What is your backup GPU?

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
2080 RTX is my main. Backup is in my exercise room computer, a 1080 GTX that I got as a replacement from Gigabyte when my 980 Ti burned down. I didn't know how long it would take them to replace it so that's why I just bought the 2080 since I was driving a bigger screen at that point anyway.

I have a 780 GTX but I guess its vram is corrupt, gets artifacts on the display on black screens. My other 780 GTX I gave to a friend of mine to use. My 7870 Ghz got killed by a friend that I let use it. It's got artifacts on the screen, too.

Aaaand so that makes my current backup, running in my mini-ITX build... a 5850HD. I also have a 7800 GT sitting around that still runs, but it looks pretty awful. It ain't gonna hold up much longer.

Honestly I wouldn't even have upgraded to the 2080 if my 980 Ti didn't burn down. I've kind of stopped giving as much of a crap about experiencing the newfangled high end graphics. I find that no matter how much G-Sync I have going on or how much I upgrade my CPU or GPU, it just always has micro stutters. The build doesn't matter, how new the windows installation is doesn't matter. Nothing matters. I'll just have micro stutters. That's the only constant. So I don't care, I'll go for a decent amount of eye candy but I'm not gonna sit there and do huge upgrades for it.

Last edited:

Work

n00b
I was able to get another RTX as my backup GPU and that got me thinking - what is your primary GPU and your backup GPU, if you have one at all? It seems a bit wasteful for me, but I need my GPU for work (and very light gaming nowadays). I used to keep a pretty low end GPU and if I need to RMA my main one, I can put it in and order another one right away. But given the current stock situation, I think I need it to do this.
Geforce Now is my “backup GPU”, or there’s always XCom2 on my iPad.
I tried Stadia, but not having my Steam library is a major issue. NVidia has steadily been improving their streaming.
:)

Backup? This. Hardware bought back in the day. Got the card free actually. The profit driven upgrade crap got old long ago. No need for uber fancy graphics here. Plenty of great older titles that can be had dirt cheap. And no need for 27 button mouse.

View attachment 360891
The irony here is that your Voodoo5 4500 is now worth a startling amount on eBay, as all 3dfx cards seem to be nowadays.

GPU scalping: not just for the latest and greatest!

I admit, half the fun of doing retro PC builds was that the parts used to be dirt cheap after years of depreciation and obsolescence, but now prominent YouTube channels featuring a lot of desirable parts from the era have made prices shoot way up all of a sudden, so now it's no longer cheap regardless of which period of PC gaming you want to indulge in.

blank

2[H]4U
OG Titan. Currently on a 1080ti FTW3, soon to become backup to a 3080ti FTW3 :)

Mi|enko

n00b
2080Ti is my primary. If it dies, I'll take the 2080 that I put in one of my son's rigs and place the GTX 960 that's in my plex server into his system. Doubt there's much risk of this happening, since my Ti's on a custom loop and barely peaks at 45C.

JSHamlet234

Limp Gawd
2080Ti is my primary. If it dies, I'll take the 2080 that I put in one of my son's rigs and place the GTX 960 that's in my plex server into his system. Doubt there's much risk of this happening, since my Ti's on a custom loop and barely peaks at 45C.

I died laughing when I read that. I should put my spare 960 in my son's rig while he's asleep and see how long it takes him to notice.

Mi|enko

n00b
I died laughing when I read that. I should put my spare 960 in my son's rig while he's asleep and see how long it takes him to notice.

lol Yeah. Kind of a DB move, but between Minecraft, TABS, and Fortnite, he wouldn't even notice. He's only 9 (birthday today) and I just upgraded him from his 1660 & 2600x to my secondary rig (8700k & 2080) so that I could pass his original rig down to our soon to be 6yo for his birthday.

I'm building my own clan. :-D

JSHamlet234

Limp Gawd
lol Yeah. Kind of a DB move, but between Minecraft, TABS, and Fortnite, he wouldn't even notice. He's only 9 (birthday today) and I just upgraded him from his 1660 & 2600x to my secondary rig (8700k & 2080) so that I could pass his original rig down to our soon to be 6yo for his birthday.

That's really cool, I guess I hand down computer parts in age order too. My 7 year old is the one actually using the 960 (so I guess it's not really a spare afterall).

Direkt

Weaksauce

A 2080 as a hand me down?! Are you adopting?

Mi|enko

n00b
A 2080 as a hand me down?! Are you adopting?
Honestly, it was a rig I built a couple years ago for a once a year lan party. Then I used it for x265 encoding throughout the year to not tie up my main rig. Having recently moved cross country, no more lan party goodness unless I fly back (which if I do, I'll just take his rig with me haha).