HTC Vive Owners Thread

I agree Call of Starseed is another great Vive game. Amazing production, but very short. I think they worked out most of the bugs already.

Final Approach though I didn't like, I played it for 15 minutes then never again. Just not my type of game I guess.
So tried a Vive demo at my local Microsoft store this past weekend. I was blown away! This thing shits all over the Oculus. I don't know if my Oculus demo was improperly setup or what but when I put on the Vive I immediately saw the difference. I didn't even care that 20 people were watching me in the store, I was running around shooting and dodging bullets like a mad man. Fucking awesome! So I asked how long before they get new stock. They had stock for a month now, over 30 units still on hand. Fuck. I bought one and walked out $850 poorer.
Haha ya that happens to nearly everyone that demos it. Congrats! That's one advantage that HTC has over Oculus, having had massive factories from making phones, easily converted those to ramp up mass production of the Vive making them available everywhere, while Oculus is still stuck having shipping woes.

Last edited:
I tried one of these tonight for the first time on a friend's 1070 rig...

Pretty amazing. Even though the graphics are not on par with most games these days, the experience is so awesome that it doesn't really matter that much. The potential for these is barely realized at this point.

Literally the only reason I would hesitate to buy one of these is that the game library isn't that extensive yet...and I'd have to drop money on a 1080 probably.

I tried the ocean demo, Hover Junkers, Battle Dome, and Job Simulator. Also a bit of some sort of contraption game.

I only got to around 1.4 before I started to get major stuttering. Can't wait for Pascal & it's VR implementation!

I probably didn't try enough games then, I'm sure you must hit higher fps with your rig.

I'm with you on Pascal, should be nice when I finally pull the trigger on upgrading (probably Summer 2017 for me). Between those new VR features being implemented in games and a faster card being able to push the supersampling in current games, things will be very good.

I probably didn't try enough games then, I'm sure you must hit higher fps with your rig.

I'm with you on Pascal, should be nice when I finally pull the trigger on upgrading (probably Summer 2017 for me). Between those new VR features being implemented in games and a faster card being able to push the supersampling in current games, things will be very good.

I can't even go above 1x without games like HHH or Hover Junkers getting dips.

New Vive owner here, only complaint was the blurry resolution, looked like crappy fxaa, lol.

Luckily I saw the super sampling article and tried 2.5 and it looked amazing, obviously had to turn it down for the 90fps, settled at 1.5 and I'm content. Played Brookhaven, Hoops, The Lab, and Audioshield.

Got the Vive about a month back. So far game list includes...

Vanishing Realms - By far my favorite so far.
Audioshield - fun for two people
Out of Ammo - my second favorite game, does alot of things right.
Job Simulator - Cool, funny.
House of the Dying Sun - Seemed really cool, only supports controllers, no KB+M yet... I'd have to move my IR blasters to use it effectively seated... I'd pay for a second set if I could toggle between
Fanstastic Contraption - alot of work... but fun I guess

waiting on :
giant cop
nimbus knights

Has anyone played A Legend of Luca? Seems like another one I'd enjoy.

Most games lack depth, in the way that mobile games lack depth. Great fun though.

Got the Vive about a month back. So far game list includes...

Vanishing Realms - By far my favorite so far.
Audioshield - fun for two people
Out of Ammo - my second favorite game, does alot of things right.
Job Simulator - Cool, funny.
House of the Dying Sun - Seemed really cool, only supports controllers, no KB+M yet... I'd have to move my IR blasters to use it effectively seated... I'd pay for a second set if I could toggle between
Fanstastic Contraption - alot of work... but fun I guess

waiting on :
giant cop
nimbus knights

Has anyone played A Legend of Luca? Seems like another one I'd enjoy.

Most games lack depth, in the way that mobile games lack depth. Great fun though.
Screw Giant Cop devs! They supported Vive until they took an Oculus bribe. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4nxg2e/giant_cop_no_longer_coming_to_the_vive_now_listed/

A few must have games for the Vive that are not on your list are Chair in a Room, Battle Dome, & Call of Starseed.

