Dishonored

There's some old guy you rescue out of a house that becomes a friendly ammo merchant for you.

This is why you have to explore and listen, folks. ;)

Do sidequests, too. Granny's quests and so forth. You'll get runes and goodies that way. :)

I found that guy but he also was not in the immediate area of that assassination point so it would have been a pain to have to trek all the way back there just to buy a few sleep darts...I've done all the side quests I could find and discovered most (but not all) of the secret locations and stashes...exploration is half the fun in games like this

I really like the Possession power...shapeshifting into dogs, rats is fun...the Dark Void and Blink powers are pretty much mandatory

I found that guy but he also was not in the immediate area of that assassination point so it would have been a pain to have to trek all the way back there just to buy a few sleep darts...

I really like the Possession power...shapeshifting into dogs, rats is fun...the Dark Void and Blink powers are pretty much mandatory

Well, I just finished "High Overseer Campbell" (2nd mission), and the stats screen at the end shows I missed a painting, so... I think I will have to do a little trek back. Fucking OCD. Hard to imagine I missed out on nearly half of the gold too!

I've found that I'm not using Dark Void that much, and that's the only power besides Blink that I had upgraded during that mission.

EDIT: Phew, it was actually much quicker to go back than I thought.

Last edited:
Well, I just finished "High Overseer Campbell" (2nd mission), and the stats screen at the end shows I missed a painting, so... I think I will have to do a little trek back. Fucking OCD. Hard to imagine I missed out on nearly half of the gold too!

I've found that I'm not using Dark Void that much, and that's the only power besides Blink that I had upgraded during that mission.

EDIT: Phew, it was actually much quicker to go back than I thought.

I use Dark Void a lot as it makes locating and tracing enemy movement critical for my stealth play...especially when you can use it to look through walls and doors...you can even trace enemy eyesight

I wish you could view that stats screen during the mission as it would make it easier to collect everything...they do show you how many runes and bone charms are in the area during a mission but they don't tell you the paintings, shrines etc...I don't worry about collecting all the gold as that's a little too OCD for me...as long as I have enough to make my upgrades/purchases I'm good

I rely more on sound and leaning to see and track enemies. You're basically invisible when you lean (might be different at higher difficulties).

leaning is fine, DV though you can keep objects between you and the guard until you are ready for the capture. As for stats, it would be useful, but not because of OCD, but because when you finish and are 1k gold short you know you must have missed a secret room.

Started playing tonight, so far so good, except the default mouse left and right are back to front from his weapons.

I use Dark Void a lot as it makes locating and tracing enemy movement critical for my stealth play...especially when you can use it to look through walls and doors...you can even trace enemy eyesight

I never use that because it just makes things too easy. I've mostly avoided the supernatural powers for that reason.

I wish you could view that stats screen during the mission as it would make it easier to collect everything...they do show you how many runes and bone charms are in the area during a mission but they don't tell you the paintings, shrines etc...I don't worry about collecting all the gold as that's a little too OCD for me...as long as I have enough to make my upgrades/purchases I'm good

Right.

I'll say this lightly. I wouldn't mind a bonus high rez texture pack some day just to put this gem over the top.

Fu.... was detected somewhere doing the House of Pleasure.

I assume the achivements tied to this stuff only count if you do them in the same "save", or can you go back and replay one mission to patch things up later if you want?

Don't know if I want to do that again. Especially when I'm not sure when I was detected (of course, if I knew I'd reloaded).

11 hours played.

EDIT: Replayed it in about an hour blank, and STILL wasn't ghost, yet I'm pretty sure I never hit 'red'. It's something non-obvious, I think with the "walkers" at the Distillery. An in-game status screen would be FUCKING USEFUL.

Last edited:
I never use that because it just makes things too easy. I've mostly avoided the supernatural powers for that reason

you need to use Blink though in order to reach some places to find the secret rooms

I never use that because it just makes things too easy. I've mostly avoided the supernatural powers for that reason..

What? It's like essential to the game, especially the stealth aspect. That's like saying you don't use sprint in a game because it gives you a speed advantage.

btw, what keypresses to use the mask zoom function? they said M2 but that activates a power

What? It's like essential to the game, especially the stealth aspect. That's like saying you don't use sprint in a game because it gives you a speed advantage.

