Total War: Rome 2

What about the time you need to wait each turn. I don't play this game.

its to long im 120 tuns in whit it installed to my ssd and it takes 30 secs to 1 mim a turn and the ai keeps atacking your towns whit army's it has no chance of wining whit so you have to auto resolve a lot of fights a tuns for a few tuns after you cap the last town of and ai

its killing the game play when it takes longer to wait for the ai then it does to plan some turns. it was fine in till about turn 50 or so then stated noticing it takes a while each turn

clicking bug is still there, how dare I click on stuff that it prompts me? :(

Games quite good but nowhere near what i was hoping for. The ai is a mess, the ui is awful, default camera zoom is too limiting, no family tree, poor city management, tax control sucks, interactions with other countries is quite limited and the textures and effects are poor even on the laughable extreme settings etc.

On the plus side it is fun to play, iv experienced no crashes and with a few mods from THIS site it has definitely improved things.

if you want an unapologetic review this one is for you.

I agree with a lot of what he said, just not very familiar with his style. I mostly agree with the battles ending so fast, giving you no time to sit back and enjoy watching the fights, and how incompetent the AI is during battle and campaign. This is the first Total War game I wish I had not bought early before seeing what people thought. If I could, I would reinstall Medieval Total War 2 Stainless Steel and skip this game.

Also, the game CA was showing during those previews looks nothing like what we got... that was very deceiving, shame on them.

i didn't buy it but a lot of that footage is the best comedy i've seen in a while. i've heard people defend CA by saying that every other release was bug ridden - there's that saying out there "fool me once shame on you... ..." that is fitting.

in the end though i think CA has flogged the dead total war horse one too many times - it really is getting to be like madden where it's the same pig with a different shade of lipstick on.

This company keeps release the same shitty RTS games.. every year or 2.. When will people learn..

Shogun 2 was pretty damn good, too.

Shogun 2 was a FANTASTIC game and one of my favorite RTS games to date.

Rome 2 is NOT a good example of CA's abilities. I wish they didn't mess this game up as bad as they did!

i couldnt get into shogun 2, not a fan of the samurai era just couldnt bring my self to like it, but i love rome 2 so far.

Shogun 2 at release was almost this bad. I have faith that Rome 2 will be salvaged

No it wasn't.

This game is more in line with how Empire was at release with it's broken AI.

Even then at least in empire they used formations/lines.

The utter "blob" madness of fighting just ruins the whole thing for me.

I want a game where formations matter and the AI actually uses them.

In a game about Rome most people want/expect to see good formation fighting and disciplined troops.

I just tried a naval battle, and OMG. I think I will shelf this game until a major update comes out. Bugs aside the game seems like it will be nice in a year or so, but one thing that bothered me is that there was DLC on launch day for a game that is not nearly complete.

Love this game

Run it on something other than extreme and you'll be ok

I heard that people whined about the filter in the previews so it was taken out. There are SweetFX mods that put something like it with other tweaks in and from brief glance at screenshots it looks amazing

Otherwise Rome's vanilla battlefield does look a bit like it's just a high resolution version of medieval 2

Last edited:
Run it on something other than extreme and you'll be ok

i don't know about that. a friend has constant intermittent slow downs even running on medium or high with shadows turned down... with a decent machine - 4670/16gb/2gb 6950

bugs aside, there is the performance issues. both aside, there is the fact that the devs claimed to have had a 40% larger budget than they have ever had and released this... hyping and promoting one thing and releasing something far different. but there is always the faithful brand loyalists... who maybe because they are so faithful buying buggy releases time and again, the companies take their audience for granted and do something like this.

i don't know about that. a friend has constant intermittent slow downs even running on medium or high with shadows turned down... with a decent machine - 4670/16gb/2gb 6950

bugs aside, there is the performance issues. both aside, there is the fact that the devs claimed to have had a 40% larger budget than they have ever had and released this... hyping and promoting one thing and releasing something far different. but there is always the faithful brand loyalists... who maybe because they are so faithful buying buggy releases time and again, the companies take their audience for granted and do something like this.

