Total War: Rome 2

:D:D:D:D

So I asked because I was trying to mod the birth rate and marriage proposal rates since I found remnants of their attributes in the campaign_variables table. Turns out these variables were left over from perhaps Shogun 2 which actually used them, because even when jacked up to 100% likelihood of marriage/child birth, nothing happens in-game.

This.

ETW was the first TW title that really rattled my confidence in CA. I tried to push through the crashing and the awkwardness of it all, but threw in my cards. I heard Napoleon was actually pretty good, but it was too close to ETW, so I skipped it entirely. I even tried ETW after playing Shogun 2 for hundreds of hours, and still couldn't get into it. RTW wasn't nearly as bad as ETW at launch, or nearly as awkward in its current patchy state.

Exactly. Empire wasn't even playable for most users at release. It was an abomination. After 3 months of constant patching it was decent though.

This game (Rome 2) is already good-to-go with Patch 4. They fixed most of the crashing/performance issues. Campaign turn time was vastly improved. AI is noticeably smarter as of patch 4 now.

There are still a lot of small issues, but it's very playable and easy to enjoy as of patch 4 now.

I'm doing a parthian campaign on very hard, pretty much dominating at this point. Key is to go north and not worry about the selucids and their satrapes until much later

Parthava went insane and declared war against all of its neighbors except me. So I declared war on them and curbstomped them LOL.

Baktria only have 1 region now, while I've pushed back the nomads from the north away from Nisa. Once I've dealt with the Hellenics (Baktria), the nomads are next. :p

This game is a joke and pos compared to previous version ... simple as that it's junk

As someone who has invested hundreds of hours into *every* Total War game, and already 70 hours into this one - No. I find your opinion to be wrong. It is superior in many ways.

Parthia has expanded quite nicely. Armenia and Pontus are my neighbors to the NW. Getting ready for a showdown with the remaining Seleucid satrapies now (Persia, Media, Aria, etc.).

As someone who has invested hundreds of hours into *every* Total War game, and already 70 hours into this one - No. I find your opinion to be wrong. It is superior in many ways.

how? by taking good features away? :rolleyes:

^ +1

To me even as of beta patch 4 it feels as if playing a beta/unfinished game

how? by taking good features away? :rolleyes:

There's considerable "give and take" between RTW and R2TW. Overall, as nice as the new features are (e.g. combined land/naval battles, defensive traps, army/agent stances, army experience, unit upgrades, auxiliary system, unit variation, military tribune, etc.), they fail to overshadow the absence of key total war features (e.g. family tree, seasons, population, walled minor provinces, etc.). That's not to say I don't enjoy Rome 2 immensely, it will simply never live up to the expectations established by the first.

There's considerable "give and take" between RTW and R2TW. Overall, as nice as the new features are (e.g. combined land/naval battles, defensive traps, army/agent stances, army experience, unit upgrades, auxiliary system, unit variation, military tribune, etc.), they fail to overshadow the absence of key total war features (e.g. family tree, seasons, population, walled minor provinces, etc.). That's not to say I don't enjoy Rome 2 immensely, it will simply never live up to the expectations established by the first.

if they give back what they taken or someone mods it back in, i'll be happy.

is it possible to mod it features back in?

There are actually seasons, just not in the traditional turn format since each turn is a year.

When you choose to fight a battle on the map take note of the weather conditions on that particular location on the campaign map, among other things. As when the actual battle loads those conditions are reflected in those battles.

So instead of the way it was before where you had seasons that would outright change the battlemaps - You've got random/roaming weather conditions that move throughout the campaign map that then change conditions.

Also, I don't think people realize this but every battle you play is a new randomly generated map. There aren't 'pre-set' battle maps like in the first game. You can see how this works by hosting a multiplayer battle and then selecting the battlefield you want to play on.

I do agree that there should be walled minor settlements. My guess is that this will be added with a later patch or DLC. Hopefully not a paid DLC.

In all I enjoy this game far more then Rome. Coupled with the fact that you can play a coop/vs campaign with a friend - The first game is dead for me now.

My only serious area of complaint is the family tree. This was dumbed down far too much. This isn't a deal breaker, however.

