GeForce Partner Program Impacts Consumer Choice

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Worth noting, not one single site has contacted me about this except PCWorld. Doing a live interview with them at 12:30pm CDT today.

EDIT: And actually this guy just reached out to speak with me on this.

2. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Will you have a link to the stream?

3. Kyle_Bennett

I assume I will. I will put it up on the news page if I have time.

4. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

Yes. AMD does have a legal right. Remember AMD vs Intel? AMD won that lawsuit in Japan, the US, and the EU. The courts found the agreements were made specifically to hurt AMD so AMD was able to legally argue the program was designed to be anti-competitive in nature. I don't see any difference here...

Party A and B are in competition.

Both use AIB's C D and E

Party A negotiates a deal with C D and E to specifically exclude Party B. That's anti-competitive behavior, according to the courts in the US, Japan, and the EU (Intel lost in all 3 countries)

Darth Kyrie and Algrim like this.
  5. noko

noko 2[H]4U

GPP sounds like a launch will be around the corner for gaming PCs. Since branding seems to be oh so important. What 3-6 months now to work everything out?

I still think what hurt A M D more is themselves, delivering late and just not delivering the levels needed.

This could backfire big for NVidia. Intel and AMD could put gaming into their brands as part of the scew.

6. Silent Scone

Silent Scone n00bie

It's not hard, at all. It is if you're a journalist poking around, trying to jump the gun. Sounds like [H] have absolutely no idea how this affects GPU rebranding. This is going to be forgotten before you can say "controversial AMD Chinese whispers".

7. SimianRob

SimianRob [H]Lite

It's interesting that instead of making a statement to the community to clear up any misconceptions about the GPP program NVIDIA is instead apparently contacting websites and trying to get them to dismiss or put a negative spin on the story. If it was all just a big misunderstanding and there was nothing to hide why have they been so quiet? Especially considering Kyle reached out to them for comment quite awhile ago.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    10e, noko, IKV1476 and 3 others like this.
  8. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe NVidia is putting the (wood) screws to the other websites to stay quiet

rgMekanic likes this.
  9. MarkVI

MarkVI Limp Gawd

Thanks again to Kyle for this. I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 1080 to replace my aging 290X. Now, I'll wait till this shit storm settles or until AMD puts something appealing on the market.

10. Anarchist4000

Anarchist4000 [H]ard|Gawd

Keep in mind it's more than just AMD that would be affected. Intel currently would have KabyG that would ideally fall under the gaming brands. Then consider the time to actually litigate the case. If Intel had any desire to make a dGPU for gaming purposes, the ensuing case MIGHT be finished by the time they had a product ready. That's not allowing for one of the mobile companies, Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, etc releasing some sort of "gaming" hardware that may be applicable.

11. Kyle_Bennett

Please explain. I would like to hear your insights on what you think we have missed. Many thanks.

12. Bankie

Bankie [H]ard|Gawd

Intel - AMD were different; Intel was hit for blocking OEMs from selling AMD hardware. NV isn't stopping companies from selling AMD hardware; they specifically state that these companies can still sell AMD hardware. NV is trying to take control of the marketing.

There is already legal precedent for this. Look at storefronts that sell mobile services; If you're a Verizon only store you'll get extra help with marketing, support, and other bonuses but the minute you switch to selling another carrier in addition to Verizon all of those benefits go away.

13. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

Problem with doing anti competitive things is invites the other side to do so as well. Could we see retaliation by detecting a non genuine AMD or Intel video system, thus providing a less then ideal path for Nvidia cards and hurting their performance. That is a possible outcome that would be bad for everyone.

14. 777

777 [H]Lite

You're discounting the very real possibility that the documents you looked at might have been faked on a sound stage in the Arizona desert.

JMccovery and Jim Kim like this.
  15. ChadD

ChadD I Love TEXAS

Give me a break... don't be stupid.

Yes multiple OEM employees all got together over drinks and said hey lets F that [H] guy over.

noko, Darth Kyrie, rgMekanic and 3 others like this.
  16. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

I think he was commenting sarcastically.

JMccovery, Templar_X, Montu and 5 others like this.
  17. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

This keeps getting better.

18. ChadD

ChadD I Love TEXAS

You may be right Never post on a forum before you have your morning coffee.

If that was sarcastic. (that seems quite likely) I apologize.

SvenBent, Jim Kim and notarat like this.
  19. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

That's how conspiracies are Made :D:D

ChadD likes this.
  20. humbug

humbug n00bie

Why would NVidia do this?

Well,
    It really is as simple as this, nVidia may want AMD to take them to court, why? so they can bury AMD in expensive legal fees they can i'll afford, basically the idea is do something to a weaker competitor that will kill them off from lack of sales or money, like really anti competitive and destructive actions, if AMD don't take legal action over it they sink, if AMD do take legal action over it nVidia will make sure its as expensive as possible and drags on for as long as it takes for them to run out of money, either way AMD sink and nVidia pick over the dead carcass.

