ASUS - our 5 year warranty is really only 3 years

I just went through all 14 pages in one sitting, does ASUS not realize that all the employee labor, return shipping, and public shame not far outweigh the cost of just sending a fresh new mobo and not having a pissed off end user? The only realistic conclusion I could draw from this is that ASUS is purely incompetent and should be avoided.

cyclone3d's experience should stand as fair warning to all who consider purchasing their products.

I took delivery of a board today for a friends build, IT WAS NOT AN ASUS

I'll continue to buy asus. Their warranty support may suck but i find their boards are better quality and less quirky than other companies.

I had an issue with an asrock mobo yesterday. I downgraded the bios (because it wasn't saving settings and clearing cmos didn't work, nor did upgrading to the same most current version) but I couldn't boot past an intel me firmware screen.

I sent a support request asking for a link to the bios image to flash, as the only bios they list on their site is the windows flashing exe. I know they used to have the images to flash from the bios. Well I got an email asking for the invoice to set up an rma... Not what I asked at all nor want to do as its out of warranty. Luckily I was able to guess the naming scheme of the file I was looking for based on the current new mobos they list. I got the file I wanted and flashed it to get it booting to windows again. So its not always greener on the other side.

I'll continue to buy asus. Their warranty support may suck but i find their boards are better quality and less quirky than other companies.

I had an issue with an asrock mobo yesterday. I downgraded the bios (because it wasn't saving settings and clearing cmos didn't work, nor did upgrading to the same most current version) but I couldn't boot past an intel me firmware screen.

I sent a support request asking for a link to the bios image to flash, as the only bios they list on their site is the windows flashing exe. I know they used to have the images to flash from the bios. Well I got an email asking for the invoice to set up an rma... Not what I asked at all nor want to do as its out of warranty. Luckily I was able to guess the naming scheme of the file I was looking for based on the current new mobos they list. I got the file I wanted and flashed it to get it booting to windows again. So its not always greener on the other side.

So wait, Asrock was willing to replace the mainboard under RMA and you are bad-mouthing them?

If that was Asus, they would have provided the wrong BIOS, then said your no longer under warranty.

Edit: Realised that the board was already out of warranty.

so wait, the board lived the entire length of its warranty? Was it a bargain bin board with 1 year, or Asrock's standard 3 year? Not to mention, your problem was solved in one day, with like, 2 steps. how is that not greener than two months and numerous vendor screw-ups?

Last edited:
So wait, Asrock was willing to replace the mainboard under RMA and you are bad-mouthing them?

If that was Asus, they would have provided the wrong BIOS, then said your no longer under warranty.

Edit: Realised that the board was already out of warranty.

so wait, the board lived the entire length of its warranty? Was it a bargain bin board with 1 year, or Asrock's standard 3 year? Not to mention, your problem was solved in one day, with like, 2 steps. how is that not greener than two months and numerous vendor screw-ups?

My problem was not solved by them at all, they wanted an invoice to see if it was under warranty to rma it... (its not under warranty, nor would I send it in even if it was as I just want the file to flash which I can do myself, and this doesn't even mean they are willing). That means they didn't even read my question as I specifically asked for the bios image to flash.

I chose not to pursue further down their support path, you may think it's greener but I chose to end talking to them as I was able to GUESS where the file was on their file server. They literally provided 0 help and I had to guess where the file was that I wanted. I didn't care to test them out to see if they would give me the file as I already found what I needed and they didn't care to read the first email so I doubt they will care to read the second.

If you want you can take a look:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H67M-GEHT/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

That's the download page, you'll notice only a windows flasher. This is the file I wanted:

http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/BIOS/1155/H67M-GEHT(2.10)ROM.zip

Giving me anything other than that is just crappy support, I was able to guess they change WIN to ROM from going through their other motherboards and seeing what they label the roms. Things may have turned out just as badly with lots of runaround from their support or maybe no, but I'd rather not find out.

Last edited:
Thats definitely an example of poor service and support, you basically had to dig around and 'hack' (a very loose use of that term) to find the right driver. I'm not condoning Asrock's level of support here..

but..

The OP waited months after numerous failures and runarounds, and ended up soldering the replacement board himself to fix it in the end.

I'm going to lay my opinion on the table, and say that your experience was the damn greenest pasture in the world compared to that nightmare.

I get what you're saying. But that's the reason we have these forums, no? If OP didn't have this outlet, how much do you want to bet it would have been harder for him to resolve?

I guess we're all collectively hoping that Asus is reading this and quits with the BS they're subjecting people to with RMAs.

That's entirely what I was saying above.
If there wasn't HardForum and this customer base making a statement when something goes bat-shit wrong, this type of thing would go unchecked.
I too understand the "gee you got free stuff", but it really is a little late; especially when at the jump ASUS wasn't even going to honor the warranty.

Just heard back from Raja.

He said that the video card is a gift from management.

So there you have it.. you can stop arguing about it being an accident or not.

It's nice that you got a little notice for the trouble you had.
You really have had a great attitude through all of this and I think you've been very gracious in your attitude toward ASUS.:D
If I was ASUS management, I either would have sent the gift by courier or sent you a really nice soldering station.

I would have blown several blood vessels by now, free GPU or not.

This is an epic thread, it should be placed in the hall of fame or stickied or something.

Now hopefully you don't have to go through hell again if you need to RMA that GPU they gave you.

So far my Gene has been fine so I'm hoping I never have to RMA it. When I RMA'd my Rampage IV last year or so they sent it back with a bent CPU pin which affected my memory (8 of 16 showing). I fixed it and told them about the issue and they wanted to RMA that and paid for shipping. Sadly the lady added the data wrong and the board arrived via FedEx Ground instead of 2-day like they mentioned. Least it worked though.

Back