Updated my mod today to include larger garrisons. I got sick of being denied my Punic Wars because Carthage would get annihilated within the first 20 turns. My solution was to beef up major city garrisons; as cities upgrade, you'll see the garrison grow by up to 2x their original size. Roman major cities only see a little love in the form of a few additional Rorarii.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...aign-amp-Larger-Garrisons-(updated-10-10-2013

How is the modding of the game? Easier than? Harder than? Or about the same as the original RTW? Just curious.

I did a bit of modding in Rome 1, but nothing that I could share with the public (because I converted S.P.Q.R., and their authors would not allow me to release my work). From what I remember, modding Rome 1 was all about digging through walls of text in the various descr_this_and_that.txt text files, hunting down variables and cross-referencing them with other text files. Not sure if it was because I was an amateur, or there weren’t that many modding tools at the time.

By comparison, Rome 2’s modding community has come up with some invaluable modding tools, and their seemingly limitless and documented knowledge with the warscape engine has made modding easy to newcomers (like me). With Rome 2, if you’re familiar with even rudimentary database design and logic, you’ll quickly understand how the tables work and how the junctions (e.g. intersection tables) come into play.

If there is still any interest, you can pickup some free factions in a DLC that is available on the Steam page. I believe it is only free for this week.

Any word on if creative assembly has fixed sli support?

No and it's looking unlikely that they ever will. They have shifted away almost completely from making any performance improvements and are almost strictly on gameplay improvements.

I noticed performance is much improved now, but there are still some glaring issues that CA has ignored since launch.

At launch I was getting miserable performance in the benchmark. Now with adaptive v-sync on I get around 59 average.

But in some naval battles when it's raining I literally get 1/4 of a frame per second. It's a known bug that's been around since launch that they've done nothing to address.

I'd say figure out where in the game files is the rain setting and change (mod) that to zero or off. TW games have always had too much rain going on in battles. If it rained as much in the desert as I have seen in past games then the deserts would be lush tropicals.

The Parthian Empire is beginning to consolidate the east of the map now. I've finally conquered the rest of Arabia, as well as the steppes up north, plus Crimea and almost the whole of Anatolia.

Seleucids, I was merciful before, just stopping short of Antioch...but now, you will be conquered.

Besides the Seleucids, Rome and Macedon seems to be my rivals (among those that I can see; none of my spies have reached Germany yet - the nearest one is in the Balkans, while another is in North Africa and still en route to Iberia). Rome focused on North Africa and of course Italy, while Macedon went north, into the Balkans, and had most of the Greek states as client states.

This game is fucked with the R 290x. I get teen fps once the combat starts, 60 fps otherwise.

It's like that on every card. With very large battles no matter what graphic quality setting things get choppy. It looks like the AI is very poorly optimized.

I didn't have as much of an issue with my old gtx 580 and I'm also running an i5 2500k at 4.5.

So, what is the consensus on the game in the current state? Still not worth it to buy or is it decent now?

I've played since the first Rome and only skipped Shogun(The era/location does not interest me at all) and enjoyed all of them. I did not buy any of them day one, I actually bought all of them when they were on sale ~2 years ago I think.

It's patched enough to be passable. I would suggest waiting for a sale where it is under $40. It would have been nice if they would have spent more time with QA/QC on this. To me Creative Assembly's reputation took a hit, and it wasn't great to begin with.

Finally beat my first go around a week ago with parthia :)

Going to give it a run with the selucid fsction next but I'll wait a bit til the game can handle my new crossfire setup

Finally beat my first go around a week ago with parthia :)

Going to give it a run with the selucid fsction next but I'll wait a bit til the game can handle my new crossfire setup

I've also put the game on hold until they get SLI working.

Hopefully they get SLI working!!

It's patched enough to be passable. I would suggest waiting for a sale where it is under $40. It would have been nice if they would have spent more time with QA/QC on this. To me Creative Assembly's reputation took a hit, and it wasn't great to begin with.

Their QA/QC has always been poor. That is why nearly all their games require patches at launch. The exception may be Shogun 2. Havent played it but I heard they did a decent job on it. Still, CA is well known for pushing their games out with many bugs. It looks though like Rome 2 is going to be known for being the worse. So far.