So I am doing testing with the Vive with several new video cards. What is the most graphically intensive game you guys have found? Hover Junkers seems fairly punishing from the titles I have been through. Just sitting in the Bar at the entry point of the game requires a lot of processing power.

Out of Ammo got its co-op update yesterday it seems. Downloading 1.5GB update now.

I think the Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR is the most punishing title. I bought it, but haven´t tried it yet. :)
Thanks, I will check it out! Got it downloading now. Has same minimum specs as Hover Junkers.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades seemed fairly intensive when you spawn a bunch of items...I was seeing some stutter on a friend's 1070 rig, not right at first but after spawning and dropping several weapons and magazines.

Last edited:
Does using the vive hardware really introduce much more strain on your gpu? I definitely whip my mouse around fast in typical FPS.
Maybe the games are just unoptimized.

Either way, House of the Dying Sun is really good.
There really needs to be a way to have two sets of IR blasters, for seated games.

Does using the vive hardware really introduce much more strain on your gpu? I definitely whip my mouse around fast in typical FPS.
Maybe the games are just unoptimized.

Either way, House of the Dying Sun is really good.
There really needs to be a way to have two sets of IR blasters, for seated games.

The Vive is two 90hz 1080x1200 displays being rendered individually. So imagine running something like Project Cars twice on 2 different 1080p monitors and getting 60 FPS MINIMUM with no drops because FPS drops cause stutter and headaches. Both Nvidia and AMD are working on new VR rendering technology to lessen the impact of rendering two separate views, I have no idea how it works though.

Not sure what you mean by the last part, depending on your setup, the blasters themselves are so powerful they engulf the entire room in IR light. I have my IR blasters installed in half the room and I am still able to have a seated experience in the corner of the room because of how powerful they are.

Last edited:
Raw Data just released!!! It is the best game I have tried on the Vive so far!! The amount for Detail, Polish, mechanics!! Everything just shines in the Vive! It has the best use of locomotion/teleport movement I have seen TO DATE on the Vive!! It's also the most expensive Vive game @ $40 and on sale for $31 for a limited time. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Raw Data just released!!! It is the best game I have tried on the Vive so far!! The amount for Detail, Polish, mechanics!! Everything just shines in the Vive! It has the best use of locomotion/teleport movement I have seen TO DATE on the Vive!! It's also the most expensive Vive game @ $40 and on sale for $31 for a limited time. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

I just bought this and horseshoes and handgrendades...still havent gotten around to hooking my vive up...but will do SOON!

H3VR is a lot of fun...watch the developer's weekly videos, there was a lot of useful stuff I didn't know just messing around.

I am so torn, I've been getting in a lot of time on my friend's Vive but I'm not sure if I want to pick one up, or wait for the Oculus Touch, or wait to see if HTC announces a 2.0 version (rumor has it it's soon).

I definitely notice the Fresnel lens "shimmering" effect on the Vive, and the focal point on each lens seems so narrow, I wonder if those will be improved in the near future.

The Vive is two 90hz 1080x1200 displays being rendered individually. So imagine running something like Project Cars twice on 2 different 1080p monitors and getting 60 FPS MINIMUM with no drops because FPS drops cause stutter and headaches. Both Nvidia and AMD are working on new VR rendering technology to lessen the impact of rendering two separate views, I have no idea how it works though.

Not sure what you mean by the last part, depending on your setup, the blasters themselves are so powerful they engulf the entire room in IR light. I have my IR blasters installed in half the room and I am still able to have a seated experience in the corner of the room because of how powerful they are.

Oh yah, I forgot about the stereoscopic nature of... vision.

I see what you mean, I just mounted mine, I get flawless tracking seated and standing. Previously I had both about 4' high on book shelves. This is so much better.

I've been having a blast with my Vive but most of the games do not have lasting power for me. I can't say anything about the 3 freebies though because HTC has yet to send me the damned codes.

EDIT: HTC wants me to send them the tracking number from my shipment before they'll send the codes. :confused:

Last edited:
Does this thing really make you feel like you're in the center of the action?

