The Secret World

The fact that you responded to them shows that they did indeed hit a nerve.

Sorry.

TSW will be F2P within months. It's the only model that can survive and do well right now. Subscription based has a very hard time working right now, especially with TOR F2P and GW2 out.
 
The fact that you responded to them shows that they did indeed hit a nerve.

Sorry.

TSW will be F2P within months. It's the only model that can survive and do well right now. Subscription based has a very hard time working right now, especially with TOR F2P and GW2 out.
I really think TSW will have to go f2p also. I hope when it does, that it is very successful. I am hoping that the game will become more like EVE (i.e. a very successful niche game), as opposed to AoC.
 
The fact that you responded to them shows that they did indeed hit a nerve.

Sorry.

TSW will be F2P within months. It's the only model that can survive and do well right now. Subscription based has a very hard time working right now, especially with TOR F2P and GW2 out.

Responding to someone means you're crying about it? When did this phenomenon occur? Anyway, seems it's a great circle of trolls here..... Take care, I'll be back when someone says something worth responding to.
 
I did TSW trial and some PvP, was alright. Hoping to see more cool mobs though rather than zombies all the time but I only played on the trial as well. But it seemed very similar to GW2 so I went that route but losing interest now. If it goes F2P I will for sure probably grind some levels out just to see the big cool monsters, great idea just bad timing with GW2 coming out and F2P after purchase.

Hope the elder scrolls online is amazing is all I can say, I look forward to actually exploring again!

Some of my best times were buying a boat and sailing to Destard in Ultima Online....I really miss the games where you had a home and could hoard items/full loot etc. Hope the shadowbane emulator comes along soon, might have to try new Mortal Online awakening expansion as well. But due to life I have to pick 1 game... having a hard time :p
 
TSW is a very good game but I also find.it difficult that it has.much life left as a subscription based game. I hope it continues as it is.one of the better MMOs I've played. Unfortunately GW2 sucked me in and with it being f2p is just the icing on the cake for me.
 
Unfortunately GW2 sucked me in and with it being f2p is just the icing on the cake for me.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing, in today's market, that the buy-to-play for just box price "forever" (other than expansions) is a good value so long as they like a game 80-90% as much as a subscription one (or more, of course).
 
Ya that seems to be about right. I just don't have time for multiple games anymore which is why I dropped tsw. If it was f2p I would keep it around and throw some cash their way via their shop.
 
Hurl all the insults your want Golden Tiger, but I find arguing on the Internet to be pointless and unsatisfying. I was merely stating an opinion of TSW after playing the for past 2 months, I don't have time or the patience for childish games, i.e...trolling.

In all seriousness, I've enjoyed the mechanics and the story-line of TSW and IMO it's probably one of the better MMO's that I've played. I applaud Funcom for creating an MMO that goes against the grain, hopefully they can deliver on their promises and keep things going.

Enjoy your game.
 
This shit deserves a big bucket of popcorn. A popcorn bucket and a couch.
 
This shit deserves a big bucket of popcorn. A popcorn bucket and a couch.

I got mine, been a laugh a minute as gw2 trolls pile in, after flaming for real complaints in their thread, then doing the same here with bs and no actual complaints, claiming they aren't trolling and anyone saying anything about their Lord GW2 is a childish troll :rolleyes:. Thankfully I am not a teen seeking validation and don't really care about them but for shitting up a thread for no reason.
 
I don't see what's wrong with TSW or GW2. Both games are pretty darn good. I temporarily dropped TSW for GW2, but I'm definitely coming back. I think people overstate things and get on other's nerves easily when they do. I call a spade a spade regardless of who likes it. But after a bit you have to realize that the people that stick with a game are there because they truly like it. When you learn to take a step back, clear your head and see it through their eyes, sometimes you can see where they're coming from.

The real funny thing is that all of this posturing and hate for a game is a product of developer stock pressure. In the old days they could innovate because if they failed to innovate they went out of business. Nowadays they are beholden to their investors. The game is completely secondary in the grand scheme of things. It's all about focus groups and market research; innovation is another term for out of business.

