• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Total War: Rome 2

Guess I'll wait for the Steam Winter Sale to reconsider Rome 2. Sounds like I can skip a lot of gripes and not have to deal with all the patching and changes if I just wait it out.
 
Guess I'll wait for the Steam Winter Sale to reconsider Rome 2. Sounds like I can skip a lot of gripes and not have to deal with all the patching and changes if I just wait it out.

+1

Was my plan all along.

Rome 1 is a better game still.
 
I wish my son had waited, he actually bought us both copies, because he is a TW fanatic and it makes me cry purple koolaid because of it. At any rate, beta 3 patch dramatically helped the turn times in multiplayer by a lot. It still shows every AI navy turn though for some reason, which slows things down, but other than that, its almost playable. Still far from good and bug free, but pretty close to playable.
 
I hope something can be done about the UI. I don't know what they were thinking and I miss seeing the number of troops in each unit.

There are so many little things here and there that completely puzzle me about this game. It's starting to feel as if CA acknowledges their role as an engine developing team and lets the modding community tackle the gamey stuff.
 
I hope something can be done about the UI. I don't know what they were thinking and I miss seeing the number of troops in each unit.

There are so many little things here and there that completely puzzle me about this game. It's starting to feel as if CA acknowledges their role as an engine developing team and lets the modding community tackle the gamey stuff.

I'm not sure I agree with the complaints about the UI. I find that it flows nicely without monopolizing so much screen space a la Rome 1 and Medieval 2. During large battles, yes it gets in the way, but I dig the modular style (I can minimize anything and everything on the fly). Although I would appreciate having a men count for the unit cards, the "health bar" at the bottom of the card communicates the same thing at a glance so I really don't miss it.

Anyhow, I started playing more and more now that the game is feeling a bit tighter with mods and patches. Just over 20 hours on my first campaign when I ran into my first major glitch. During a siege defense battle, my reinforcing legionary marines had no problem entering my city from one gate, but when I attempted to sally out (due to passive AI), they refused to use the front door and preferred to use the same door they came in on... on the opposite side of town. Amazingly stupid path finding. I decided to forfeit, reload, and auto-calc the battle instead.
 
The UI is gigantic compared to Shogun 2.

literally it can take up over 40% of your screen space in a large battle and that to me is just piss poor design, especially when you offered a "minimal" ui in the past (like in empire) and shogun 2's default UI was in itself minimal so there was no nee dfor htat option.

However Rome 2 took it 3 steps back.

Not only is it gigantic but they bury important information behind clicks instead of providing it nice and simple. Like the tech tree for example, why not just one simple button press to bring it up? A la The CIv series, show the entire tech tree, allow you to queue up build orders by clicking on something much later on down the tech line if that's where you want to end up like you can in Civ.

Then there's the Assassins and the whole mess with their skills/abilties and all that stuff.

Also why'd they take out the whole cinematic movies for your agents? I loved that part, getting to watch little movies to see how your agent did, some of which were quite humorous depending on how things went.
 
Does the UI not scale with resolution? I know this is something I could easily investigate myself, but at 2560 x 1600 I don't find the UI obnoxious at all.

The patches are slowly helping the gameplay. I've only had two crashes in over 30 hours, both after beta patch 3 (one on exiting the game, one as I ended a turn), so I feel relatively fortunate. :D
 
Are there any Rome 2 modders in here? I'm working on a mod to increase Turns Per Year (TPY) from 1TPY, to 2TPY or 4TPY. However, this has implications on game balance, so I'd also like to modify character and troop movement in such a way that it's consistent with TPY (e.g. going from 1TPY to 2TPY, and army should only be able to cover half the ground in 2TPY than they did in vanilla).

I'm hoping to pick some of your brains since totalwarcenter.net crawls during the day.
 
So since the lack of family management is such a fail.. has anyone been prompted with a marriage proposal for your generals? Or if so, have your generals ever had sons? I'm about 80 turns into my campaign, I haven't had a single general married (doing it wrong?).
 
So since the lack of family management is such a fail.. has anyone been prompted with a marriage proposal for your generals? Or if so, have your generals ever had sons? I'm about 80 turns into my campaign, I haven't had a single general married (doing it wrong?).

Perhaps all your generals are gay? :p
 
So since the lack of family management is such a fail.. has anyone been prompted with a marriage proposal for your generals? Or if so, have your generals ever had sons? I'm about 80 turns into my campaign, I haven't had a single general married (doing it wrong?).

So it sounds like this is one of the buggiest Total Wars yet...is this a hold for several patches?
 
So since the lack of family management is such a fail.. has anyone been prompted with a marriage proposal for your generals? Or if so, have your generals ever had sons? I'm about 80 turns into my campaign, I haven't had a single general married (doing it wrong?).

I've never had a marriage proposal for one of my generals, but I have arranged a few marriages. I'm not really sure what good it does, though. :eek:

It appears as an option along with the spread rumors button, assassinate, adopt, etc.
 
How is that possible? My generals die of old age around 40 to 50 turns or so. Don't your generals die of old age waaayy too fast?
 
So it sounds like this is one of the buggiest Total Wars yet...is this a hold for several patches?

I'm playing with Patch 3 Beta and so far have managed to have a very successful Spartan Campaign.

