Dell U2412M

Denis properly answered your first question and I can concur that white seems like full white.

The monitor's brightness regulation is huge going from over 330 cdm/2 whites down to 45 - 50 cdm/2 which is is great, so it's flexible for all lighting conditions. So even if it reaches full brightness almost instantly. No worries there, and I don't see how any damage could occur to the screen or to your eyes.

I also have gamed on it at brightness of like 5 and 10 and no issues with eyestrain during gaming or during general use of reading web pages, documents, etc.... I don't notice any flickering at all at any brightness I've tried.

The AG is pretty good. It is almost identical to my NEC LCD2490WUXi2-BK even though they are different panels and definitely not intrusive like some other monitors with LG panels. The sparkle effect is fairly minimal in my opinion.

As always look at the monitor displaying a full black screen from as far away as you can and backlight-bleed will stay and intrude from the corners or sides/top/bottom of the screen while the glow will disappear. BLB becomes quite distinct from further away and easy to spot. How much you are willing to tolerate is up to you. I had a little coming from the top right corner and it is seemingly almost 100% gone now. There is still a tiny bit but it is very hard to see.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, 10e and elite0101.

I think I may try an exchange. Hopefully I get a better one this time. I'll let you know, when I have it.

Interesting to compare the pictures posted by holzmann vs GL2814:

2mmhikw.jpg

2.0 seconds

u2412mb.jpg

The white glow, that you see in this picture (from bensen's U2412M) at the bottom right, is what I see from a distance of about 80 cm, sitting in front of my screen (and I see the same in the upper-right).

The one from holzmann is practically free of IPS glow, where as the one from GL2814 has a lot of IPS glow! :eek:

I knew Backlight Bleed varies a lot from one unit to another, but I thought IPS Glow was more or less the same for all units of a specific monitor model?
Is it really normal for IPS Glow to vary this much from one unit to the next? :confused:

Interesting to compare the pictures posted by holzmann vs GL2814:

The one from holzmann is practically free of IPS glow, where as the one from GL2814 has a lot of IPS glow! :eek:

I knew Backlight Bleed varies a lot from one unit to another, but I thought IPS Glow was more or less the same for all units of a specific monitor model?
Is it really normal for IPS Glow to vary this much from one unit to the next? :confused:

IPS glow varies depending on who has taken the picture and from what angle/distance it was taken from.

This is sort of why on page 11 I posted the distance and exposure I took the shot from to make sure people understood where I was sitting in relation to the screen.

The one GL2814 re-posted was a picture by someone else that GL2814 said is indicative of their screen.

I've just called Dell for a replacement and it will arrive tomorrow.

I hope everything will be OK this time. The "old" U2412M will be picked up by Dell, the day after I get the new one, so I will still have the time to compare them.

Just registered to share my experiences with this monitor. This thread was a huge help but had me pretty worried at first!

Picture and Color: I'm using 10e's settings which look perfect in a dimly-lit room. Under bright sunlight it helps to turn the brightness back up a bit. The Lagom test images show awesome results.

Ghosting: I've been gaming on this for a week and ghosting is basically non-existent. If you get up real close you can see a slight decrease in sharpness with quick movements, but NEVER a discernable "ghost" image. It's as good as any other LCD monitor until real conditions. No input lag either.

AG Coating: Not a big deal at all. You can see it on pure whites if you're looking for it, but it's comparable to other monitors.

IPS Glow:The only glow i see is the typical off-axis contrast change. Perfectly uniform and the color shift is very minimal comparing -180 and 180 degrees Nothing like the 2311 problems.

Backlight Bleed: When I first got my monitor i was hugely disappointed here. It looked like that image Oled posted...huge green-tinted bright spots intruding from all four corners. Noticeable under any condition. BUT, like some people have said, this problem gradually goes away! After 3 days it was 75% gone, after a week probably 90% gone. I wish I took before and after pictures to show, because the improvement was very surprising.

Give your monitor at least 7 days to settle before you call Dell for an exchange!

