Grand Theft Auto V

Honestly, I'm OK with this. November is a real busy month for me with both Dragon Age and Assassins Creed coming... If this is what it takes to not have a shit PC build, so be it.

Well this is shit. My spring semester starts around that time....

Honestly, I'm OK with this. November is a real busy month for me with both Dragon Age and Assassins Creed coming... If this is what it takes to not have a shit PC build, so be it.

I'm with you. I'm looking forward to the game but I've gone this long without playing it and I have other things to keep me busy so I'm not going to act like a spoiled baby if they delay it. Hell they could pull another Red Dead Redemption and not bring it to PC at all...

Here's hoping that it's well optimized and lives up to expectations but honestly even if it turns out like GTA IV I won't be butthurt. Everyone talks about what an unoptimized mess of a port that was, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I had upper mid-range hardware at the time, and it didn't run like piss. I'm sure it wasn't a constant 60hz but it was far, far from unplayable.

Except it isn't. It's going to sit on a shelf and rot. (At least figuratively)

It *looks* like deliberate sabotage to me. We all know that thing is going to be done right along side the PS4 and XB1 versions. It's going to be deliberately withheld for 60 days and miss the holiday shopping season for absolutely no good reason.

If it were any other time of year I wouldn't think as much of it or be as suspicious or cyncial but in this case? That's my takeaway.

GTA 4 ran fine for me after a few of their patches.

RDR is probably my best game out of the now previous generation. I still play it and I'd buy it on PC if it ever did show up. Tragic that it didn't. It's Rockstar's best sandbox game. They peaked on it IMHO.

I don't understand the deliberate sabotage motive. Why would they not try their best to get this out in time for Christmas? If it came out before 2015 it would be the "must have" game on many gamers' Christmas lists (even though many have already played it, many still haven't and I'd say lots of people who have are still looking forward to the new release). Not sure why they would risk less sales by delaying it unless there was a good reason for doing so.

Unless someone here works for Rockstar and knows the real deal, we can only speculate and think that our opinions are fact. I'm just having a hard time accepting the idea that they would give up higher sales numbers just to sabotage us, or just "because." :confused: Doesn't make sense.

They really can't win so they went with the lesser of two evils. If they released the game in November and it was less than ideal then forums like this one would light up and it would be bad publicity with calls for boycotts and piracy. Bad news travels fast and spreads like the plague on the Internets.

While less than ideal, a delay to polish some things is a better option.

RDR is probably my best game out of the now previous generation. I still play it and I'd buy it on PC if it ever did show up. Tragic that it didn't. It's Rockstar's best sandbox game. They peaked on it IMHO.

QFT. The singular reason I haven't sold my X360 is because my RDR disc would have nothing to play on. So its just a dedicated RDR console now. It really was sandbox perfection, wasn't it.

That said, I think GTA5 will be worth the wait. I got about 20% into the story on the 360 version, realized it was pretty genius - especially the writing of the Trevor character - and decided I would wait for the PC version because the jaggies, low res and framerate slowdowns were killing the experience and doing the game a disservice.

As for PC optimization, people always bring up the problems GTA4 had, but that was a long time ago and meanwhile there have been titles like Max Payne 3 which ran just fine on PC - and that title used a newer version of their engine than was in GTA4. GTA5 uses an even newer engine than MP3 did, so the PC version should be fine.

If you're going to say that it's delayed for polish, please provide a quote for this assertion as else it's just conjecture. The assertion that the PC version EITHER could come out with the PS4/XB version and be broken OR later and be good is a logical fallacy. I yet to see ANY facts in support of this bizarre assertion.

I'm pretty disappointed with the delay. This fall, other than Civ Beyond Earth, feels pretty empty to me :(

PC gaming certainly seems to be getting short shrift more and more often. I'm not sure if it's "real life" getting in the way more as I get older, but gaming feels increasingly like you're either playing it on a console or late/never on PC. Maybe I'm exaggerating, just feeling bummed about this.

If you're going to say that it's delayed for polish, please provide a quote for this assertion as else it's just conjecture. The assertion that the PC version EITHER could come out with the PS4/XB version and be broken OR later and be good is a logical fallacy. I yet to see ANY facts in support of this bizarre assertion.

There won't be any.

The facts are: It will sit literally and figuratively on a shelf collecting dust for 60 days needlessly. It will be missing the holiday sales season for no good reason whatsoever.

My personal conclusion based on those facts? Sabotage or at the very least a grudge job.

The PC has been a grudge job for them for a while. I was amazed Max Payne 3 was handled as well as it was.

They don't live under a rock. If you look up any "worst PC ports" write ups right now invariably you will see GTA4 near or at the top of any list. They got a lot of heat for that because it did indeed hit the PC as a mess.