Gamers buy into this mindset hook, line, and sinker. Then decent threads about games degenerate into shouting matches. Some games do deserve extreme criticism as there are core problems and if you don't like it express yourself! But when the argument is about setting, stocks, and marketing videos then it's not fun to read. It's darn annoying to be exact.

Please be mindful of your fellow readers guys. Thank you!
 
I don't see what's wrong with TSW or GW2. Both games are pretty darn good. I temporarily dropped TSW for GW2, but I'm definitely coming back. I think people overstate things and get on other's nerves easily when they do. I call a spade a spade regardless of who likes it. But after a bit you have to realize that the people that stick with a game are there because they truly like it. When you learn to take a step back, clear your head and see it through their eyes, sometimes you can see where they're coming from.

The real funny thing is that all of this posturing and hate for a game is a product of developer stock pressure. In the old days they could innovate because if they failed to innovate they went out of business. Nowadays they are beholden to their investors. The game is completely secondary in the grand scheme of things. It's all about focus groups and market research; innovation is another term for out of business.

Gamers buy into this mindset hook, line, and sinker. Then decent threads about games degenerate into shouting matches. Some games do deserve extreme criticism as there are core problems and if you don't like it express yourself! But when the argument is about setting, stocks, and marketing videos then it's not fun to read. It's darn annoying to be exact.

Please be mindful of your fellow readers guys. Thank you!

Quoted for excellence. No, I know it is supposed to be emphasis, I didn't say it wrong ;).
 
I found a funny video about the latest patch release. It is a take off from the old Hitler video and PS3 from like over a year ago.
Video
 
"we made a decision to at least try and breathe some new life into a stagnating genre."


there it is..that one sentence says it all from that article

its a dying genre, not stagnating..but I applaud them for making the attempt
 
"we made a decision to at least try and breathe some new life into a stagnating genre."


there it is..that one sentence says it all from that article

its a dying genre, not stagnating..but I applaud them for making the attempt


Dying genre? WOW, Rift, EVE, etc. all say hello.
 
The MMO genre isn't dying. What is dying is the amount of patience that consumers have with bad ideas. People didn't like the combat in TSW so this is the result of the backlash. The questing is well above average in the context of fun and cerebral. The run here and fetch questing style is standard MMO fare.

The combat is disappointing. I'm given a gun and restricted by the jackass in the Escapist Magazine that got fired. If his team had gone with fps or "Tera" style combat it would have been a home run. But all it comes off as now is clunky and uninspiring because we know what it could have been. Big minus for TSW and I bet the main reason only 200,000 copies were sold.

So even though the questing was innovative and fun, the combat system that you have to deal with more hours a day than the questing sunk the ship. Can the game continue to exist as is? Of course it can, but it is dependent on Funcom's commitment to it and their investors. Investor sentiment means much more than subscription numbers. I think they should implement their original ideas for the combat system, but that would be innovative and go against what the fired guy is saying.

So who's right? How do you get more subscribers to your MMO if you follow the basic WoW formula? Don't even try as every time a veteran MMO player will see it and go back and play WoW as that's where our time is invested already. Why start over again to do the same old same old?

Doesn't that mean that the MMO genre is dying? No, as any company could only dream of having 12 million active subcribers like WoW had at one point. That's 12 million people sending you $15 a month. Of course some of those people don't pay $15 but that's the best I can do without hard numbers.

Then add in numbers from Guild Wars and other MMOs out today and you get an idea of the enormous money making potential that these companies are chasing. It's funny how all these companies try to copy the magic sauce formula that WoW copied from other MMOs prior to it, yet can't see that the only reason Blizzard overcame it's predecessors was that they innovated by melding all of them into one game.

That's right they innovated the MMO genre and became what they are today. Innovation sells; same old same old gets you fired and crying in an online blog.
 
Watching the MMORPG interview with the devs and the new reticle aiming system. Seems to be a very nice change! Nephew and I can't decide which MMO to start back to playing since he just got back from Texas a couple days ago. If this new patch comes soon I think we'll hit up TSW first as it had the best storyline compared to the current MMO selection out today.
 