Got 2 problems with my 2412M.

Backlight bleeding is kinda strong after a week its stil the same :mad:
The worst problem is tho i cant get the monitor 100% horizontal, either its to much down to the left or the right, i adjusted the stand a couple of times but i cant get it normal like it should! :mad:

Anyone else with these problems?

When i contact dell should i send them screens of the backlight bleed? Or do they just send a new 1?

for the people who want to return their monitor but still worried about getting a worse one.
because dell will ship a replacement to you first, and you ship the defect one second.
is that a good idea that you can compare them and decide which to be returned?
thanks

Got 2 problems with my 2412M.

Backlight bleeding is kinda strong after a week its stil the same :mad:
The worst problem is tho i cant get the monitor 100% horizontal, either its to much down to the left or the right, i adjusted the stand a couple of times but i cant get it normal like it should! :mad:

Anyone else with these problems?

When i contact dell should i send them screens of the backlight bleed? Or do they just send a new 1?

I was able to loosen the 4 screws on the stand and rotate it a tiny bit. Now it's perfectly horizontal.

So, to be a bit clearer, is IPS glow just a general whiteness in the all-black image, sort of like looking at the sky on a cloudy night in a city?

So, to be a bit clearer, is IPS glow just a general whiteness in the all-black image, sort of like looking at the sky on a cloudy night in a city?

I'm no expert, but it's a glow at the 4 corners. The further away you are (the more perpendicular with that specific planar area overall - the more "dead on"), the less glow there is.

Likewise, if you put your head directly over one of the corners, the glow should go away.

Backlight bleed will always be constant, no matter how you move around.

All that above is assuming I'm not wrong on what IPS glow is.

Anyone know if this monitor has less motion blur than the samsung PLS screens that recently came out?

I'm no expert, but it's a glow at the 4 corners. The further away you are (the more perpendicular with that specific planar area overall - the more "dead on"), the less glow there is.

Likewise, if you put your head directly over one of the corners, the glow should go away.

Backlight bleed will always be constant, no matter how you move around.

All that above is assuming I'm not wrong on what IPS glow is.

Sounds fine to me. This is why I usually tell people to move back a few feet straight-on and look, so they can see the whole image and discrepancies become more obvious.

Anyone know if this monitor has less motion blur than the samsung PLS screens that recently came out?

Can't say for sure. The one Xbitlabs review on the A850 27" gave it a good score for responsiveness and Prad gave the U2412M a good score for responsiveness, so they should be close. Neither is TN speed, but both should be solid.

Great info in this thread, thanks to everyone for their contributions.
The monitor is $319 today at Dell Canada, the U2410 is $419 as well.
I want to get the 2410, but I don't really want the hassle of a wide color gamut.
I think I'm going to order the 2412 today.
I'll use it for general web surfing, gaming and I might get into photography.
I think it'll suffice. Thanks again for everyones posts in this thread.:)

got 3 last nite, however the home internets are down, I only had time to hook up one, as I also got my 6970 back from RMA yesterday and have to throw that back in.

So far I'm very impressed with the monitor, I just turned down the brightness and contrast slightly and I'm happy :D

got mine @ $280/each after tax :D

Finally pulled the trigger on this, comes tomorrow, will report back with thoughts.

If all goes well, I will get another!

I am still hemming and hawing between getting the Dell U2412M or P2412H - I really like the looks and design of both monitors (same design).

Primary purpose: office work, reading documents, web browsing, viewing web videos.
Secondary purpose: DVD movies (maybe Blu-ray in future), photo viewing.

