Dishonored

not having to re-do it because you failed doing it the first time sounds like the type of catering to gamers that is more and more common nowadays. there is no accomplishment in saving the game so you can try it as many times until you get it 100%. If I get silent assassin on hitman its because I tried until I was actually a silent assassin because silent assassins dont get re-dos this isnt four square!

Some people do not play single player games for the accomplishment, some of us just want to experience an interactive story and so re-doing areas has no value, it just serves to be irritating.

Having quick saves caters to BOTH crowds not just one, if you want to use quick saves then you can, if you don't want to then simply don't hit the quick save key...

I have to say, I am completely engrossed in this. Not really by the story, but by the different ways I can do things (gameplay). When I am in the middle of a courtyard and I look down at all the patrols, I think of each different method I want to use to accomplish my goal.

...then I make a horrible mistake and the guards catch me. :-(

Oh this reminds me of playing MGS for the first time. Though, when I played MGS the first time - I really, really liked the story and this story isn't as fun. Maybe because it isn't plausible in any way. ;)

Sorry, I play ARMA2 almost exclusivly, the farthest thing from a console port.

Cartoony to the point that it feels Disney.
Im not one to put visuals over gameplay, but this is shitty console visuals that looked average half a decade ago.
ok, so the controls dont feel fully console, except that there is use of a console number of keys....and everything with glows or has the universal console "[F]" to use crap. Im sure its geared towards teens, but I dont get the steampunk vibe much at all.
I have put a few hours into it now and its average at best. I wish it had more atmosphere and my opinion is a more modern engine(not a straight console port) and different art style would add the grit thats needed for the steampunk feel.
The gameplay gets better, but only slightly...I find the story weak and the glowing doors and items juvenile.

5/10 I was really hoping for more. Perhaps I set my expectations too high.
$14....$59.99 MSRP is ridiculous.

It's too bad, because it was $45 on greenman, and people have found it for as low as $40 at other places with coupons. The $60 is too much argument doesn't exist anymore, when games have coupons ALL the time.

It's too bad, because it was $45 on greenman, and people have found it for as low as $40 at other places with coupons. The $60 is too much argument doesn't exist anymore, when games have coupons ALL the time.

Doesn't matter because he values the game at $14, so he would complain anyway.

this game is way too short, just a heads up. although, i guess a great game couldn't ever be long enough.

not having to re-do it because you failed doing it the first time sounds like the type of catering to gamers that is more and more common nowadays.

Actually "nowadays" it's mostly checkpoints and no forced saving at all. Back in the day there were way more games with quicksave.

I'm at what I think is the final area of the game, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Having trouble sleeping has it's benefits! (more gaming time :) )

This is definitely high up on my list of favorite games this year. On to X-Com shortly after this..

strange game. I have no kills, yet the guards often disappear. I believe rats are eating them, or the game glitches too many bodies.

Sorry, I play ARMA2 almost exclusivly, the farthest thing from a console port.

Cartoony to the point that it feels Disney.
Im not one to put visuals over gameplay, but this is shitty console visuals that looked average half a decade ago.
ok, so the controls dont feel fully console, except that there is use of a console number of keys....and everything with glows or has the universal console "[F]" to use crap. Im sure its geared towards teens, but I dont get the steampunk vibe much at all.
I have put a few hours into it now and its average at best. I wish it had more atmosphere and my opinion is a more modern engine(not a straight console port) and different art style would add the grit thats needed for the steampunk feel.
The gameplay gets better, but only slightly...I find the story weak and the glowing doors and items juvenile.

5/10 I was really hoping for more. Perhaps I set my expectations too high.
$14....$59.99 MSRP is ridiculous.

An ArmA player complaining about the mechanics and feel of an engine. That's rich.

An ArmA player complaining about the mechanics and feel of an engine. That's rich.

The game where it takes 3-4 steps just to pick up a box of ammo. I sure hope they improve on some of that nonsense for part 3.

Is this game perfect? Of course not. But damn where it does well it REALLY does well.

Max the difficulty out, turn of the handholders, and don't play run and gun style and you'll have a wonderful time. Guaranteed.

Tweakge: http://gamingbolt.com/dishonored-tweaks-how-to-change-field-of-view-fov-hide-hud-remove-intro-movies

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-improve-dishonored-with-ini-file-tweaks/

http://crashwiki.com/dishonored-errors-performance-tweaks-launch-crash-unable-to-sync/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964837

He's complaining about it feeling like a console port. I don't think anyone can argue that ArmA 2 feels anything like a console port.

