Dishonored

any way of using stealth to defeat the tallboys?...meaning any way I can get behind them and do a non lethal takedown or is the only stealth approach to avoid them?...I can Blink on top of him but it only allows me to kill

I've been stealthing this game trying to ghost it so far, in fact doing a lot of areas without even knocking people out just creeping past carefuly, so I've focused on movement such as increased agility and blink, it's a fantastic game so far.

But I can't wait to do a lethal play through and start doing batshit insane stuff like this, mixing good combat with plenty of movement skills such as blink and increased agility has to be a laugh.

I went nuts last night using blink and just killing everything that moves. I gave up on the stealth stuff, I guess I'm just not good at it. I need to unlock more stuff but I'd love to play it like that guy does.

the game doesn't feel like Thief to me but rather a combination of Bioshock and the Chronicles of Riddick games

Where is all this Thief stuff coming from anyway? Did the developers aim to draw upon Thief's style? If so, they failed hard, because that's not what kind of game it is. Now if they set out to make a game where you CAN stealth very well and employ some very awesome supernatural moves, they succeeded brilliantly.

Where is all this Thief stuff coming from anyway? Did the developers aim to draw upon Thief's style? If so, they failed hard, because that's not what kind of game it is. Now if they set out to make a game where you CAN stealth very well and employ some very awesome supernatural moves, they succeeded brilliantly.

I think what people like me are saying is that...to a point...you can try and play the game LIKE you would a Thief game.

But that's all. I certainly have not and would not say "This is the second coming of Thief!"

It's not. There's a few broad winks and homages but that's about it.

Going to be interesting to see what Thief 4 is going to be like next year.

I think what people like me are saying is that...to a point...you can try and play the game LIKE you would a Thief game.

But that's all. I certainly have not and would not say "This is the second coming of Thief!"

It's not. There's a few broad winks and homages but that's about it.

Going to be interesting to see what Thief 4 is going to be like next year.

i never played thief but i think i might try it when it comes out just saw that a fourth one was announced 3 years ago

i never played thief but i think i might try it when it comes out

Huh? There's three games that have been out for a varying degree of long time now. GOG sells them. Steam sells them.

just saw that a fourth one was announced 3 years ago

It's set for 2013. Almost assuredly at least. If we don't see it in 2013 we'll never see it at all.

Huh? There's three games that have been out for a varying degree of long time now. GOG sells them. Steam sells them.

yeah.. i have never played those 3 and i am not gonna buy them either. i am saying i will try the new one when it comes out :p

playing stealth takes a certain type of skill set. it also takes a lot of saving and reloading. Thief does it well. Also velvet assassin to a greater degree. it requires a lot of timing to take out guards when they move into a blind zone. Normal FPS will not give you the skill set, since in many the enemies know where you are if you are within some radius.

yeah.. i have never played those 3 and i am not gonna buy them either. i am saying i will try the new one when it comes out :p

You should, man. They're awesome.

And yes, Hitman next month is going to own. :)

is there a non-lethal way of completing the 'Kill the Torturer' mission?...I did a non-lethal choke from behind but it doesn't update my mission log as 'completed'...the mission still remains open

Is it just me or does this game load very fast? I wish there was a way for it to just go to the next area without me having to press any key to continue after loading because I'll zone out expecting loading to take a while and come to only to realize that it has been waiting on me.

I guess if it did load fast enough then you wouldn't be able to read the text on the loading screen but they should just make it an option to automatically skip that.

Is it just me or does this game load very fast? I wish there was a way for it to just go to the next area without me having to press any key to continue after loading because I'll zone out expecting loading to take a while and come to only to realize that it has been waiting on me.

I guess if it did load fast enough then you wouldn't be able to read the text on the loading screen but they should just make it an option to automatically skip that.

I noticed that too. I can't ever read any of the "tips" that they put on the screen. I just assumed it was because I'm using a SSD.

