ASUS - our 5 year warranty is really only 3 years

So I heard back from RAJA.

He said they have a new X79 Deluxe that they can replace this board with.

I'd say that's a diagonal/sidegrade to what you have: Its a good board, but the Sabertooth is a good board as well! tough decision to make, as both boards are really meant for different demographics.

I loved the gold theme Asus used briefly for ther Z8X and X79 boards, don't know why they ditched it...

Actually.. It is getting closer to 2 months now as I was trying to get an RMA for two weeks before I even started the thread here.

fuck that. I won't have my PC downtime be more than 5 days. 2 months??

fuck that. I won't have my PC downtime be more than 5 days. 2 months??

I have another motherboard I have been using in the meantime.. an ASROCK x79 Extreme 6.

The USB 3.0 ports have always been really flakey on it but that is because of the controller that was used on most of the early x79 boards.

The ASUS board had actually been mostly been saved as a backup board since the first RMA replacement about 2.5 years ago.

I'd say that's a diagonal/sidegrade to what you have: Its a good board, but the Sabertooth is a good board as well! tough decision to make, as both boards are really meant for different demographics.

I loved the gold theme Asus used briefly for ther Z8X and X79 boards, don't know why they ditched it...

Well.. it does have more SATA ports which is a plus for me. Also according to the CPU support list, it looks like I won't have to deal with them sending me a board with a BIOS that doesn't support the 4930k as it was supported from the beginning.

From reviews on newegg it looks like either you get a good board or a board that is DOA, has a bunch of issues, or dies shortly after installing it.

Waiting to hear back from RAJA about it actually being a retail boxed board with accessories and how the warranty will work if I swap to the x79-Deluxe.

If they will not at least give me warranty for the rest of the 5 year warranty that the Sabertooth had, I am going to push for another board that has the 5 year warranty... guess that would be a Rampage.

Sabertooth boards much like the ROG boards are ,to me, in a different class than the number/letter boards.

You get better stuff. Better components
Honestly Id tell ASUS to pound sand
The warranties generally say equivalent or better, not lesser quality.

They need to make it right and the X79 Deluxe is not the same. You are right, they also need to honor the warranty period. That and you get new retail box.
This is so fucking lame.
Now they come offering "well we found this lying around"......instead of offering you better because they have fucked this up a hundred ways from Sunday.

Sabertooth boards much like the ROG boards are ,to me, in a different class than the number/letter boards.

You get better stuff. Better components
Honestly Id tell ASUS to pound sand
The warranties generally say equivalent or better, not lesser quality.

They need to make it right and the X79 Deluxe is not the same. You are right, they also need to honor the warranty period. That and you get new retail box.
This is so fucking lame.
Now they come offering "well we found this lying around"......instead of offering you better because they have fucked this up a hundred ways from Sunday.

Well... waiting to hear back before I make a final decision.

Here is the wording on their webpage about warranties that applies to replacements

If the product fails during normal and proper use within the warranty period, ASUS will, at its discretion, repair or replace the defective parts within the product, or the product itself, with items that are functionally equivalent to that as originally supplied, or better, during the warranty period defined for the model, using new or refurbished parts or units. If the product is under warranty, the ownership of the replaced defective parts will automatically be transferred to ASUS. All components repaired or replaced by ASUS will be under warranty for the remaining period of your warranty.

But if I do accept that board or any other board from them, then I am going to require some type of receipt that specifically states the warranty period as if I have a problem with the board in the future, the RMA dept will just laugh at me if I try to do an RMA using the original Sabertooth X79 receipt.

HAHAHA OH WOW

Sorry OP for your troubles, that is beyond ridiculous. I RMA'ed 2 motherboards and 1 GPU with Gigabyte and they all got back to me within a month with a repaired or brand new product. Same with Antec which replaced my Signature 850W psu two years ago. No RMA hassle whatsoever, just either provide product S/N and or proof of purchase.

Never owned an Asus motherboard but hearing stuff like this every other month on forums doesn't ever make me want to buy one. The fact that Asus motherboards tend to be the priciest ones of the bunch yet Asus offers essentially zero RMA customer support is a huge problem.

Gigabyte for life.

If the product fails during normal and proper use within the warranty period, ASUS will, at its discretion, repair or replace the defective parts within the product

lol, I really like this part. Essentially if Asus feels like helping you they will RMA your motherboard.

Is it possible for us to get Kyle to say something about this mess? This is ridiculous, and has truly shaken my faith in Asus products. It's all I've ever used for both my home and business builds. I will have to switch next time around.

lol, I really like this part. Essentially if Asus feels like helping you they will RMA your motherboard.

