Dell U2412M

Can any owners comment on eye-strain/headaches/migraines from using this monitor for long periods of time? If so please also post what brightness setting you are using.

Or has it been confirmed that there is no PWM flicker from the LEDs?

No, the LEDs do flicker below 82 brightness but I've been using this screen for three-plus months without issues at all.

This issue does not bother everyone. In fact, it's a very small minority that is actually affected, it seems.

Recently the monitor started showing a 5min timer when windows turns off the display after inactivity.

Before the screen would just turn off, now it has this 5min timer. I have no idea why it started doing this. Any idea how to fix it?

No, the LEDs do flicker below 82 brightness but I've been using this screen for three-plus months without issues at all.

This issue does not bother everyone. In fact, it's a very small minority that is actually affected, it seems.

I have a perfect eyesight and didnt notice any flickering at 25 brightness....mine is rev. A01

I have a perfect eyesight and didnt notice any flickering at 25 brightness....mine is rev. A01

It seems to vary quite a bit between individuals.. on testing a few days ago I couldn't notice it above about 32-34 in the finger test.

Today I've just retested and can still perceive it up to 50 now.. so my brain must have gotten better at noticing it with a bit of training. :)

Seems consistent across 3x A00s.. regardless I can't perceive any flickering in normal usage.

Edit: I should mention this is using a white screen and moving your finger across it rapidly looking for multiple edges to appear.

I own a Dell 2407WFP.

Do any owners of the 2412M think this would be a worthy upgrade over the 2407WFP when it comes to:
games
general browsing/work related activities

Thanks.

My (hopefully enough) in-depth review of Dell U2412M (A00):
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recenze-dell-ultrasharp-u2412m-test-ips-s-1920-x-1200-px

Atlhough from e-shop, it was definitely above average (no backlight bleeding, very good uniformity).

Link for online translation (CZ -> EN) - use the direct link above for viewing interactive charts in review please:
http://translate.google.com/transla...l-ultrasharp-u2412m-test-ips-s-1920-x-1200-px

I thought it was a good, fair review. Thanks for that ufoncz

I own a Dell 2407WFP.

Do any owners of the 2412M think this would be a worthy upgrade over the 2407WFP when it comes to:
games

Thanks.

Yes I would say it's a good upgrade for these purposes. It's a fair bit better for gaming and as competent for the other activities as the 2407WFP.

I would say 2412 is much better for gaming because it has avg 10ms input lag compared to 60ms on 2407. Plus that some 2407 units had vrery noticable ghosting.

I've been using mine now for a month and can't be more happier with its performance in both games and photo work. It's definitely a big improvement of the crappy Acer I had from 2006, and doesn't have the awful gloss of the iMac (which I sold mainly because of this). I used to be able to keep my computer in a non windowed/dark room, but that is just no longer possible.

I own a Dell 2407WFP.

games

Thanks.

Yes, but I would keep both in a dual screen setup to be honest. If the S-PVA panel in the 2407WFP is anything like the 2405FPW, then you'll get less glow on blacks on diagonal angles than the U2412M. But obviously the U2412M will be faster for games and have less input lag.

This sort of demonstrates it - 2405FPW on the left, U2412M on the right:
LpSWO.jpg

Pinch of salt as always, viewing pictures of monitors on other monitors etc. Also note blacks are much better than this on the U2412M when straight on, and at up/down/left/right angles.

I've had mine for a week and it's really an excellent monitor. I use the monitor mainly for gaming, movies/TV shows, moderate photo editing/manipulation and web browsing. Gaming is flawless and I have little issue with the 3H coating for photo work or anything else. I have a dying LG L246WP that uses a semigloss coating and the coating on the U2412M, while noticeable, isn't too distracting. The effect lessened for me after just a few days of use.

I use 10e's color settings because FlatpanelsHD calibrated settings showed a reddish tint and TFT Central's calibrated settings showed a blue tint via a grayscale ramp. 10e's are spot on for mine, but I guess it can vary. Mine is a rev. A01. Thank you, 10e. :)

There's some minor backlight leakage on the left side of the screen, but it's minimal because I use a lower brightness setting. Looking at it straight on in a very dark room, the leakage is just barely detectable. It's not something I ever notice in the dark areas of games and movies. The contrast, color and black levels are impressive and are quite an improvement over my older monitor. This alone makes this one a keeper.

The only negative I can find is the stand. It just seems a little on the cheap side, but I can live with it.

Just bought this monitor today. In the manual i read "Connect the monitor using only one of the following cables: the blue VGA or the white DVI cable." I tried using the Display port but i got no display. This means that i can use only the VGA or DVI connection?

Just bought this monitor today. In the manual i read "Connect the monitor using only one of the following cables: the blue VGA or the white DVI cable." I tried using the Display port but i got no display. This means that i can use only the VGA or DVI connection?

