Watch Dogs

Its pretty and it looks interesting, ubisoft is a bit of a turn off but if the game gets a good review I will probably get it. The most impressive bit about this is how well they did creating a virtual chicago, I'm pretty sure that's an actual recreation of an intersection near the University I went to aside from a few very subtle differences. Hopefully, it will be better than deus ex.

It's a pretty accurate representation of the Chicago Theatre and the State and Lake intersection with some due liberties taken. The train tracks, bridges, and all are spot on.

Also, for everyone else: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

It's a pretty accurate representation of the Chicago Theatre and the State and Lake intersection with some due liberties taken. The train tracks, bridges, and all are spot on.

That's sweet. I wish i knew chicago, because it would likely bring this game to a whole new level.

That's sweet. I wish i knew chicago, because it would likely bring this game to a whole new level.

Yeah, I made a huge double-take when I watched the trailer for the first time and saw the train platform. I work not too far from the location in the trailer, in-fact my train stop used to be right there when I worked at a different company last year. So it's all pretty surreal for me.

I think it's the guy with the box thing on his head that's cuing the cyberpunk stuff.

Yeah it's debatable. I guess I don't really consider everyone having cell phones and wireless hacking to be that much "advanced science" but I can see the argument there.

I think it's the ctOS thing and the fact that it's all "digital identity" with a protagonist that is basically a cyberterrorist/anarchist. Exactly like that article put it, "high tech, low life."

Also, I'd say the atmosphere that club has going on contributes a little bit.

I think it's the ctOS thing and the fact that it's all "digital identity" with a protagonist that is basically a cyberterrorist/anarchist. Exactly like that article put it, "high tech, low life."

Also, I'd say the atmosphere that club has going on contributes a little bit.

Yeah, I can see that. I guess my thinking is out of all the cyberpunk examples given in the article, they all have some element of cybernetics or robotics going on, whether it be androids, bio-enhancements, etc. Maybe that is going on in this game too but we haven't seen enough yet to know.

Either way, it's not that important. :cool:

Yeah, I can see that. I guess my thinking is out of all the cyberpunk examples given in the article, they all have some element of cybernetics or robotics going on, whether it be androids, bio-enhancements, etc. Maybe that is going on in this game too but we haven't seen enough yet to know.

Either way, it's not that important. :cool:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but I don't think we'll be seeing any cybernetics/augmentation type of stuff in this game given that it seems like they're going for a slightly more advanced 2013. It's something that is realistically not too far off from reality.

Also, there's definitely a good read to be had over here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/hackers-paradise-ubisoft-on-watch-dogs/

Just whetting my appetite.

If I didn't already see the 9 minute video, I'd tell you this project was too ambitious to ever see a release.

Even after reading that link, I still wonder if it's not too ambitious.

If I didn't already see the 9 minute video, I'd tell you this project was too ambitious to ever see a release.

Even after reading that link, I still wonder if it's not too ambitious.

If they don't rush things and don't cut corners it's doable and frankly there are some concepts in there that are overdue to show up IMO.

If they don't rush things and don't cut corners it's doable and frankly there are some concepts in there that are overdue to show up IMO.

Agreed. I'm kind of hoping for a late 2013 release at this point. Give them all the time they need to get this right.

The whole bit about how other peoples missions online would potentially cross roads with something you are doing for a totally different reason sounds really dope. Like you are bout to enter a buidling but then a car chase comes screaming down the street in front of you and that car chase is another player playing a another mission that happens to interrupt yours.

I'm thinking that sometimes it'll just be something quick that doesn't really affect you but other times it could be something where you end up battling or helping each other depending on the situation. Takiing that car chase example, imagined if he crashed right near you and had to get out and shoot his way free. You could find yourself in the middle of a gun fight that happened because of something completely dynamic.

The whole bit about how other peoples missions online would potentially cross roads with something you are doing for a totally different reason sounds really dope. Like you are bout to enter a buidling but then a car chase comes screaming down the street in front of you and that car chase is another player playing a another mission that happens to interrupt yours.

