Dell U2412M

hi guys,

state of emergency! :) I am calling to the club of the 2412m users. I need experiences and reviews of you.

It may sounds a little bit strange but i am in between with these monitors, u2311h and u2412m. ok, 2311h is an older version and has lcd technology(ccfl) instead of 2412's w-led, but with lots of tests it was one of the monitors that has been admired. I could not find a real comparison between two to decide one of them.

I need a monitor especially for video editing, photography, office and web as well as for games (despite of not so often). I will not watch movies generally on this monitor.

I decided to buy 2311h first for the pc that i bought new (phenom II 1090t, asus hd6850). however when i learned that i can buy newer 2412m by paying 110$ more (340$ for 2311 and 450$ 2412m), i got confused. 2412m entered new in my country and this is a special price that they called "entry price"). I read most of the reviews and i got confused more :) actually i rely on the reviews of tftcentral and pcmonitors.org but DV made me disappointed with the response time test that was also mentioned in this thread several times. I usually get confused when I think of playing games, I cannot choose which one will be better. I do not want to be disappointed after experiencing 2412m in games.

So, my hesitations are on response time, its size and usage (for me) as well as backlight bleeding so far i encountered as problems.

I need some help with these questions under mentioned

1- Its response time was enough for games such as strategy and also games like colin mcrae. when it is compared to 2311h?
2- Which is better for editing videos and working in programs such as premier? and for dreamweaver?
3- Can i going to use the same monitor after five years for example, with the same system? (with the same graphics card especially)
4- Should i go for 16:10 or 16:9 ratio? which one is more sutable for my needs?
5- I did not use a monitor such a big size (ex monitor 19" LG), so i am not experienced, i also wanted to ask is 24" big for a small room such as 10m2? what should be the ideal view distance for 2412m?
6- Which monitor is easy to rotate and use in general (physically-connnect and disconnect the pieces) ?
7- Which revision should i search for, which one is less problematic? or is it just by chance?
8- Which is better, ccfl or w-led when considering all the factors? (for instance, for eyes, backlight bleeding etc.)

I need for a long term monitor, I do not want to change it in 4-5 years. I wonder which one best fits me. i really wonder the views of the people who used both of the monitors or at least see or try them.

As a last word, for you with all pros and cons (backlight bleeding, panel uniformity), is it worth 110$ more to get this monitor instead of 2311h? which one is better and more adventageous?

awaiting for your answers - i should decide and buy one urgently (today-tomorrow at last).

thank you for your attention

Last edited:
I'm missing the emergency. It's easy to get carried away with one's own anxiety. Some of your questions have already been answered, if you take the time to read through the posts, while I'm sure some will be responded to now. But to the extent your questions are relatively specialized, such as whether a 16x10 vs 16x9 monitor is better for your needs, and where the Dells fit among those that are, they strike me as requiring *patient* research and asking on other relevant forums as well. Isn't a five-year investment worth that?

genegold99 thank you for attention. I used the emergency word to stress both my urgence and a bit of humour. "missing"? anyway, not important to that extent. first of all, I skimmed the pages of the thread especially from beginning to 50s and also made a search with in the thread with u2311h keyword and read them all. Some of them were about DV's review about pixperan response time issue and few of them related to my comparison of 2311h.
I compare these monitors because they are affordable for me. ok, why the situation is urgent? because the company that brings dell monitors has a limited days for discount and there is no other company own that monitor-2412m. therefore, I need to go for one of the monitors immediately, probably in 2 hours aprox. I saw this forum while I was making research about this comparison, 2311h 2412m. I asked 16:9-10 ratio question because it is related to both computers and the comparison. I just wanted to find some people who use them both, I wrote my needs, and as I am not experienced and did not use any of them, I asked for which one can fit to my needs. I wanted final words for those who are also in between 2311h and 2412m.
Excuse me for some of my general and specialized questions, that I explained why, but I am sure some of the users will voluntarily reply it and help for my situation and give a vision. if i was impatient then i do not make a research for one week and write such a post. thank you anyway.