There won't be any.

The facts are: It will sit literally and figuratively on a shelf collecting dust for 60 days needlessly. It will be missing the holiday sales season for no good reason whatsoever.

My personal conclusion based on those facts? Sabotage or at the very least a grudge job.

The PC has been a grudge job for them for a while. I was amazed Max Payne 3 was handled as well as it was.

They don't live under a rock. If you look up any "worst PC ports" write ups right now invariably you will see GTA4 near or at the top of any list. They got a lot of heat for that because it did indeed hit the PC as a mess.

The fact that devs & pubs do this just to spite PC gamers seems really crazy. I wish we'd get better respect than the BS were seeing with GTA5. :(

It's only a 60 day delay. I've waited much longer for a PC release to happen before. No big deal.

damn, I wanted to play it on pc during my break from school and since its coming out so late in January, the spring semester will have started already and since I'm going to be busy I won't buy it until the summer at that point which means a steam summer sale.

Basically, I was willing to pay full price if it came out in November/December so I could play it but since they're waiting so long, I won't pay full price and they lost the revenue. I know they dont care about my piddly money but damn, rockstar has sold out bigtime. They're almost as bad as EA.

damnit, I dont know why I'm so butthurt. I think it has to do with the fact I have 2 exams and a programming assignment next wednesday and Im feeling overwhelmed.

There won't be any.

Because they hate PCs they will delay it, miss the holiday season and loose money. Seems logical. :rolleyes: My guess is they need time to polish it. It makes no sense to deliberately loose money by holding the game back.

The fact that devs & pubs do this just to spite PC gamers seems really crazy. I wish we'd get better respect than the BS were seeing with GTA5. :(

They don't do it to 'spite PC gamers', they do it to make sure everyone that can and possibly would buy the console version has done so first.

Then they extract the last pieces of coin by releasing the PC version.

I'll call it now: Delay will occur, still will release as unoptimized port.

My guess is they need time to polish it. It makes no sense to deliberately loose money by holding the game back.

Call me crazy, but I think they were holding back so as not to disappoint PC users. We will see.

They don't do it to 'spite PC gamers', they do it to make sure everyone that can and possibly would buy the console version has done so first.

Then they extract the last pieces of coin by releasing the PC version.

This logic doesn't make sense to me. I get it in the case of last gen vs current gen... in the process you'll get a number of people double dipping, resulting in greater profits. But in the case of the new version, I don't think you'll see that happening. Not when it's only a two month wait. People are either going to say fuck it and get it on console, or wait for the version they want. Once you remove the double dipping out of the equation, what's left to profit on by selling on a console vs. PC? Either way, they are selling the game for $60 on day one. What difference does it make on what platform?

I think its probably legitimate that the PC version needs more time. Rockstar has never been great with PC ports. Sometimes people seem so eager to get pissed off about something that they seem to loose sight of a very reasonable reality. The game just ain't ready on PC.

Also, I'm sure Rockstar could release a buggy but playable build in November if they really wanted to. And I'm sure they know that if they did, people would bitch about that just as much as they are bitching now that it's been further delayed. Either way, someone is pissed. The difference is, you release a shit PC port and people are going to remember for a long time. You delay by two months, and people are going to be pissed until release day rolls around, and then everyone moves on. If they set to piss people off either way, makes sense to me to stick to the way that will at least not leave such a lasting bad impression.

Either way, they are selling the game for $60 on day one. What difference does it make on what platform?

No, the reality is that console versions, on average, carry a significant price premium. If not day one, so day two. Also, there may be other considerations (like piracy -- real or not)

Also, I'm sure Rockstar could release a buggy but playable build in November if they really wanted to.

Again, fallacy.

How about they deliver the PC version in November and the PS4/Xbone next year? I'm sure they could do that if they really wanted to?

Ultimately it doesn't matter to me, I've waited this long, I'll wait till its $30 or so on the PC.

No sir. Those aren't the facts.

Q-BZ said:

More like...that's your personal conclusion based on assumptions and speculation. It's well known that at the end of the day, businesses are all about profit. It's their motivation for doing nearly everything. It's inconceivable that R* would sit on a finished copy of the PC release for two months and forego the revenue that it could generate over the holiday season "for no good reason" or as sabotage towards PC gamers. If they begrudge us so, why spend the extra time and money developing and releasing on PC anyway? They're making hundreds of millions on their console releases. It's not like they need us.

Tell you what: I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one. If you can offer any proof that they are simply squatting on the game for 2 additional months as opposed to taking the extra time to give it some additional TLC, I'll buy your copy of the game (or an equivalent game of your choice). If this isn't the case, you buy mine. Willing to take that bet? :)

I have no beef with you, admire your passion for gaming and and agree with a lot of your posts...but I think you are way off base with this one my friend.