That wording is pretty similar for most mfgs and OEMs.

It means that they will either fix it or replace it.

Logitech which has one of the best customer service departments - worded a bit more clearly

Logitech’s entire liability and your exclusive remedy for any breach of warranty shall be, at Logitech’s option, (1) to repair or replace the hardware, or (2) to refund the price paid, provided that the hardware is returned to the point of purchase or such other place as Logitech may direct with a copy of the sales receipt or dated itemized receipt.

I looked on the Gigabyte, MSI, and ASRock web pages but it looks like they don't have anything like this written out in the warranty information I could find on those pages.

ASRock's kind of sounds like they just do replacements.

MSI and Gigabyte give basically no specific information, just a very short description.

holy shit, this is from the BBB site: ! There is an alert for this business !
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-fran...us-computer-international-in-fremont-ca-16870

lol that is hilarious and also very sad. you'd think they would be embarrassed by that, but I guess asus employees have no shame.

"products sent to the company for repairs are still not working properly when returned to the consumer" is the EXACT problem I reported to BBB, before I ever reported it. and BBB says it has been happening for years. since at least 2012, asus has been sending broken parts to customers who had broken parts. that is just ________

So they are going to be sending me a new retail packaged X79-DELUXE.

This is the newer version, not the P9X79-DELUXE.

They said the warranty from the Sabertooth will carry over to this board.

Just waiting to hear back about shipping details, etc.

Hope this works out. The lesson here is that the only way to make Asus honor their warranties is to shame them in public to an extent they cannot ignore.

That's good news. :D
Looks like a nice board.

Hopefully you don't open the package and find a brick or something.

This simply has to go right, finally.

I agree the only way you get this company to do the right thing is to hammer away at them on a reputable site like this one.

Good news. I hope it works. Again, too bad it took so long for ASUS to step up. I'm at the point in my life where I gladly pay a few extra bucks to keep the "good actors" in business. Warranty and customer appreciation is a big part of my purchase decisions.

Let us know how it goes.

But you arent paying a few extra bucks with the Asus competitors... generally you are paying MORE for asus.. even with the shitty warranty service.

I honestly was considering getting an ASUS Strix 980ti...but after reading this thread and googling a few more horror stories...hell no.
I had no issues with tablet RMA with them, but this whole ordeal is just out of this world.

Good luck op, hope everything works out.

Well, the new board is on it's way and is supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime.

I honestly was considering getting an ASUS Strix 980ti...but after reading this thread and googling a few more horror stories...hell no.
I had no issues with tablet RMA with them, but this whole ordeal is just out of this world.

Good luck op, hope everything works out.

From what I've seen, although there are exceptions, people have the biggest issue with RMAing items that are a year or more old, when they have already been replaced by a new model.

At this point they start trying to repair your board and send out repaired boards because they dont have current stock of that item new. With a new item, like a 980ti, you're more than likely going to have no issue getting a replacement if the card shows up DOA.

Either way, as I have stated multiple time in the thread, I think they really shit the bed here and my examples in this post are definitely not intended to be excuses for them.

almost as if all they do at the RMA center is change the address and ship them to different people, gee, imagine that

This did happen to me with another company when I RMAed a board.

I returned it for bulging caps during the capacitor plague. They sent the board back to me saying it tested fine. I put sharpie marker scribbles on all the bulging caps and left a note (also in sharpie) explaining the problem.

They sent me a different board. It also had bulging caps. But also a missing northbridge fan.

Tried to register the serial on their site and got an error saying it was already registered to someone else.

They're no longer in business.

I returned it for bulging caps during the capacitor plague. They sent the board back to me saying it tested fine. I put sharpie marker scribbles on all the bulging caps and left a note (also in sharpie) explaining the problem.

They sent me a different board. It also had bulging caps. But also a missing northbridge fan.

Tried to register the serial on their site and got an error saying it was already registered to someone else.

Sounds like it was Abit...

This. Take them to small claims court and get a replacement.

Over a $100 motherboard? Not worth my time and it won't change ASUS's stance. You'd need a class action lawsuit if you wanted to make ASUS change their policy

So... got the new retail boxed X79-Deluxe installed.

Everything that I have tested so far seems to be working except for the CPU_OPT fan header.

It just doesn't work.

I have tried both 3-pin and 4-pin fans as well as turning off fan control in BIOS.

I have already sent a PM to RAJA about it to make sure I am not missing anything.

