are in the corner of the room. But it makes it easy to remove if you have guests and redo your setup. I put in the Harbor Freight links because they are the least expensive ones at $15 each, Amazon also has them but they are more money and red or yellow only.

If I mount them on the wall and run the wires inside the wall there's a good chance she'll never notice them.

It took her two months when we went from a 24" 16:9 to 34" 21:9 and she even booked excursions on the 21:9... and it was curved. The first curved she's ever used.

Interesting that they had them on the same wall...Vive setup only ever shows them on opposite corners of the play area, which is a WAY better idea since if they are on the same wall it seems like you could easily obscure the HMD and/or controllers with your body from both lighthouses, causing tracking issues.

Glad to hear you liked it!

I thought so too. They were pretty high up though. Pretty steep angle down, maybe 45* when I was furthest from them. Almost took a pic but was too far away when I thought of it. Yeah definitely sold, how could you not be?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I mount them on the wall and run the wires inside the wall there's a good chance she'll never notice them.
I didnt need to use the wire linking the base stations, about a 6 meter diagonal spread.
A bigger area might.
They talk to each other wirelessly if the distance isnt too far.

I didnt need to use the wire linking the base stations, about a 6 meter diagonal spread.
A bigger area might.
They talk to each other wirelessly if the distance isnt too far.
I believe he was talking about the wire for AC power.

It took her two months when we went from a 24" 16:9 to 34" 21:9 and she even booked excursions on the 21:9... and it was curved. The first curved she's ever used.

I thought so too. They were pretty high up though. Pretty steep angle down, maybe 45* when I was furthest from them. Almost took a pic but was too far away when I thought of it. Yeah definitely sold, how could you not be?
I have the 21:9 Predator X34, it's a great compliment to the Vive.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
BTW - I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a couple of those magnetic USB cables. I'll let you guys know if they are good or not. Supposed to get them delivered today.

Got those magnetic micro-USB cables...they work really well, although you can't set the Vive controller down where the charging port is facing down, otherwise it bumps it slightly off the port. But you can turn them upside-down and it works great.

I also bought Onward and played a few rounds. Holy shit...this is pretty epic, even in EA. It really feels like a basic version of ArmA in VR. Only issue is that after awhile I was getting a bit of nausea due to the movement system, but I was also doing some weird stuff like running around in circles while facing one direction and probably some other stuff that didn't help.

DEFINITELY try this game if you have any interest in military shooters. There were a pretty decent number of people playing when I hopped on.

Had my first bad experience in VR today in Project Cars. I tried this earlier with a PS4 controller and I was OK, but today I decided to bring out the wheel and wow I just couldn't take it after my second spin out. It's been a while since I used my steering wheel so I was taking it slow, things were going OK then I spun out. After getting turned around and going again, I started feeling it only slightly, but I figured I could get over it, then I spun out again and that was pretty much it. I was trying to get back on the track and go in the right direction but as I was turning I looked left it hit me pretty hard. I broke out into a cold sweat and started feeling nauseous so I had to stop. It's very weird it reminded me of the DCS flight sim. When I got that same feeling I was looking out the canopy left while banking. It seems if I am looking away from the movement direction that will trigger it.

Also bought a new game Trickster VR. It's early access and another archery game with a sword for $10. At the moment the dev only has the wave battle mode in, but it's pretty good if your into the archery type games. Your backup weapon if they get close to you is a short sword and you can even throw it if you want. Movement is via teleporting. I felt kinda like I was playing some kind of Lord of the Rings kind of game when dealing with the Orcs. When they get close I was like dam they are pretty huge. I can't wait till the dev gets in the story mode with procedural changing levels in. Though because of this game I did notice one thing VR is lacking and that is feedback for the rest of your body. We will need some kind of haptic feedback via a vest for the torso. Without something like that it really breaks immersion when things hit you. I was surrounded by orcs and was dealing with the guy in front, so the red tint that meant to show I was getting hit was basically useless cause I thought it was the guy in front, I didn't even realize someone got behind me till I died.

Thanks for the info Maverick. I'll pass on Onward. Just don't want to chance the nausea, I am basically done with VR for the evening now after Project Cars.