The stealth stuff I'm using. I just haven't really used possession or blink or stuff like that yet. I'm running into situations though that are probably going to have me do it. I'm only on the third mission.

I really, really wanted to like this game. Its disappointingly nothing like thief. I get spotted and have to just hack and slash until it's a massacre... every...fucking...mission. I've tried sneaking, but the game lacks any real tools that allow you to do this. You still get spotted in the shadows. Other than c for crouch / stealth there is nothing that inherently makes stealth any easier. There aren't any tools that make playing that way any better.

I've gone back and replayed the missions multiple times, I try to be patient, unfortunately when you go in and kill everything the game becomes too simple and easy. There needs to be something in the game that allows you to actually be stealthy in this game and but they forgot to implement anything useful.

wish I could sell this one, I'll probably never play it again.

I think the idea is that you use Dark Void and go by the 'detected' meter above enemies heads, but I agree there should be some sort of "in shadows" meter that is view independent. It's too easy to miss a detection simply because you're looking the other way. It's especially insidious that the detection meter actually assumes YOU have line of sight TO IT when in fact you can be detected from sound.

It's actually one of the things that Skyrim got right with its 'eye cursor'.

> You still get spotted in the shadows

As to this, yes. It's different from Thief, you need to mind the Line of Sight (when not leaning). I don't know if shadows even have an affect at all actually, maybe a little. If you play it like Thief where you try to stand in the shadows while a solider pass you at 3 feet.. that's not going to work.

Last edited:
eh, I don't really see the issue with stealthing. You just have to stay out of the line of sight and that is easy to do with the DV power. The guards, you pick off the one one who is on the fringe and repeat. Not even necessary to use sleep darts. Yes, it takes a lot of time (and reloads) to play that way but it works for me. :

eh, I don't really see the issue with stealthing. You just have to stay out of the line of sight and that is easy to do with the DV power. The guards, you pick off the one one who is on the fringe and repeat. Not even necessary to use sleep darts. Yes, it takes a lot of time (and reloads) to play that way but it works for me. :

Basically, but I haven't been caught yet because I was skulking around. I tend to flip an imaginary coin in my head and that determines if I'll be slitting the guy's throat or putting him in a WWE sleeper hold. So far, excellent game. I'm itching to play more tonight.

Another random thing that I thought was cool in terms of the game's animations with combat: I followed a guy by sneaking behind him for about 10 seconds, he promptly turned around and did this very life-like looking "GASP" and I proceeded to thrust my blade into his neck. I was expecting some half-assed canned animation, but it felt very movie-like, and almost as if the game "knew" that I this was going to happen. Haven't seen much like this before and I'd like to think I've played TOO MANY games. Maybe I'm just not very aware of shit anymore.

Q-BZ said:
The stealth stuff I'm using. I just haven't really used possession or blink or stuff like that yet. I'm running into situations though that are probably going to have me do it. I'm only on the third mission.

Ah c'mon man. This isn't Thief, nor will it ever be. Nor is it any other type of game in my mind at least. IMO it's more fun to play it with all the features it has, especially blink. The coolest thing ever is blinking from place to place and slitting a few throats, then blinking back into the shadows. The point of it is that you're kind of like a "god" almost. I like the time-slow feature too, so badass. I think my next skill will be possession.

Basically, but I haven't been caught yet because I was skulking around. I tend to flip an imaginary coin in my head and that determines if I'll be slitting the guy's throat or putting him in a WWE sleeper hold. So far, excellent game. I'm itching to play more tonight.

Another random thing that I thought was cool in terms of the game's animations with combat: I followed a guy by sneaking behind him for about 10 seconds, he promptly turned around and did this very life-like looking "GASP" and I proceeded to thrust my blade into his neck. I was expecting some half-assed canned animation, but it felt very movie-like, and almost as if the game "knew" that I this was going to happen. Haven't seen much like this before and I'd like to think I've played TOO MANY games. Maybe I'm just not very aware of shit anymore.