Lol, new month, new asus thread.

Maybe someone should write their HQ in Taiwan on American expectations for customer service for premium products.

One place I worked at, had a underperforming US division, US top management did their best to hide everything. It took the company board 6 years to notice and finally start holding people accountable.

lg does have a 10 year drive warranty. I know for a fact it wasnt drive related. Everything else i 1 year warranty.

I think it would have been less painful to void the warranty and recap it yourself with known good caps.

I had to deal with thousands of Dell motherboard replacements during the height of the cap plague (mostly GX260-280s) and they were replacing blown fake caps with more of the same fake caps, which obviously caused the *fixed* motherboards to fail again within usually 6-8 months because they blew again.

So... got the new retail boxed X79-Deluxe installed.

Everything that I have tested so far seems to be working except for the CPU_OPT fan header.

It just doesn't work.

I have tried both 3-pin and 4-pin fans as well as turning off fan control in BIOS.

I have already sent a PM to RAJA about it to make sure I am not missing anything.

Get a magnifying glass and carefully inspect around the header for damaged parts. Non-working fan headers are usually caused by some SMD component nearby being broken or missing.

I think it would have been less painful to void the warranty and recap it yourself with known good caps.

I had to deal with thousands of Dell motherboard replacements during the height of the cap plague (mostly GX260-280s) and they were replacing blown fake caps with more of the same fake caps, which obviously caused the *fixed* motherboards to fail again within usually 6-8 months because they blew again.

Get a magnifying glass and carefully inspect around the header for damaged parts. Non-working fan headers are usually caused by some SMD component nearby being broken or missing.

Oh yeah, I was doing onsite Dell warranty repair during the period when they were replacing all the SX and GX 260-280 computers. That whole thing was a huge mess. That was at least 80% of our service calls for quite a while.

I will have to take a look, but it is a brand new retail boxed motherboard. I didn't see anything obvious when I took it out of the bag. I did do a google search and it seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with this particular model.

I found out what the problem is. The pin on the CPU_OPT header that is closest to the screw hole has a bad solder connection.

It is supposed to have a connection to the ground plane as is the same pin on the CPU fan header but it has infinite resistance.

I was doing a google search and came across a number of posts about the same problem on this model. One of which showed a picture of the solder on that pin not looking right.. same as the board I have.

Edit: Having worked in a plant that built a bunch of different auto electronics I am thinking that the machine that put the solder flux on didn't get any in that corner. Probably a miscalibration or a dirty nozzle.

Last edited:
I found out what the problem is. The pin on the CPU_OPT header that is closest to the screw hole has a bad solder connection.

It is supposed to have a connection to the ground plane as is the same pin on the CPU fan header but it has infinite resistance.

I was doing a google search and came across a number of posts about the same problem on this model. One of which showed a picture of the solder on that pin not looking right.. same as the board I have.

It's kind of impressive that ASUS is capable of fucking up this badly this many times. From the sidelines it's a comedy of errors but I'm impressed that you seem to have kept your cool during all of this. I would have been bitching out someone at ASUS by now.

It's kind of impressive that ASUS is capable of fucking up this badly this many times. From the sidelines it's a comedy of errors but I'm impressed that you seem to have kept your cool during all of this. I would have been bitching out someone at ASUS by now.

Well... it isn't like I haven't felt like doing so multiple times.

In any case, I sent another PM to RAJA about my findings. I can just resolder that one connection and be done with it if I get the go ahead to do so. Not like they would even be able to tell I soldered it if I had to eventually send it in for something else.

Anyone know where I can buy more popcorn, the stores are running low?
This thread is quite popular.

Well... it isn't like I haven't felt like doing so multiple times.

In any case, I sent another PM to RAJA about my findings. I can just resolder that one connection and be done with it if I get the go ahead to do so. Not like they would even be able to tell I soldered it if I had to eventually send it in for something else.

Change your name to Jobe.

You surely are being tested by God.

How much shit can happen to one person?
Its like Asus is TRYING to fuck you.

Change your name to Jobe.

You surely are being tested by God.

How much shit can happen to one person?
Its like Asus is TRYING to fuck you.

His name id spelled Job.

Anyway, I got the go ahead to resolder the pin which I am going to do once I get home from work.

You know, overall, I think this is a pretty spectacular series of events. Most people have a bad board return once, or a separate issue... but to have this many boards come back with issues is crazy. I bet the asus rep is thinking "Jesus Christ, what is this guy doing to his boards"... lol

Back