Woman Assaults Man For Taking Pictures With A Drone

I call myself a journalist and I am taking pictures I want to sell to a local paper etc

Now what?

The local paper will want a model release form unless there is a local law stipulating the terms of candid photography.

I call myself a journalist and I am taking pictures I want to sell to a local paper etc

Now what?
If the paper publishes it without my written consent, they are liable for damages and will rat you out without giving a fuck in the world.

How's it feel to live in the middle of nowhere? :p

Not bad, actually. (You do have a point.)

Then again, I lived in Seattle until last year and I had the same experiences there. No one was sticking a camera in my face at all. I think the only time I was even on a cam was on a webcam to chat with someone and during like office holiday party pics.

By TwistedAegis;
I feel like I'm living in two separate worlds here....

Wake up dude, there are two or even three different worlds out there. A guy living in Chicago is not in the same world as the guy living in a small town in Texas. The guy who completely distrusts the cops in the big city is not the small town guy who knows both the cops in his town by name cause he went to school with one and the other was his best friend's dad.

Too bad this won't teach either of them a lesson he is going to be flying that thing all he wants she is gong to keep believing she has an expectancy of privacy and that she can go somewhere she won't have her photo taken.

This should be an eye opener but it is going to get swept under the rug.

If the paper publishes it without my written consent, they are liable for damages and will rat you out without giving a fuck in the world.

Nope. If it is a news story and you happen to be in the shot you have no recourse.

On the other hand, if your picture appears in an ad, or in other commercial promotional material, then you might have a case. And I say "might" because if it goes to the courts, there is by no means a guarantee.

The guy yelling help near the end almost made me want to revoke his man card. Of course, had he hit her, the whole story would have turned out differently. :(

The original idea for a drone was what is now considered an autonomous "whatever" then people started calling remote piloted vehicles "drones." The name became part of the popular language so autonomous vehicle had to be introduced. While the initial concept for a drone wasn't a truly autonomous vehicle as it couldn't plan its own path and objective, rather it was pre-loaded with a planed path and objective. The idea that a civilian quad-copter is a drone is rather misguided as they are either instructed to achieve a flight height and then "tether" to a controller that will keep the copter from flying to far from a transmitter as it sort of randomly drifts around following a pre-programmed set of flight controls. Or then quad-copter was being directly flown by the operator like the robotic flight planes that many people refer to as drones.

So let me see if I got you right?
Your idea of a drone is what some kids are doing with computer controlled quadcopters at the university or wherever and that's a cutting edge image of what a drone was initially supposed to be.... which was happening around the same time that the other drones, the ones with big cameras and other sensors on them were being flown from bases in Kazakhstan into Afghanistan while being controlled from Las Vegas.

Is this close?

People walk around in public every day with their cell phones snapping pictures left and right, right near/around your face, and no one gives a shit...
Yea, I gota say I have never seen this before either. Another world I guess.

Then again, I lived in Seattle until last year and I had the same experiences there. No one was sticking a camera in my face at all. I think the only time I was even on a cam was on a webcam to chat with someone and during like office holiday party pics.

I'm surprised you didn't see this all the time, especially with how many Asians live in Seattle. Whenever I go up there I see it all the time.

I do too. I miss it so much. :( Sure it has a few problems like any other place, but being on the east coast is just the most yucko thing to experience once you've lived in Seattle.

Lived in Jersey for 2 years, east coast is definitely a different feeling and environment. Flew into Seattle last week to visit the tri=cities and I'll tell you the scenery and fresh air is amazing.

I'm surprised you didn't see this all the time, especially with how many Asians live in Seattle. Whenever I go up there I see it all the time.

In tourist places, people are taking lots of pictures, yes. Like the Pacific Science Center had people with cameras all over the place. The Space Needle, Pike's Place, and anyplace else semi-famous (I even saw someone taking family pics in the IKEA store once) but they weren't pointing their cameras at me and if you're just living there and doing your usual go to work and go home kinda stuff, its not at all commonplace. Also, I don't think Asians (except maybe tourists from overseas) are really any more camera crazy than anyone else.

Lived in Jersey for 2 years, east coast is definitely a different feeling and environment. Flew into Seattle last week to visit the tri=cities and I'll tell you the scenery and fresh air is amazing.