Am I supposed to care? So long as there are enough people on the servers to enjoy the game with, why would it matter to me if it has eleventy billion subs or a few hundred thousand? That article actually is quite *POSITIVE* towards TSW, by the way, and it has attained a good status as a quality game in general. With no real MMO releases of note on the horizon that directly compete, GW2 fizzling out, and Pandaria hype slowing down, the forums on TSW and game pop has been picking up and should grow steadily. Additionally, they have added a good chunk of content through their Issues already, a raid is coming along with the second auxillary weapon & more in Issue 4, with a big new zone in a couple of months + more weapons, PVP improvements, etc.

Bottom line is the game is fun as hell, a bit off the beaten "easy-mode themepark" path but most people who are subscribed actually really, really like the game. This seems to grate on some trolls, but it's the truth.

Here's an exercise for you: Go look on the forums for TSW. Count how many people have rage I QUIT!!!! posts or "THIS GAME SUCKS!!!!" posts. Count how many people posted saying they're glad they tried the game, or bought lifetime, or that the game is under-rated but picking up now. Case in point.
 
Surprised this failure of a game is hanging on to the subscription model. I would have thought the inevitable F2P plans would be in motion by now. They really should go with the GW2 model of buy once and play for free... it seems like the most reasonable compromise between their absurdly stupid triple dipping monetization strategy and the pay to win F2P scenario.
 
Lol. This thread is the biggest cesspool on the forum. I swear.
 
Surprised this failure of a game is hanging on to the subscription model. I would have thought the inevitable F2P plans would be in motion by now. They really should go with the GW2 model of buy once and play for free... it seems like the most reasonable compromise between their absurdly stupid triple dipping monetization strategy and the pay to win F2P scenario.

In actuality it's the exact same monetization model WoW uses.
 
In actuality it's the exact same monetization model WoW uses.

Indeed it is. Wow is also the most popular MMO out there with millions of players so they can get away with it. What were the devs of this game thinking when they decided it would work for them too?
 
Indeed it is. Wow is also the most popular MMO out there with millions of players so they can get away with it. What were the devs of this game thinking when they decided it would work for them too?

It could have worked for them if the combat wasn't a let down at launch. Whomever decided to add the ability wheel to the game was a genius. And also whomever decided to do 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 combos was a dumbass. After the guy whom most likely scrapped the FPS style combat system in favor of the WoW style system was fired, interest in the game immediately shot up in my family circle of gamers.

Everyone I know was like why are they giving us these cool ass guns, super customizable skill sets, and restricting us to pressing 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2? So the newly appointed development team is changing it to the system the game had during early beta. It's the same system that was already being used when everyone was excited about the game. Then a head honcho scrapped it in favor of this mess.

Now to finally answer your question. :) If they had gone with what their gut told them was fun as far as combat goes, and paired that with the innovative storylines and questing that they already have, they would have had a lot more subscribers than they do now. A helluva lot more! We wouldn't be having this conversation about are they solvent as a company if TSW fails to attract more subscribers. Charging $15 a month and having a cosmetic store for diehard fans wouldn't be out of the question. Fans would have craved it!

It's a damn good game even with the boring combat. It's just that if a MMO player is going to do the same thing they've been doing for 10 years+, then they might as well do it with the same character and company they have established a social presence with. Cookie cutter will do you no favors nowadays. The only cookie cutter MMO with any sense of community and success is Rift. And they innovated by doing monthly content patches that keeps their community happy. So you really can't call them cookie cutter and be truthful as new monthly content is a huge incentive to subscribe and pay $15 a month.

I don't believe FunCom could afford to do updates as often as they do if they went F2P as monthly updates require maintaining a large staff to work on new content.. And I think that's a point that's lost in news about who got laid off, for what reasoning, and the finger pointing in this thread.
 