The beta for patch 7 is ready. I'm excited to see they've finally addressed siege AI:

Known Issues
  • The objectives panel will show placeholder text for Ultimate Objectives and Chapter Objectives after opening another UI panel (e.g. selecting a unit, clicking Trade etc.

Global
  • Performance – Unit rendering performance on high spec gpu’s has been optimised, resulting in higher frame rates on EXTREME settings in most scenarios.
  • Extensive Frontend-UI tweaks and optimisations.

Battle AI improvements
  • Attacking siege AI now uses battering rams more frequently.
  • Attacking siege AI can now use all units to burn gates, and should not become inactive if it has only non-infantry units remaining.
  • Attacking AI is now more conservative with the use of its general when assaulting walls and gates, but can still use the general unit as a last resort.
  • Added safeguards against some rare issues which could cause the attacking settlement AI to become idle.
  • Fixed an issue in settlement AI which could result in units losing their attack orders, causing units to sometimes run past enemy units they were trying to attack, as well as causing defending missile units on walls to halt their firing orders.
  • Improved AI’s use of Use The Whip and Rapid Advance.
  • AI now targets war-dogs rather than their handlers after dogs have been released.
  • Eliminated unnecessary reforms in AI’s defence-line tactics.
  • Improved AI scouting behaviour.

Unit rebalancing
  • Increased damage for club weapons.
  • Increased melee defence for pike units.
  • Rebalance of all small-arm projectile damage:
  • Javelins have received a boost to their armour penetration damage.
  • All horse archers (incl. Royal Horse Archers) now have Heavy Shot.
  • Some elite foot archers now also have access to Heavy Shot.
  • Different types of bows now have different ranges.
  • All bows now have some armour penetration.
  • Rebalanced the following units:
    Naked warriors
    Ambushers
    Berserkers
    Painted ones
    Naked swords​
  • Some missile infantry shields have had their missile block chance increased.
  • Tower projectile incendiary damage has been reduced.
  • Burning oil incendiary damage has been reduced.
  • Improved arrow tower damage has been reduced, and is now mostly normal damage instead of armour penetration.
  • Scorpion tower projectiles now have a smaller cone of effect.
  • Reduced incendiary hit points on all siege vehicles apart from burning rams which have both incendiary and normal hit points increased.
  • Removed shield wall ability from Falxmen, Thracian Warriors and Thracian Nobles.