6950 is a weak card

Especially for something like Total War, where I went Nvidia specifically after reviewing Shogun (and BF3) benchmarks. 660 Ti goes from ~40% faster than a 6950 to 100% faster inTW's Warscape engine

Last edited:
6950 is a weak card

Especially for something like Total War, where I went Nvidia specifically after reviewing Shogun (and BF3) benchmarks. 660 Ti goes from ~40% faster than a 6950 to 100% faster inTW's Warscape engine

i'd be careful to judge any hardware based on this piece of shit engine... at least in its current state... and especially when the devs had claimed the engine scaled well with hardware. 6950 is getting old though.

Guys I want to reinstall windows, but don't want to lose my game saves. Any thoughts on what I can do?

I have two ssds, the one with Windows has Rome installed on it too.

Guys I want to reinstall windows, but don't want to lose my game saves. Any thoughts on what I can do?

I have two ssds, the one with Windows has Rome installed on it too.

Your saves are stored in your %Users%\<username>\AppData\Roaming\TheCreativeAssembly\Rome2 directory

Your saves are stored in your %Users%\<username>\AppData\Roaming\TheCreativeAssembly\Rome2 directory

Is it just as simple as copying the save files and then putting them back once I have everything re-installed?

Is it just as simple as copying the save files and then putting them back once I have everything re-installed?

That's how it was with Empire for me.

I don't know how Rome 2 is, but Empire had some massive fucking save games(I think my folder was about 7gb of just saves)

After playing this for quite a bit of time, I'm going to stop playing for a while until it is fixed. The game is great but the crashes and buggy AI detract from the fun. Im thinking after a year or so, the patches and mods will make it one of the best TW games.

After playing this for quite a bit of time, I'm going to stop playing for a while until it is fixed. The game is great but the crashes and buggy AI detract from the fun. Im thinking after a year or so, the patches and mods will make it one of the best TW games.

This is pretty much how I feel. Great game, great potential ruined by shitty coding.

Yeah I also shelved this game, I am waiting for them to fix the battles and how the AI doesn't actually use good tactics and the units beome a giant "blob" of fighting instead of using formations, that's kind of a big point for tactical combat, especially regarding Romans.

i'm a huge fan of the 'Total War' series. my personal favourite is the original Rome followed by by 'Medieval II'. used so many mods on those 2 games alone, i've forgotten the number. Shogun 2 was decent tho imho the time period and japan didn't really grab me. Empire was a little boring, firearms just isn’t that well suited for the 'Total War' engine.

i didn't buy Rome 2 on release day as i was hoping to see what the reviews thought. saw a cheap deal going last week and i couldn't resist... i really wish i did now. in short, Creative Assembly made a mess of it.

i've probably logged 20-30hrs in game and played most of the available factions. i really wanted to give Rome 2 a go in the hope it grew on me. frankly i'm just bored. aside from the bugs (long turn times, cruddy AI, click bug, crashes, etc), the list of shit wrong with this game is immense.

the campaign map - its fucked. the nicest thing i can say about it is it's pretty. for starters, the UI is a mess. in CA's effort to 'streamline' the interface, all they've done is butcher the soul of the game. on paper the province system (1 capital and up to 3 minor towns per province) sounds like a good idea, in practice is sucks. you are extremely limited to what you can and cannot build in each of your cities (up to 6 buildings per capital, up to 4 for the minor towns). the building limitation (carried over from empire and shogun) wouldn't be so bad if it was clear what each building does. you have to constantly open the encyclopaedia to work out what the final set of buildings provide then work your way backwards. what makes it even more confusing is that most of the structures work on a tree system. to compound the problem further, the various factions switch around the functions of what the various building provide (barbarian structures work very differently than Latin or Hellenic buildings). unlike in the original Rome, the unit and buff producing building were all standardised. barracks produced melee units, inns for your spies, town halls for your civic management & happiness etc. Rome 2 in this regard is a complete clusterfuck. on a side note, in order to view the thumbnails/icons for the various units/building in the encyclopaedia, you must be online. if you’re offline, all the pics are missing. also many of the entries are missing stats or info. for example the building info is missing the unit it produces in the pop-up bubble.