I'm thinking that sometimes it'll just be something quick that doesn't really affect you but other times it could be something where you end up battling or helping each other depending on the situation. Takiing that car chase example, imagined if he crashed right near you and had to get out and shoot his way free. You could find yourself in the middle of a gun fight that happened because of something completely dynamic.

That would be some of the most dope shit since the dawn of video games. In this game's kind of setting? Sign me the fuck up.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but I don't think we'll be seeing any cybernetics/augmentation type of stuff in this game given that it seems like they're going for a slightly more advanced 2013. It's something that is realistically not too far off from reality.

Also, there's definitely a good read to be had over here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/hackers-paradise-ubisoft-on-watch-dogs/

Yeah, that is a good read.

It's funny that RPS mentioned cyberpunk but then in the interview the developer says something to the extent of "it's all based on [current] real-world references". :p

It does sound like it could be set in like, 2015 with more or less current technology (not really more "advanced") but just more pervasive in our lives.

I also agree that the project does sound highly ambitious. That multiplayer though, if done right, would be a total game-changer.

This sounds a lot like APB but on a smaller scale which, if done right, would be brilliant. I just don't want to see it overdone to where it's unrealistic and the entire city feels like it's in chaos.

As long as they don't just randomly shoot the target you're following or crash cars into you. :p

Would prefer some kind of co-op...or friends only.

Yeah, that is a good read.

It's funny that RPS mentioned cyberpunk but then in the interview the developer says something to the extent of "it's all based on [current] real-world references". :p

It does sound like it could be set in like, 2015 with more or less current technology (not really more "advanced") but just more pervasive in our lives.

I also agree that the project does sound highly ambitious. That multiplayer though, if done right, would be a total game-changer.

What he means by "real-world references" is this: http://www.infowars.com/talking-surveillance-cameras-coming-to-u-s-streets/ which he explicitly mentions in this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9FK-7A1IU. Which is currently a bit of a reality already in Chicago. I'm looking for something I read not too long ago that the DHS did upgrade some of the surveillance cameras in the city to a degree in which they can focus into a single conversation or even be clear enough to see what you're writing within range. Kinda creepy but definitely a reality.

As long as they don't just randomly shoot the target you're following or crash cars into you. :p

Would prefer some kind of co-op...or friends only.
Yea that would suck cause you always have to account for the tard factor, hehe. But and this is purely my take on it, the way the game would handle it is that typically you are focused on your mission and not just walking aimlessly around. So I think there would be a lesser chance of someone messing stuff up until after he realizes he's in the middle of someone else's shit.

This sounds a lot like APB but on a smaller scale which, if done right, would be brilliant. I just don't want to see it overdone to where it's unrealistic and the entire city feels like it's in chaos.

Definitely, if I was to stick with my current idea of how it'll be done, I would say they could have an option to limit the number of people or events that could cross paths potentially.

looks interesting...gets points for originality...are you able to choose which action you want?...for example the car crash at the end of the demo...can you choose another option?...seems like you have that spinning wheel of choices...hopefully the game is more open world and choice based versus being strictly linear

looks interesting...gets points for originality...are you able to choose which action you want?...for example the car crash at the end of the demo...can you choose another option?...seems like you have that spinning wheel of choices...hopefully the game is more open world and choice based versus being strictly linear

From the article posted earlier...

RPS: The demo opened at a very methodical, atypical (at least, for games) pace, but ended with slow-mo shooting and cyberpunks dying very real deaths. So, is this an action game, or a game about hacking that just so happens to contain brief, powerful moments of action?

Dominic Guay: It’s definitely going to be an action-adventure game at the heart of things. Every player is going to play differently. It’s an open world, and every mission objective has different ways of pulling it off. You saw how he got into the [art show] center by doing something very subtle – hacking the system. He could’ve also stealthed in through a back door or barged in through the front. So some players may want to play very violently, and some others might want subtlety and control. Obviously, we’re going to give you options to use all of those things, and you as the player – depending on your type of approach – are going to be able to mix that up.

