ASUS - our 5 year warranty is really only 3 years

Yeah, threads like this are how a company looses customers. If the company uses it as a learning experience, we can at least get a more competitive industry as a result.

Just received the 2nd replacement board.

The board itself looks and smells new.

But they did not ship it with the fan that is supposed to mount on the "thermal armor" over the I/O panel even though I was told multiple times that they were going to send that fan with it.

Already sent them an email asking if they can just send that fan separately.

I will probably be testing the replacement board sometime this evening.

Should you bench the board without that fan? I am not familiar with them.

The fan above the I/O panel is technically optional. It is just added cooling for the vrms for when you are overclocking.

The board I am currently using does't have any bigger of a heatsink and doesn't have a heatpipe setup like the ASUS one does.

And I have two bottom case fans that will be blowing on the vrm heatsink so I am not worried about it at all at stock speeds.

The board itself looks and smells new.

But they did not ship it with the fan that is supposed to mount on the "thermal armor" over the I/O panel even though I was told multiple times that they were going to send that fan with it.

I will probably be testing the replacement board sometime this evening.

Glad things look good so far.
BUT......
what the fuck do these people not get?
a month of a string of dumb-ass moves, one after the other.

I would have simply reached into the closet and pulled you out a brand new board, retail box, all parts included and called it a day.

Jesus.....:rolleyes: should be "In search of our ass, with both hands"......

wow OP, just read this whole thread and what a shit show. Atleast your getting helped now, I had a ASUS motherboard about 7 years ago. Board just stopped posting, sent it in and didn't get a replacement for 7 MONTHS. They did send me a brand new board but I had purchased a new (non asus) board after 2 weeks as Im not waiting that long. Ended up selling the replacement and washing my hands of asus forever after that

Hmm. Looks like Asus has another one watching, albeit late, on this forum.

IMHO, they owe cyclone3d a bit more than just a board replacement. I suggest a full refund, AND a NEW board.

And a sincere apology.

Wait.

Customers never get actual apologies...

They should owe him more than that. I would've given up a long time ago.

Total FAIL... ASUS how long is this going to take? Is this deliberate?

Wow.. wonder how high up this went in order to get contacted by social support.

Well, I just sent them an initial email and will send another later this evening chronicling this whole mess, including chat session logs, emails, etc.

Maybe this whole thing will get something rolling over at ASUS that will help get their whole RMA dept mess fixed.

This is Asus' version of damage control. Instead of investing in a customer service department that actually works, they hire people to respond to complaints on public forums and review sites. Make no mistake, Asus is not interested in fixing your $300 motherboard under warranty. They are only interested in trying to save face on a very public forum like [H] where an Asus complaint thread has gone viral (again). Public shaming is the only way to get Asus to react.

Personally,

I think asus has GREAT products but their tech support / customer is crop. I believe it is due to their company being Asian where the culture revolves around refunds / returns after a purchase are not allowed (aka southeast asia).

With that being said I use EVGA for just about everything now. I wanted their x99 board but the rampage extreme by Asus is better. I had to call Asus for a replacement on day 45 (outside amazon return window), due to the locking mechanism for the GPU/PCI-E broke off when I took out my TitanX.

I just said screw it and am dealing with it I should not have to pay shipping after spending $550 for a mobo, and also have to send my motherboard first.

With evga they have cross shipments, and a really no hassle no frills warranty system. Sorry to vent but every experience I have had with ASUS has been a disaster.

ASUS = great product, If it fails it's your fault deal with it

I buy stuff from store. Stuff goes bad. Stuff gets returned. I get new stuff.

I buy stuff from store. Stuff goes bad. Stuff gets returned. I get new stuff.

Thats really neat if you have actual component stores,where you live.

The closest real "store" to me is 5 hours away.

Also store no takee back 2+years later as is the case here.

The most disappointing thing I see here is the lying. Convincing a company that the board broke within warranty is one thing but to be lied to about what you would be receiving this many times is just sickening.

About 8 years ago I did a ton of system building and had to stop using ASUS for a while because I went through a 50% failure rate in the first 3 months. These were all Nvidia chipset motherboards if I remember correctly. Those Nvidia chipsets were horrible before being discontinued. This comes from a Nvidia graphics card fan so no bias against Nvidia coming from me obviously. 3 out of 6 motherboards is terrible quality control. I had an ESD safe work area so it didn't come from my handling.

So.... I finally swapped this second replacement board into my system tonight.

Guess what... yep. DOA :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have tried absolutely everything.

Single video card in different slots.

Single stick of RAM in the slot that ASUS says to use a single stick.

Two different known good power supplies.

Seasonic 1000w and BFG 1200w

MemOK button.. led just keeps flashing.

Board also has power up issues.

Sometimes it will not detect power at all. Other times it will power up all by itself as soon as I turn the PSU power button on.