The game where it takes 3-4 steps just to pick up a box of ammo. I sure hope they improve on some of that nonsense for part 3.

It's not really "nonsense" because it's not really a shooter. And they are improving the UI but no, you still have to get into a crate to get ammo. It's a sim mechanic because the game is part sim.

I think his overall point about ArmA 2 is that it's about as "PC" a title as you can get. Tons of graphics options, tons of mods, tons of control options. Obviously Dishonored and ArmA 2 aren't really even in the same genre, but that wasn't the point.

this is legit. i took my time. did side quests, explored, got every rune/bone charm to be had. i didn't even kill any guards, instead found a way around them. i even read the damn books.

even so, it's a short game. there's like 5/6 levels, and half of them are the same thing (albeit completely different). i guess i didn't really even pay attention to how long it took me.. i'm saying i would have been happier with another set (or five) of targets to gut and maps to explore. :D

Why are people comparing Dishonored and ArmA 2? Seriously not sure where that argument is going.

I've been playing Dishonored for a few days now and I've enjoyed it but I don't think its fantastic and a "game" changer. Its fun but also kinda vapid. I don't really care about the characters at all and they all seem kind of "fluffed" and too fake. The story is decent but not something I'm really hooked on. Just average.

I wish it was an open world game , Dishonored would have been just so much better if that was so. But I would give it a solid 7/10 , If I had a choice again I wouldn't pay full price for it , I would wait for a sale . However don't take that as "avoiding" the game , its a good experience.

Why are people comparing Dishonored and ArmA 2? Seriously not sure where that argument is going.

I've been playing Dishonored for a few days now and I've enjoyed it but I don't think its fantastic and a "game" changer. Its fun but also kinda vapid. I don't really care about the characters at all and they all seem kind of "fluffed" and too fake. The story is decent but not something I'm really hooked on. Just average.

I wish it was an open world game , Dishonored would have been just so much better if that was so. But I would give it a solid 7/10 , If I had a choice again I wouldn't pay full price for it , I would wait for a sale . However don't take that as "avoiding" the game , its a good experience.

But there were sales..?

I'm pretty psyched to play it this weekend, I think I'll play it on my big screen to make it more epic. I think the nature of the game makes it deserving of the big screen. :)

walking feels like I'm hopping around for some reason...like the ground is not stable...really notice it when jumping off something

also wish you could pickpocket/loot unconscious enemies...after I do a non-lethal takedown I can no longer loot the bodies

My only problem with a game like this is that run and gun players are not rewarded. A game with a very good shooting/attack system a long with stealth and magic abilitys would reward all types of play equally, shooting and killing your opponents should just be made as hard as hell sort of like Deus Ex.

I'm in the same boat as the other people that are going to wait until the game hits the bargain bin, too short and the game being fun only if you play stealthy and is not challenging enough otherwise is a killer for me.

Dion felt I was out of touch with PC gaming due to my reference to the games controls.
Im an ARMA2 player, and as far as Im concerned, its the farthest thing from a console game and nearly the purest form of PC gaming...I figure Im not out of touch with PC gaming.
See below:
I think his overall point about ArmA 2 is that it's about as "PC" a title as you can get. Tons of graphics options, tons of mods, tons of control options. Obviously Dishonored and ArmA 2 aren't really even in the same genre, but that wasn't the point.

And torrents, but the point was the MSRP of $60 for a console port....shit, anything with an engine this outdated, is ridiculous.

I had high hopes for the game, but like I said, the combat feels cartoony and extremely simple.
The stealth is weak compared to 1998's Thief.
Concept art was cool, but the visuals are extremely disappointing. Im not all about visuals, but bioshock looked better. I think that in 2012, $60msrp should get you atleast 2010 graphics.
Im down with steampunk, but cartoon steampunk doesnt work at all. Had they gone for a non-cartoon art style, I would have been much more into it.

I had hoped for an updated steampunk thief game, but so much rubbed me wrong that I find it a very poor game. Concept gets top marks, execution not so much.
I am glad however, that my disappointment with a game gets some people very butthurt :)

so the controls dont feel fully console, except that there is use of a console number of keys....and everything with glows or has the universal console "[F]" to use crap.

what

What key do you think is next to WASD? :confused: (protip: it's F, and they use Q/E for leaning) What part of F doesn't make sense?

what

What key do you think is next to WASD? :confused: (protip: it's F, and they use Q/E for leaning) What part of F doesn't make sense?

