ASUS - our 5 year warranty is really only 3 years

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
So I have been trying to get a Sabertooth X79 board RMA'd for the past couple of weeks due to POST and power cutting issues.

The first person I chatted with said that the board was out of warranty.

When I asked why, they said it really only had a 36-month warranty.

I asked them why and they could not/would not give me an answer.

I pressed the matter and they said they would escalate it and somebody would get back with me.

That was on June 18th.

Fast forward to today and I decided I had given them enough time and started a chat with them today.

After explaining everything to them and then them asking for my info and then saying they were going to set up an RMA, they then came back and said the warranty was expired.

They said that the only way for me to get warranty repair is if the invoice specifically states the 5 year warranty.

They are supposed to escalate it again. They said I should hear back within 2 days, but from past experience I am not expecting them to do anything.

The board was purchased directly from Amazon a little over 3 years ago.

Nowhere did it say that it only had a 3 year warranty.

All places that reviewed it, sold it, and even ASUS' web site states that it has a 5 year warranty.

Has this happened to anybody else here?

RAJA, can you help out?

EDIT 8/18/2015: I will update this post later with a summary of events with dates, etc., but I just wanted to do a quick update for now.

After the second non-working replacement board, they ended up sending me a new X79-DELUXE motherboard. The CPU_OPT fan header on it was doa but I found out that the only thing wrong with it was a bad solder connection on the ground pin. After getting the ok to resolder it myself, everything on the board is working fine.

I figured everything was done with this support case, but while I was home for lunch today FedEx delivered a package from ASUS.

I thought maybe they had sent me another board by accident since I had been in communication with a number of different departments at ASUS.

That was not the case however. I opened up the box and inside was a brand new STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING video card. Was not expecting this at all as I have not heard anything from them except for a few questions from RAJA since I fixed the CPU_OPT header on the new board.

So ASUS, in my opinion has, made up for me having to go through this whole ordeal to get a good, working motherboard.

Last edited:
Sad.
I stopped buying Asus nearly 5 years ago because they dont honour warranties.
Your case demonstrates that they havent changed.
Good luck.

Tell that rep to go to the website,
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/
says 5 years on the bottom of the page
asus-sabertooth-5-year-warranty.jpg

meh

even if it was under warranty they are just going to send it back to you still broken

ASUS warranty is no warranty, it is a sad state of affairs, I used to be a big fan

Too many horror stories with Asus's RMA services. They make good products but that's where it ends, basically they have no warranty lol. You might be able to get them to honor their commitment if you have time but it usually doesn't worth it. I'll steer clear from Asus from now on for sure.

This. Take them to small claims court and get a replacement.

Thing is that would just be a huge waste of my time unless I would be able to get compensation for court costs and time lost from work, etc.

I would rather just have ASUS resolve this without having to go to any extreme measures.

However, if I do not hear back from them in the stated time frame and if RAJA (the ASUS rep here) does not step in to fix it, then I am planning on sending the story to The Consumerist.

Since this board was RMA'd a few months after it was purchased due to it dying and they sent us a different board I am wondering if something in their system got messed up.

Still, stonewalling me about it is not good for business and this type of customer disservice needs to stop.

Thing is that would just be a huge waste of my time unless I would be able to get compensation for court costs and time lost from work, etc.

I would rather just have ASUS resolve this without having to go to any extreme measures.

However, if I do not hear back from them in the stated time frame and if RAJA (the ASUS rep here) does not step in to fix it, then I am planning on sending the story to The Consumerist.

Since this board was RMA'd a few months after it was purchased due to it dying and they sent us a different board I am wondering if something in their system got messed up.

Still, stonewalling me about it is not good for business and this type of customer disservice needs to stop.

I have had an experience like that with WD. I sent in a hard drive for warranty replacement a few months after I bought it because it had developed a number of bad sectors and the system would occasionally decide not to recognize the drive at all. They processed the RMA online without having to chat with someone, I shipped it in, then received the replacement in short order. The replacement was labeled refurbished and had only a 90 warranty, despite the fact that the original drive was a higher-end model with their old 5-year warranty.

I can fully understand not giving me another 5 years from the date of replacement, but I'm pretty sure companies used to consider the warranty period for a replacement as the remaining time of the original warranty. Hell, even ASUS did as much on my old S939 motherboard where the chipset kept melting down. Things have not changed for the better in recent years.

Don't even both suing them, as you are correct, it is more time/headache than anything else with little to no chance of payoff. I had a similar experience with an LG washing machine, where a plaque on the front of the unit stated 10 year drive warranty, and when it died after 13 months, they said it was out of warranty. They said it only came with a 1 year drive warranty and even told me I was lying about the 10 year. I took a pic, emailed and mailed it to them, and they said I photo shopped it. I bought the unit from best buy. /sigh I tried to sue them in small claims, but when they didn't show up, the judge defaulted the judgment to me, but I have still not collected any money from them. I eventually repaired the unit myself, but I paid several fees to the court with no actual joy in the end. Does it sour me from LG? Of course it does, but honestly, it could happen with any company. Someone somewhere has had an issue with just about any company...