Because they hate PCs they will delay it, miss the holiday season and loose money. Seems logical. :rolleyes: My guess is they need time to polish it. It makes no sense to deliberately loose money by holding the game back.

Stop. Stop it right now. How dare you bring sense and reason into this discussion!

Could be the case...hope not. :(

GTA V PC release date pushed to Jan 26-27th. Pissed off. Few weeks before Witcher 3 release. Fking bs.:mad:

No sir. Those aren't the facts.

They are missing the holiday shopping season. I'm not sure how that isn't going to cost them some amount of money.

More like...that's your personal conclusion based on assumptions and speculation. It's well known that at the end of the day, businesses are all about profit. It's their motivation for doing nearly everything. It's inconceivable that R* would sit on a finished copy of the PC release for two months and forego the revenue that it could generate over the holiday season "for no good reason" or as sabotage towards PC gamers. If they begrudge us so, why spend the extra time and money developing and releasing on PC anyway? They're making hundreds of millions on their console releases. It's not like they need us.

Well these are good points certainly.

I admit to a bit of cynical venting but really: A 60 day swings that misses the "critical holiday shopping season" by 30 days or so after Christmas does make me scratch my head.

I don't think there's any conspiracy theories and hopefully you and the others are right and we see something that kicks ass at the end of January. As others have said: If it hits and kicks ass everyone sails off into the sunset with smiles.

There was a lot of anger out there on Rockstar social media feeds today from PC gamers. Even I was surprised by some of it.

It just seems peculiar and yes, disappointing. I have other games to play. Great games are coming. I'm not going to sleep over it. ;)

I hope it's all worth it. :)

Tell you what: I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one. If you can offer any proof that they are simply squatting on the game for 2 additional months as opposed to taking the extra time to give it some additional TLC, I'll buy your copy of the game (or an equivalent game of your choice). If this isn't the case, you buy mine. Willing to take that bet? :)

I'll see what I can do. ;)

I have no beef with you, admire your passion for gaming and and agree with a lot of your posts...but I think you are way off base with this one my friend.

It was a nice rant, though. Ya got to give me a few style points at least. ;)

MavericK96 said:

^^
Obviously I'm not the only doom and gloomer here. ;)

I'll say this: If Maverick's prediction happens I'm going to consider collecting on that bet of yours on a technicality, imyourzero. ;)

Just an interesting antecdote: GTA 4 came out on the PC first week of December 2008. That's hard to believe it's been that long already. It's a shame that part 5 couldn't made it in time for Christmas for all the obvious reasons.

I won't purchase GTA V for PC immediately at release. I'll wait a few days or weeks for the release purchasers to reveal the bugs within. ;) :D

Odd that you'll didn't say much about my post at the bottom of page 7. I thought it was interesting at least.

I'm kind of confused, isn't that just a trailer? What does it have to do with Videocardz?

I'm kind of confused, isn't that just a trailer? What does it have to do with Videocardz?

It's on the AMD Youtube page. Which usually means that it's got some promotion involving them. Maybe not though. Maybe it's just a big time game and they're hopping on the hype train. :)

In my above post Videocardz said that there was a good chance that the game would have Mantle built into it.

And to feed my conspiracy theory more, Nvidia's Youtube channel doesn't mention GTA V as far as I can tell. They might have it somewhere else though and it is the weekend.

Want to speculate that it took DICE around 60 days to get Mantle added to BF4? And GTA V looks to be a bigger game as it comes out all at once instead of DLC packages over the course of a year like BF4. The AMD PR guy Richard Huddy was saying it now takes 1.5 months to implement Mantle from scratch I believe. Which fits the timetable that the game is delayed on the PC perfectly.

If it's added to the AMD Evolved program, then I would speculate (by rubbing Huddy's bald head of course) that it would be done as a limited edition promotion on the flagship card. 290X was the BF4 card of choice. Will we see a R9 390X by then?

Of course all of this is a pile of BS that I brainstormed. :D But it is neat to think about. :)

Could be the case...hope not. :(

Me to. I have never played a GTA even though I have GTA4. Never bothered with it. The gameplay looks a bit now and the shooting looks terrible. I'll probably play it eventually.

Regardless, I am looking forward to GTA5 because it does look like a nice game. But I am tired of poor PC ports from big budget studios. Though it honestly does seem like they are putting some effort into it.

Hadn't even realized this puts the PC version around Witcher 3 times. Makes it even easier.

Apparently they have a blog post saying it's for polish, but isn't that always the case? For some reason the console versions always need less polish apparently (hint: no they don't, they're just prioritized)

eh..i'm really lost on what to play until this comes out.
Is gta 4 still a piss poor port? or did they patch it decently enough?