Last edited:
It's fine for gaming, there's numerous posts of satisfied users stating as much. As far as the aspect ratio... That's a very subjective thing, some people prefer or don't mind 16:9 for games/TV watching, a lot of people that use their display for work tend to prefer 16:10 tho (at least on anything 24" or smaller) due to the extra vertical workspace, though at times it comes at the cost of a slightly narrower FOV in some games.

Quality control on the U2412M seems to be much better than on the U2311H, at least based on these boards... If you can swing the extra cost I don't why you wouldn't go for the 24", given your usage scenario.

thanks a lot impulse, your comment was very useful for me. I think I need that extra vertical space for office and work usage. I hope there will be no problems on gaming

this will be my next monitor for sure. I keep looking for dell coupon codes to get it cheaper. anyone know what is the best possible deal I can get for Dell monitors??

It largely depends on the phone/web rep you contact... Specially when buying more than one. I got two for $300 + tax each w/$1 shipping and that's the lowest I've heard of, didn't really do anything special, just lucked out I guess. Price seems to be jumping between $320-350, haven't seen it higher than that since it came out initially at $400.

genegold99 thank you for attention. I used the emergency word to stress both my urgence and a bit of humour. "missing"? anyway, not important to that extent. first of all, I skimmed the pages of the thread especially from beginning to 50s and also made a search with in the thread with u2311h keyword and read them all. Some of them were about DV's review about pixperan response time issue and few of them related to my comparison of 2311h.
I compare these monitors because they are affordable for me. ok, why the situation is urgent? because the company that brings dell monitors has a limited days for discount and there is no other company own that monitor-2412m. therefore, I need to go for one of the monitors immediately, probably in 2 hours aprox. I saw this forum while I was making research about this comparison, 2311h 2412m. I asked 16:9-10 ratio question because it is related to both computers and the comparison. I just wanted to find some people who use them both, I wrote my needs, and as I am not experienced and did not use any of them, I asked for which one can fit to my needs. I wanted final words for those who are also in between 2311h and 2412m.
Excuse me for some of my general and specialized questions, that I explained why, but I am sure some of the users will voluntarily reply it and help for my situation and give a vision. if i was impatient then i do not make a research for one week and write such a post. thank you anyway.
Fair enough. It's helpful to relate the specific need, such as the time crunch you face(d), because I assume you've seen how many "urgent" or "emergency" posts forums get.

I suggested looking at other forums because along the road to finding the U2412M, I considered other monitors (e.g., HP 2275 and 2475) and read several forums where people who do more specialized photo and web design work discuss the benefits and not of wide specific gamut monitors vs. some of the better ones that aren't. There is a lot of good thinking and advice at most of them. Good luck.

received my 3 this afternoon, took a few minutes to check bleed/pixels. for the most part they look great, although i can't tell if i'm looking at ips glow or back-light bleed on one of them

my new galant and fxtristand arrive this weekend, i'll play with settings more and post some pics after i set everything up

Received my Dell. I was lucky (as with 2209WA) because its rev. A01 with very good screen uniformity and minimal baclight bleeding. My "calibrated" settings are:
Red:96, Green: 93, Blue 84; Brightness 23 (Im working and gaming at night in very dark room); Contrast is at 75 (default)....thers no dead, stuck or light/dark pixels. The stand is really sturdy and the design of the whole unit is nice (minimalistic as on all late Dell models). IPS glow I only noticed when looking at black background (in dim room). Anyways Im used to this so no probs there. It shouldnt be an issue. Input lag is really minimal and no ghosting in "fast" games. I think that combination of an e-IPS panel, 16:10 aspect ratio, 24 inch diagonal, nice resolution (1920x1200) and low cost this monitor is best buy. In Croatia it costs 368$ (267€).

received my 3 this afternoon, took a few minutes to check bleed/pixels. for the most part they look great, although i can't tell if i'm looking at ips glow or back-light bleed on one of them

my new galant and fxtristand arrive this weekend, i'll play with settings more and post some pics after i set everything up

Back-light bleed will show up when viewed from farther away at a straight angle, while IPS glow disappears.