Had my first bad experience in VR today in Project Cars. I tried this earlier with a PS4 controller and I was OK, but today I decided to bring out the wheel and wow I just couldn't take it after my second spin out. It's been a while since I used my steering wheel so I was taking it slow, things were going OK then I spun out. After getting turned around and going again, I started feeling it only slightly, but I figured I could get over it, then I spun out again and that was pretty much it. I was trying to get back on the track and go in the right direction but as I was turning I looked left it hit me pretty hard. I broke out into a cold sweat and started feeling nauseous so I had to stop. It's very weird it reminded me of the DCS flight sim. When I got that same feeling I was looking out the canopy left while banking. It seems if I am looking away from the movement direction that will trigger it.

Project Cars is the only VR game I've played to make me feel sick. The cart racing being the primary issue, I was driving a P1 around Laguna Seca the other day at it wasn't nearly as bad but the shimmering and aliasing made it a fairly sub par experience. I'll mess around with the settings a bit more and try it again but I've already got most of the VR settings maxed so I think I'll just stick to playing it the traditional way.

Project Cars is the only VR game I've played to make me feel sick. The cart racing being the primary issue, I was driving a P1 around Laguna Seca the other day at it wasn't nearly as bad but the shimmering and aliasing made it a fairly sub par experience. I'll mess around with the settings a bit more and try it again but I've already got most of the VR settings maxed so I think I'll just stick to playing it the traditional way.

Those karts were my worse experience as well. Limited cockpit to ground you, tracks with fairly dramatic elevation changes, fast speed. No good for VR.

I like it, it's fun, but I think my wife's PC needs a 1070... Just picked it up today at the M$ store.

Also it took us all of 30 minutes to figure out how to get started, on screen instructions were pretty easy. First VR experience.

Yeah, I went to the HTC site for setup videos. Not everything was 100% clear from the box materials (how to set up the sync cable, for example).

Just bought Vanishing Realms, and WOW!! I love it. It doesn't need that 2m x 2m that it says on the steam page for the room. I have 2m x 1.5m and it worked great. I think you could get by with even smaller, possibly even standing only, though there was 2 spots where being able to move in and out of cover helped. It really feels like being the hero in an ARPG. The sword fighting is fun. Sword and shield, you can block with either and even parry with the sword, the bow was good and the magic wand was an interesting take. I highly recommend it to anyone who is into Fantasy type games. Update 2 was released today in case anyone bought it earlier and didn't know. Probably my favorite VR game right now. It took me 3 hours to complete chapter 1. If I wasn't just tired already I'd probably still be playing. ;) It's cartoony skeletons so I guess it's more like Zelda than the D&D/LotR type fantasy world, but I still feel like a bad ass when I block and parry their sword attacks, especially when I went up against 3 at once (though I died). :)

Just bought Vanishing Realms, and WOW!! I love it. It doesn't need that 2m x 2m that it says on the steam page for the room. I have 2m x 1.5m and it worked great. I think you could get by with even smaller, possibly even standing only, though there was 2 spots where being able to move in and out of cover helped. It really feels like being the hero in an ARPG. The sword fighting is fun. Sword and shield, you can block with either and even parry with the sword, the bow was good and the magic wand was an interesting take. I highly recommend it to anyone who is into Fantasy type games. Update 2 was released today in case anyone bought it earlier and didn't know. Probably my favorite VR game right now. It took me 3 hours to complete chapter 1. If I wasn't just tired already I'd probably still be playing. ;) It's cartoony skeletons so I guess it's more like Zelda than the D&D/LotR type fantasy world, but I still feel like a bad ass when I block and parry their sword attacks, especially when I went up against 3 at once (though I died). :)

I can't wait until Oculus Touch comes out, I really want to play this game.

Those karts were my worse experience as well. Limited cockpit to ground you, tracks with fairly dramatic elevation changes, fast speed. No good for VR.

I agree! 30 minutes playing PC on a friends rig I decided that game is not for me. I can play DCS all day without issues...unless I have had a drink or two. Then looking up or back during a tight turn makes me woozy.

But Project Cars, it was right out of the gate.

Wierd. I never had any problems with Project Cars. And I'm pretty sensitive to motion sickness. I do use a wheel/pedal setup and use cockpit view. It really tricks my mind I'm inside a real car. Love it. Especially when multiplayer racing with others.

Has anyone tried the new game Onward? Looks fun as hell!!

Yep...it's pretty awesome. The locomotion can be a bit nausea inducing depending on how you move and what your tolerance is, but it's the closest thing to an ArmA-lite experience in VR.

Kyle picked it up as well but I haven't heard if he tried it yet.

