Watch Dogs

As much as I'm looking forward to AC3 I have to say it looks a bit dated next to this thing, especially if we're talking about all console footage here across the boards.

I could be kidding myself but if Ubi Montreal has been working on this for two years, there's a decent chance this things streets for the holidays this year. Going to be interesting.

Same here. What gets me even more jazzed up is again, if it looks this good on console footage, what am I going to see when I crank it up on the PC?

C'mon folks...that's a thought worth getting a little "irrational" and even "hypocritical" for. ;)

It's only a nine minute video but methinks they're going to have to try pretty damned hard to screw that up. Like others have said: The video implies a bit of an open world with some freedom and variety of choices. If that's the case...wow.

To be fair to AC3, Watch Dogs was running on a high end PC.

I doubt we'll see it this year. I think Ubi wouldn't given a release date if it was coming out around the holiday. I'm guessing holiday next year at the earliest, maybe even late winter or early spring 2014.

To be fair to AC3, Watch Dogs was running on a high end PC.

It was? Damn, ok. I retract my earlier comment. I'm eager to see AC3 in all its glory on my PC, btw. ;)

I doubt we'll see it this year. I think Ubi wouldn't given a release date if it was coming out around the holiday. I'm guessing holiday next year at the earliest, maybe even late winter or early spring 2014.

*whistles* That far off? Dang.

Wow, I must say I am impress by the numbers of people they have around which really makes the world realistic. I don't think I've seen any other games yet with such crowded environment.

Of course the technical side of thing isn't everything a game is about. If the gameplay is fun (how the controls feel, how scripted or dynamic the world is, etc), this could turn out to be a great title.

I was also very impressed by the number of people at the "party" moving around. This game definitely came out of nowhere for me and I'll be watching it closely. The facial animation and voice acting was very good; that being said, it better be for a cherry picked 9 minute video. ;)

I guess I'm one of the few that isn't impressed just by virtue of being developed by Ubisoft. Their sandbox games tend to have little depth and shoddy combat.

Your loss.

I figured I'd come in here this morning and see the usual hate and bullshit. Good God people.

Let me try this one time: IT ISN'T ALWAYS ONLINE DRM ANYMORE! IT HASN'T BEEN FOR A QUITE A WHILE!

This will be a day one buy for me. I'd by a system for it if I have to. Upgrade my PC, whatever it takes.

This and The Last of Us are the two crown jewels by far of the E3 that I've seen thus far. Dishonored might be the other one.

Listen to yourself! This will be a day one buy? You'd buy a "system" for it? Come to your fucking senses man! You've seen one god damned video. Again, it's Ubisoft, fuck these guys.

Listen to yourself! This will be a day one buy? You'd buy a "system" for it? Come to your fucking senses man! You've seen one god damned video. Again, it's Ubisoft, fuck these guys.

Calm down. We...or some of us at least...are just having some fun here. :)

Since when did people start taking things so seriously and literally on a damned gaming forum? Gee whiz, guys, lighten up.

A little post E3 footage glow in my hyperbole I admit but really: They'd have to try pretty hard to screw up what I'm seeing in that video. Can it be screwed up? Sure.

That video turned a lot of heads including mine. Look around.

Granted, the imagination starts filling some blanks pretty fast. That's where the buzz hits.

That's usually what the fun of these shows is for some of this. The ultimate proof will, of course, be in the pudding.

Relax. :)

It might merit its own thread somewhere but it would be interesting to see what games people can come up with that were "holy shit!" at E3 or one of these shows and then ended up being huge turds and letdowns.

Last edited:
It might merit its own thread somewhere but it would be interesting to see what games people can come up with that were "holy shit!" at E3 or one of these shows and then ended up being huge turds and letdowns.

You would get people ready and willing to piss on perfectly good games, though.

I don't know if AC oohed and aahed, but I remember that people were pretty dang excited for it. While it was a perfectly fine game, it did suffer from monotony, and a lot of people bitched about it. The second one was a big upgrade in that department, I thought.

I liked what I saw in that 9+ minute gameplay footage. I'm definitely interested in this one, though I'm not sure what platform I'd get it on.

Looks good so far. It's one of the few games that seems to get crowd density correct.

The Assassin's Creed games always make the cities feel alive because of how packed the streets are.

This looks super rad.

Some somewhat overcritical nitpicks:

Street not that busy -> dick with traffic lights -> SUDDENLY 15 CARS IN 3 SECONDS OH FUCK OH SHIT

People hanging out right fucking next to the crime scene 3 seconds after it happened. Holy shit did you not just hear the hail of gunfire, ENORMOUS FUCKING EXPLOSION, and see the dead bodies everywhere?

Trailer looks good, I've not seen anything of particular value come from Ubisoft in a while but this caught my interest.

If they mess it up with always on DRM or some stupid activation limit system then I won't buy it, it's that simple.

This looks super rad.