I'm using the Oculus not a Vive (yes, I've used the Vive too) but the immersion factor is incredible. Just playing a traditional third person game in VR is extremely awesome, adding roomspace motion tracking is just that much better. The only issue for me with roomspace is there just aren't a lot of traditional games for it yet. Most that are out now are closer to tech demos or Wii style games. That's not a bad thing, there is a lot f fun to be had there's just isn't much that hits that "I just want to go home after work, kick back and play a video game" itch yet. At least for me anyway.

New games (albeit mostly Early Access) are coming out every day for VR...the future seems pretty bright so far.

I am just waiting to see if a Vive 2.0 or Oculus Touch brings anything to the table before going in.

I have an Oculus here too. After using the Vive I have never taken it out of the box.

Just tried Raw Data tonight. Played through the first mission and it was really intense. Looks really good too, at the default settings it ran fine on my 980 (1.4 res modifier in the Steam VR config though).

I found myself physically diving on my floor, but in the game I was diving behind the cover of a control console while robots descended on me firing their lasers. I've dodged fire in other VR games like SPT and Holopoint, but Raw Data took it to another level. The sense of panic was real.

Horror in the Vive elevates the scare factor up 10 fold. It makes everything feel so visceral, and feel like these demons/monsters could actually hurt you. Never had a game trigger a fight or flight response like the Vive can do.

Horror in the Vive elevates the scare factor up 10 fold. It makes everything feel so visceral, and feel like these demons/monsters could actually hurt you. Never had a game trigger a fight or flight response like the Vive can do.

Third level of Raw Data when you fight those torso robots that jump at you from complete darkness, fuck that shit.

Anyone following this guys story? It's been all over the last couple days.

Reactions: Nenu
like this

I have reached out to Vive support several times without any issues whatsoever.

This guy has ZERO proof and if he does, he needs to post it.

It's not the first time I've heard about poor customer service, though I've heard it from both Vive and Oculus users so...

What settings are people using for Raw Data? I tried pushing the settings too high apparently and it crashed. I lowered things down to where it's playable and smooth but I'm a little disappointment in the image quality after hearing so many good things. I'd love to hear what other people are using. Are people running the supersampling in the config file? I had turned it off because I thought it would be too punishing. I don't have the most cutting edge PC but it's certainly no slouch. 4970K at 4.5. 32gbs Ram. 2 MSI Golden 980 TIs in SLI. (By the way is VR ever going to support SLI? Would be nice.)

I have used the online chat twice, but it was with questions, not bad hardware or money stuffs.

Both companies have atrocious customer service. There are horror stories everywhere about both sides. I think Oculus is worse though because while HTC may be inept at times Oculus customer service just doesn't give a shit and they act like they are doing you a huge favor if they decide to help you and that is fucking aggravating as all hell.

The Vive focal point does indeed seem small but from what I hear you can put the Vive lenses way closer to your eyes than on the Rift.

The Vive focal point does indeed seem small but from what I hear you can put the Vive lenses way closer to your eyes than on the Rift.
You can move the lenses but it shrinks the view a lot. It looks like tunnel vision.
It wasnt a viable option.

Just watched the vid, sounds about right.

Out of interest I searched google for vive support nightmare
vive support nightmare - Google Search
Holy cow, and thats just that one phrase which probably isnt the most common.

It would be nice if a reputable hardware site could go through normal channels to have something RMAd and publish what happens.
ie break something cheap, pay for it if needed in the end.
Ownership quality can depend heavily on support quality, especially on a new high tech device.
A metric that badly needs to be published in this case.

I actually had a good experience with HTC customer service. My 15ft video cord went out. It either got damaged by when I ran over it with my PC chair on a hard-wood floor(many times) or when my dog bit it. I reached out to customer service online chat and I told them I wanted to buy a new cord. They said I could not and I needed to RMA the existing cord. I was frustrated at first because me having to ship the cord out first would mean a longer Vive downtime as I would have to wait for them to receive it. Sent the cord in and HTC actually gave me a brand new cord and shipped it to me for free. And the whole process only took about 8 days. I was very pleased.

HTC has a way around their terrible support:

Vive Enterprise

Pay 50% more up-front, and get a couple of extra accessories and avoid their dreaded consumer support.

Note that I have not actually tried this.

Back