They don't give you a displayport cable.. that's why it must be worded in that way. Displayport itself should work fine, though... have you tried a different cable?

Anyone have any recommended settings for these monitors? I just setup a dual pair at my office. Don't have any tools to calibrate them, so hoping someon eelse may have some info they can share.

I solved my problem by selecting as default input the DisplayPort from the menu, but now it takes almost 15 seconds until the POST screen shows up. Any ideas for this delay?

I read a decent amount of this thread and am ready to get a Dell U2412M monitor. I noticed people noting the "ao1" revision. This revision is available for purchase.

What is significant about A01?

sparx

I'm looking at picking up one of these and was wondering where the best/cheapest place is to get one. I am a student (UW Seattle) so it looks like I can get 5% off on the dell website. Is there any place else that doesn't charge sales tax in WA or CA?

Thanks

I'm looking at picking up one of these and was wondering where the best/cheapest place is to get one. I am a student (UW Seattle) so it looks like I can get 5% off on the dell website. Is there any place else that doesn't charge sales tax in WA or CA?

Thanks

I just picked one up from Amazon through seller "Tiger Brother" - bought from them before great seller. I paid $320.99 - usually I get taxed (KS) from Amazon but since its a seller I got no tax...

I have Amazon prime and since it is "Filled by Amazon" item I got my free prime shipping.

Ordered this afternoon @ around 1pm and already got tracking # estimated delivery is Monday!! :)

ALSO FYI...when I ordered it said only 4 left, not sure how accurate that was but might want to hurry.

Cheapest I could find it was @ Dell for 349.99 + tax came to over $380.00 =/

Always call Dell and ask for a personalized quote, you might luck out like I did... $300 + tax for two of them with $1 promo shipping, came out to $643 total (for two).

Always call Dell and ask for a personalized quote, you might luck out like I did... $300 + tax for two of them with $1 promo shipping, came out to $643 total (for two).

Damn nice deal - would try that if your looking for two. In my case I am fine paying the extra $20 since I only needed one to sit next to my U3011.

I read a decent amount of this thread and am ready to get a Dell U2412M monitor. I noticed people noting the "ao1" revision. This revision is available for purchase.

What is significant about A01?

sparx
It can signify hardware, software (OSD) or firmware changes. The newest revision doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a good one.

Hi Everyone
I've read this thread from start to finish.Same thing with Asus PA246Q.
Since I don't use wide gamut for anything,I game quite a lot but wouldn't call myself professional gamer,watch some films every now and then,often surf on internet,don't do anything photography related,I'm edging towards U2412m.Price is another obvious reason.
My questions are:
What are my other buying options for 24"IPS or VA 16:10 panel?Appart from (U2410 PA246Q ZR24W)
Someone on this thread mentioned new Samsung PLS monitor.Can U please specify the model.
Is there any new models being released in close future(lets say before and of march 2012) that You're aware of??

Hi Everyone
I've read this thread from start to finish.Same thing with Asus PA246Q.
Since I don't use wide gamut for anything,I game quite a lot but wouldn't call myself professional gamer,watch some films every now and then,often surf on internet,don't do anything photography related,I'm edging towards U2412m.Price is another obvious reason.
My questions are:
What are my other buying options for 24"IPS or VA 16:10 panel?Appart from (U2410 PA246Q ZR24W)
Someone on this thread mentioned new Samsung PLS monitor.Can U please specify the model.
Is there any new models being released in close future(lets say before and of march 2012) that You're aware of??

HP ZR2440W is also 24" 16:10 screen with similar features and price. I'd look at this or the U2412M, whichever I could find cheaper.

The Samsung S24A850 is somewhat competitive but marred by poor build quality and excessive back-light bleed because as a result of this build quality. I'd stay away from it for a while. It has a smoother picture but the monitor itself is flimsy.

The U2412M fits your needs nicely.

HP ZR2440W is also 24" 16:10 screen with similar features and price. I'd look at this or the U2412M, whichever I could find cheaper.

The Samsung S24A850 is somewhat competitive but marred by poor build quality and excessive back-light bleed because as a result of this build quality. I'd stay away from it for a while. It has a smoother picture but the monitor itself is flimsy.

The U2412M fits your needs nicely.

Thanks for that.
All I have to do is save some money for it.In the meantime there should be more info coming out on ZR2440W:)

This monitor isn't good for watching movies, because of pretty noticeable ghosting.Revision is A02 from august 2011. Any idea? :rolleyes:

This monitor isn't good for watching movies, because of pretty noticeable ghosting.Revision is A02 from august 2011. Any idea? :rolleyes:

Look earlier in the thread and turn off over drive from the service menu. See if that helps.