General battle improvements
  • Increased battle-side hit points of all generals and officers.
  • Fixed issue in battle combat rules which failed to give the commanding general additional saving throws, making generals unusually vulnerable in harder difficulty modes. These saving throws have also been extended to non-commanding generals, making all general characters harder to kill in battles.
  • Fixed issue which caused artillery units to sometimes move forwards instead of firing when targeting a ground position.
  • Formed Attack button added for key disciplined units (eg Legionaries, Hoplites, Pikemen). Disciplined units are now better at keeping formation when fighting.
  • Improved existing unit formations.
  • Reduced “blobbing”, where units converge into a disorganised brawl
  • *Adjusted spacing of some infantry units to prevent units being too cramped.
  • Added blood effects on animals, for players who own the Blood & Gore DLC.
  • Fixed an issue where pikemen would ignore orders.
  • Fixed rank & file shortcuts which were not working correctly; and only ever resulted in wider units.
  • Telestration (drawing on the map) now works for spectators in MP battles.
  • Fixed issue where throwing torches at gates failed due to projectile simulation causing torches to bounce off the roof of the gatehouse instead of hitting the gate itself.
  • New guard mode mechanic: units will be in guard mode behaviour by default and hold their line unless they have a direct attack order.
  • Several improvements to how formed attackers adjust to one or more targets, encompassing different target widths.
  • New hiding mechanic: running will no longer reveal hidden units.
  • Behaviour improvements for disengaging units: Units pulling out of melee will now try harder to avoid combat and run to the ordered location.
  • New mechanic for knocked-down soldiers: Heavier units will take longer to get up after being knocked down.
  • Fixes and improvements to bracing:
- Formation depth and defensive formations now have the correct impact on bracing bonus.
- No bracing bonus when using loose spacing.​
  • Elephant and chariot collisions are now less lethal.
  • Boiling oil no longer triggers when enemies are on top of a gatehouse.
  • Entities no longer warp in combat when two infantry units charge each other.
  • Avoidance-jittering eliminated when multiple units in formed attack overlap.
  • Prevented ships and drowning men from floating above the waterline in very rough seas.
  • Improved the framerate when multiple units pass under boiling oil.
  • Added option to disable left-click dragging move-orders.
  • Locked formation unit groups now correctly track moving targets when given attack orders.
  • Locked formation unit groups should now move at the correct speed in all circumstances.
  • Units now interweave less when moving a locked formation backwards.
  • Artillery units no longer move forwards to attack a building when their target is already in range.
  • Firing whilst moving now always fires at the target unit.
  • Reduced instances of ranged-unit stop/start movements when chasing a moving target.
  • Units no longer automatically attack their previous melee target after routing then rallying.
  • When gate capture points are neutralised, gates are now locked to all alliances and boiling oil stops pouring.
  • Units firing from walls can now be consistently halted.
  • Units firing from walls now fire with all ranks.
  • Rebalancing of entity/projectile/effect audio volumes.
  • Added new preset city and port maps to the custom battle/multiplayer map lists.
  • Removed situations where defenders could partially deploy units outside the city walls in siege battles.
  • Siege maps now have towers or gates linked to the correct capture points.
  • Changed capture point timer from 20 seconds to 30 seconds. Gates and towers now take 1 minute rather than 40 seconds to change from one alliance to another.
  • Added new minor settlements: 1x Persian port and city, 2x Egyptian cities, 1x Greek city.
  • Improved docking and landing points in several maps.
  • Added spectator icon for battle to make it clearer when people are spectating.
  • Cinematic camera now works correctly for units on buildings.
  • General technical/usability fixes across many battle maps (docking points, deployment zones, scenery placement, tower bridging-points etc).
  • Extensive battle-UI tweaks and optimisations.
  • Fixed several rare crash instances.
  • Aide de camp advisor has been enabled for multiplayer now.
  • Modified right click drag-outs, so when moving the mouse to the minimum drag threshold, and then back under the minimum drag threshold, the drag-out visualisation will no longer be hidden.

Campaign
  • Multiplayer campaign legendary mode saves now work correctly.
  • Campaign AI is now more focused on recruiting better units and constructing buildings that allow the recruitment of better units.
  • Increased number of Imperium thresholds from 4 to 7, rebalancing progression of military, agent and edict cap increases to match.
  • Campaign diplomacy: It’s now harder to sign trade & alliance treaties with AI factions, gifts now give a bigger boost to relations.
  • Added warning when the player is about to break treaty in Diplomacy which will result in player being treacherous.
  • Enemy/ally armies/agents are now shown on the Campaign Tactical map and not just players.
  • Fixed user interface animation issues in campaign, where in Multiplayer Campaign mode, animations would sometimes be in slow motion.
  • Added resource icons to the city info bar.
  • Added a small delay to update of the Settlement info panel, when moving the mouse off building icons to make easier to compare two buildings, without info panel flickering to province info in between.
  • Fixed setting for whether Unit info panel is shown in battle, which was being set incorrectly in campaign modes, leading to unit info panel being hidden in battle, without player ever minimising it.
  • Fixed campaign cycle buttons (which cycle between settlements) going in opposite direction, and fixed both buttons going in the same direction.
  • Fixed issue where if a unit was gifted in a group, the player could still control that unit via group they were previously in.
  • Fixed issue where current army emblem wasn't shown in list of emblems meaning once changed couldn't set it back.
  • When the player is defending in ambush, the attackers units are hidden because if they were ambushed they wouldn't know the details of the force they were up against.
  • Telestration (drawing) now works on the campaign tactical map for Multiplayer Campaign mode.
  • Added a vote-timer to the autoresolve panel buttons in Multiplayer Campaign mode pre-battle, so players know how much time is left to make a decision once the panel is opened.
  • Join Confederation option now appears as a diplomatic option when countering an AI’s diplomatic offer.
  • Added experience indicators on queued recruitment unit cards.
  • Multiple units can now be upgraded with better equipment, or retrained into better units, simultaneously.
  • When retraining units, UI now shows the unit a current unit will be retrained into, along with the cost for doing so.
  • Finance panel tax-slider now snaps to values, to make it easier to use, and to clarify that there are a finite number of levels.
  • Added notifications for when the other player saves in multiplayer campaign, so you know why the game is pausing.
  • Added filter-specific info to tooltips in the campaign tactical map (such as regional wealth values when on the region wealth filter).
  • Unit info UI now takes into account bonus HP for unit health stat, to fix incorrect values being shown
  • Unit info now shows the breakdown for melee defence and shield armour values on the tooltip.
  • Added vote timer to the pre-battle screen in Multiplayer Campaign mode, so players know how much time left to make decision once open this panel.
  • Unit info missile-damage display now working correctly (damage modifier was being applied to armour penetration damage, and breakdown wasn't taking into account the missile damage modifier).
  • Campaign radar map now follows the camera to improve navigation.
  • Client states and satrapies are now shown as allied on settlement panel. Also added an icon to show relationship of the factions owning the regions.
  • Fixed several rare crash instances.