Think that sounds too ridiculous? it happens all the time, so when people ask in confusion "why would nVidia do this, they already have 85% market share????" well that's why.

21. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

3 Conspiracy Theorists walk into a bar

You can't tell me that was just coincidence!

22. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 [H]Lite

You're argument might ....and I stress the might.... have had merit if you were talking about a pre Ryzen AMD. But you're not. Ryzen has given AMD both sales...More Money... and renewed confidence. Infact even the pre Ryzen AMD was not a company in financial difficulty. Their debt was managed and sustainable. They had, they thought a wining cpu in development and their gpu range though lacking a top tier winner has/does match nVidia from the 1070 down. And you're really never far away from the next gen, right?

What's more this isn't just going to affect AMD. Intel are developing a dgpu and now of course have AMD graphics tech sitting along side their cpu's. Ever heard of the saying 'My enemy's enemy is my friend'? That works for both AMD and Intel right now.

23. Kyle_Bennett

PCWorld Live Interview at 12:30p CDT. Live on HardOCP news page.

Mugato likes this.
  24. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

I thought you'd find the time to post that. ;)

25. anon2020

anon2020 n00bie

That is what everyone here is saying, but then I read this from
    https://pcgamesn.com/nvidia-geforce-partner-program-amd-impact

"Graphics card companies can then have as many brands as they like, so long as they are separated along green and red boundaries. That means Asus could have a Republic of Gamers Mars brand, which only sells Nvidia, but also a Republic of Gamers Ares brand that is exclusively AMD-based. GPP isn’t going to stop any company from selling AMD GPUs as specifically gaming graphics cards."

So which is correct?

26. anon2020

anon2020 n00bie

777 said:
    You're discounting the very real possibility that the documents you looked at might have been faked on a sound stage in the Arizona desert.

You didn't get the obvious fake moon landing reference there? ;)

27. ChadD

ChadD I Love TEXAS

Lack of coffee... hey perhaps, this whole issue was caused by NV legal team not having theirs. :) lol

28. Silent Scone

Silent Scone n00bie

Ok, so do you have any knowledge of how vendors plan to rebrand yet? That is to say, without knowing how vendors plan on restructuring their product, aren't you just creating an ominous cloud over something that hasn't even come to light yet? You've said yourself you've heard next to nothing from board partners. Considering this is who this partnership is aimed at, seems like a deliberate oversight from [H] simply on the basis of getting this story out there before it breaks.

A lot of "this could" "we could see". There's enough hearsay in this industry already, don't you think.

29. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle, would like to ask you a question, you mention agreed upon brand in the live stream when reading the GPP. Is it possible that the 'agreed upon brand' could just be one line rather than all 'gaming' products?

30. pek

pek prairie dog

Well this, and GenMay.

rgMekanic likes this.
  31. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle, and most other journalists, are not lawyers so even having seen the document there is some debate about whether or not the program is legal or not.

The only way for sure would be for the actual contract to be leaked but I would suspect each NV partner has a unique version of the document that could be tracked back to them. This will probably have to be pulled in as evidence in a lawsuit and manage to stay unsealed before we see this (but trade secrets, etc usually get treated as sealed evidence...)

EDIT: Illegal or not its still pretty nasty and just adds to the list of reasons I usually buy red

32. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

I think it's pretty obvious that sites don't want to get their sampling privileges taken away by directly producing copy that paints Nvidia in a bad light, however, linking to the Hardocp story, is the most many of them are willing to put their 'necks' out for this story so far. This may even be more of a reflection of how most of the hardware sites are just meta news agencies that post reviews, and meta collected news taken from actual content creators, instead of actually creating real content to add something to the industry. It's one thing to say you don't care for how a cooling solution is implemented on a videocard, but outright claiming illegal business practices is a different class in and of itself.

Great video interview for anyone else watching the pc world stream.

N4CR, 10e, Darth Kyrie and 3 others like this.
  33. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Ah the Fonz. We all know you planned inferring that Nvidia is, you know, young gals ;).

(Edit - from the interview for those that didn't listen in)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  34. Kyle_Bennett

Wow, I was a bit nervous the first few minutes, has been a while since I did anything live. Used to hiding behind my keyboard.

35. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Thought you did really well. It was unbiased and accurate. Well other than the Dyson sucks joke. Dyson's are fantastic!

36. Fuzzy Logik

Fuzzy Logik [H]ard|Gawd

You were young and your heart...was an open book...

Sith'ari likes this.
  37. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

Of course they suck. All vacuums do (at least when they work).

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  38. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

39. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Chino at TPU said (wrt Turing mining card) "NVIDIA partners are now forbidden to promote activities related to cryptocurrency mining and to sell bulks of consumer graphics cards to cryptominers" is this also related to GPP? Or is Turing still rumor, heck if I know.

(btw it sucks text searching for turing, featuring and manufacturing ...)

40. Kyle_Bennett