A lot of it is the humidity and sort of sticky feeling you get with east coast summer weather. Right now in particular, I'm just dreading the next few months. Also, there's some pretty noticable cultural differences too. It's not for everyone, but for me, Seattle was the most amazing place to live. I'm kinda hoping to go back someday and I'm glad you enjoyed being there too.

Can he sue her for this? Causing pain and agony, or emotional distress? Good thing that he resisted knocking her ass out. Instead, I would try to find a way to slap her with a lawsuit.

Instead all I see is no one raising a hand to help their fellow man/woman, ever, and women being taught to yell "Fire!" instead of "Rape!" because no one will come to help with the latter.
When two people are fighting, really no one SHOULD help other than to break them up. After all, if you come in at that point, you don't know the back story or whose side to be on. And regarding coming to help if someone screams rape, that's just too risky for me to get involved in as I don't always carry a condom.

Zarathustra[H];1040886346 said:
It's no worse to assume that he didn't film anything else than it is to assume he did. Actually, the opposite is probably true. It is worse to assume he did (presumption of innocence and all). Either way, absent of proof the woman had no right to behave how she did..

That's something a lot of these morons don't understand.

Can he sue her for this? Causing pain and agony, or emotional distress? Good thing that he resisted knocking her ass out. Instead, I would try to find a way to slap her with a lawsuit.

Oh undoubtedly. The issue would be is it worth it. She'd no doubt argue that she was certain he was creeping, even if he wasn't, she'd still argue it and of course her lawyer would question if there was questionable video he may have deleted before the police arrive. And even if he was successful and won, there's his lawyer feeds. If he managed to get those included in his victory, does she have the money to pay? Getting payment is a whole other battle.

My friend is going through a bad divorce where her ex husband is refusing to pay child support. Her lawyer told her they'll keep trying but there's a million ways to avoid paying. And I imagine it's a lot easier to collect child support, where you can try garnishing wages than a civil lawsuit.

Oh undoubtedly. The issue would be is it worth it. She'd no doubt argue that she was certain he was creeping, even if he wasn't, she'd still argue it and of course her lawyer would question if there was questionable video he may have deleted before the police arrive. And even if he was successful and won, there's his lawyer feeds. If he managed to get those included in his victory, does she have the money to pay? Getting payment is a whole other battle.

My friend is going through a bad divorce where her ex husband is refusing to pay child support. Her lawyer told her they'll keep trying but there's a million ways to avoid paying. And I imagine it's a lot easier to collect child support, where you can try garnishing wages than a civil lawsuit.

Grrr, that would be "fees".

Guess it wouldn't be worth it. She doesn't look like shes loaded. I don't know, there has to be a way to make her pay for her actions. She got off too easy.

Chockomonkey, taking pics of each other or you?

Each other, and/or scenery. The point is, when someone takes a picture in a public place, there's bound to be other people in the frame.

OMG Really?

Your going to look at what he posted and think that that's all there is to it, that there is no way he has other video a little more damning that he didn't post for the world to see.

Fuck you are gullible aren't you?

There's a very specific way these things capture video because of the lens used(2.8mm), radio interference (fresnel zone), and how much weight they can carry (can't carry a DSLR). I have to hover within 10 feet of a road sign to read it.

When you fly FPV there certain requirements and specifications you need to abide by to be able to actually see where you're going. One of them is a wide angle lens to make up for the fact that you can't turn your head.

If this goes to trial (which I doubt since I expect her to plea bargain to a lesser offence) she is dumber than she has already proven herself to be. Guarantee you though she hasn't learned her lesson though.

LOL lying bitch got what she deserved. :)

No getting what she deserved would have been the dude knocking her dumb ass out.. But that would have gotten him in more trouble than it would have been worth..

No getting what she deserved would have been the dude knocking her dumb ass out.. But that would have gotten him in more trouble than it would have been worth..

Don't know if he could knock her out, he is a child and we don't know his strength.

Being a hobbyist photographer myself, I've had people approach me asking me to not take pictures of them before in public and grab at my Nikon. I even delete the photos involving people that aren't all grab-ass on my camera if they ask, but the people that are rude I'll get on them about harassment, coercion, conversion and theft (whenever applicable) begging them to call the police on me so I can file my own charges before it escalates any further.