I've won a military victory as Parthia (and I'm close actually with the other victories too, just needed a better income for economic and the buildings built for cultural lol).

Anyway, I continued the game and I've conquered the whole of Germany now.

Cataphracts...in German forests...with SNOW! LOL

The Iceni let the Frisii get their only settlement, so now I just have to go to Britannia too...lol I'll be beginning the conquest of Iberia as well.

The alliance I have with the Hellenic factions (and the rest of the Balkans) is starting the crumble though.

One of them cancelled military access, another cancelled the alliance with Parthia itself (but is still allied with the rest of my allies). One of them is not removing its armies from Anatolia...

Saw a video of the Blood & Gore DLC. It looks good. A shame its not a natural part of the game however. Lets hope the patch has fixed the siege problems. First 50% sale I see I'll probably buy. Sounds like the game is getting closer to where it should have been at launch. Did they ever remove the capture flag or is that still in the game?

Very little to no performance improvements as of Beta Patch 7. SLI still doesn't work, not that I think it can make use of it because the game is so poorly optimized for CPUs.

There is a rumor one of the next patches will include an SLI and crossfire fix. But this is pretty ridiculous to be at patch 7 nearly 2 months after release and still have nothing. Although the game is pretty CPU bottlenecked, I would imagine at very high resolutions SLI could make the difference between playable and not playable.

Last edited:
The siege AI in beta patch 7 uses its siege engines now, just not very well.

Here, I'm playing Carthage with a relatively small garrison, versus a standard pre-Marian Roman Legion (e.g. Hastati, Princepes, Triarii, and Equites): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROL_2yoYFlE
  • I gave the AI about 6 heavy siege towers and 3 heavy rams. Keep in mind I'm more interested in observing the AI's behavior and its reactions to my maneuvers; I'm not TRYING to win this fight.
  • At 1:10 you see the AI's towers reach my walls successfully and its troops pour onto the ramparts. I'm glad to see that they attacked an unguarded section of my wall at 2:05.
  • At 2:15, we see the AI's siege ram finally reaches my gates and begins to batter it down. It eventually batters down the gate, but fails entirely to flood through.
  • At 3:20, we see an AI unit struggling to scale its own siege tower. They seemingly climb up and back down. This is the second time I've observed this bug as I've seen it in another demonstration posted on TWC. Toward the end of the video, I noticed this particular tower was abandoned, so either the unit finished scaling it, or it disengaged.
  • Throughout the battle, you'll notice I regularly glance at the AI's reserve troops, which it never commits to the fray. Ultimately, I stop the battle when it's obvious that the AI has gone completely passive. I noticed the same passive behavior in the second battle, which I'll share once it's finished processing.

Here's the second siege AI demonstration I made to confirm that the AI's actions can be reproduced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulk3Ji7X8XY

• Siege towers reach the walls, the AI floods in, but this time they do a bit better in navigating my defenses.
  • At 4:13, you'll notice a couple of units actually outflank my defenders.
  • The first ram was destroyed early on, and they failed to commit the second ram let alone their reserves.
  • At 5:00, you'll see some of my hastati charge right off the wall.
  • Passive AI once again leads to a decisive AI loss.
All in all, a promising start, but a far cry from the siege AI I miss from previous TW titles.