RPS: Is that, in some ways, to your disadvantage, though? I feel like the hacking mechanic – given proper attention and nourishment – could stand alone and really evolve into something special.

Dominic Guay: Well, the reality of things is that we want to give the player a lot of power. So we want Pearce’s actions to have impact. As you saw in the demo, you start a firefight in the middle of downtown – you hack a traffic light to make everyone crash – there’s collateral damage. A woman got killed. And then we choose to save a bystander there amidst the collateral damage. Do I want to do those things? Do I want to create those collateral damages?

Or maybe I could have taken a different approach. Maybe I could’ve followed the guy to the park and then taken him out much more subtly than just starting a firefight. So I think letting players express their freedom – and not just through violence, though he’s definitely capable of it – and mixing it up with his ability for control, that’s the sweet spot. I mean, he hacked a traffic light but ended up in a firefight. That’s the sweet spot we’re aiming for.

So I think the answer is yes.

From the article posted earlier...

So I think the answer is yes.

cool...sounds a lot like Deus Ex: Human Revolution in style and substance (a good thing)

all that info that pops up on people (HIV+, employment status, criminal history etc) is a lot of info...hopefully it plays into the game in various ways and doesn't only apply when the person is directly in front of you

Yes, there was a chance, if you noticed, that when the train was going by it had an option to hack into that. Not entirely sure what that would entail but it sounds sweet nonetheless!

the more I read about this game the more interesting it sounds...lot of potential but the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was very ambitious early on as well before they started cutting out a lot of the open world/dynamic features...sometimes a game can be too ambitious

"Every single person wandering Chicago's streets can be scanned and will boast their own unique backstory, however mundane it might be. You can then react to that information as you see fit, slotting yourself into their lives in a variety of ways.

"We don't need to set specific mission objectives," insists Guay.

"I'll give you an example. You'll walk around the city, profiling people through the surveillance system and you'll see a guy who is convicted of some horrible crime - a multiple rapist or whatever. You see him walk down an alleyway and decide to follow them. You have a gun, you have all these abilities - what will you decide to do with that knowledge? That's the player's choice, and they're going to have to face the consequences of those choices too."

Impressively, all these tiny subplots are individually crafted by the game's writers rather than being randomly generated...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-watch-dogs-preview-placing-power-in-your-palm

the more I read about this game the more interesting it sounds...lot of potential but the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was very ambitious early on as well before they started cutting out a lot of the open world/dynamic features...sometimes a game can be too ambitious

"Every single person wandering Chicago's streets can be scanned and will boast their own unique backstory, however mundane it might be. You can then react to that information as you see fit, slotting yourself into their lives in a variety of ways.

"I'll give you an example. You'll walk around the city, profiling people through the surveillance system and you'll see a guy who is convicted of some horrible crime - a multiple rapist or whatever. You see him walk down an alleyway and decide to follow them. You have a gun, you have all these abilities - what will you decide to do with that knowledge? That's the player's choice, and they're going to have to face the consequences of those choices too."

Impressively, all these tiny subplots are individually crafted by the game's writers rather than being randomly generated...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-watch-dogs-preview-placing-power-in-your-palm

While that sounds impressive I'm betting a lot of the subplots will be similar if not exactly the same with minor changes. I'm sure Ubisoft is going to want this out before the end of the generation and maybe even before the hype for the next big MS and Sony console reach their peak. Assuming MS and Sony both announce next year and maybe even launch next year I don't see this game stretching out too much longer. They've been working for two years already so I wonder how far along they are with all of these mechanics.

While that sounds like a good leap for video games, it just comes off as a little creepy. Kind of like a guy playing cops/robbers or even worse, playing god. Let's not get off the point here, I'll kill everyone in the game if it allows me to. :cool:

It really does look great, but I remember similar excitement being generated by those early Far Cry 2 and the first Assassin's Creed videos, and they didn't turn out to be all that good...

It really does look great, but I remember similar excitement being generated by those early Far Cry 2 and the first Assassin's Creed videos, and they didn't turn out to be all that good...