I'm going to modify my keyboard by ripping out random keys and putting xbox buttons on them. It needs to be done.

Each of Arkane's games have been a bit clunky and have had outdated graphics. There's nothing new there. That said, each of their games have been some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, even with all the quirks, bugs, old graphics, etc.

My only problem with a game like this is that run and gun players are not rewarded.

Isn't like 80% of the upgrades for your weapons, i.e mostly useless for stealth play. Not reward enough?

I rather think R'n'G players shouldn't be rewarded. There's an easy way to do things and a hard way. The hard way should be more rewarding, the easy way less so. It's a feature. I hope that's how this plays.

I think the reason you CAN play the game R'n'G-style is because good combat is needed to handle the stealth fail states, and that the developers are dishonest when they imply it's somehow "an equally valid approach".

Killing more people increases you chaos, and high chaos leads to a different (or at least slightly tweaked) ending, I'm going to bet that the high chaos ending is "the bad ending". Go figure, eh.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the people thay have not been totally impressed with the game...I'm still very early and hoping it gets really good once the actual assassination missions start (which is the part I'm currently up to)...all those lofty reviews praising the game as an all time great can't be wrong...right?

the game has gotten much, much better now that I completed the 1st assassination mission

Last edited:
the game has gotten much, much better now that I completed the 1st assassination mission

It does. This thing starts out slow and modest. No question about it.

I do feel like there are situations where things can get a bit easy especially if you want to be a Rambo killing machine however supplies are not in super abundance.

I'm playing at max difficulty with all the menu hand holding options turned off and overall I've had a pretty damned rewarding experience.

Think I will try turning on vsync for this one, my GPU fan is spinning up uncharacteristically from time to time.

Think I will try turning on vsync for this one, my GPU fan is spinning up uncharacteristically from time to time.

Use a frame cap instead. In low poly/visual quality games like this one it always fixes it, whereas vsync is variable. :D

I do feel like there are situations where things can get a bit easy especially if you want to be a Rambo killing machine however supplies are not in super abundance

agreed...I was playing a total stealth non lethal character but 90% of the way through the 1st assassination mission I ran out of sleep darts...scavenged everywhere and couldn't find enough to continue as stealth so I had to kill 2 enemies using lethal incendiary darts (couldn't sneak up behind them for non-lethal takedowns either as they had dogs with them)...sucks that my 100% stealth had to end but the game only gives you a limited amount of ammo (10 max for most weapons)

I love the options/choices the game gives you...instead of assassinating my 1st target I ended up knocking him out, strapping him to that chair and branding him which was fun

I seriously can't decide if I want to do Granny's dirty errands. Damned it.

Starter tip: 100 credits can be found in the half-sunken boat just off the coast where you arrive at the bar in the beginning.

agreed...I was playing a total stealth non lethal character but 90% of the way through the 1st assassination mission I ran out of sleep darts...scavenged everywhere and couldn't find enough to continue as stealth so I had to kill 2 enemies using lethal incendiary darts (couldn't sneak up behind them for non-lethal takedowns either as they had dogs with them)...sucks that my 100% stealth had to end but the game only gives you a limited amount of ammo (10 max for most weapons)

I love the options/choices the game gives you...instead of assassinating my 1st target I ended up knocking him out, strapping him to that chair and branding him which was fun

Can't you increase your ammo carry count by upgrading?

probably?...but since I was early in the game I didn't have that upgrade option...either way once you get to the 1st assassination area it's easier to finish all your missions rather then trek all the way back to that bar level to upgrade weapons...I couldn't find any merchant selling ammo in that area either

You can upgrade regular bolts, not the sleep darts. I found though I barely used them except when you have multiple infected together. It is easy to get patterns and choke them when they are turning corners. it takes a bit longer to do. I learned how from playing velvet assassin which in some ways was a similar stealth game (but with guns, no magic

Yes.

probably?...but since I was early in the game I didn't have that upgrade option...either way once you get to the 1st assassination area it's easier to finish all your missions rather then trek all the way back to that bar level to upgrade weapons...I couldn't find any merchant selling ammo in that area either

There's some old guy you rescue out of a house that becomes a friendly ammo merchant for you.

This is why you have to explore and listen, folks. ;)

Do sidequests, too. Granny's quests and so forth. You'll get runes and goodies that way. :)

Back