CONTROL (Remedy)

Yeah, all maxxed and no DLSS I get around 70-80 FPS average on my 5600x and 3080 @ 1440p...
120FPS w/ DLSS on, with a non-noticeable slight degredation to image quality. But you'll not notice it during regular play at all. And the frame times are quite a bit lower as a result of the higher frames. So things feel snappier/smoother, even with G-Sync factored it.

I'm a big fan of DLSS (as least when implemented well). I really hope it picks up steam, because almost none use it right now.
Agreed on DLSS, when it’s done right it’s pretty damn great.

native is always better then DLSS in terms of image quality but Nvidia has really done a great job with DLSS 2.0...I believe Death Stranding is the only game where DLSS actually looks better then native

native is always better then DLSS in terms of image quality but Nvidia has really done a great job with DLSS 2.0...I believe Death Stranding is the only game where DLSS actually looks better then native
Gamer's Nexus - did a review and showed that DLSS 2.0 sometimes looked better on Cyberpunk 2077 on than off. The AI added detail that sometimes wasn't present at native res -- but it had a few artifacts from time to time that the devs will still have to sort out.

For example:
1611964669500.png

Last edited:
When people mention DLSS they need to say what DLSS mode they're actually running.
DLSS in Control doesn't have a type selection (ie quality, performance, etc). Checking DLSS does open a new "render resolution" option for objects and the like that you can toggle between, which are probably the quality, performance etc equivalents. I mentioned everything is maxx for me, including the DLSS render resolution
DLSS off:
dlss.jpg

DLSS on (changes the render resolution choices):
dlssoff.jpg

So the 120FPS that Furious Nerd reports on his 3080 with DLSS on is in the generally appropriate range for a 3070 with DLSS on to be in the 90 FPS range.

Furious Nerd - can you turn off DLSS? I can uncheck it, but it always is rechecked when I come back in to the settings?!?
I can definitely uncheck it and it keeps unchecked (and frame drops appropriately). I'm on the latest version (GOG), and nVidia drivers the latest before this last one (461.09)

Gamer's Nexus - did a review and showed that DLSS 2.0 sometimes looked better on Cyberpunk 2077 on than off. The AI added detail that sometimes wasn't present at native res -- but it had a few artifacts from time to time that the devs will still have to sort out.

For example:
View attachment 324262

Keep in mind, these 400% ZOOMED IN STILLS are not a fair comparison. Unless you can pause time and have the literal eyes of an eagle IRL, when all this goes into motion, it's not something you notice. Granted, I didn't play CP2077 so can only speak for Control. In motion, the game will subjectively look more or less exactly the same DLSS on and off. It's so minor that these reviewers literally have to do 400% zoom in stills on everything to nit pick the minor details. This goes for both the image quality "improvements", and "degredations". For example they say Control's protoganist hair looks better with DLSS. For one thing it's so minor, yeah you'd only notice it when paused and you put your face right up to the screen. Second, I never once ever went during gameplay "you know, her hair looking 10% less aliased due to DLSS really makes this game so much prettier and more enjoyable" :p

In Control, I turn it on, get almost 2x the FPS, things look the same, but frame rate is better, and frame times are much lower and more consistent, and it feels better to play as a result, while looking pretty well the same. That's what matters to me :) DLSS is a big win for Control.

The only downside in Control at least is that there is some weird looking "noise" on some walls in certain situations, relating to the materials in the scene. But it's not distracting, certainly not "ewww, wtf this looks broken", and doesn't happen in enough places for me to even think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only downside in Control at least is that there is some weird looking "noise" on some walls in certain situations, relating to the materials in the scene. But it's not distracting, certainly not "ewww, wtf this looks broken", and doesn't happen in enough places for me to even think about it.

Control doesn't have the best implementation of DLSS, it looks fine for the most part, but what you say is "weird noise" looks WTF this is broken to me. When I first saw something like that I was gawking at it for minutes disbelieving. So it was certainly distracting to me.

In CP2077 I haven't seen anything noticeable on DLSS Quality. But any lesser setting immediately seems wrong. Unfortunately I can't max out CP2077 even with DLSS, because it becomes unplayable. So I had to settle for RTX High, instead of Psycho.

Interesting, I wonder if the improved the efficiency of the textures or something... I know Warframe has shrunk the game about 40% in the last few patches by doing that.

Finished the game, just side missions now and roaming around. What an incredible game, loved it. It is definitely way up there for games I've played. Will probably get the DLCs. Game looks good even without RT but RT does add more depth to it. Anyways at 1440p, max settings without motion blur and film grain and RT maxed, no DLSS I was getting 70fps+. Did not like DLSS due to animated noise mostly on any surface with specular highlights plus I did notice the lower resolution rendering. Maybe at 4K DLSS would come on its own in this title.

I'm just starting on the game now that it's a PlayStation Plus freebie. I can tell it's not making the most of my PS5, but the ray tracing is pretty and the game is wonderfully, relentlessly weird. I appreciate games that have a very 'opinionated' story and aesthetic instead of trying to appeal to absolutely everyone.

