ASUS - our 5 year warranty is really only 3 years

I don't get the people that say they aren't going to buy asus over this (unless this actually happened to you). I have had Asus, MSI, asrock, and gigabyte boards over the past 3 years.

The only one that was quirk free with out odd issues was the asus board. The other boards weren't defective they just had known quirks.

So when people say they wont buy asus because of others bad experiences, it's like they are saying to me that they would rather buy a product that just doesn't quite work right from the beginning in hopes that when it breaks more they can get a "fixed" still quirky product. I'd rather take the one that works great with no warranty than one that doesn't with a warranty.

Fair point, but this is the reason I tipped over, just to give you an idea of whats going through my head.

This guy had a legitimate issue. An embarrassing one from the OEM's standpoint, as the TUF product line has ALWAYS had a 5-year warranty. Its part of the TUF branding, its part of the sabertooth and gryphon lines' sales appeal. They had a systems hickup that caused the board to show up as '3 years'.

Okay that's an honest mistake. The guy contacted Asus and they fixed it all up.

Wait, no they didn't. They put up a brick wall and refused to honor the warranty. Bad news, but also something that is most likely a systems error and the staff weren't trained enough in the offered product lines to see the issue (though they SHOULD HAVE). So the guy told us here (which is what should happen) and Raja jumped on the thread. Raja, the ASUS online representative for the company to (most) English speaking hardware websites, who showed up to save the day!

After Raja showed up, the guy got his board warranty honored and everything turned out fine!

Wait, no it didn't. Even with the secret Konami-code warranty cheats that Raja offered, not to mention the red flags that SHOULD have been raised to make sure this sort of public, highly visible and vocal user gets taken care of, ASUS STILL screwed it up. in other words, their ineptitude was so thick that people in high-up places within the company cant even force the process along manually.

Yes this is ONE instance. but if you look at the way it was handled, and if you look at the almost weekly "WTF Asus" threads that pop up here, you get a pretty consistent picture.

I don't get the people that say they aren't going to buy asus over this (unless this actually happened to you). I have had Asus, MSI, asrock, and gigabyte boards over the past 3 years.
I'd rather take the one that works great with no warranty than one that doesn't with a warranty.

Warranty support shouldn't be optional. Dealing with asus feels like trying to deal with rebates or insurance companies.

Read the complaints on asus at consumeraffairs/bbb and probably others. It's not just motherboards and videocards that have problems.

With the manufacturing processes being pushed to the limit nowadays and being shipped long distances, you need a warranty. Every company has duds, and not all of them are user error.

Not saying you don't need a warranty but asus has the best quality. I'm saying I would rather buy something that is going to work right and might die with no warranty that something that will have issues from the get go.

Not saying you don't need a warranty but asus has the best quality. I'm saying I would rather buy something that is going to work right and might die with no warranty that something that will have issues from the get go.

The more you rely on a machine, the more you realize that EVERYTHING has the chance of breaking. everyone makes duds. one of the reasons why Dell and HP are so damn popular in the corporate space has nothing to do with their hardware reliability, it has to do with how quick their warranty service team is to respond to faults. I understand where you come from: "I'd rather have a great product and a shit warranty than a shit product with a great warranty." but the problem is that even great products break, and have duds. Mr. 'bought the shit product' may break sooner, he is back on-track in a few days because the warranty support was awesome, this may happen to him three or four times, but each time, he is back up and running in a week or so. Whereas you: Mr. 'bought the great product' will run great, and possibly never encounter an issue, but if you do: you possibly encounter hostility and mixups when you try to make right on your warranty, and be out of commission for months.

I have had an experience like that with WD. I sent in a hard drive for warranty replacement a few months after I bought it because it had developed a number of bad sectors and the system would occasionally decide not to recognize the drive at all. They processed the RMA online without having to chat with someone, I shipped it in, then received the replacement in short order. The replacement was labeled refurbished and had only a 90 warranty, despite the fact that the original drive was a higher-end model with their old 5-year warranty.