Some somewhat overcritical nitpicks:

Street not that busy -> dick with traffic lights -> SUDDENLY 15 CARS IN 3 SECONDS OH FUCK OH SHIT

People hanging out right fucking next to the crime scene 3 seconds after it happened. Holy shit did you not just hear the hail of gunfire, ENORMOUS FUCKING EXPLOSION, and see the dead bodies everywhere?

White people in horror movies... amiright??? :D "What is that scary noise in my house that I am all alone in? let me find a flashlight and follow that shadow downstairs to the even creepier basement and not call the cops or anything!"

Just watched the 9min gameplay video... I'm a fan. This looks like a lot of freaking fun. I'm going to save $5 every two weeks till this comes out.

I'm getting it for the Sega Game Gear.
Make sure you buy a sack of batteries. =)

Just watched the 9min gameplay video... I'm a fan. This looks like a lot of freaking fun. I'm going to save $5 every two weeks till this comes out.

Make sure you buy a sack of batteries. =)

Do you keep it all in a sock under your bed too? :D

I've got a massive erection for this game. I love cyberpunk. I live in Chicago. I definitely need to play this.

I've got a massive erection for this game. I love cyberpunk. I live in Chicago. I definitely need to play this.

Is this cyberpunk? From what we've seen so far it doesn't really look like it.

Yeah, I'd say it's cyberpunk. Perhaps you're thinking of steampunk?

When Cyberpunk is mentioned people usually think of Blade Runner. Blade Runner this is not, but the cyberpunk setting is open for interpretation.

Cyberpunk I think of Shadowrun, DX:HR maybe (to some extent), Blade Runner...that kinda thing.

This just kind of looks like near-future Big Brother type modern day.

The game does indeed pertain to the Cyberpunk genre with high tech and hacking themes. But I would not actually describe the game as such with the elements shown thus far as it lacks other elements.

Its pretty and it looks interesting, ubisoft is a bit of a turn off but if the game gets a good review I will probably get it. The most impressive bit about this is how well they did creating a virtual chicago, I'm pretty sure that's an actual recreation of an intersection near the University I went to aside from a few very subtle differences. Hopefully, it will be better than deus ex.

It looks pretty cool and it reminds me a lot of Deus Ex. We do not have enough information on the game yet to conclude if it is going to keep up with something like GTAV yet. Especially when we haven't even seen gameplay footage of GTAV yet. They say this is open world but we do not even know how big that world is, or if there will be loading zones to different sections. We have only seen one small mission and it looks a bit scripted, most missions will be to an extent though. I would like to see some gameplay from a non mission stand point. Then I would be able to make the decision on whether or not it is going to be near the likes of a GTA killer.

Watch Dog's second character was another player: "online is in the DNA of Watchdogs"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/w...her-player-online-is-in-the-dna-of-watchdogs/

Watch Dog's second character was another player: "online is in the DNA of Watchdogs"
Tom Senior at 11:25pm June 6 2012

Watch Dogs exploded out of nowhere earlier on Monday, impressing us with its slick portrayal of cyber-crime and assassination in an always-online Chicago. The Ubisoft press conference demo left everyone with questions about the final few moments. In a scene that doesn't appear in the demo footage that Ubisoft have since released, the camera pulled back from the action and started following a different person entirely. Was it the same player taking charge of another character, or a second player controlling their own avatar in the same city?

It was a second player. VG247 have spoken to him. His name is Dominic Guay, executive producer on the game. "Online is in the DNA of Watchdogs," he said. "It's super important to us. We couldn't announce our game and not at least tease online."

"Basically, Jonathan, our creative director was playing agent Pearce at the conference, and I was playing another character, who hacked into him, who had his own objective and we crossed paths. It was basically two players who crossed paths with their own objectives."

In the conference demo, the character that Guay was playing watched the carnage that Jonathan was causing from afar. After apparently scanning Johnathan's brain, he turned and vaulted over some rooftops in a different direction entirely, it sounds now as though he was pursuing an entirely different mission in the same city.

It's a situation that doesn't fit neatly into your traditional "co-op" and "competitive" multiplayer pigeon holes, but the idea of players interacting through co-incidence and experiencing the collateral damage of each other's independent objectives is intriguing.

"We definitely want to blend in multiplayer online and singleplayer in ways that haven't been done before," says Guay. We'll be hunting down more info on Watch Dogs as E3 progresses. Meanwhile, here's the Watch Dogs demo, albeit without that multiplayer tease that Ubisoft threw into their live presentation at the end of Monday's conference.

Ubi Montreal seems to be drawing from a lot of sources for inspiration.

I finally got around to watching the video too. Looks fucking amazing.

Someone else said it right--at the beginning, i was like "oh 9 min video?" but by the end i was sad it was over so soon.

It's like a blend between DX:HR, GTA, Max Payne, and Hitman.

Can't wait to play it!

Back