I'm just starting on the game now that it's a PlayStation Plus freebie. I can tell it's not making the most of my PS5, but the ray tracing is pretty and the game is wonderfully, relentlessly weird. I appreciate games that have a very 'opinionated' story and aesthetic instead of trying to appeal to absolutely everyone.
I thought control hadn't patched in ps5/Xbox Series X enhancements yet?

Digital Foundry take on the Consoles but also a section comparing it to a 6800 XT in which the Console beat the 6800 XT in performance which is interesting. Now the why is unclear. Anyways the XBox Series X, full Ray Tracing which renders at 1440p upscaled to 4K is getting in the 50's fps, PS5 is less, 6800 XT in the 30's. They got around the 30fps lock in quality mode in the game by going to photo mode.

Guy at work who is a Walmart Lifer said this game is free on PS plus. He said he really likes it.

Last edited:
I thought control hadn't patched in ps5/Xbox Series X enhancements yet?
Only just came out alongside the PS Plus freebie. It's definitely PS5-optimized... the ray tracing option I've been using would melt the PS4 given that the earlier console could barely handle the regular game!

Still enjoying my way through the game. I think I'm 75-80% through and suddenly the boss fights are incredibly hard... I don't understand why. Probably have to come back to them after some upgrades, but the previous bosses didn't present any challenges. Now all of a sudden I have 3 or 4 boss missions in my log that I keep dying over and over on each of them.

Anyone else feel like the notes/backstory bits are a waste of time? They are super interesting and relevant at first, but then the notes and memos you find just become so tedious and convoluted and uninteresting. I was totally into the notes at first, it's my jam in video games. But with this one I stopped bothering to read them or caring much.
At least the characters and all else is still strong

You do know you can adjust the settings to make it easier? That makes a lot more sense than dying over and over and then wanting to come back later to keep repeating.

I just hopped in and played another section the other night for the first time in a bit. Got distracted by shiny indie games :D

Enjoyed it thoroughly as I have up to this point. Hoping to take another chunk out of it next weekend.

It's a pretty amazing game, if you like remedy stuff. Playing this made me grab Alan Wake (and the semi-sequel American Nightmare), and while it's looking pretty dated on some levels, you can see much of what makes Control so good in it. I can't wait to do a second playthrough with an RTX capable card!

It's a pretty amazing game, if you like remedy stuff. Playing this made me grab Alan Wake (and the semi-sequel American Nightmare), and while it's looking pretty dated on some levels, you can see much of what makes Control so good in it. I can't wait to do a second playthrough with an RTX capable card!

Control was the first RTX game that I played that I actually noticed that RTX was on. It looks pretty damn good

Control was the first RTX game that I played that I actually noticed that RTX was on. It looks pretty damn good
I'll be honest... so if you look back in this thread, I had a nVidia 3080. I played most of my playtime with DLSS half the time off half the time on, and RT on ultra of course.

I did not notice the RT effects much. I just plain didn't. Especially after the first 20 minutes of the game when you stop looking for it and just play the game. This was also my first (and I think only) RT experience.

A few weeks ago I changed a RX 6800 (so no RT) and I don't miss or even notice the RT absence.

That's all I have to say :beaver:
----
DLSS is the real deal though. It would make high end cards for gaming practically obsolete if all games had this feature in it :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to pick this up for $16...is this just an RTX demo or does the gameplay hold up even if you don't have an RTX card?...2) how are the DLC?

* I have an RTX 3080 but this game always seemed like it was made to showcase RTX

Last edited:
is this just an RTX demo or does the gameplay hold up even if you don't have an RTX card?...2) how are the DLC?
Even without an RTX card the game looked and played great (mostly). After completing it I posted my thoughts here a few pages back.
As for the DLC I read the difficulty is scaled to a character which has completed the base game, thus best left for late game.

I don't have an RTX card, and I'm hoping to get a 3080 just to replay. (slightly kidding)

If you like SCP Foundation, X-Files, Warehouse 13... BUY THIS GAME!

Lows
-Combat, part (1) The general combat is fun at first, but feels tedious late game as even with fully upgraded weapons/mods/trees you don't feel like you've been upgraded as much as the enemies
-Combat, part (2) Weapons share ammo cooldowns, adding to the clunkiness just to incentivize skill usage
-Combat, part (3) There is no 'assault rifle' archetype. You have your pistol, sniper, shotgun, grenade launcher and close range smg but no assault rifle. Annoying since most fights are medium to long range where an AR would be perfect. Any other game developer on the planet would have put an AR in the game, nah these devs said fuck that.
-Combat, part (4) Outside enemy drops, you have no way of healing, no oh-shit button. Fights against bosses where theres no adds, you need to be "perfect" in your gameplay or it's back to the bonfire aka control point.
-Combat, part (5) Launch, your bread and butter ability, misses often due to the item(s) you're throwing colliding with random world obstacles before reaching your target. In some end game fights this was SO annoying.

isn't combat one of the main features of the game?...seems like you rate that aspect pretty low

I'm tempted to pick this up for $16...is this just an RTX demo or does the gameplay hold up even if you don't have an RTX card?...2) how are the DLC?