I can fully understand not giving me another 5 years from the date of replacement, but I'm pretty sure companies used to consider the warranty period for a replacement as the remaining time of the original warranty. Hell, even ASUS did as much on my old S939 motherboard where the chipset kept melting down. Things have not changed for the better in recent years.

I've had this happen with WD as well. Contacting a rep about it got it fixed up within a few days.

TBH, I believe that if you look hard enough, you could find a thread like this about any vendor. Personally, I haven't had the best of luck with Gigabyte, MSI and WD (especially Gigabyte).

TBH, I believe that if you look hard enough, you could find a thread like this about any vendor. Personally, I haven't had the best of luck with Gigabyte, MSI and WD (especially Gigabyte).

Except you don't have to look hard around here to hear Asus horror stories. I have been researching for a new computer, and this latest story about Asus is pulling me away from ever using them again.

I was pretty wary when sending in my WD drive recently. The 18 pages of instructions and the do's and don'ts of shipping the device made me worried I would get back a drive still broke and a voided warranty.

Turns out I was worried for nothing. I shipped it in the 2" of bubble wrap they require and my new drive was shipped the same day. Very fast service. My only real issue was the new drive was pretty sloppy in there and bouncing around.

Any RMA scenario for me is usually worrying. Might be my nature. Companies aren't like they used to be.

Can't speak for Gigabyte, never bought a component from them, but I've had excellent warranty experiences with both MSI and WD. They both were hassle free and had extremely fast turnarounds.

I got burned once a long time ago... now I take like 30 pictures of anything I RMA including a video of the boxing process. Ive been waiting for the day a company is like, "Lol, so, this is broken. You obviously broke it".

TBH, I believe that if you look hard enough, you could find a thread like this about any vendor.

but the thing is, the "ASUS thread" gets posted every single fucking month for the last 4 years. They just don't give a fuck. This is not the first time, and will certainly not be the last time.

Tune in next month for another episode of asus bullshit, right here on the [H]!

I was pretty wary when sending in my WD drive recently. The 18 pages of instructions and the do's and don'ts of shipping the device made me worried I would get back a drive still broke and a voided warranty.

Turns out I was worried for nothing. I shipped it in the 2" of bubble wrap they require and my new drive was shipped the same day. Very fast service. My only real issue was the new drive was pretty sloppy in there and bouncing around.

Any RMA scenario for me is usually worrying. Might be my nature. Companies aren't like they used to be.

Funny that they specifically want bubble wrap, when I had to rma a hitachi drive they gave me about 4 pages of instructions on how to pack it, they specifically said not to use any bubble wrap and if they recieved a package with bubble wrap it would be returned and the warranty voided.

Hey guys, it is getting even better.

I just received a survey email from ASUS.

And I still have not gotten a response from CL-Joline about the broken thermal armor.

lol, go for it :p

Just filled out the survey. After I hit submit, the response page came back with some random incorrect html code instead of a message.

So that is broken on their web page as well.

Just filled out the survey. After I hit submit, the response page came back with some random incorrect html code instead of a message.

Pretty much nothing in the Asus North America customer service department works as it should, so why should the user feedback system be any different? Asus already knows what you are going to say, and they are not interested in your whining. Didn't Raja explain that already in his earlier post in this thread?

This is not my sole job. There will always be flak at forums, that is the nature of what people coming to forums frequent them for (complaints, moaning, expletives are commonplace).

If you want a response, post on Asus' Facebook page and tell people about your experience. I have heard that will get you noticed in a hurry.

[shakes head]

That explains it! They just need to fix that feedback form and they'll finally see how bad their support is and reform their process!

So I sent a PM to RAJA and he replied right away. A little bit later he replied again and said somebody should be contacting me.

Cl-Joline called me while I was on my way home from work.