Last edited:
Indeed it is. Wow is also the most popular MMO out there with millions of players so they can get away with it. What were the devs of this game thinking when they decided it would work for them too?
WoW also didn't start out with this monetization model. It was strictly a p2p MMO that incorporated an RMT store after years of success.
 
Patch 1.4 with a big Fusang (non-instanced pvp) revamp is hitting soon, another new endgame dungeon, new auxillary weapon, the first raid, and more in around a week! Game has actually picked up steam population-wise.... definitely more people on than I have been used to. :) With 1.4 in the Fusang tests I attended it is going to be way better, although I already liked it overall. Check out the patch info on the secret world testlive forums (or find a repost on the normal ones). This game has definitely held its own over time for me and I forsee it being one I play for several years, like DAOC, not just 2-4 months like other flameouts (or less, in the case of gw2 and Aion).
 
WoW also didn't start out with this monetization model. It was strictly a p2p MMO that incorporated an RMT store after years of success.

What does that matter? It's what WOW uses now and what many on the market do. It is completely optional in TSW and purely cosmetics/etc. No gameplay-altering stuff like WOW even where you can buy your mount with real cash for example.
 
So is the combat still 111111 2222? A post above said they were changing it?
 
Some newer specs people have found that are competitive and in some cases superior (at the cost of being more complex to do properly) are getting slowly more popular lately... I have an assault rifle/blood dps build that is like that, very fun and more involved than the "5 builder, two finisher" setup that many adhere to as though it is "The One Build". I've seen some that shift almost entirely to finishers (like 3/4 with varying abilities used as finishers, 4-5 of them, then back to a builder or 2 before doing more finishers as in the order situationally needed).

Population seems to still be picking up a tad, and there's a big new patch (Issue #5) due soon (next couple weeks) with more Fusang overhauls, a new event+large quest setup (Mayan apocalypse), a 3rd auxillary weapon, etc. This game's definitely got staying power for me and many, clearly.

To qualify my post, I am Master Planner in all 8 current dungeons, have beaten the raid multiple times already, and have multiple sets worth of top-end gear (10.4/10.4 with some 10.5 upgraded + raid drops). The gameplay is still fun, and I still have things to work towards to upgrade myself. PVP is a bit borked with population imbalance right now for Fusang (fixes for which are coming in Issue #5) but still a ball in the actual gameplay side of things, and of course the instanced PVP is balanced barring people dropping from your team mid-match. I've still got a full zone untouched, and have some raid accomplishments (such as the 5-minute end-boss kill) and raid stuff to gather for some time to come... lots of fun in pvp, still working on polishing many signets off, etc. I've also had some fun hunting rare monsters lately :D and challenging myself with solo/duo lair farming at good speed.
 
I don't think I'll be returning to this game, ever. Saddens me to say that while it was fun in the beginning, with how my schedule is, and how large my back log is, I don't think I'll have time to go back even if it was fun playing with a buddy. :(
 
I don't think I'll be returning to this game, ever. Saddens me to say that while it was fun in the beginning, with how my schedule is, and how large my back log is, I don't think I'll have time to go back even if it was fun playing with a buddy. :(

Yeah, there's a LOT of competition out there among games in general, despite there not being many good MMORPG's on the market. My real issue with games in general right now is that there are too many good ones... money isn't the problem but rather spending on a game when I already have X million backlogged titles. I've been very picky on what I buy for the past year or two now and still have "too much" to play. TSW has been good enough to warrant my time though :D.

That said, if someone does happen to be wanting a new mmo, check out this deal thread (I have also posted my current thoughts in a reply to the OP): http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039395824 . GreenManGaming has a copy including a free month for $5 on a sale right now :).
 
Grab a buddy or two, it's away more fun to solve the puzzles and quests (especially the long ass "search" ones) with a group.

and doing stupid things with your buddies in the beginning areas is fun too
 
I don't like it, lol

back to defiance.

Damn that was quick. Well if you think you gave it a fair chance, heh. My personal favorite was the long ass quest lines where you had to do some serious thinking to figure them out. Can't think of many games that do that. Too many games out to play just this though heh.
 
Back
Top