I picked one up last night at Microcenter. I had never played with or demoed a VR set before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got it all set up, updated the firmware, laid out my room size 3.5M X1.8M, and finally put on the headset to go through the tutorial. Now I know it was just a tutorial, but I was blown away by the immersion that I felt, I forgot I was in a room with a couch and TV and really felt like I was in this wide open space. The only other game I have had a chance to try is The Blu, and this was even more amazing watching the whale. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but damn this is some neat technology.

The rest of my family has been playing with it since, and I don't see myself getting back to it before the labor day weekend is over and the kids go back to school. My wife's favorite game so far isThe Brookehaven Experiment.

So far we have the bundle that came with it. Downloaded The Lab and Nvidia Fun House. And then bought Job Simulator, The Brookhaven Experiment, The Blu, Elite Dangerous, AudioShield, Fantastic Contraption, Space Pirate Trainer, Time Machine VR, and Vanishing Realms. Thinking about getting Island 359.

Any other suggestions that you like, free or paid?

Last edited:
I picked one up last night at Microcenter. I had never played with or demoed a VR set before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got it all set up, updated the firmware, laid out my room size 3.5M X1.8M, and finally put on the headset to go through the tutorial. Now I know it was just a tutorial, but I was blown away by the immersion that I felt, I forgot I was in a room with a couch and TV and really felt like I was in this wide open space. The only other game I have had a chance to try is The Blu, and this was even more amazing watching the whale. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but damn this is some neat technology.

The rest of my family has been playing with it since, and I don't see myself getting back to it before the labor day weekend is over and the kids go back to school. My wife's favorite game so far isThe Brookehaven Experiment.

So far we have the bundle that came with it. Downloaded The Lab and Nvidia Fun House. And then bought Job Simulator, The Brookhaven Experiment, The Blu, Elite Dangerous, AudioShield, Fantastic Contraption, Space Pirate Trainer, Time Machine VR, and Vanishing Realms. Thinking about getting Island 359.

Addictive, no? :D And everyone was saying it's a fad and it's like 3D TV and it'll die off. Well, welcome to the club! Raw Data is lots of fun. If you are into sims, DCS World and Project cars. I also like messing around with Universe Sandbox 2. Quite a lot to choose from now. Have fun!

Congrats! And nice list you have there, some great ones in there. A couple more of my favorites are "Chair in A Room", that's a must have. Holopoint, Raw Data, & Lightblade VR(who would t want to fight with a Light Saber!)

My favorite freebies are Rec Room & Waltz of the Wizard. Be careful letting the kids play Rec Room, it's a public multiplayer and things can get adult oriented quickly. I don't let my little ones on that one.

Yep...it's pretty awesome. The locomotion can be a bit nausea inducing depending on how you move and what your tolerance is, but it's the closest thing to an ArmA-lite experience in VR.

Kyle picked it up as well but I haven't heard if he tried it yet.
The locomotion is what was worrying me. Looks like you need to be pretty advanced and have your "VR legs" before you buy this one.

Welcome and congratulations :)

I think Swolern has covered a bunch. Another title that is a nice freebie is Skeet: VR Target shooting. Also of course Trials on Tatooine for the Star Wars fan. Just one caveat you might not be able to play ToT due to it really requiring a 2m x 2m minimum space. There will be a part where you have to press buttons and it was outside my 2m x 1.5m space. I got around it because the buttons were not behind a wall but behind my TV so I reached over the top and pressed them from the back lol. From the bundled games definitely give Call of the Starseed and Google Tiltbrush. The Zombie game is a OK game, some people hate it, it's not the best but I like some of the mechanics of it. It would definitely be better if it was more realistic than cardboard zombie cutouts so it'll be OK I think for your kids.

Vanishing Realms is my favorite so far. I like TricksterVR for archery and also get the free alpha version of QuiVR (another archery type game). QuiVR is more of a realistic feel to it than Longbow in the lab or TricksterVR but very much alpha quality. They are both wave combat oriented but Trickster is closer to The Lab's Longbow game but with orcs running around and you being able to move around also rather than being fixed to a spot. You also get a sword you can swing or throw at the orcs if they get close to you.

Addictive, no? :D And everyone was saying it's a fad and it's like 3D TV and it'll die off. Well, welcome to the club! Raw Data is lots of fun. If you are into sims, DCS World and Project cars. I also like messing around with Universe Sandbox 2. Quite a lot to choose from now. Have fun!