Some thoughts:

• IPS Glow: checked out LG 23" IPS and Dell U2711 in-store, am ok with mild IPS glow
  • Backlight Bleed: still a concern with U2412M. Didn't see bleed on in-store LG 23" IPS or Dell U2711 (cherry-picked display models?)
  • Pixel size: Need easy-to-read text for office work reading. Does U2412M's 0.27 pixel size (1900x1200) make text reading more difficult than P2412H's 0.277 pixel size (1920x1080)? Anyone have experiences or opinions regarding this key issue for me?
  • Movie viewing: Prefer not to see black bands above/below movie, if possible, but this isn't a clincher.
  • Colors: Prefer IPS' better colors over TN's (did a side-by-side in-store comparison)
  • Contrast: Which technology offers better contrast ratio and black depth, IPS or TN?
  • Viewing Angle: My in-store research shows modern TN viewing angle is MUCH improved over my 7 year-old TN monitor and therefore viewing angle not an issue for me.
  • Response time, Ghosting, Motion blur, Input lag: Prefer not to experience any of those potential problems with U2412M when watching DVD/web movies or quickly scrolling down web pages, etc. I assume P2412H's TN panel won't have those kinds of problems. Is movie playback on U2412M good or noisy?
  • Monitor Reviews: There are many U2412M reviews available but no P2412H reviews, so far. Aargh! But the good news is I'm much closer to finally making a decision.

A lot of movies these days, if not most, are shot in even wider aspects than 16:9; so you're gonna see black bars regardless... There's probably more 16:9 TV content than anything. As far as PPI, I seriously don't you could notice a difference of .007. It's not like you're comparing 1920x1080 at 22" vs 24" or 27". Did you focus on horizontal viewing angles at the store btw? My 3 year old Samsung TN does fine there, but vertical is still awful. Leaning slightly back is enough to make all shades of grey and black on these forums meld into one.

The effect depends on your viewing position and changes when you watch from different angles. It's best seen by watching a video showing the IPS glow effect. See this for example:...
I think there are two, maybe different phenomena, and I'm trying to sort out which is which to make a decision as my 21 days runs out (i've had the screen for 15 days and it's gotten plenty of use).

The light in the corners has gotten smaller over time and it disappears entirely or close to entirely as I move my head in front of each spot. I thought that was called backlight bleed, but now it seems to be called IPS glow.

Then there is the overall effect, which is what I'm really asking about and, of course, is easier to see than describe. My black screen is not pitch black, but has an overall relatively even illuminated effect. It's sort of like the illumination of the city sky - black but light seeming to come through in all parts. Think of this as the opposite of light completely overpowering the black in whole or part of the screen. Is this illuminated effect what's called LED effect or backlight bleed? And, of course, is it normal? Thanks,

If they left IPS glow purple like it always been then I think there would be much less confusion right now ...

A lot of movies these days, if not most, are shot in even wider aspects than 16:9; so you're gonna see black bars regardless... There's probably more 16:9 TV content than anything. As far as PPI, I seriously don't you could notice a difference of .007. It's not like you're comparing 1920x1080 at 22" vs 24" or 27". Did you focus on horizontal viewing angles at the store btw? My 3 year old Samsung TN does fine there, but vertical is still awful. Leaning slightly back is enough to make all shades of grey and black on these forums meld into one.

Impulse, your point about wider aspect movies is spot on so I'm not real concerned about the black bars (since my primary use is office work, web browsing, and web videos). I checked out vertical and horizontal viewing problems on the latest TN panels from Viewsonic, LG, Samsung, AOC, Asus, HP, and other brands in-store. Supposedly TN panel tech has improved somewhat on viewing angles. Regardless, I didn't notice and wasn't bothered by any viewing angle problems on any of the TN monitors. Which means I'm relatively insensitive to viewing angle problems.

Been using this for around 3 hours and loving it!

I'm currently using 10e settings but finding it too bright, if a lower the brightness will this result in not so good colour quality?

Just got this monitor today. No visible backlight bleeding that I could find. There is IPS glow but thats standard though. The build quality of this monitor is so much better than the samsung PLS panels.

I may have gotten lucky with no visible backlight bleed.

@Galvin you had first hand experience with that PLS Samsung. Now when you have Dell, how would you compare AG coating? And black level, thanks.

@Galvin you had first hand experience with that PLS Samsung. Now when you have Dell, how would you compare AG coating? And black level, thanks.

i think the coating was better on the samsung, but it doesn't bother me though. Hard to tell since I don't have the samsung anymore.