I noticed that too. I can't ever read any of the "tips" that they put on the screen. I just assumed it was because I'm using a SSD.

Same here, I threw it on my SSD just for shits and giggles, and the load times are literally one second. ONE. I start to count and it stops at 1. I wonder what the load times are for a normal drive, can't be much more, maybe 2-3 maximum.

Same here, I threw it on my SSD just for shits and giggles, and the load times are literally one second. ONE. I start to count and it stops at 1. I wonder what the load times are for a normal drive, can't be much more, maybe 2-3 maximum.

About 3 seconds.

I just picked up this game yesterday. And installed it. But didn't have time to play. Gonna fire it up tonight. Can't wait to find out what this is all about.

Pretty much. The first map load after starting the game is a bit longer, but it's mere seconds after that.

Load times are super fast for me as well.

About 25 hours into the game. Almost done with it. 30 will probably be the ceiling here at most. That's pretty good IMHO.

Load times are super fast for me as well.

About 25 hours into the game. Almost done with it. 30 will probably be the ceiling here at most. That's pretty good IMHO.

I've got literally about 8-10 hours in it and I just did the Pendleton Twins mission, back at the base now. Am I on track for hitting your 25-30 hour mark?

I'm exploring the bejesus out of places too, sometimes starting at stuff for 10-15 minutes haha.

I've got literally about 8-10 hours in it and I just did the Pendleton Twins mission, back at the base now. Am I on track for hitting your 25-30 hour mark?

I'm exploring the bejesus out of places too, sometimes starting at stuff for 10-15 minutes haha.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Just completed the game, got the good ending. Played it like a Thief game, stealth takedowns right through and only killing assassination targets if I felt like it. Avoided using magic too much as it's already a pretty easy game if you've played games like Thief before - the best parts imo were the most difficult parts of the game, such as when the blinking ninjas are on every rooftop in close proximity - and still those areas were not too difficult. Finished with about 15 unspent runes, as I only bought the skills pertaining to stealth.

One of the techniques they used on the last level, was to have your takedowns trigger more guard spawn patrols. It was refreshing to see this as it raised the difficulty slightly, pity they only used this effectively on the last level. Probably did about 50 stealth takedowns on that level alone. Throughout the game you can give yourself challenges to increase the difficulty, such as "Stealth takedown those 7 ninjas without using magic" etc.

Voice acting was very well done (you might recognize some of the names in the credits), and the main characters were developed just enough so that you care about them, while not becoming overbearing. Overall it was a great game, and I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they would enjoy a Bioshock/Thief hybrid game.

finished the game...the game was decent but I really don't understand the high praise this game got from pretty much every reputable review site...I didn't find anything particularly unique or special about this game to warrant such high praise...it was good but not as groundbreaking as some sites made it seem...Bioshock art style fused with City 17 and some stealth gameplay

the game was pretty short...I played 'Low Chaos' all the way through and got the 'Good' ending...killed around 10 total enemies...took around 26 hours...if I had played straight 'slash and shoot' the game would have been ridiculously short...definitely not worth $60...good game but not a game I am anxious to revisit anytime soon and definitely not GOTY

finished the game...the game was decent but I really don't understand the high praise this game got from pretty much every reputable review site...I didn't find anything particularly unique or special about this game to warrant such high praise...it was good but not as groundbreaking as some sites made it seem...Bioshock art style fused with City 17 and some stealth gameplay

the game was pretty short...I played 'Low Chaos' all the way through and got the 'Good' ending...killed around 10 total enemies...took around 26 hours...if I had played straight 'slash and shoot' the game would have been ridiculously short...definitely not worth $60...good game but not a game I am anxious to revisit anytime soon and definitely not GOTY

I remember when games that gave you 10 hours of gameplay were considered GOTY. People are too demanding these days. Quality > Quantity I don't like when games have alot of boring filler. Which is why Assassin's Creed has gone stale on me, this game felt refreshing. Also the reason it resembles C17 is because the guy who did the art style on Half-Life 2, did Dishonored.