Thanks! I downloaded DCS World and will give that a try tomorrow. It is pretty addictive. They just need to figure out a way to have a small A/C unit installed on them to pump cool air in the face mask, or more specifically the foam around the face mask. That gets pretty hot. Other than that I've had no issues at all with this. Might be the easiest 'upgrade' I've done.

Congrats! And nice list you have there, some great ones in there. A couple more of my favorites are "Chair in A Room", that's a must have. Holopoint, Raw Data, & Lightblade VR(who would t want to fight with a Light Saber!

My favorite freebies are Rec Room & Waltz of the Wizard. Be careful letting the kids play Rec Room, it's a public multiplayer and things can get adult oriented quickly. I don't let my little ones on that one.

Thank you! Chair in a Room looks cool, I'm going to get that one tomorrow as well - I'm off the girls aren't :) My youngest was playing with Waltz of the Wizard for maybe an hour and a half messing with the different spells - good call on that one.

Welcome and congratulations :)

I think Swolern has covered a bunch. Another title that is a nice freebie is Skeet: VR Target shooting. Also of course Trials on Tatooine for the Star Wars fan. Just one caveat you might not be able to play ToT due to it really requiring a 2m x 2m minimum space. There will be a part where you have to press buttons and it was outside my 2m x 1.5m space. I got around it because the buttons were not behind a wall but behind my TV so I reached over the top and pressed them from the back lol. From the bundled games definitely give Call of the Starseed and Google Tiltbrush. The Zombie game is a OK game, some people hate it, it's not the best but I like some of the mechanics of it. It would definitely be better if it was more realistic than cardboard zombie cutouts so it'll be OK I think for your kids.

Vanishing Realms is my favorite so far. I like TricksterVR for archery and also get the free alpha version of QuiVR (another archery type game). QuiVR is more of a realistic feel to it than Longbow in the lab or TricksterVR but very much alpha quality. They are both wave combat oriented but Trickster is closer to The Lab's Longbow game but with orcs running around and you being able to move around also rather than being fixed to a spot. You also get a sword you can swing or throw at the orcs if they get close to you.

Thank you! Skeet VR was enjoyed by my oldest today. She actually went Skeet Shooting with her friends and their parents today so she wanted to see how realistic this version was. And we played Trails on Tatooine with no issues - the buttons were over my couch :) I don't think they really needed that big of an area, but whatever, it was cool but VERY short.

I'm going to check out the two archery games you listed tomorrow. There are so many games... Not that it's a bad thing.

I picked up Final Approach last night and so far it is my favorite VR game besides DCS. Very addicting and just simple fun!

Anyone else playing Audio shield notice that the menu's into a song sometimes alternate order? e.g. difficulty level, etc.

Also has anyone noticed, in the same game, that sometimes the haptic vibration misses occasionally, even when a block is registered on screen.
- It's very abrupt in/out when it occurs, maybe I've been playing too much...

I enjoy the shit out of the game though, and really think VR will stick due to where technology is at right now, making it lighter, more powerful and wireless...

I'm just imagining what I know we can do, get Steam/Win/Whatever, and a decent APU packed into a wireless, battery powered super lightweight headset.
- The next decade is going to be interesting IMO.

Well so far my two favorite games are QuiVR (even though it's just an Alpha release) and Fantastic Contraption. Fantastic Contraption makes me feel like an inventor. I played the Flash version of the game but building items in VR is so much more realistic. I find myself stepping around the contraption that I've built, even though I could walk right through it.

Just downloaded Island 359, Onward, Universe Sandbox 2, and Fruit Ninja so time to go play some more. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on VR games in Steam in the last few days :eek:

Well so far my two favorite games are QuiVR (even though it's just an Alpha release) and Fantastic Contraption. Fantastic Contraption makes me feel like an inventor. I played the Flash version of the game but building items in VR is so much more realistic. I find myself stepping around the contraption that I've built, even though I could walk right through it.

Just downloaded Island 359, Onward, Universe Sandbox 2, and Fruit Ninja so time to go play some more. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on VR games in Steam in the last few days :eek:

If you have kids, download Gnomes and Goblins on Steam: Gnomes & Goblins (preview) on Steam It's just a free preview that was released a few days ago, but what's there is *extremely* well done. (Same folks that made The Blu).