No, the reality is that console versions, on average, carry a significant price premium. If not day one, so day two. Also, there may be other considerations (like piracy -- real or not)

Console games and PC games all start at the same price (with very limited exceptions, of which GTA V certainly is not one). PC games are obviously going to drop in price much faster and be subject to discounts much sooner (especially digitally). I don't see this as being a factor though (or at least, I don't feel it should be). We've all been waiting long enough that the majority of people are going to buy it on the platform they want it on and the price they are willing to pay. So, all the PC players saying wait for a Steam sale, my guess is they would do that whether the game launches in November or January. People who are willing to pay full price would have done so regardless of platform in November. I can't imagine a scenario where you've got a PC player that only would have paid $30 on sale on PC who's suddenly going to say fuck it and spend $60 on the console version because of a two month delay.

Maybe a person or two. Maybe. Not a measurable amount of people. Certainly not enough to willingly sabotage a games release and piss off an entire platform of players. That's completely illogical. If anything, Piracy is a much more valid reason, and in this scenario it's realer than usual with a PC vs. console release. Seeing as neither of these new systems can run pirated games, I could see the argument being put out that they wanted to get the game out first on a platform they know people cannot pirate on. By the same logic as above though, still seems a bit silly. Pirates will pirate, and the amount of pirates that you will turn into legit sales on a console will be a small number, again not worth pissing off an entire platform of players IMO

Again, fallacy.

How about they deliver the PC version in November and the PS4/Xbone next year? I'm sure they could do that if they really wanted to?

Ultimately it doesn't matter to me, I've waited this long, I'll wait till its $30 or so on the PC.

Sure they could, but that's an absurd suggestion. The console version is going to outsell PC probably 5 to 1. That's how this industry works, we all know it. Assuming the case actually is that Rockstar is not able to deliver three fully baked builds in November, the idea that they would cater first to the least profitable platform is absurd. Rockstar is a business, their goal is to make money, they aren't release games as a favor to you. It's perfectly sensible to launch first on a platform that's going to give the fastest return on all the cash they have put into this release over the past year.

The point of all this? It's a business move, nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who thinks it's a purposeful slight against PC gamers needs to take a step back and think about it a little more objectively. I get it, people are pissed that their platform is choice is getting slighted, but I think that's clouding some peoples rationality. There's no reason for Rockstar to delay the game just because they want to spite you. PC ports need more attention. By nature of being an open platform, they are buggier and perform poorly, and take more time and money to get right. Given that it's the least profitable platform, how can anyone blame them for making that a lower priority.

I'm not happy about it either, but I understand it from a purely business standpoint. The game is coming, and come January it's not going to matter. Relax and enjoy it when it comes out ;)

I slept on it and I still feel fairly cynical.

For some reason I absolutely see "Spring 2015" March/April 2015 for GTA 5 on the PC.

It gives the PS4 and XB1 a nice "quarter" or so worth of time to sit out there and that's why I agree with you and I personally expect to see that delay as well. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm playing this on the PC at the end of January.

This is a fact regardless of anything else: It's all about the consoles first and foremost come hell or high water and that's really been the underlying thrust to all of my posts on this subject.

QC and QA on the PC version? Perhaps. I hope so. I don't see that as the primary reason for the delay nor do I have any concrete reason to believe that as of yet.

I was amazed how good GTA 5 ran and looked on the PS3 for what it was and given the hardware involved so the PC version could really be something special. I am licking my chops thinking about it. I think people that even swap up to the PS4 and XB1 versions will be appreciative and glad they did.

If you think some of the "cynicism" "speculation" "jumping to conclusions" and "doom and gloom" is bad in this thread... we're a tame bunch. I'm actually pretty impressed with us. :)

Go on Rockstar's social media feeds for this news and you'll see what real ranting, whining, conspiracy theory, and spleen venting is really all about. It's not even close.

Here's a hint: Relatively few PC gamers coming on those are buying this delay's primary reason being about QC and QA on the PC version.

infojunkie said:
eh..i'm really lost on what to play until this comes out.
Is gta 4 still a piss poor port? or did they patch it decently enough?

Like a lot of other games...some people had more problems than others from day one to even now. For me personally after they sent a couple of fairly robust patches my problems went away.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1773669/unable-change-gta-graphics-settings.html

^^ Just do this if you get it. Scour for good mods and tweaks and it's a nice game. It's a good sandbox game. It still has a lot going for it even though it hasn't aged very well in some respects.

Better games have come out since GTA 4. Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs and in some ways, yes, even some of the latter Saints Row games did some things better depending on your mood.

If you haven't played them I would absolutely recommend Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs hands down over GTA4 to anyone.

Back