God am I tempted by this Dell Canada sale. The only thing that is holding back from updating my old Dell 2405 which has horrible image persistance problems is that some people have said the sparkle finish on the 2405 is quite bad, and that the black levels on IPS panels are nowhere near as good as a PVA panel. Still, at $300 - even if the picture is sub-par compared to my old beast - it would be nice to not have my toolbar permentaly burned into the top half of the screen. To anyone who has done the move to one of the 2412M from an older Dell, are besides sparkles and subpar blacks - how is the rest of the image? Are the colors on par with Dells older offerings? One good thing is response times appear to be much better than my old monitor.

Yes, but I would keep both in a dual screen setup to be honest. If the S-PVA panel in the 2407WFP is anything like the 2405FPW, then you'll get less glow on blacks on diagonal angles than the U2412M. But obviously the U2412M will be faster for games and have less input lag.

This sort of demonstrates it - 2405FPW on the left, U2412M on the right:
LpSWO.jpg

Pinch of salt as always, viewing pictures of monitors on other monitors etc. Also note blacks are much better than this on the U2412M when straight on, and at up/down/left/right angles.

Wagoo - you got a PM! :)

God am I tempted by this Dell Canada sale. The only thing that is holding back from updating my old Dell 2405 which has horrible image persistance problems is that some people have said the sparkle finish on the 2405 is quite bad, and that the black levels on IPS panels are nowhere near as good as a PVA panel. Still, at $300 - even if the picture is sub-par compared to my old beast - it would be nice to not have my toolbar permentaly burned into the top half of the screen. To anyone who has done the move to one of the 2412M from an older Dell, are besides sparkles and subpar blacks - how is the rest of the image? Are the colors on par with Dells older offerings? One good thing is response times appear to be much better than my old monitor.

The U2412M will have better black levels and contrast ratio when viewed from straight on, but the white glowing "haze" creeps in as you change your viewing angle. In general, otherwise, viewing angles will be better on the U2412M than the 2405FPW.. Ie. while the black level might suffer when viewed off-angle on the U2412M, the general image quality will be better off-angle and the actual picture will be more intact.

Some S-PVA panels have, or have had better contrast, and some newer cPVA and A-MVA panels do as well, but the U2412M is actually quite good in this area, and one of the better IPS panels from what I've seen.

Look earlier in the thread and turn off over drive from the service menu. See if that helps.

With or without overdrive (from service menu) not helped...When watching movies(i tried hd,divx,mpg...also tried dvi, vga), it's still noticeable terrible ghosting especially in the black/white scenes.What about display card?This can make ghosting?It is old Geforce 6200 agp...but, on my old monitor i can't notice ghosting. :confused:

With or without overdrive (from service menu) not helped...When watching movies(i tried hd,divx,mpg...also tried dvi, vga), it's still noticeable terrible ghosting especially in the black/white scenes.What about display card?This can make ghosting?It is old Geforce 6200 agp...but, on my old monitor i can't notice ghosting. :confused:

Maybe there is something wrong with it. What was your previous monitor?

What overdrive settings did you try and what movie for example. Maybe I can try it and see what happens.

Maybe there is something wrong with it. What was your previous monitor?

What overdrive settings did you try and what movie for example. Maybe I can try it and see what happens.

Previous monitor was Benq G2220HDA.I noticed ghosting on every movies, movie files.Driver is newest, downloaded from Nvidia.Windows XP.I tried overdrive off, on, gain 50, 60,70,0.No help..

Previous monitor was Benq G2220HDA.I noticed ghosting on every movies, movie files.Driver is newest, downloaded from Nvidia.Windows XP.I tried overdrive off, on, gain 50, 60,70,0.No help..

If you turned off overdrive and there is heavy ghosting, something is wrong with the screen or something else in the chain, like the video card where you mentioned above. Usually overdrive can show some reverse ghosting, but ghosting on this screen is definitely not heavy, it is quite light.

Have you checked to make sure in Windows, that the video card is running in 59 or 60hz and full 1920x1200 resolution and 32-bit color? I would also recommend using DVI for connection, not VGA.

If you have access to another video card, try that. If not, return the monitor, as it may be defective.. Just don't tell them you went into the service menu ;)

That particular BenQ was not known to be a super-duper responsive, or fast panel either.

It's the same AUO panel that was in the E2200HD I tried years ago, and I didn't find it to be great in the response time area.

Last edited:
Just ordered two at the $299 Black Friday price. Can't wait, should be a great upgrade from a single 2001FP.

I just got one only to find out I was being charged with tax as well. I paid the $9 for faster shipping because I want to get to editing photos that I plan on printing and framing for Christmas gifts.

Ended up only saving a few $ over what has been available on Amazon for weeks now.

Oh well. Still REALLY looking forward to my first ever non-budget LCD TV/Monitor etc.

at 299, you HAVE to buy this thing..its stupid cheap...i'm in...delivery next friday..thanks for the heads up smitty

Back