She was having trouble finding my RMA in the system so she had me give her the serial numbers for the board I originally sent in and for the one they sent me.

She also had me take some pictures and email them to her.

They are going to be giving me a shipping label and then once I have dropped it off they will be sending out another board. (cross-shipping)

Hopefully this second board arrives in good condition.

It doesnt improve.
They dont call unless the issue is forced and then cant locate your case.
You have to hope someone knows what they are doing somewhere, you might get someones lunch pizza box by accident.

Good luck!

It doesnt improve.
They dont call unless the issue is forced and then cant locate your case.
You have to hope someone knows what they are doing somewhere, you might get someones lunch pizza box by accident.

Good luck!

$10 says it gets screwed up again... Any takers?

This whole thing is full retard.

But not as bad as the Chrysler/Fiat thing I guess. Covering up or ignoring people's cars starting on fire.......:eek:

But still rises to a level of ineptitude that makes you wonder.:rolleyes:

I bought my son a new Maximus VII Hero for a back to school tune up, so far it's been flawless. I hope it stays that way. ( I feel sort of like a red-haired step-child......just cringing waiting for the abuse.....)

Shipped off the damaged board this morning and received tracking info for the replacement board right about 2:30p.m. my time.

Crossing fingers, toes, arms, and eyes that this board will be in good shape and working.

Not surprised to see a thread like this, really. My nephew had an X79 board he was trying to RMA with them. It was only about 2 years old at the time. Turns out, they forgot to put serial number stickers on some of their motherboards circa 2011. No SN sticker....good luck getting a warranty.

And I'm not surprised that they don't give a damn about this thread. PC gaming (read "gaming" in the marketing sense) has gotten so huge, they can afford to piss off a ton of us. They know their BRAND reigns supreme. Everyone knows RAMPAGE stands for top notch high end gear....and most of the time their hardware backs it up. But when it doesn't, you're fucked. And they'll still be the "best" in everyone's eyes.

I paid £150 to enter the Asus lottery and lost, my new motherboard didnt work and they refused warranty.
Not the best from any standpoint.

They lost a lot more than my business and they will never recover it.
They had a short chance to show they have changed but they have instead got worse, even now 5 years later.
Its impossible to give any recommendation.
I'm not putting my reputation on the line for them, nor investing my time trying to resolve RMA issues which drive you mad just when you need a good service the most.
They get a well deserved middle finger back for giving one to their customers.
Enjoy Asus :p

Yeah I also have been let down by Asus customer support. Even if they accept your RMA, I had to return 5 times before getting a working motherboard (ram slots wouldn't work or other issues), which at the time was their top of the line offering.

I much prefer MSi and have dealt with their customer service. They were helpful, and quick at resolving the issue. I also like Gigabyte, however have not yet needed to call them up, 5 boards I've had with Gigabyte and no issues.

So I have been trying to get a Sabertooth X79 board RMA'd for the past couple of weeks due to POST and power cutting issues.

The first person I chatted with said that the board was out of warranty.

When I asked why, they said it really only had a 36-month warranty.

I asked them why and they could not/would not give me an answer.

I pressed the matter and they said they would escalate it and somebody would get back with me.

That was on June 18th.

Fast forward to today and I decided I had given them enough time and started a chat with them today.

After explaining everything to them and then them asking for my info and then saying they were going to set up an RMA, they then came back and said the warranty was expired.

They said that the only way for me to get warranty repair is if the invoice specifically states the 5 year warranty.

They are supposed to escalate it again. They said I should hear back within 2 days, but from past experience I am not expecting them to do anything.

The board was purchased directly from Amazon a little over 3 years ago.

Nowhere did it say that it only had a 3 year warranty.

All places that reviewed it, sold it, and even ASUS' web site states that it has a 5 year warranty.

Has this happened to anybody else here?