Somebody else earlier asked about disassembling this monitor earlier in the thread. I'll put it lightly:

DO not disassemble the monitor. Putting it back together is painful and the construction is not made for servicing.

Trust me on this.

And no, before you ask, mine's not broken.

:)

Also it won't help with the backlight bleed. The backlight bleed is definitely from the panel seated in the assembly and not being perfectly straight.

Just thought I'd let people know ;)

It may have been me. I pondered doing a bezel strip across the 3. I might still do it one day. :)

But having pulled the front bezel off to take a look (pull from the inside with something flat to protect the panel surface, on the OPPOSITE side to the OSD control buttons) I decided it wasn't worth doing at the moment. The bezels don't really bother me that much, and the panel is reasonably flush against the outer plastic. You'd still gain about 2-3mm on each bezel I think, though.

VEHd8.jpg

small update...I noticed a small issue.....right part of the screen (very narrow area, just within the bezel, maybe 3 mm wide; from bezel towards the screen center) from top to bottom of the screen has a barely noticable backlight bleed (if it is backlight bleed I dunno, but on that part the screen is brighter). But its barely noticable. My wife didnt noticed and I have a better eyesight (almost perfect). This is not really an issue but it looks like the film is not centered on the screen, like its moved to the left by 3mm and some lighter parts popped in in 3mm wide range. I will see if that will be sorted out in next few days. If not - no probs since its really almost non existing for naked eye. I noticed that only when I stare at that part or when I change the brigtness drastically.

Just got my second replacement two days ago. Rev A00 (my first two were A02s) and no stuck/dead pixels! I do notice a little bit worse IPS glow, but that's unnoticeable unless I work at a very dim environment with a dark background on the screen. Monitor is looking great so far =)

It may have been me. I pondered doing a bezel strip across the 3. I might still do it one day. :)

But having pulled the front bezel off to take a look (pull from the inside with something flat to protect the panel surface, on the OPPOSITE side to the OSD control buttons) I decided it wasn't worth doing at the moment. The bezels don't really bother me that much, and the panel is reasonably flush against the outer plastic. You'd still gain about 2-3mm on each bezel I think, though.

I remember you asking, but it was someone else who thought that the bezel was exerting pressure on the panel causing the back-light bleed. It's not.

The big problem is the bezel is basically keeping the panel in place. It's otherwise held on to the electronics by cheap fabric electrical tape. You completely remove the bezel and the panel just falls out and separates from the electronics.

I almost ended up having it fall out of my hands. Good thing for my super-panic reaction time or the panel would have ended up leaving a dent on my floor ;)

Beware :)

small update...I noticed a small issue.....right part of the screen (very narrow area, just within the bezel, maybe 3 mm wide; from bezel towards the screen center) from top to bottom of the screen has a barely noticable backlight bleed (if it is backlight bleed I dunno, but on that part the screen is brighter). But its barely noticable. My wife didnt noticed and I have a better eyesight (almost perfect). This is not really an issue but it looks like the film is not centered on the screen, like its moved to the left by 3mm and some lighter parts popped in in 3mm wide range. I will see if that will be sorted out in next few days. If not - no probs since its really almost non existing for naked eye. I noticed that only when I stare at that part or when I change the brigtness drastically.

Give it a few days for the construction tension to ease a bit.

The big problem is the bezel is basically keeping the panel in place. It's otherwise held on to the electronics by cheap fabric electrical tape. You completely remove the bezel and the panel just falls out and separates from the electronics.

I almost ended up having it fall out of my hands. Good thing for my super-panic reaction time or the panel would have ended up leaving a dent on my floor ;)

Beware :)

Thanks for the heads-up! I was expecting a neat self-contained unit with the electronics nicely housed in metal screwed to the back of the panel with VESA mounting holes already drilled in the back.. so good to have that info.

