Grand Theft Auto V

I thought we are now in a post-drm era of PC gaming?

There are many places to put your game in front of paying customers.

Actually we're in an age where the majority of PC gamers accept DRM. Steam itself is DRM and most of us use it and don't care.

Actually we're in an age where the majority of PC gamers accept DRM. Steam itself is DRM and most of us use it and don't care.

Because it's unintrusive and just works 99.9% of the time. Layering more DRM on top just gives more potential points of failure.

Because it's unintrusive and just works 99.9% of the time. Layering more DRM on top just gives more potential points of failure.

Yes and that's why I make sure to get UPlay codes for Ubisoft games and don't buy games anymore unless they're either from GOG or they activate on one of the major digital platforms. Thankfully it looks like the multiple layers of DRM isn't going to be an issue here.

Yes and that's why I make sure to get UPlay codes for Ubisoft games and don't buy games anymore unless they're either from GOG or they activate on one of the major digital platforms. Thankfully it looks like the multiple layers of DRM isn't going to be an issue here.

Buying games for specific services is the way I prefer it as well. I have Steam, Uplay, Origin, Desura, & Battle.net installed just to make sure I'm getting the most out of my games. Eliminates the need for redundant DRM.

I personally just like the normal Steam DRM. I hate having to have all of these separate download services with their own DRMs. Just give me normal Steamworks and call it done.

Wow even on the console the first person mode looks very impressive. Gonna have to get this again on PC. First person cops and robbers online for the win!

Trying so hard to avoid impulse buying this for my XB1. Must hold out for PC release in January.

GTA 4 wasn't exactly optimised at release, but these specs might be entirely bullshit, then again the MP3 team seemed to do a decent job of the PC version.

Why do I have a feeling the game will not be released on January 27th?

Why wouldn't it be? I really don't see why people are creating all these delay theories based entirely on one tiny thing like specs not being announced before they went on holiday vacation. There is literally nothing else to indicate that it won't release on the 27th. Physical copies are available for pre-order, Yesterday Game in the UK tweeted a picture of a promo box they got for the PC version (here)

I think the fear of the game not being released on time relates to the Steam release date going from January 27th to "Early 2015" and a comment in their forums. A dev responded to questions with "We have not announced a delay" instead of "there is no delay."
Maybe it's nothing, but I think PC gamers have learned to expect thing kind of thing.

I think the fear of the game not being released on time relates to the Steam release date going from January 27th to "Early 2015" and a comment in their forums. A dev responded to questions with "We have not announced a delay" instead of "there is no delay."
Maybe it's nothing, but I think PC gamers have learned to expect thing kind of thing.

Except Stream never said January 27th. What happened over New Years was it went from Early 2017 to Coming Soon for about a day. Then it switched back to Early 2017. The post from Rockstar was "GTAV will be coming to PC on January 27th. We have not announced any changes to this date at this time." The last sentence is PR speak, giving them an out in the event that plans change prior to release. It doesn't really mean anything other than that the person posting is likely a PR person or someone trained in PR responses. There has been quite a bit of activity on the game from people (most likely testers) playing the last few days. Last month Rockstar also stated that they were in the final stages of development on the game, meaning it's close to being finished.

It could still get delayed, but this close to release with no real signs of anything it is unlikely.

Steam always said 'early 2015". Never did it say the exact date of release.

will my i7 6 core 5670 and 98gtx sli run this game fine on 2560x1600 res?

Based on the fact that we have gotten zero information on the PC version, I'm going to say no, it won't be able to run it even at the lowest settings.

SLI 98GTX? That won't even start the game. It'll just crash and make a frowny face.

didn't know Broadwell was here already either!

On a serious note: I am all for stupid specs to run the game, but it better run well at those specs, and not like GTA4....

They must have some sort of brain malfunction...
That is not a clear answer, that is just yet another vague PR BS statement.

As it stands, there have been no announced delays

'No announced delays' just means they haven't announced a delay, not that there won't be a delay. Really, how hard is it for them to say: 'There will be no delay' ? If they aren't planning on delaying it, what's keeping them from saying so DIRECTLY?

Scumbags.

Last edited:
The way that's phrased isn't encouraging at all. If that is a PR person, that's clearly not his specialty. If there truly isn't a delay, he could have said that any number of ways (that still give them a way out) while not sounding like a delay announcement is on the way any minute.

I wouldn't care if they did delay it as that means that the chances of it working properly on day one will go up astronomically. Complaining about a possible delay is what drives UBISOFT to release their bug fests as the consumers want it now and on time regardless of if they can actually use and thus enjoy it.

Go shovel some snow for fun until it's ready. :)

I wouldn't care if they did delay it as that means that the chances of it working properly on day one will go up astronomically. Complaining about a possible delay is what drives UBISOFT to release their bug fests as the consumers want it now and on time regardless of if they can actually use and thus enjoy it.

Go shovel some snow for fun until it's ready. :)

I'm glad someone else gets it. I don't get why people get so upset about stuff like this, but devs seem to often be presented with a lose-lose scenario. Release game two months after consoles? Everyone rages and cries sabotage. Because it's totally unbelievable that the PC version may just need more time.

Now, if we assume they are having issues with the PC version, they have two choices. Release on time with issues = everyone rages about how shitty the port is despite coming out late. Delay the game = everyone rages that R* is purposely fucking up the game to spite the glorious PC master race.

I'd rather see the game get delayed if such an action was necessary to ensure a well optimized product. We don't need another Unity situation, and I've got plenty of other shit to keep my busy. No one is going to shrivel up and die because the game doesn't hit it's release target.

Found this link on Reddit in the Pc Master Race section, I don't know if it's true or not, I'm skeptical of R* releasing the game on time though.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gta_v_will_get_icehancer_mod/1

People keep posting this everywhere I go like Hayssam is some insider to Rockstar...he is pretty much just echoing what everyone else is saying about the game with regards to modding: Yes, people will make mods, if they can.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be shocked if mod support isn't implemented, and in fact, heavily prohibited. Rockstar already has to deal with tons of hackers/modders on the previous and current consoles, on top of implementing a DRM system that can't be removed without disabling parts of the game. It isn't anything at all like GTA4, where you could remove GFWL and RGSC and the file structure of the game is left wide open. Hell, GTA4's archive files could be opened with 7zip and notepad and only a few lines would be needed to change entire characteristics of the game.

But people need to get real: the engine that drives GTA5 is more in line with Max Payne 3, which was very hard to crack. In fact, just googling "Max Payne 3 Mods" kicks back almost nothing save for a few skin changes.

I'm excited for the release of the game and I've intentionally avoided playing too much of it with my friends on their systems, but the ravenous online community wanting to "mod the crap outta it" need to start being a bit more realistic with regards to how much can actually be done. ENB/Ice might be the only thing to really work, but only just because it hooks into DX9/11 calls, and that's only going to work if Rockstar's DRM doesn't scan active memory.

Back