I like landscape photography myself and take pictures when we are out and about.
Never had anyone complain but if someone said "don't take my picture!" and tried to grab my camera they would be introduced to my fist because obviously they would be attempting to rob me. ;)

"Without written consent"

You're IN PUBLIC, I can do whatever I want with the footage IN PUBLIC

Well, by "in your face" I mean they are taking pictures of things, each other, etc, and you undoubtedly are captured in some of those pictures. Not like they are literally putting the camera two inches from your face. But really the point is, you don't have much expectation of privacy when you are in a public place.

I actually lived in Seattle for several years...now I live farther north. :cool:

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

I can use it on my news station/youtube channel/whatever and monetize it because I am doing criticism/commentary over it

If I used it to sell a product like say you were super pale and I used your image for a poster of "BUY INSTANT TAN OR YOU'LL LOOK LIKE THIS!" then yeah you have a leg to stand on

However, that is not happening here, so....

So let me see if I got you right?
Your idea of a drone is what some kids are doing with computer controlled quadcopters at the university or wherever and that's a cutting edge image of what a drone was initially supposed to be.... which was happening around the same time that the other drones, the ones with big cameras and other sensors on them were being flown from bases in Kazakhstan into Afghanistan while being controlled from Las Vegas.

Is this close?

Unmanned aircraft are not drones. They are remote controlled unmanned aircraft. A true drone needs to be able to be programmed to complete something be it drive around the block, fly around the world drop a bomb and come back, or sweep your floors on its own with out human intervention. What separates a drone from something that is totally autonomous is that a drone has to be programmed every time or has to do the same task repeatedly on the same set of manually loaded programming or environmentally learned programming. A Hell Fire unmanned aircraft can fly on its own much like a regular plane can, with auto-pilot. However, it still needs humans to handle the controls for most of the mission critical aspects.

The guy yelling help near the end almost made me want to revoke his man card. Of course, had he hit her, the whole story would have turned out differently. :(

Yeah this right here. If he does nothing he's a wimp. If he did anything he'd of been arrested immediately; the cops wouldn't of bothered to hear his side. His recorded evidence would not have been found on his phone later.

Wow, scary to think how differently this could've turned out had he not recorded it. Men should start widgeting camera apps to their lockscreens.

Unmanned aircraft are not drones. They are remote controlled unmanned aircraft. A true drone needs to be able to be programmed to complete something be it drive around the block, fly around the world drop a bomb and come back, or sweep your floors on its own with out human intervention. What separates a drone from something that is totally autonomous is that a drone has to be programmed every time or has to do the same task repeatedly on the same set of manually loaded programming or environmentally learned programming. A Hell Fire unmanned aircraft can fly on its own much like a regular plane can, with auto-pilot. However, it still needs humans to handle the controls for most of the mission critical aspects.

These multirotors are complex enough for that tho. ArduPilotMega is an open source processing board that an average RC builder can buy online, and it's got enough memory and capability to launch, fly a grid pattern at high altitude and land with no user intervention. And every multirotor flight controller with a GPS module is capable of it to some extent. It's just that most users don't know how to use it.

Is it still legitimate to say that these aren't drones when they already have the functionality and the only thing missing from the description is that the pilot doesn't know how to turn it on?

Sexism. If it were a guy attacking a child and making false charges he would have gotten felony charges filed against him.

Would you really? The first rule of lawsuits is: don't sue people who don't have deep pockets. There are no hints about how much money she has, so she's probably not a billionaire. It's highly unlikely that some random person on the beach has enough money to be worth pursuing with a lawsuit. If you really want to be that kind of frivolous lawsuit asshole and potentially get some money doing it, you could sue the park for allowing this woman to scuffle with someone on its premises, and sue the police department for not coming to your aid quickly enough, and the drone manufacturer for not warning you that stupid people might get testy with you for flying one around, and maybe some other entities with lots of money that I'm not stupid enough to think of suing.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

I can use it on my news station/youtube channel/whatever and monetize it because I am doing criticism/commentary over it

If I used it to sell a product like say you were super pale and I used your image for a poster of "BUY INSTANT TAN OR YOU'LL LOOK LIKE THIS!" then yeah you have a leg to stand on

However, that is not happening here, so....
Congratulations for all the crap I already know. The fact is he is not a journalist and can claim to be one. But if he starts to commercialize it by monetizing money off my face without my written consent, he can be sued. That's why newspapers have constantly sought permission for every photograph they use from a 3rd party. Even today with the Southwest Jet, there's a reporter on the twitter feed constantly asking for the right to use the picture.

Back