Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Mouse felt better in beta than they do in the release... wtf? It feels like there's smoothing despite having raw input on. Also, the sensitivity for vehicles is way higher, something they also left out too.

It feels like a terrible console port with tons of negative acceleration. Why have a checkbox for raw mouse input if it doesnt do what it says it will do?
I heard this isnt a problem if you have a standard mouse, but for all the people with gaming mice using high polling rates and DPI settings, we get the shaft.

So much for PC being the focus platform.

I know I'm not playing much till they fix this crap, shouldnt have to alter my mouse settings everytime I play a different game and then again when I get back to windows just so my mouse controls on the desktop how I am used to it at.

It feels like a terrible console port with tons of negative acceleration. Why have a checkbox for raw mouse input if it doesnt do what it says it will do?
I heard this isnt a problem if you have a standard mouse, but for all the people with gaming mice using high polling rates and DPI settings, we get the shaft.

So much for PC being the focus platform.

I know I'm not playing much till they fix this crap, shouldnt have to alter my mouse settings everytime I play a different game and then again when I get back to windows just so my mouse controls on the desktop how I am used to it at.

Pre-order cancelled!!!!!

What is best FOV setting for a 24" display at 1920x1200?

I increased it up to 85 and seems like its still "off" a bit?

In the beta there was an option to have the weapon zoom/sight button toggle rather than hold... I don't see it anymore. Anyone know if they removed this or am I missing it somewhere?

OK, I decided to just post here rather than start ANOTHER BF3 thread. Wanted to discuss a few things. First, I think the game is very good. I don't know if it's the newness, but it seems to play a lot different than Bad Company 2 multiplayer. Everything seems faster. Recon is normally my favorite, but I found myself playing as Engineer mostly. Sniping just isn't the same in this game. I really like the maps.

I did have problems with sign in and lock ups. One thing I noticed is that I can't spawn on my squad. In BC2 I would click on a little green arrow (my squad mate) on the map and spawn there. I can't click on any one, but I notice a message while I'm playing that says, "Squad will spawn on you."

But my biggest question is in the server browser why is there no number for the "Ping"? Is anyone else seeing a number? All mine has is a dash for every server. I've never had a problem in any other game. In BC2 I get pings as low as the 50s for a lot of servers. It's usually how I pick a server...lowest ping with a good number of players. But now I just have to click on one. I haven't had any lag on any server, but I feel like I'm going in blind.

One thing I noticed is that I can't spawn on my squad. In BC2 I would click on a little green arrow (my squad mate) on the map and spawn there. I can't click on any one, but I notice a message while I'm playing that says, "Squad will spawn on you."

That means you're the Squad Leader. You can only spawn on a squad leader (by default I think) so you don't have that option but others in your squad can spawn on you.

But my biggest question is in the server browser why is there no number for the "Ping"? Is anyone else seeing a number? All mine has is a dash for every server. I've never had a problem in any other game. In BC2 I get pings as low as the 50s for a lot of servers. It's usually how I pick a server...lowest ping with a good number of players. But now I just have to click on one. I haven't had any lag on any server, but I feel like I'm going in blind.

Run your browser with admin rights.

OK, I decided to just post here rather than start ANOTHER BF3 thread. Wanted to discuss a few things. First, I think the game is very good. I don't know if it's the newness, but it seems to play a lot different than Bad Company 2 multiplayer. Everything seems faster. Recon is normally my favorite, but I found myself playing as Engineer mostly. Sniping just isn't the same in this game. I really like the maps.

I did have problems with sign in and lock ups. One thing I noticed is that I can't spawn on my squad. In BC2 I would click on a little green arrow (my squad mate) on the map and spawn there. I can't click on any one, but I notice a message while I'm playing that says, "Squad will spawn on you."

You can't click on the map anymore to spawn on things as far as I can tell. Just click on a squadmate's name to spawn on them.

Pings show up for me. Perhaps it's your router.

Jesus Christ still getting "kicked by administrator" even after updating PB. Some servers work, most don't.

Its either that, or just a random disconnect.

In the beta there was an option to have the weapon zoom/sight button toggle rather than hold... I don't see it anymore. Anyone know if they removed this or am I missing it somewhere?

It's still there. I think it is on the very first option page.

I wasn't seeing the ping times either in IE9, but they are there in Firefox.

Yes, I saw this option in the controls section of Settings

Jesus Christ still getting "kicked by administrator" even after updating PB. Some servers work, most don't.