Last edited:
If you have kids, download Gnomes and Goblins on Steam: Gnomes & Goblins (preview) on Steam It's just a free preview that was released a few days ago, but what's there is *extremely* well done. (Same folks that made The Blu).

I've been looking for kid games. That one looks amazing.

I think Tilt Brush would be good... a bunch of others like the lab, VR funhouse, ect they'll probably get a kick out of. I don't have my steam wish list in front of me right now.

Thanks for the head up!

#1 Vive game my kids always go to is Job Simulator. I can't be in there for more than 5 minutes, but the kids can stay in there for hours!! I told them wait till they get some real jobs and see how much they like the game. :confused:

I know it's like crack they get you with just a little taste. I have stopped buying games for now and will wait for the next sale before I buy anymore. That's why I bought a Steam Wallet card and am trying to not use my CC in steam. ;) Even if I have no real desire to play Onward I still have a small part of me that wants to buy it just to try out the locomotion some people like and are requesting the Vanishing Realms dev to put in.

My last purchases were The Nest and Octoshield. I like the sniper stuff in VR in the Nest, but it's still a really early release. Only one level with 2 modes (day and night). It's not really a "Gun" it's a laser gun so you don't have to compensate for gravity and distance which I found was not really what I wanted in a Sniper game. To me the fun part of a Sniper game is having to compensate for wind, and distance like in the Sniper Elite games. This one is very much like pull the trigger and it will hit where the cross hairs meet. The AI is also weird in that if you get the robot on the first hit no one cares but once you miss one that one then anyone close by will target you and very accurately. I think I'll make a cardboard buttstock for the Vive controller for this game.

Octoshield is only OK for me. It can definitely be a workout as the wave level goes higher but I have a hard time being accurate throwing the shield around, but it gives you a real kind of Captain America kind of feel to it. Probably a good game for kids IMHO.

If you just want to shoot guns, I'm going to plug Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (aka H3VR). Best gun simulation currently on the Vive. The developer is very active with weekly updates and videos for each going over new features and changes.

#1 Vive game my kids always go to is Job Simulator. I can't be in there for more than 5 minutes, but the kids can stay in there for hours!! I told them wait till they get some real jobs and see how much they like the game. :confused:

My daughter has been asking for that for a few months. I told her to ask Santa for a Vive and that game. She must have seen it on DanTDM or something.

Last edited:
I played a fair amount of Job Simulator on a friend's Vive before I got my own. They switched the free game set over when I bought mine and I haven't picked it up yet. Was going to wait for the winter Steam sale and see if it goes on sale. Will likely spend a fair bit on VR games this winter...I already spent more than I thought I would. :whistle:

So took the plunge today with the Vive. I also bought a trash can (unreleated) and the head phones below. I have a 7.1 wireless headset but I feel like it's going to be too heavy for most people. Not exactly made for movement either.

These guys here - I've read good reveiws on the PX100 with the Vive, just velcroing it to the HMD. These should be similar... I wanted the cups on the PX200 and they are removeable/replaceable. When you plop on the headset the headphones are already in place. At only ~2 ounces, can't beat that.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/2623/SpecSheet_PX200-II_engl.pdf

Thanks for all the insight!

I simply zip tied up the headphone plug and found the included earbuds/mic a LOT more comfortable now.

HTC VIVE Earbud Mic mod.jpg

Yeah, I had to stop using my Fidelio X1s with the Vive because they're a bit too heavy and if you move your head around quickly they tend to...shift.

Ended up getting some JVC HAFX1X earbuds. Also got some Shure SE215s but I need to do some more tweaking because they're not nearly as comfortable in my ears.

Yeah I have a million zip ties so I was going to use those. I wanted something not in ear. My ears get nasty, I don't think the kids or by some chance of God - I get the old hag (wife) to use it - would care to put them in their ears.

I also wonder if I can access the controller position in space through .NET. I noticed it requires .NET framework... I have access to a six axis robot. Would be a fun demo to be able to move the robotic arm by moving the remote. No idea what the actual application would be though. Maybe a better version of a police robot, actually go in and grab/tackle people.

There goes five hours of my life. So much fun. Zombie trainer kept me busy for a while.

I did notice I am getting this nonsense (mine wasn't as bad):

https://abload.de/img/wtf_frametime71ker.png

Trying to find a fix... might be related to friends amount. Apparently people that bypass steam/go offline the issue goes away.

Last edited:
Back