Last edited:
*Snip AI patch still buggy*

So I was a fan of the first Rome Total War and have been following some of the frustrations with the new AI and game play. Is it worth the price tag yet or should I continue waiting for a sale and some more patches?

So I was a fan of the first Rome Total War and have been following some of the frustrations with the new AI and game play. Is it worth the price tag yet or should I continue waiting for a sale and some more patches?

I'd wait. The campaign AI is often aloof and uncoordinated, and the battle AI cannot manage a proper siege attack or defense. That leaves open field battles, which are actually incredibly fun when they occur; the AI is very evasive in its campaign map movements, so I don't often see open field battles.

I'd wait. The campaign AI is often aloof and uncoordinated, and the battle AI cannot manage a proper siege attack or defense. That leaves open field battles, which are actually incredibly fun when they occur; the AI is very evasive in its campaign map movements, so I don't often see open field battles.

agreed.

and Decimus, whether its worth buying or not depends a lot on how you viewed the previous TW titles. there seems to be 2 camps in the fan base now. the old TW die-hards who consider Rome & Medieval II the pinnacle of the TW franchise and newer fans who prefer Empire (tho even these guys consider TW:E a bag of fail) & Shogun II.

Rome II i assume will fix 'most' of the battle map mechanics. the campaign map portion of the game is a different story.
i consider myself and older TW fan. the changes they've made to the campaign map really effect my enjoyment of the game. things like;

-campaign map UI is horrid. everything is unnecessarily streamlined, hiding actions & info under several of the annoying pop-up menus.
-the limited cap on generals, agents, city construction, garrison management.
-can only recruit units to a general and you are limited to how many generals (3, 6, 9 or 12) based on your level of 'imperium'.
-same limitation applies to agents, 2, 3, 4 etc.
-limited slots to build stuff in cities (max 6 for capitals, max 4 for minor towns)
-maybe a personal thing but i miss building ROADS when i want to. game only upgrades your roads when it deems it feasible to based on the level of trade between 2 different provinces. it (the game) completely ignores the strategic value of building a good network of roads, ie roads out toward the boarders of your empire or roads from your primary unit producing cities.
-damn it, i should be the one making the decisions on what i can & cannot build + the number of things i build in my cities.
-again you have no input in the kind of defensive walls you have in your capitals. the walls only get updated when you upgrade the town center. also no defensive walls can be build in your minor towns.
-garrisons... again you have very limited control on the number and type of units for your capital/towns. the type of unit & number is dictated by the type of building in that town. most garrison units obviously come from unit producing building but others come from structures that you don't expect like temples, agriculture or trade buildings.
-family tree/dynasty has been completely gutted in comparison to Rome & Medieval II. other than no tree, marriages are broken. you have no idea of the type of general or statesmen your going get prior to plucking them out of a limited pool. the general mechanic here is, your generals are divided between your own family & other families. to maintain control of your empire, you have to either have a majority or sizable percentage of your family in control. if control gets too lop-sided, a civil-war it triggered.

the are a few other minor things that bother me;
-the encyclopedia (and yes you'll be using this a lot even if you've played all the previous TW games) is sluggish to browse. the diagrams/pics are missing if not online
-the tool-tips or pop-ups often obscure the text/info underneath. the time from mouse 'hoover' to pop-up needs to be tweaked especially in encyclopedia.
-in-between turns the map will often auto rotate to display other factions moves, very disorientating.
-you can't zoom out very far on campaign map, unlike in Rome or Medieval II. when you do zoom out, your field of view is often obscured by clouds!
-you can click and drag your way around the campaign map with the middle mouse button tho on the other maps (diplomatic or 'tab' map) it's the standard left-click to drag/navigate. little inconsistent here.
-your generals / agents really dont live that long (1 turn = 1 year). by the time they actually get decent, they die of old age. there are mods that extend this, 2 turns/4 turns per year.

any of these issues by themselves arent a big issue, but combined it makes for a very frustrating experience.

if you're still unconvinced about Rome II, look at metacritic, the critic scores have been steadly declining (at 76 atm) but the real disconnect is the user score @ 3.9. i wouldn't rate Rome II as badly as that that, somewhere in-between the two. even at around 50 indicated CA fucked up badly with this game.

Back