Its either that, or just a random disconnect.

I had a similar problem with BC2 for the longest time. After months of trouble shooting and putting up with only getting about 1.5 games in before I would end up kicked, I decided to start monkeying with my network adapter's drivers. I rolled back a version and all was good.

Atheros on a ASUS board.

Maybe try that.

What is best FOV setting for a 24" display at 1920x1200?

I increased it up to 85 and seems like its still "off" a bit?

use this calculator which was created for BC2. someone already posted it in this thread once. the FOV in game is vertical FOV. i use 105 degrees of horiz FOV, so that equates to setting the vert FOV at 73 in game for a 16:9 screen.

They nerfed snipers a ridiculous amount. Takes 2 headshots to kill, 3-4 body shots. SV98 on hardcore isn't even one hit kill to the throat.

I have a brand-new G700 at 4000 DPI and I haver no problem with the mouse movement. Lowering the sensitivity a tad in-game and turning on raw mouse movement made it even better.

Anyone using EF missing in game indicators (hints or enemy indicators)?
I have nothing, despite a nice smooth game experience.

Secondly, if I go to adjust something from the options screen and try to go back to the game I freeze right there to a hard reset?

Frustrating.
Sig in profile.
Settings: Ultra without AO and AA=FXAA Driver 11.10 Preview3, no CAP
FPS a nice smooth 60-65.:D

They nerfed snipers a ridiculous amount. Takes 2 headshots to kill, 3-4 body shots. SV98 on hardcore isn't even one hit kill to the throat.

the semi autos do like 40 fucking damage a shot at mid range and kill in 1 dome hit.

they are pretty fucking strong.

Anyone using EF missing in game indicators (hints or enemy indicators)?
I have nothing, despite a nice smooth game experience.

Secondly, if I go to adjust something from the options screen and try to go back to the game I freeze right there to a hard reset?

Frustrating.
Sig in profile.
Settings: Ultra without AO and AA=FXAA Driver 11.10 Preview3, no CAP
FPS a nice smooth 60-65.:D

It's a known issue with eyefinity / nv surround right now. There's a thread on WSGF about it. Some indicators are missing and some are misaligned. Some prompts don't appear either (like hold R to pick up a gun / kit).

If you run a non-native res, everything will show up... but your HUD will no longer be centered.

how do you get game to save your load out and camo? seems i have to reset it everytime I start a fresh mp session

Good, it was a fucking sniper fest in the beta.

Now to see if SMGs are still overpowered...

Did they change the IRNV scope? Or is there a toggle between IR and NV that I'm missing?

The problem is the bolt actions. They nerfed them so much taht it's pointless to use, so everyone spams autos.

I'm running 11.10 Preview 3 and it's been ok so far, tried out the SP a bit and didn't have any crashes. I might turn down to 2xMSAA for better performance though, guess at 2560x1600 it doesn't really make that big of a difference. Anybody play with Motion Blur on? Does it heavily affect performance?

Hope they fix the Hyperthreading bug so I can turn HT back on. Otherwise I had a lot of fun playing as assault tonight.

I dunno man, I have been smoked by single sniper shots all day long. I am talking about 100% and then dead.

One thing I have noticed is that BF3 goes the extra mile on bullet travel time and simulated projectory. If you want to see it in the extreme, pick up a AK-74 with a scope and shoot long distance at someone, it's almost what it would be like in reality... it takes some time for the bullet to get there and with the scope, you can see it drop just like it does in real life. It's fun, you have to lead your prey a little and raise your muzzle to make sure you get a hit.

Hope they fix the Hyperthreading bug so I can turn HT back on. Otherwise I had a lot of fun playing as assault tonight.

What kind of bug are we talking about? I have a 2600K and HT is on and I played all day long. Is something wrong?

What kind of bug are we talking about? I have a 2600K and HT is on and I played all day long. Is something wrong?

It can cause a hitch or stutter every few seconds. Me and the friend I was playing with both experienced it and the google fix is to turn HT off. Worked for both of us.

Is there a time Hard members play on the official conquest server? It's currently empty :(

Cannot stand this lag/stuttering in this game right now, serious game breaking problem.

Yep, if you are on a dual core or something set affinity to one. It stops the stuttering (But also destroys your fps, you'll have turn most thing sto medium/off).

I ran into an issue where I couldnt join my friends server. Said my game wasnt up to date. I checked for an update within origin and it said my game was up to date... So i did repair install and now the game wont even launch. Keeps saying installing but does nothing.

Back