Oh.. and I have nothing installed but the CPU, cooler and mandatory primary CPU fan, RAM, and video card.

Absolutely nothing else is hooked up at all.

At this point I am expecting a brand new retail boxed motherboard overnighted to me.

almost as if all they do at the RMA center is change the address and ship them to different people, gee, imagine that

Well, I have sent the info to all 3 contacts I have been dealing with.

RAJA, socialsupport, and the RMA escalations dept.

The person that called me over in the escalations dept from the CL-joline email address told me that her last day was this last Friday when I talked to her on Friday.

The social support person still hasn't replied to the reply I sent them last week.

Last edited:
I'm actually wondering if this board was new old stock and they tested it with a SB-E processor and didn't bother updating the BIOS to support IB-E processors.

And even if that is the case, I can't use the BIOS flashback feature because it will not update to the CAP type BIOS which is what it was converted to even before IB-E support was added.

The CAP converter requires two boots to finish converting from what I can find.. and it will not work if the board won't POST in the first place.

This is becoming like an overdone joke from Family Guy.

Seriously, Seth McFarlane likes to leverage humour that repeats itself until its not funny, and keeps repeating itself until through the ashes of staleness, it becomes funny again because its just ridiculous how long its been going.

This repair has passed the Family Guy threshold. Its funny now because its gone on for so damn long and been screwed up so many times it just damn humorous, then it got annoying, now its funny again.

I just thought of a joke!

"Murphy's law: If it can be done wrong, Asus will do it wrong."

After looking though the manual to find the info about the diagnostic LEDs, I am almost certain that they sent out a board with a pre-IB-E supporting BIOS.

When I just power it on, the CPU led stays on.

I know the CPU is good because it was running in my other board right before I swapped in to the 2nd replacement board.

for what it's worth, I have a year-old open RMA with asus that they have not yet solved. they sent multiple broken parts and it takes them a month or more to reply to emails. it's like they're sending letters by boat

Sad.
I stopped buying Asus nearly 5 years ago because they dont honour warranties.
Your case demonstrates that they havent changed.
Good luck.

Same, I understand they make the best products most of the time but Ive been burned by made RMA rejection 4 times now. I quit buying ASUS period last year or so.

Same, I understand they make the best products most of the time but Ive been burned by made RMA rejection 4 times now. I quit buying ASUS period last year or so.

They really don't make the best products. Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc will all do the job for less money. Motherboards and power supplies are two areas people continue to blow money on. You'll see people building these rigs with ridiculously expensive motherboards and power supplies, yet have a modest processor and a weak video card to compliment them.

RAJA replied to my PM pretty quickly. Said he forwarded the information over to the CLM team manager.

They really don't make the best products. Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc will all do the job for less money. Motherboards and power supplies are two areas people continue to blow money on. You'll see people building these rigs with ridiculously expensive motherboards and power supplies, yet have a modest processor and a weak video card to compliment them.

I agree with everything you said except about the power supplies. Paying for a quality power supply is a good investment. Cheaping out a power supply is never a great idea.

Agree with PSUs, never cheap out.
I bought an AX750 so I know that no matter how hard I overclock, the components will not suffer from PSU stability issues or suffer failure from the same.
And it has a 7 year warranty!
It has seen me through a 290x and that sucked some juice with a water cooled 2500K.
Now with a high power overclocked 980ti, still rocking and is over 4 years old.

The hilarity continues.

I get home for lunch today and I find a package from ASUS... yep, they actually sent out the fan for the thermal armor. Now I have a DOA board and the fan they were supposed to send with the board.

Ok, so I decided to loop of converting to the CAP type BIOS without the CPU and found a reference to the Asus P9x79 board and how to tell what BIOS it shipped with. It is the last 4 digits on the thin sticker on the top of the board.

The board they sent me has the 1104 BIOS. The first BIOS that supports the 4930k is 4210.

So yeah, ASUS apparently didn't bother updating the BIOS.

Supposedly the CAP converter is supposed to work even if you can't boot via the bios flashback feature. Guess I am going to try it even though it did not work with my original board.

EDIT:
Nope, can't convert to CAP style BIOS unless the board will POST.

Loaded the renamed CAP converter utility onto a USB drive and used the BIOS flashback to load it up. That part went fine.

Then I removed that file from the USB stick and copied the renamed CAP file to the USB stick and tried to load it with BIOS flashback. It will not see the .CAP file because it isn't fully converted yet.

So I am back at square one with this board.

I did hear back from the social support people. They gave me a number to call for components support.

Yay....

Last edited:
If you don't get this resolved, I'd consider doing the following:

- Post about it on the consumer sites.
- File a complaint with BBB: http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-fran...s-computer-international-in-fremont-ca-16870# (although they likely don't care, considering how many they have)
- Send a complaint to the California Attorney General (AsusTek is located in Fremont, CA). If they get enough, they'll open an investigation.