Well, is it capable of being modded?

25 hours is a lot of game time for something like this. That's my total for my first playthrough.

I didn't low chaos. The next time I play I'm going to make a point of being as non lethal as can be.

Run and gun without cheating would be a/would have been a PITA in this especially at max difficulty like I was playing it. The few times I tried it I got put down fast.

I'd give the game an 8.5/10.

I think Deus Ex HR definitely did "this" better a year ago. It's a very good game but certainly not perfect. My GOTY shortlist? It's probably still going to be there but ahead of it is Borderlands 2 and I expect both Assassin's Creed 3 and Hitman to leapfrog it as well.

I remember when games that gave you 10 hours of gameplay were considered GOTY. People are too demanding these days. Quality > Quantity I don't like when games have alot of boring filler. Which is why Assassin's Creed has gone stale on me, this game felt refreshing. Also the reason it resembles C17 is because the guy who did the art style on Half-Life 2, did Dishonored.

it took me 26 hours but it wasn't a legit 26 hours...meaning the only reason it took that long was the fact that I had to reload numerous parts over and over again to remain unnoticed or to keep up my non-lethal playthrough...if I got noticed by guards or had to kill an enemy I did not want to kill I reloaded from my last save...like I said a straight run and gun playthrough would have been much, much faster

plus it's not the length of the game which was the main factor for me it was the overall quality of the game...good game but not as original and fantastic as reviews made it out to be...I disagree about the Assassin's Creed series...love those games...even the worst of that series (Revelations) is better then a lot of games...AC1 felt repetetive but after that the series was amazing from beginning to end

2012 GOTY candidates so far for me are Borderlands 2 and Dark Souls: Prepare to Die...I'm sure Assassin's Creed 3 will join it and possibly Far Cry 3

I think I managed to save and simultaneously kill a person.

I got Lydia Boyle down into the cellar, got her unconscious, then carried her over to the boat and instead of going down the stairs I just jumped over the ledge while carrying her. It told me that I killed her, I think I dropped her, but the guy on the boat was happy about getting her as if she wasn't dead and he rode off on the boat with her. Her picture had a red X behind it as well. She's the first person that I decided to save. Did she technically die since the game said I succeeded in killing her instead of the '(optional) space her life...' and the red X behind her picture?

I kinda feel the same way. The story is getting huge praise but its really just not that interesting. The voice is "ok" and I don't really "care" for any of the characters in the game at all. I know a lot of people are enjoying it but it seems like a lot of over hype to me. The game play is fun but it doesn't feel new to me at all.

I gotta say while I don't regret buying the game I think I bought into the review "pie" a bit much. Over all this game is quite average . I could not recommend it at full price but at $30 or less its a decent experience.

Ahhh we have our first person who says this game is average. This game by far is above average.

I just played for the first time last night, for a couple of hours. I really like all the different skills so far. The BLINK thing is pretty cool. The game had me pulled in, not wanted to walk away and just keep going.

Ahhh we have our first person who says this game is average. This game by far is above average.

Agreed.

We had trolls giving this thing 5/10s earlier in the thread. Pretty laughable stuff.

You missed it. ;)

I just played for the first time last night, for a couple of hours. I really like all the different skills so far. The BLINK thing is pretty cool. The game had me pulled in, not wanted to walk away and just keep going.

Agreed. I'll have a fun time with a playthrough after I've played a few other games.

Thanks to being sick for 3 days in conjunction with a weekend, I've managed 4 full play throughs and all 60 achievements. Loving the play style variance and world they've created, hope we see sequels that expand on it. After a full non-lethal run, it was fun to cut loose and cause some chaos. Run and gun can be painful on "very hard" until you amass a few powers. Great fun though! The game reacts to your choices and definitely makes you feel the weight of choosing to be a mass murderer. Refreshing in an era of consequence free games.

Back