One thing I noticed with samsung PLS was better extreme viewing angles, but is meaningless though since you're looking head on anyway.

Last edited:
HP will be releasing a new 24" soon, I would wait for reviews before purchasing anything

hey guys is it normal for this monitor to have very dark 'white' ? I know that's a bit of an oxymoron but my monitor does not appear to display white at all, it's more like shades of gray.

there's maybe 10-15% of the screen (towards centre botom) where whites appears *somewhat white-like* but everywhere else they're gray/silver with a tinge of purple.

This is not IPS glow or is it ?

Love the monitor otherwise, colours are spectacular in games, I just don't like gray /silver replacing white everywhere else eg. backgrounds on web pages etc

I took this shot with my digital camera
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/p1000483l.jpg/

HP will be releasing a new 24" soon, I would wait for reviews before purchasing anything

Really? Haven't heard anything about that, but it sounds reasonable considering that it was some time ago since ZR24W was released. Could you please share what's known at the moment?

If you want 1:1 pixel mapping and you're using it for PC only. The nvidia drivers support this. Using the latest 285 beta drivers, I set it to not scale the display and to override scaling set by games and programs.

So I tested with world of warcraft at 1080x1200, got the blackbars, but had the same exact size as a 23" 1080p screen. This is good incase some people want a wider FoV.

I just received a U2412M today and the backlight bleed is pretty bad:

vuIH7.jpg

I'm going to give it a few days to break in, but it's probably going back. Are other models like the HP ZR24W less prone to this problem? I'm trying to decide if I should exchange or get a refund.

The problem hasn't gotten any better so I called Dell for an exchange. The rep was friendly but it took about 20 minutes on the phone to get the exchange processed.

By coincidence I recently got two U2410s and work at they're both perfect. I like the styling of the U2410 better but it's not worth the extra $170.

Hopefully my second U2412M is better. I'm also planning to get a second U2412M for home, assuming by replacement is decent quality.

Really? Haven't heard anything about that, but it sounds reasonable considering that it was some time ago since ZR24W was released. Could you please share what's known at the moment?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636360
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636832

The search button is your friend, but you're right, I think the ZR24w is about a year old. I believe this new version is just an LED-lit replacement, but I'm not positive, the 16:10 24" model won't be available until October and it'll debut at slightly over $400 tho so I'm not sure it's worth waiting for (and I say that even tho I was considering buying 2x ZR24W).

I'm in Winnipeg, $300 tax in is a fantastic price though.

I just called Dell Puerto Rico for a price quote... When I had checked the PR site a few days ago it wanted to charge me $100 for S&H AND full taxes on the $400 price pre-discounts (even tho before being added to cart the display was listed at $320) , which is ridiculous. Then yesterday the U2412M disappeared entirely from the site. So anyway I initiated a chat session with a rep and didn't mention anything about the online price/charges, just that the U2412M wasn't showing up online... They gave me a price quote of $643 for two of them, including tax (7%) and a promotional $1 shipping fee apparently. So basically $300 per screen with free shipping.

I'm almost tempted to order THREE of them now. Originally I intended to buy two and pair them with my existing 1920x1200 TN display for Eyefinity, I figured if I hated EF I'd just sell the TN and it wasn't a big deal (either way I finally push my old 19" CRT off the desk)... I could always buy a matching third later on if lack of uniformity bothered me.

I guess I should stick to the plan... Dell's always running discounts on displays anyway. I'm ecstatic about the $1 shipping tho, heh. Here in PR we rarely get free shipping on anything unless it's Ebay, usually get charged extra (if they ship here at all), even Amazon charges extra and doesn't honor Prime or anything.

Got mine and I love it. I cannot provide fancy calibration numbers and such, but it exceeds my expecations. Thank you to LOLANG and the Dell rep who helped me out on the early discount. I also want to thank 10e for obvious reasons.

(As an aside, why isn't oled banned yet? He brings nothing of value to any discussion here.)

Back