Ah c'mon man. This isn't Thief, nor will it ever be. Nor is it any other type of game in my mind at least. IMO it's more fun to play it with all the features it has, especially blink. The coolest thing ever is blinking from place to place and slitting a few throats, then blinking back into the shadows. The point of it is that you're kind of like a "god" almost. I like the time-slow feature too, so badass. I think my next skill will be possession.

Rear naked choke* ;)

I just picked this up Saturday morning. It's a pretty rad game. Do you get any special items if you just stealth the entire game? I'm not too big on stealth, so sometimes I just bum rush and kill everyone.

there are some achievements for different play styles. the world also changes depending on your choices.

i agree that its annoying when you kill one guard 20 come. they dont have walkie talkies and shit.

i agree that its annoying when you kill one guard 20 come. they dont have walkie talkies and shit.

It's caused noise, and fighting results in a lot of it. I have also come across some alarm type devices they could use, however my enemies are not given that opportunity.

It's caused noise, and fighting results in a lot of it. I have also come across some alarm type devices they could use, however my enemies are not given that opportunity.

im just saying if I kill somebody the dude 2 floors down shouldnt come try and kill me

This game -- or rather -- games like these, have so much potential. I don't know how this game ends, but I can only assume they didn't go through all this world building to leave it at one game. If this could be the first {mass effect, assassin's creed} that'd be an exciting future to look forward to.

im just saying if I kill somebody the dude 2 floors down shouldnt come try and kill me

This really depends don't you think? I haven't run into too many cases where I felt enemies were coming from unexpected places.

If you're in a sword fight, people will hear it. Especially when they yell "Over here!" and shit like that.

sword/gun play is not fun at all...stealth is the only way to play this game and enjoy it

Ah c'mon man. This isn't Thief, nor will it ever be.

I know. I'm just kind of trying to play it that way when I can. ;)

That's what I like about this game. I can pretty much play it however my mood happens to be at the time. :)

Nor is it any other type of game in my mind at least. IMO it's more fun to play it with all the features it has, especially blink. The coolest thing ever is blinking from place to place and slitting a few throats, then blinking back into the shadows. The point of it is that you're kind of like a "god" almost. I like the time-slow feature too, so badass. I think my next skill will be possession.

Yeah, but you're the same guy that wants Agent 47 to have X-ray vision and lasers so what are we talking about here? :p Some of us like to use skills and have a challenge. :D

I took some of those for a spin last night because I kind of had to. LOL! I have the difficulty maxed out so I had to reach down in the bag of tricks. ;)

Yeah, but you're the same guy that wants Agent 47 to have X-ray vision and lasers so what are we talking about here? :p Some of us like to use skills and have a challenge. :D

I took some of those for a spin last night because I kind of had to. LOL! I have the difficulty maxed out so I had to reach down in the bag of tricks. ;)

Lol, we've talked about Hitman already and my feelings on the 'sense' stuff. He's so pro that he can sense where they're going to be!

I'm playing only on "hard" atm, but I'll ramp it up to the maximum after my first playthrough. The blink really helps out in some shitty situations, that with the time stopping ability. Makes for some epic set pieces.

Had a LOL moment when I threw a grenade in a guard's face, and realized it stuns them. So satisfying seeing them go 'boom' trying to shake off the cobwebs. Now I almost want to run through a level just to see how many guards I can get after me, just to turn around and throw all my grenades at them.

Some days, you just got to play.

Had a LOL moment when I threw a grenade in a guard's face, and realized it stuns them. So satisfying seeing them go 'boom' trying to shake off the cobwebs. Now I almost want to run through a level just to see how many guards I can get after me, just to turn around and throw all my grenades at them.

Some days, you just got to play.

My favorite item is the spring razor....epic.

^^ after playing Oblivion, Skyrim, and crysis, i gotta say i'm really not a fan of how more and more games are being built around fragmented gameplay, i'm guessing solely because console controllers lack enough buttons.

Pausing a game in the middle of a fight to select a health potion or another move really ruins the flow of combat, imo.

Does this game offer the ability to bind all those moves which appear in that wheel so i could select them at will, without pausing the fight?

Back