The only bugs I've found so far (about 40+ turns in) are the sieging bugs where one of my siege engines got caught in an olive tree field and just bounced around unable to find it's way to the walls, and a section of the Athens wall was completely un-siegable by my heavy siege towers.

Other than those two problems, I'm finally enjoying it.
 
How is that possible? My generals die of old age around 40 to 50 turns or so. Don't your generals die of old age waaayy too fast?

Assuming they don't become a general until twenty-something years old, and each turn is one year, them keeling over at age sixty or seventy isn't too bad. At least you get a new one right away to replace the deceased!

I do think that they need to increase the rate at which legions get permanent upgrades to compensate, however. Generals level up incredibly quick (as they should, life is short!), but the legions seem to take forever.
 
Perhaps all your generals are gay? :p

:D:D:D:D

So I asked because I was trying to mod the birth rate and marriage proposal rates since I found remnants of their attributes in the campaign_variables table. Turns out these variables were left over from perhaps Shogun 2 which actually used them, because even when jacked up to 100% likelihood of marriage/child birth, nothing happens in-game.

lol.

Just no.

Empire was by far the worst. People here have a short memory.

This.

ETW was the first TW title that really rattled my confidence in CA. I tried to push through the crashing and the awkwardness of it all, but threw in my cards. I heard Napoleon was actually pretty good, but it was too close to ETW, so I skipped it entirely. I even tried ETW after playing Shogun 2 for hundreds of hours, and still couldn't get into it. RTW wasn't nearly as bad as ETW at launch, or nearly as awkward in its current patchy state.
 
Last edited:
I finally got around to installing this game on my HTPC which is hooked up to a pretty standard 1080p television. Having done so, I must apologize for saying the UI isn't annoying! For whatever reason, the game doesn't scale the UI, so when I play at 2560x1600 it is the perfect size.

At 1920x1080, it is HUGE!!! Maybe they developed the game on 27 or 30 inch monitors, I really don't know.

I can't imagine how bad it would be at lower resolutions. Thank goodness I splurged on a U3011 a few years ago...
 
how do you download the beta patches? I am asked for some sort of authorization code on steam when I try and download patch 3 :/
 
how do you download the beta patches? I am asked for some sort of authorization code on steam when I try and download patch 3 :/

Right above the field where you type an authorization code for private betas is a drop down menu. There's only two options on it, something like "none" and "beta patch 3." Just select the bottom one in the menu by clicking it. That's all you have to do.
 
Right above the field where you type an authorization code for private betas is a drop down menu. There's only two options on it, something like "none" and "beta patch 3." Just select the bottom one in the menu by clicking it. That's all you have to do.

For some reason, that dropdown menu in the BETAS tab is sometimes unresponsive. I had to close my properties window a few times before I could actually click the dropdown.
 
No SLI support yet. There is no SLI profile and NVidia won't release one until changes are made to the game engine. Campaign map is running smoother with the patches than at release but still isn't great. I'm very disappointed with the game and wish I hadn't preordered. Peak users on steam went from over 115k at launch to barely over 30k.

I know people will say I told you so to preordering. But Shogun 2 was nowhere near as bad and was way more polished.
 
No SLI support yet. There is no SLI profile and NVidia won't release one until changes are made to the game engine. Campaign map is running smoother with the patches than at release but still isn't great. I'm very disappointed with the game and wish I hadn't preordered. Peak users on steam went from over 115k at launch to barely over 30k.

I know people will say I told you so to preordering. But Shogun 2 was nowhere near as bad and was way more polished.

I dont blame them for the steep drop, I myself might be stolen away by GTA soon :p
 
Have they fixed the stupid AI behavior of it running for flags meanwhile IGNORING your armies?

HAve they fixed the inability for you to keep your phalanx formation when attacking? (IE when you attack it charges your phalanx and thus they go out of formation).
 
People shelled out $60 for a beta game.

I didn't, I got it for $43. :D



Rome campaign: Squalor's being a big problem now. It seems I overreacted to my second food shortage...LOL


I started a Parthian campaign as well. And even the easy campaign difficulty feels just like a superficial reduction of penalties as the starting really is 'Hard'.
 
I didn't, I got it for $43. :D



Rome campaign: Squalor's being a big problem now. It seems I overreacted to my second food shortage...LOL


I started a Parthian campaign as well. And even the easy campaign difficulty feels just like a superficial reduction of penalties as the starting really is 'Hard'.

I'm doing a parthian campaign on very hard, pretty much dominating at this point. Key is to go north and not worry about the selucids and their satrapes until much later
 
Have they fixed the stupid AI behavior of it running for flags meanwhile IGNORING your armies?

HAve they fixed the inability for you to keep your phalanx formation when attacking? (IE when you attack it charges your phalanx and thus they go out of formation).

Only short-spear units (hoplites) will go out of phalanx when you order an attack. This is intended as they don't have pikes and are better off converging around a unit (which is what they do) if you attack.

If you'd like a wall of hoplites to stay in phalanx while moving on an enemy just order them to move in phalanx beyond where the enemy is and then they'll do that.

Pikeman on the other hand will always stay in phalanx when you enable it. This makes sense as they have the reach with their pikes.
 
Back
Top