Don't even both suing them, as you are correct, it is more time/headache than anything else with little to no chance of payoff. I had a similar experience with an LG washing machine, where a plaque on the front of the unit stated 10 year drive warranty, and when it died after 13 months, they said it was out of warranty. They said it only came with a 1 year drive warranty and even told me I was lying about the 10 year. I took a pic, emailed and mailed it to them, and they said I photo shopped it. I bought the unit from best buy. /sigh I tried to sue them in small claims, but when they didn't show up, the judge defaulted the judgment to me, but I have still not collected any money from them. I eventually repaired the unit myself, but I paid several fees to the court with no actual joy in the end. Does it sour me from LG? Of course it does, but honestly, it could happen with any company. Someone somewhere has had an issue with just about any company...

Very true, but over the last few years certain companies have really managed to attract a lot of negative publicity by repeatedly behaving like this. ASUS has definitely been one of them. I know squeaky wheels make more noise (and are supposed to get the grease ;) ), however these horror stories involving some companies pop up too frequently for it to all be a minority of loud voices.

...I tried to sue them in small claims, but when they didn't show up, the judge defaulted the judgment to me, but I have still not collected any money from them.
Thats where Bailiffs come in.
They have to pay the full court costs and the Bailiffs costs as well, and you will get your money as long as they can be located.

You hire a lawyer and let them handle the legal side of things. You can get paid, you just need to keep at it. And they're required to pay your legal feels/etc.

I wouldn't take an asus product for free, well I would but just to turn it over and sell it.

SCUMBAG COMPANY

Yep I used to be an Asus fan too. But the last few years you more and more stories like this.

Go with an MSI motherboard next time, they have quality products and outstanding service.

So I have been trying to get a Sabertooth X79 board RMA'd for the past couple of weeks due to POST and power cutting issues.

The first person I chatted with said that the board was out of warranty.

When I asked why, they said it really only had a 36-month warranty.

I asked them why and they could not/would not give me an answer.

I pressed the matter and they said they would escalate it and somebody would get back with me.

That was on June 18th.

Fast forward to today and I decided I had given them enough time and started a chat with them today.

After explaining everything to them and then them asking for my info and then saying they were going to set up an RMA, they then came back and said the warranty was expired.

They said that the only way for me to get warranty repair is if the invoice specifically states the 5 year warranty.

They are supposed to escalate it again. They said I should hear back within 2 days, but from past experience I am not expecting them to do anything.

The board was purchased directly from Amazon a little over 3 years ago.

Nowhere did it say that it only had a 3 year warranty.

All places that reviewed it, sold it, and even ASUS' web site states that it has a 5 year warranty.

Has this happened to anybody else here?

RAJA, can you help out?

PM the RMA details - next time just PM me when you make these threads - I don't always pop by here as my time online is very limited of late. You are lucky I saw the thread.

Quickest way to get an RMA issue looked at is to drop an email to cl-jolene directly, she deals with the RMA center. Doing so will save time as I have to forward the case on to her anyway. Cannot do that without RMA details so a PM is always the quickest route. Make sure you include the RMA number when you email her, as she will need that to pull up the RMA history.

Last edited:
This is why I don't buy anything asus anymore. Its too bad since outside of their customer service they put out some great products a lot of the time.

Having a very similar issue with my Sabertooth TUF p67.

I got an RMA#, but when I sent it in USPS said "undeliverable" even though I copied and printed the exact address and RMA# from the email Asus sent me.

I guess the new game is try to scare the customer away with shipping charges? Duno, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get a chance to talk to somebody about this lunacy I guess.

PM the RMA details - next time just PM me when you make these threads - I don't always pop by here as my time online is very limited of late. You are lucky I saw the thread.

Quickest way to get an RMA issue looked at is to drop an email to cl-jolene directly, she deals with the RMA center. Doing so will save time as I have to forward the case on to her anyway. Cannot do that without RMA details so a PM is always the quickest route. Make sure you include the RMA number when you email her, as she will need that to pull up the RMA history.

So you just want to avoid the public shaming of your companies piss poor Customer Support eh? I love it..I am sure you do not always "pop by here" as you must stay busy trying to put these fires out across every tech forum on the internet.

You know, maybe before smack talking a vendor nice enough to help the user base here, you should learn how to read. He didn't say "PM me, don't create a thread" he said to PM him as well when you create a thread, which is reasonable as he doesn't live on this forum and may not see it otherwise. -Oldie

Last edited by a moderator:

More like, you are lucky for still having a job despite all the flak ASUS has been taking on this forum lately...