Depending how far you want to take it, you could sue them in small claims (they likely won't show), then when they don't pay, you go through the process of putting a lien on their assets for the LULZ. Sure, it's a huge waste of time and probably not worth the effort, but you could have fun with it.

- File a complaint with BBB: http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-fran...s-computer-international-in-fremont-ca-16870# (although they likely don't care, considering how many they have)

holy shit, this is from the BBB site:

! There is an alert for this business !

We have identified a pattern of complaints concerning service issues. Complaints processed by BBB claim that 1) products sent to the company for repairs are still not working properly when returned to the consumer.

On June 29, 2012 ASUS responded to the issue by stating: We continuously enhance our repair service levels across the board, but in specific response to the repair quality concerns addressed in this letter we have strengthened core processes which may have been at the root of the matter and ASUS valued customers, with non-component systems products will benefit from the enhanced RMA process and instructions.

BBB again reviewed this company's file for complaints. As of April 13, 2015 the issue of products sent to the company for repairs still not working properly when returned to the consumer still remains.

1551 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 460 closed in last 12 months

Ok, so I decided to loop of converting to the CAP type BIOS without the CPU and found a reference to the Asus P9x79 board and how to tell what BIOS it shipped with. It is the last 4 digits on the thin sticker on the top of the board.

The board they sent me has the 1104 BIOS. The first BIOS that supports the 4930k is 4210.

So yeah, ASUS apparently didn't bother updating the BIOS.

Supposedly the CAP converter is supposed to work even if you can't boot via the bios flashback feature. Guess I am going to try it even though it did not work with my original board.

EDIT:
Nope, can't convert to CAP style BIOS unless the board will POST.

Loaded the renamed CAP converter utility onto a USB drive and used the BIOS flashback to load it up. That part went fine.

Then I removed that file from the USB stick and copied the renamed CAP file to the USB stick and tried to load it with BIOS flashback. It will not see the .CAP file because it isn't fully converted yet.

So I am back at square one with this board.

I did hear back from the social support people. They gave me a number to call for components support.

Yay....

One solution that will set you back about $15 is to buy a BIOS chip from ebay. You can specify which version BIOS you want flashed to the chip. This is the route I took when I bought an Asus P9X79 Pro that came with a BIOS that did not support the 4930K. The BIOS flashback feature is pretty much useless, in my experience. It is supposed to work without a CPU in the socket, but it did not work for me. The board worked fine with the new ebay BIOS chip.

Of course, this assumes the board has no other issues. If it does, you are out another $15, but at least you don't have to deal with Asus' broken customer service system.

I am sorry to hear about all the issues you have had. I had a similar experience with Asus about 3 years ago that cost me many hours of my personal time, not to mention the aggravation, and I finally gave up and threw away the board. It sucks to have to throw away a $300 part that is still under warranty, but at some point you have to quit and move on.

Maybe someone here could lend you an older chip just to get it updated? If I had a spare compatible CPU I would send it to you as long as I got it back.

So here is another update.

I called the component support number that social support provided me.

That number is: 812-282-2787

The person I talked to there said that it should flash to the CAP BIOS after flashing to the CAP converter ROM via the BIOS flashback.

After we tried abut 5-6 different combinations of doing this and some other stuff, their official stance is that the board is faulty since this is not working.

I was on the phone about 1.5 hours doing troubleshooting with this person.

I then told them I was not interested in sending this board in for repair, said I either wanted a new retail packaged board with an updated BIOS or an upgrade, and let them know about this whole RMA experience.

He then made notes about the call and is forwarding the request up to his manager who will then forward it to another person/dept in order to get it approved.

He also gave me a new case number. He said to give it 48 hours for me to hear back from them.

I am not going to spend another $15 on another BIOS chip. I am going to keep this going with ASUS until they get me a fully working product.

holy shit, this is from the BBB site:

1551 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 460 closed in last 12 months

Holy Tits. To imagine that probably only 1 in 100 actually take the time/know how to register a complaint! That's JUST in the US!

Asus has some explaining to do.

So I heard back from RAJA.

He said they have a new X79 Deluxe that they can replace this board with.

This is fucked up.
10 pages. One month.
Three motherboards.
4 separate divisions at Asus.
WHY.....oh why....cant they just send you something new that works.

For crying out loud.

I'll send you 25 dollars. If 9 other people do the same, you can buy a new board.
I really feel bad for you. You been screwed and abused more than a cheap hooker.

This is fucked up.
10 pages. One month.
Three motherboards.
4 separate divisions at Asus.
WHY.....oh why....cant they just send you something new that works.

For crying out loud.

I'll send you 25 dollars. If 9 other people do the same, you can buy a new board.
I really feel bad for you. You been screwed and abused more than a cheap hooker.

Actually.. It is getting closer to 2 months now as I was trying to get an RMA for two weeks before I even started the thread here.

Back