Dell U2412M

Got mine today ... all I can say is this thing is AWESOME

I have no idea what people are freaking out about with the "Aggressive AG Coating", muddy, dirty looking whites, "IPS Glow"

I'm sure I could set a pure black or white background and pick it apart but damn people ... I don't know about all of you but for me it's never sitting on a solid color background

, it looks fine to me so far. This was supposed to replace my 2209WA

I have 2209wa....do you think it has a same pic quality as 2209wa? Im asking this to be sure I will not make a wrong decision. U2412M is 6+2 bit panel while 2209wa is true 8 bit. That alone shouldnt be a problem but I want to be sure. Btw, is your revision A00?

I'm looking for a 24" monitor 1920x1200. About a year ago I was recommend the Dell U2410. The U2410 is still available were I live and it costs about 450 Euros. The Dell U2410 cost 280 Euros. I was wondering - why the price difference? Wasn't the U2410 replaced by the U2412M? Is the U2410 still better?

No, the new one is not a replacement, the older model uses a wider color gamut... If you have to ask what that's useful for then you don't need it, as it'll just cause more issues than anything else (applications have to support a wider gamut for accurate colors, etc.). If you're just looking for an affordable IPS screen as a step up from a TN or to replace an older/smaller display, the U2412M is probably the best buy out there, specially if you can get it for $350 or less.

What is the best solid background color to determine screen uniformity? A dark gray?

I have 2209wa....do you think it has a same pic quality as 2209wa? Im asking this to be sure I will not make a wrong decision. U2412M is 6+2 bit panel while 2209wa is true 8 bit. That alone shouldnt be a problem but I want to be sure. Btw, is your revision A00?
Don't worry about the trivial stuff. The biggest differences I found between the two monitors are real estate; infinitely better control of brightness - I returned my 2209WA because it was unbearable, while my U2412M is nice at 20 and my eyes have yet to fatigue in any light; and the latter has LED backlighting, which means it's probably not as pitch black as the 2209, but it hasn't been a problem (the screen takes a couple of weeks to break in).

Don't worry about the trivial stuff. The biggest differences I found between the two monitors are real estate; infinitely better control of brightness - I returned my 2209WA because it was unbearable, while my U2412M is nice at 20 and my eyes have yet to fatigue in any light; and the latter has LED backlighting, which means it's probably not as pitch black as the 2209, but it hasn't been a problem (the screen takes a couple of weeks to break in).

I have bightness (on my 2209wa) on 10 now and I like it that way since its usually at night that im in front of the screen and its pretty dark in the living room (only weak ambient light). So I guess it should be ok.

10 on the 2209WA is bright compared to 20 on this monitor, and my experience is the latter is much cleaner at lower brightness thabn the 2209. I think you'll like this one. Look at the brightness specs difference and rangew as shown inb reviews of the two monitors.

some of the folks reported slight (but noticable) flickering when using low brigtness values in dim room...that is on A00 revisions...anybody noticed something similar?

some of the folks reported slight (but noticable) flickering when using low brigtness values in dim room...that is on A00 revisions...anybody noticed something similar?

Not here. I haven't seen anything like that at any brightness level.

As for your earlier question, while I loved the 2209WA for so many things (75hz, low lag, responsive eIPS panel) I actually prefer the image quality on the U2412M by a fair margin.

Hey did y'all know that BenQ actually makes this monitor? Qisda and BenQ are somehow largely affiliated. Neat-0

Check the service menu and monitor box, and Qisda is the OEM.

Where's the "Hot Deal" on this monitor? Their site says 349$, is there a better deal, coupon, secret handshake?

Where's the "Hot Deal" on this monitor? Their site says 349$, is there a better deal, coupon, secret handshake?

Call and ask for a price quote, or do the live chat, you might get a better price, specially if you're buying more than one. I got mine for $300 each (x2) + tax w/$1 shipping... Tho most people were also buying them for $320 at the time. I think I saw something about a 10% discount code a few pages back... Dell's always running specials on displays, if $350's too much for ya then just wait a bit.

Not here. I haven't seen anything like that at any brightness level.

As for your earlier question, while I loved the 2209WA for so many things (75hz, low lag, responsive eIPS panel) I actually prefer the image quality on the U2412M by a fair margin.

Hey did y'all know that BenQ actually makes this monitor? Qisda and BenQ are somehow largely affiliated. Neat-0

Check the service menu and monitor box, and Qisda is the OEM.

I thought its 60Hz at 1680x1050....

Returned mine to Newegg today. It just didn't seem like the screen was right. On darker screens I was seeing some lines across it especially at the top. Not sure it if was the AG coating or screen issue. Also the uniformity of the screen wasn't that great. Hopefully the replacement will be better. :confused:

Sounds defective to me as well, especially the lines across the top on dark screens.

Good luck with the replacement.

No it can up to 72Hz (75Hz) at 1680x1050.

Yep. I found the topic about it. But whats the point with having 75Hz. The games I play are realistic combat sims (very HW demanding) and rarely my FPS reach more than 60...and since I have TrackIR I need to use Vsync.....

Last edited:
bought 3 of these this morning, i asked for a discount via their online chat and they marked them down to 309 for me.

Just exchanged my A00 for an A02 that has WAY better uniformity and less backlight bleed.

Don't hesitate to call Dell if you're not happy with your screen! :D

Premier (works for IT at a large university) pricing as told to me from an acquaintance. They wont sell at a loss -- so cost is below $200 for this monitor.

U3011 (3 year) $942.xx
U2711 (3 year) $563.xx
U2412 (3 year) $213.xx
U2410 (3 year) $403.xx
U2312 (3 year) $174.xx
U2311 (3 year) $166.xx

Personally, I'm waiting on some reviews for the HP ZR2440W as it seems to be the direct competitor to the U2412M but has HDMI instead of VGA.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the height of one of these set up in portrait mode? I'm thinking of building a stand soon for my current monitor and future monitors (this or zr24) but I need to know the minimum height I can build it so my monitor isn't towering up in the sky.

Height from desk in portrait:

Minimum - 57.0cm (22.44")
Maximum - 60.4cm (23.78")

My first U2412M I received a stuck pixel near the bottom bezel so I decided to call Dell for a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement also had a stuck pixel, but this time it was more towards the center of the screen :(. Thankfully, The manager was able to send me a second replacement today. I just hope this time the replacement monitor would be dead/stuck-pixel free...

This monitor is definetly on my list for black friday =D Had the U2211H before but I want a slight upgrade.

monitor had a speck of dust in it that I knocked off the screen with my knuckle.. no dead pixels, no noticeable blacklight bleed.. the IPS glow is more noticeable.

Back