So you just want to avoid the public shaming of your companies piss poor Customer Support eh? I love it..I am sure you do not always "pop by here" as you must stay busy trying to put these fires out across every tech forum on the internet.

My post was quite clear:

"PM the RMA details - next time just PM me when you make these threads"

I did not say do not make the threads. I asked for a PM with RMA details so I could pass them on. Alternatively the customer can contact the CLM team directly.

I have a lot of other things to do, checking out the forums is a small percentage of my working week. The CLM team deals with RMA cases, not me.

Last edited:
More like, you are lucky for still having a job despite all the flak ASUS has been taking on this forum lately...

This is not my sole job. There will always be flak at forums, that is the nature of what people coming to forums frequent them for (complaints, moaning, expletives are commonplace).

Last edited:
Having a very similar issue with my Sabertooth TUF p67.

I got an RMA#, but when I sent it in USPS said "undeliverable" even though I copied and printed the exact address and RMA# from the email Asus sent me.

I guess the new game is try to scare the customer away with shipping charges? Duno, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I get a chance to talk to somebody about this lunacy I guess.

Drop an email to Cl-jolene with your RMA number. Add the @ASUS.COM to the end of that name to send the message. You might want to contact USPS as well and find out why the package was undeliverable.

Just sent you a PM. Was gone over the weekend and just saw this a few minutes ago.

Hope you get this all sorted ouit Cyclone.

Sounds like someone just didn't want to do their job. A lot of that over at ASUS's RMA Department. I have had my own experiences with them... Ultimately Asus isn't the top of my choices anymore...

Asus, get your shit together before the world of enthusiasts exiles you.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, I had the worst RMA experience of my life with asus

The constant negative RMA experience posted here is starting to rattle me. I have at least 1, maybe 2 builds coming up for skylake and I will have to consider other manufacturers. Evga has the best support in the industry but I gave up on their mobos after p67. Not sure if they've rebounded or not. Guess I'll look at MSI and Gigabyte too.

Raja responded to my PM and has forwarded the info. I will keep this thread updated with how things go.

We really should not have to resort to having to post on a 3rd party forum to get after sales service. Some things need to change over at ASUS.

biggest problem is that ASUS has expanded sortof-somewhat mainstream - they sell full systems/laptops and tons of other products in various categories

their RMA center is tasked to deal with all categories, and hence are clueless with detail oriented products/RMA's like motherboards (ironic considering their roots).

the reps over the phone do nothing but read off a prompt. when I had to RMA one of my boards, the rep was kind and believed my situation, but just said "humor me and just try this memOK process. it's in my procedure to ask you to do it and I can get this approved once we do and move on"

Wow.. this reminds me of my laptop that went to fuck on me. 5 times it was sent in, they even lost it once. When it was all said in done only got 1000 back out of the 1700 cost for the damn thing. Will never ever buy from Asus again. I know every company has issues but at least make it right with people. And it was an obvious hardware flaw in mine since my friend who was my roommate had the exact same model and treated his laptop like shit, he still has it to this day and that was 5 years ago now.

Moral of my story and yours now, Never buy asus again. They have a proven track record of being shit and not giving a damn about the customers. If I had a choice of parts and absolutely had to have say.. a videocard, I would rather go without until other companies get more stock, rather then use Asus. That extra 700 would be really fucking nice right now too..

This is some crazy shit.
ASUS is a giant world-wide company.......

BUT.......to get warranty service; valid, advertised, legitimate service......

you have to know a guy who knows a guy, and message a guy on a web site.

Unbelievable.

Look, I have lots of ASUS stuff. It hasn't failed me yet.

But my son needs a new build. I was looking hard at the Maximus VII Hero board.....

maybe I need to take a chance on MSI or Gigabyte.:rolleyes:

This is not my sole job. There will always be flak at forums, that is the nature of what people coming to forums frequent them for (complaints, moaning, expletives are commonplace).

This made me laugh.

There are also about half-a-million threads in this forum of people helping each other, recommending products, and giving awesome advice.

I'd wager there are a few gripes about other vendor's products as well.

But the overwhelming theme here is that a customer has to resort to posting a problem here, after trying to go through proper channels, before anything gets done.

Do we complain, sure. But I'd also wager we are a very small group of patrons who are willing to plunk down big dollars for your top-of-the-line products.

Raja responded to my PM and has forwarded the info. I will keep this thread updated with how things go.

We really should not have to resort to having to post on a 3rd party forum to get after sales service. Some things need to change over at ASUS.

One of the reasons why I'm giving you guys the direct contact for the CLM team here. That way, no need to go through me at all.

Back