the overall UI for managing your cities is a horrid mess, everything is a pop-up menu that's easy to click off so you’re wasting a ton of time just trying to correctly select stuff. the HUD in the campaign map is tiny where-as in the battle map, it's huge. clearly CA were confused when designing this as it should have been the other way around. moving on to the unit cards, yeah they're ugly and at a glance its difficult to tell the units apart due to the art style. the click bug should also be mentioned. it's bad enough that the UI is so schizophrenic (various stats and info hidden under the retarded pop-up menus) but clicking on things on the map (units & cities) doesn't always select the item. a minor issue but it bugs me, you can’t click and drag your way around the map. you either must use the WASD or move the mouse to the edge of screen to move about. however you can click and drag around the diplomatic and 'tab' maps. its seems it would be a natural UI feature especially combined with the map rotate (Q & E keys) feature.
overall the the campaign map UI lack lacks any form of unity, clarity or intuitiveness. it's like the Win8 UI team & the CA devs went out together one night and got shitfaced and Rome 2 was the bastard love child of that coupling.

the unit management in the campaign map is also crap. you can only recruit 3-4 units per turn per province (2 to 4 cities per province). also you can only recruit if a general is present. another unit limitation is you can only have 3, 6, 9 or 12 generals at any one time. you increase the number of generals you have by improving your empires ''gravitas'' (done thru fighting battles and conquering new territory). a similar limitation is present for your spies, champions & dignitaries. for the most part all of your generals are disposable. if you lose one (dies in battle or old age) you automatically get assigned a new one. as each turn is 1 year, your generals and agents don't last that long before they keel-over. pretty frustrating all up when u spend 20+ turns to finally develop a decent unit and they fucking die on you when they're in their prime. in the end you just don't give a shit about your generals or agents because they don't stick around very long so why bother getting attached to them.

you technically have a family or dynasty but again you don't really give a shit b/c there's no family tree like in 'Rome I' and again you're limited to where ever your 'gravitas' is (3, 6, 9 or 12 generals). in fact the entire factions/summary screen is a pointless waste of time as its really at best an after-thought in the way its presented.

diplomacy isn't terrible, tho far from great either. you cant trade cities for one thing.

the battle map
this area isn’t as nearly retarded as the campaign map tho there are still issues. again beside the dodgy AI and the resulting 'blob battles' here's a list of things that bugged me;
-just like on the campaign map, green bars are used in place of numerals for a units health/remaining men & the power bar. these bars are great but the accompanied number also needs to be stated to be meaningful.
-routing troops aren't highlighted. makes it incredibly difficult to find when your mopping up.
-using cavalry or other fast troops to mop up routing enemies is tedious. takes forever to do plus men from routing unit fragment all over the map often glitching the perusing unit in the cleanup.
-after battle summary need a confirmation button to proceed back to campaign map rather than just being a wallpaper for load screen.
-the 'after battle summary' is missing some info like which unit received a promotion in that particular battle and again the units only show a bar rather than numbers (men remaining). the only stat present is the number of units a particular unit killed during battle.
-in some battles, enemy units bug out and aren't selectable to attack.

i know i'm missing a few things in my rant, there are just soooo many problems with this game. not sure i want to dig up more dirt on Rome 2, too damn depressing.
some of these issues will no doubt be sorted in future patches but the core of the game, in my opinion, is almost beyond repair. if you're still on the fence regarding purchase, wait at least a month or two. frankly the only way i see Rome 2 being redeemed is via an expansion pack, even then it might be iffy.

was wondering how much the new update helped?

It seems it's mostly for stability issues, which I've had none of. There are very few tweaks to aimed at improving campaign AI, and practically nothing for tactical AI.

The modding community is actually doing better in terms of tangible gameplay changes than the developers. Lines of Battle is a pretty solid combat mod that's done wonders for unit cohesion and ensuring battles last longer than 2 minutes:

54D09D220DDA8DFF4F4C318ACF37981E03172079

Most likely, that's how every Total War game before Rome 2 has worked for me.

My take from the apology letter from the head guy at CA put out was that there was no mention of AI fixes. I'm guessing that comes later, if at all. I'm thinking that they don't know how to fix it but that's because I'm cynical of their abilities as programmers. We'll see though. They have had better AIs from previous games. Anyhow the patch notes don't mention AI fixes so don't expect any in this patch.

My take from the apology letter from the head guy at CA put out was that there was no mention of AI fixes. I'm guessing that comes later, if at all. I'm thinking that they don't know how to fix it but that's because I'm cynical of their abilities as programmers. We'll see though. They have had better AIs from previous games. Anyhow the patch notes don't mention AI fixes so don't expect any in this patch.

Jack Lusted, former TW modder gone CA developer, has posted a much more detailed agenda where battle AI is mentioned.

Last edited:
Back