* I have an RTX 3080 but this game always seemed like it was made to showcase RTX

It is a good game. I played without RTX, or most of it off. Only played it with ray tracing for the DLCs. Game looks good without it. In some ways ray tracing doesn't look quite as good, IMO.

isn't combat one of the main features of the game?...seems like you rate that aspect pretty low
By the time you get to the point where the combat feels tedious (the last couple levels especially), you would already have gotten your money's worth. For the majority of the game it's perfectly fine and fun to play.
The combat isn't the star of the show with this game, it's the Oldest House, (that article prob contains spoilers) the building in which most of the gameplay takes place. The atmosphere, story telling, level design, and "weird events" of the Oldest House that take place as the game progresses are the real draw.

Those are all valid flaws of the game, and still combat is the most fun part of it. But as said it gets old by the end, so old that I had no desire to finish the DLCs after the main game. Abandoned halfway through the first, and played maybe half an hour of the second before calling it.

By the time you get to the point where the combat feels tedious (the last couple levels especially), you would already have gotten your money's worth. For the majority of the game it's perfectly fine and fun to play.
The combat isn't the star of the show with this game, it's the Oldest House, (that article prob contains spoilers) the building in which most of the gameplay takes place. The atmosphere, story telling, level design, and "weird events" of the Oldest House that take place as the game progresses are the real draw.
Well, I have to respectfully disagree. The combat is the only draw of the game. The story is cliched, often incoherent, sets up characters then completely forgets about them, the enemy is this faceless entity that does not evoke any kind of emotion, it just is. The main character's involvement seems forced and rests solely on the Mary Sue premise. The weird events seem fun at first, then quickly become just obstacles rolled in front of your progression, and the oldest house is nomen est omen, as it really really gets old, with the enormous amounts of backtracking you are forced to do in the game. Further reinforced by the atrocious automap, that has you running in circles often for 10 minutes before finding your way where you actually needed to go to.

The combat is ok, the animations are great, and the weirdness is the draw (if you enjoy Twilight Zone style mixed with a Escher Painting) Overall it is a good game, made better by RTX and it runs without needing DLSS on a 3080 I believe.

The game is good/great as the sum of its parts, if you dislike one of those parts the entire game suffers.

As for the DLC I read the difficulty is scaled to a character which has completed the base game, thus best left for late game.
If this is true that would explain why suddenly I have such a hard time with some boss missions. Guess I'll just play the main story-line missions and complete the game before returning to those harder missions

I agree that the atmosphere/setting was the star of the game, the combat is okay if you like being frustrated at overly-difficult BS. And hey, some people apparently do, so more power to you. I didn't see much reason to do the jukebox stuff after getting completely destroyed on the first couple of tries.

I do need to go back and do some of the expansion content, though.

The setting and atmosphere was unique and interesting at first but after 2 hours you realize it's all copy pasted and it all looks the same and boring to be honest.

The setting and atmosphere was unique and interesting at first but after 2 hours you realize it's all copy pasted and it all looks the same and boring to be honest.
There were a few unique moments, but this is very accurate.
I agree that the atmosphere/setting was the star of the game, the combat is okay if you like being frustrated at overly-difficult BS. And hey, some people apparently do, so more power to you. I didn't see much reason to do the jukebox stuff after getting completely destroyed on the first couple of tries.

I did the Jukebox maybe two times before just being exhausted by the combat. But if you like the combat you may love that mode.

There are a lot of interesting aspects of this game but it ends with so few answers and substance that it felt very empty by the end.

Seen quite a few posts from people saying that the TVA in the Loki trailer reminds them of the Federal Bureau from this game.

I love difficult games but unlike Dark Souls where each encounter feels unique, Control looks like it might get old fast...seeing the particle effects, ray traced reflections and using your powers to destroy everything might be fun the first few times but doing that again and again is what concerned me about the game...either way $16 for the Complete Edition seems worth it

I love difficult games but unlike Dark Souls where each encounter feels unique, Control looks like it might get old fast...seeing the particle effects, ray traced reflections and using your powers to destroy everything might be fun the first few times but doing that again and again is what concerned me about the game...either way $16 for the Complete Edition seems worth it

It is far from a difficult game. Random battles I rarely died. Boss battles it took less than 5 times on one or two bosses.
I got the ps4 version for $3 from Wal-Mart. I agree 100% with M76 - it had potential for a great game, but it fizzles out, they go nowhere with this rich universe. Sure the gameplay is fun, but near the end of the game it gets boring and repetitive. Once I get a ps5, this won't be a game I replay to see the pretty effects. I'm not going to pay for it on PC either. $3 is in my opinion what it is worth.

Back