New review on Tomshardware:
24" LCD Round-Up: Acer S242HL, Dell U2412M, And Samsung T24A550
The Dell took top honors.

Of course it did, they compared a 1920x1200 IPS monitor to two 1920x1080 TN monitors. I guess they are learning how to review monitors?

Of course it did, they compared a 1920x1200 IPS monitor to two 1920x1080 TN monitors. I guess they are learning how to review monitors?

I noticed they compared it to cheaper monitors too, and someone in the comments on the review brought it up. It's not surprising that the Dell won. That being said, I think people considering the monitor here might be interested to look at TH's comments on the monitor anyway.

Got my replacement today. Looks better. No dead pix. Does have some backlight bleed top left corner and near the usb ports. It's an A01. The other one also had about the same amount. At least I thinks it's backlight bleed. If you move your head around and get right in front of the area the glow subsides, but there is still some bright area there. I'll let it burn in for a week and then take a look. I did notice if you squeeze the bezel in those areas you can tell the panel is not in all the way or something. The screen appears distorted. Don't know what it means actually.:eek:

Hi, I'm new to the high end monitor market and I'm looking for a new 23/24 inch (would consider bigger) monitor for working from home. I'm a Web developer so I will be spending a lot of time developing on it which would include front end graphic interfaces. I will also be spending time watching films/shows on the new screen. I was previously convinced to go for the Dell U2410 but with the newer models available I'm unsure of which would be the best option. I often work late and long hours so I would like to invest in a high quality monitor to make it as easy and user friendly as possible for me to work with. Any recommendations or advice would really help.

Thanks!

If you need wide color gamut support, get the U2410, otherwise the U2412M is a great value.

Somebody else earlier asked about disassembling this monitor earlier in the thread. I'll put it lightly:

DO not disassemble the monitor. Putting it back together is painful and the construction is not made for servicing.

Trust me on this.

Also it won't help with the backlight bleed. The backlight bleed is definitely from the panel seated in the assembly and not being perfectly straight.

Just thought I'd let people know ;)

Do you have pictures of internals of this LCD?
Is panel floating alone or is it screwed to the electronics behind?
I'm quite sure the backlight is caused by curved panel (as you can fix it temporarily by manual twist) - so is it curved panel alone or some other parts have their own 3 pennies in that?

Do you have pictures of internals of this LCD?
Is panel floating alone or is it screwed to the electronics behind?
I'm quite sure the backlight is caused by curved panel (as you can fix it temporarily by manual twist) - so is it curved panel alone or some other parts have their own 3 pennies in that?

I didn't take any photos, because I was too busy trying to put it back together properly.

My panel is not curved, but it's basically perfect in terms of BLB. The panel is floating, and not screwed into anything.

Electronics/inverter are screwed into the display section by the VGA and DVI nuts, and the screw beside the DisplayPort connector as well as the four screws behind the plate where the stand connects.

ok - last question

USB ports PCB is attached to panel or back case part?

Electronics. Not the panel nor the chassis.

The buttons are attached to the bezel with three tiny screws and have a ribbon connector going to the electronics.

Can any owners comment on eye-strain/headaches/migraines from using this monitor for long periods of time? If so please also post what brightness setting you are using.

Or has it been confirmed that there is no PWM flicker from the LEDs?

I received my monitor about a month ago and couldn't be happier with it. I haven't noticed any ghosting, and the settings recommended in the forum work great. It's my first IPS monitor, mostly because the price was right and I'd heard great things about it. I'm happy to report no dead pixels!

I have sat playing bf3 for roughly 5 hours and had no strain. two of my friends have this monitor at work (well each have 2) and they do autocad and solidworks all day and haven't noticed any strain

I haven't noticed any strain and I keep my backlight around 10 (out of 100). However, if I wave my fingers in front of an all white screen I do get multiple defined edges of my fingers, which disappear as I increase the brightness to 100. I believe this is an indication of flickering. My only comparison is my old 2007WFP, which does not produce this defined-edge effect at low brightness levels.

Back