What is your backup GPU?

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
I was able to get another RTX as my backup GPU and that got me thinking - what is your primary GPU and your backup GPU, if you have one at all? It seems a bit wasteful for me, but I need my GPU for work (and very light gaming nowadays). I used to keep a pretty low end GPU and if I need to RMA my main one, I can put it in and order another one right away. But given the current stock situation, I think I need it to do this.

Fury Nitro (non-X) is my backup GPU, 'cause my upgrade timing sucks and when I decided to upgrade my 980Ti the shenanigans had already begun. This was somewhere around the 2080 release time frame. Foolishly thinking it will pass soon, I waited for prices and hype to settle down.... LOL

so yea... 980Ti is my main GPU and Fury is my spare. I spose I do have a 770 and 660Ti laying around but not really considering them viable nowadays

My primary is the Zotac AMP Extreme 1070. I got a 980Ti some where as a backup along with a Gigabyte 670 I use for testing purposes. Haven't been able to snag an RTX yet and I'm not going to pay scalping prices for one. I'll keep playing the waiting game. My 1070 has served me well up to this point.

Right now it's my wife's RTX 2060. She has integrated graphics on her mobo, so I can grab her card and we can at least both work in a pinch. When I RMA'd my 3090, that's how we had to operate for a week.

I've got piles of them at this point, but I guess the one I'd probably actually use is a Radeon 390, because it has just the right ports for my monitors.

Reactions: travm
like this
I have a 1080ti, but a 980ti in the kids computer if mine fails I would ues the 980ti or a have an AMD 7870 that will atleast get me by or onboard intel video.

My 3080 EVGA FTW3 is going to be my primary and I'll have a vega64 on the shelf for at least a bit assuming I decide not to sell it.

Im rather spoiled.

Main GPU: RTX 3080
Backup: RTX 2070 Super

I really wanted HDMI 2.1. Otherwise, I would probably still be using the 2070 Super ad my main GPU.

I don't have a backup GPU really. My primary GPU is still a 670 in a machine a built 9 years ago, and my secondary GPU is a 560 Ti that I actually wound up cleaning up and transferring from an old machine to a new one when I built a new computer and parted that one out. The closest thing to a "backup GPU" I have would be an old 8800 GTS that's still sitting in the box in the closet my 560 Ti came in, but then again there is a reason my last two computers have onboard Intel HD Graphics... I've been positions where I had to wait around for weeks with a graphics card after building a PC before, and so I have the integrated graphics as a natural failsafe try to avoid being in a situation where I'm stuck with a completely unusable PC if my GPU dies or there are severe shortages. Sure, you can't game on it, but you can at least get to the Windows desktop and keep using it for other things in the meantime, like compiling code, etc.

My 3080 EVGA FTW3 is going to be my primary and I'll have a vega64 on the shelf for at least a bit assuming I decide not to sell it.
Same dilemma as me, although my backup is the identical 3090. So tough to even get anything so I decide to keep it for now.

I don't have a backup GPU really. My primary GPU is still a 670 in a machine a built 9 years ago, and my secondary GPU is a 560 Ti that I actually wound up cleaning up and transferring from an old machine to a new one when I built a new computer and parted that one out. The closest thing to a "backup GPU" I have would be an old 8800 GTS that's still sitting in the box in the closet my 560 Ti came in, but then again there is a reason my last two computers have onboard Intel HD Graphics... I've been positions where I had to wait around for weeks with a graphics card after building a PC before, and so I have the integrated graphics as a natural failsafe try to avoid being in a situation where I'm stuck with a completely unusable PC if my GPU dies or there are severe shortages. Sure, you can't game on it, but you can at least get to the Windows desktop and keep using it for other things in the meantime, like compiling code, etc.
I love my 8800 GTS! One of the most fun card I have when I had abundant of time for gaming.

[ ... ]

so yea... 980Ti is my main GPU and Fury is my spare. I spose I do have a 770 and 660Ti laying around but not really considering them viable nowadays
LOL Because of a really foolish decision last May to wait for the new Nvidia and AMD GPU cards, I'm stuck running my new rig (ASUS X570 Strix-E, AMD 3900X) with my only GPU card, which is a 660 Ti. A great example of the "folly" of not buying now when there is an immediate need, and waiting for that wonderful next gen technology. :censored:

I gave someone my old GTX 680 and they sent me, quite unexpectedly, their GTX 580 which makes that 580 my back up. Wife got the hand-me-down GTX 980 but I can't just yoink it from her machine.

now that I've switched to a laptop for everything I guess my backup GPU is the iGPU but it's a new machine so I hope it doesn't come to that for many years (or ever) >_>
I do have a 560Ti that I was kind of keeping around as a backup for my desktop in case the Vega developed issues but since that got eBay'd and the desktop is being parted I'm aiming to sell that too. If I still had more GPUs I'd also be selling those lol

My backup would be this Firepro W7000, i just signed up for my first newegg shuffle and got a GIGABYTE GV-N306TAORUS 3060ti. Not the card i wanted, but i guess better then nothing.

Thinking of keeping the 3090 FTW3 and the RX6800 long term. Keeping 2x 3090s will make me a very 'hot' boy in the summers...

Thinking of keeping the 3090 FTW3 and the RX6800 long term. Keeping 2x 3090s will make me a very 'hot' boy in the summers...
Do you have power issue with the 3090 FTW3? You have quite a few cards for sale, so I don't think you need to worry about keeping a backup 😊

Ain't got no back up GPU. On the rare occasions that mine have failed, I've just run my motherboard's video port until I got a replacement GPU.

Do you have power issue with the 3090 FTW3? You have quite a few cards for sale, so I don't think you need to worry about keeping a backup 😊
Lol, just wanted to prove I could still beat 'em bots. Not so far though temp wise it is no better than the FE (may be a couple).

Last edited:
My backup is an old reference HD 6950 that's in my secondary PC and I actually had to use this fall when my also old RX 480 died. I thought I was getting a bad deal paying msrp for a previous gen card to replace it but now the card I got is selling for over three times as much and I wished that I had spent the extra hundred to get the 5700xt since I still haven't managed to get a new card.

I'm hoping to get a new card before too long and relegate the 6950 to secondary backup, right now that falls to my 8800gt which I think would work but only for 1080 and only if I can find the hdmi adapter or bother to pull out my old monitor.

RTX 3070/RX 6080 XT -> 2080 Super -> GTX 1650 Super -> GTX 980 that was overheating that I managed to get back in working order -> GTX 670

Guess I’m prepared if anything goes wrong 😁

Might sell the 1650 Super since I was able to get the 980 working again.

Main GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Backups: RX570, R9 270x, HD 5850, GTS 250, 8600GT and as last resort, Intel IGP.

An unstable Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X, but at least runs an OS without artifacting.

My second rig is my back-up so it’s a 1080 Ti FTW3. Also have a GTX 1060 in a box somewhere in the extremely rare event that I need a back-up for my back-up.

My primary GPU is my eVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra video card. My backup (as I can call it that until I sell or give away my older rig) is my eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC video card. Thanks. Out!

gonna keep my xfx r9 280x as backup even though people are listing them for 200 on ebay (insane right?)

R9 290X as backup for my 3090 FE (my Vega 64, which was my real backup card, died completely), which is pathetic because the GTX 1070 in my laptop (TDP modded to 230W) is faster than it, with more VRAM, but it's a MXM card so I can't use it in my desktop (and is paired with a 7820HK ) :(

My trusty, indestructible MSI 290X Lightning. I'm still at 1080p so that card could still get me along until I got a replacement for my 2070.

Back