I'd like to hope Ubi Montreal has learned from those games.

I remember when I was excited for AC but then they announced the sci-fi twist they had going on shortly before launch that totally killed my boner. I hope they don't do something like that to this IP.

I'd like to hope Ubi Montreal has learned from those games.

Me too. Ubi Montreal has great ideas and concepts but historically (Splinter Cell and then Chaos Theory, AC to ACII, and maybe FC2 to FC3) it takes the developer a couple of games to get it right.

People said the same thing about Max Payne. A third person shooter with cover mechanics set in a modern world is not a clone of that mediocre game.

Hey Kane and Lynch wasn't terrible. Just the shooting scenarios didn't have much variety so it was repetitive. And the cussing was over the top.

Hey Kane and Lynch wasn't terrible. Just the shooting scenarios didn't have much variety so it was repetitive. And the cussing was over the top.

He didn't say it was terrible he said it was mediocre. Kane and Lynch is pretty much the type of that that 50% scores exist for. Nothing offensively terrible but not nothing great either. They simply exist.

The big question I have about the video is whether or not you get to choose to kill the guy or not. Would you have had the option to actually let him live and give him a message to deliver?

The big question I have about the video is whether or not you get to choose to kill the guy or not. Would you have had the option to actually let him live and give him a message to deliver?

I'm going to assume you have to kill him but that is an interesting question.

Hey Kane and Lynch wasn't terrible.

Yes it was IMO at least.

He didn't say it was terrible he said it was mediocre. Kane and Lynch is pretty much the type of that that 50% scores exist for. Nothing offensively terrible but not nothing great either. They simply exist.

It was fairly terrible IMO. 50 percent = terrible.

2 was a little better. 2 had some really nice art direction and was *almost* a good game. I'd give that a 70 percent.

All Kane and Lynch really needed to be was Hitman Blood Money with a light squad mechanic. I remember the early marketing sure made it look that way. That would have been awesome.

Or if you prefer, I'll cite an earlier work of IO's that was and is far superior to either K&L game: Freedom Fighters. It did "that" better and without all the grit and the cursing and super violence. Fantastic game.

K&L as a gritty Freedom Fighters like variant = gold that you can milk forever and ever.

Freedom Fighters desperately needs a sequel btw. And for those of you have never played it: Track it down!

Just the shooting scenarios didn't have much variety so it was repetitive. And the cussing was over the top.

Those were some of the many problems, yes.

I know we don't have much to go on right now but I personally can tell from what we've seen thus far, in total, that we're looking at an appreciably better game than either K&L game. 80/100 worse case scenario prediction by me and that'll be considered a major letdown for a lot of us it's no better than a score like that would indicate.

I'm going to assume you have to kill him but that is an interesting question.

The more i think about it, the more questions i have.

Does anyone know what powers the guy has? I mean, does he have all this info about everyone because he's telepathic? Or is this in the future where people have chips that he's hacking? or is there like a big brother who's compiled information in a database which he is accessing?

Can you fail quests? What would have happened if you got caught in the club and let the guy get away?

It was amazing to see the ability to save an innocent bystander (even though you caused the death/injury of others through the traffic collision). To have actions beyond kill is a huge step in the right direction--hopefully more games will start including this.

The more i think about it, the more questions i have.

Does anyone know what powers the guy has? I mean, does he have all this info about everyone because he's telepathic? Or is this in the future where people have chips that he's hacking? or is there like a big brother who's compiled information in a database which he is accessing?

Can you fail quests? What would have happened if you got caught in the club and let the guy get away?

It was amazing to see the ability to save an innocent bystander (even though you caused the death/injury of others through the traffic collision). To have actions beyond kill is a huge step in the right direction--hopefully more games will start including this.

They're not talking about why he is able to do it yet but they have said it makes sense. It sounds like everything is tied into this CtOS thing and the idea that it tracks everything about a person so someone with a backdoor into that would be able to pull up info on anyone because "big brother" knows everything. They also said that you won't have all those abilities from the outset so there is some kind of level up mechanic.

Back