RAJA, can you help out?
Hi Cyclone3d,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this issue you are facing as we have this issue has been brought to our attention. Let me apologize for the world of inconvenience that this may have caused as I have also confirmed by seeing that a 5 year warranty was promised to you, our customers. I would like for us to proceed in order to something done on this issue as quickly as possible, can you please email us at [email protected]​ with your case or serial number as well as a brief description of the issue with the motherboard. Again we sincerely apologize for the trouble that has been caused.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. Your case number is N150786585. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department
http://www.asus.com :: http://service.asus.com/​

Hmm. Looks like Asus has another one watching, albeit late, on this forum.

IMHO, they owe cyclone3d a bit more than just a board replacement. I suggest a full refund, AND a NEW board.

And a sincere apology.

Wait.

Customers never get actual apologies...

Hi Cyclone3d,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this issue you are facing as we have this issue has been brought to our attention. Let me apologize for the world of inconvenience that this may have caused as I have also confirmed by seeing that a 5 year warranty was promised to you, our customers. I would like for us to proceed in order to something done on this issue as quickly as possible, can you please email us at [email protected]​ with your case or serial number as well as a brief description of the issue with the motherboard. Again we sincerely apologize for the trouble that has been caused.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. Your case number is N150786585. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department
http://www.asus.com :: http://service.asus.com/​

Wow.. wonder how high up this went in order to get contacted by social support.

Well, I just sent them an initial email and will send another later this evening chronicling this whole mess, including chat session logs, emails, etc.

Maybe this whole thing will get something rolling over at ASUS that will help get their whole RMA dept mess fixed.

Oh, and the tracking number they sent me for the board they cross-shipped me is about 3 times too long to be a tracking number. I just love their email system.

kinda odd how that account doesnt have a nametag or something similar to all the other reps...

also kinda weird that they just put your case # out on the internet for everyone to see... I get you're trying to get people to see you're getting it fixed, but maybe send him a private message with those details instead next time.

Wow.. wonder how high up this went in order to get contacted by social support.

Well, I just sent them an initial email and will send another later this evening chronicling this whole mess, including chat session logs, emails, etc.

Maybe this whole thing will get something rolling over at ASUS that will help get their whole RMA dept mess fixed.

Oh, and the tracking number they sent me for the board they cross-shipped me is about 3 times too long to be a tracking number. I just love their email system.

Gee......
it only took these guys a month to see this?
What exactly is social support?
If it's like social security, you know exactly what to expect....:eek:

kinda odd how that account doesnt have a nametag or something similar to all the other reps...

also kinda weird that they just put your case # out on the internet for everyone to see... I get you're trying to get people to see you're getting it fixed, but maybe send him a private message with those details instead next time.

somebody smell a rat?
The grammar in that response made me laugh.:D

" Hi Cyclone.....we are owning all your motherboard........"

Why? It's the same exact generic response they give out on Twitter and other social media and all the links are legit.

Because they had no title.
After asking if they are genuine, [H] has gifted them a title.
It says in the post before yours.
Post 150 indicated the issue.

" Hi Cyclone.....we are owning all your motherboard........"

lo... I was thinking the same thing. Grammar was something else. Didnt seem legit but they have their own title now.. so we'll see.

It will take a long period of good behavior before I will be able to recommend ASUS product again.

Putting out the occasional brush fire doesn't cut it.

Because they had no title.
After asking if they are genuine, [H] has gifted them a title.
It says in the post before yours.
Post 150 indicated the issue.

Yeah.
I looked that up and they have a join date 7 months ago and only three posts.
Obviously too busy on Facebook or whatever.:eek:

I heard back from them pretty quickly. They said to wait for the cross-ship to arrive and to contact them again if I have problems.

I actually already sent them back a super long email detailing all of the problems I had with their website and with their horrible email system.

Once this is all over, I am going to go and edit the OP to put all the information there in chronological order.

Hoping something actually comes of this and they fix their crappy way of handling RMAs

Back