The Secret World

I think GW2 is the current hype machine and will hurt even games like bf3 or wow for a week or so until the hype dies a bit. After I expect business as usual. TSW is not going to be particularly hurt by GW2 in my opinion as they offer different things that appeal to different people to an extent, and TSW does the overlapping things better. GW2 will start big and die down. TSW is starting small and will build up like Eve did.
 
Do you guys think GW2 is going to pull a lot of subs from TSW? I know this is the case with a lot of MMO launches but I'm seriously considering buying the TSW lifetime package.

Anything we say is pure speculation, but I don't think GW2 would necessarily attract the same player. But then again GW2 is F2P so it's a no brainer purchase for a MMO fan. All you lose is the price of a game and you can login anytime for a peek to see how the world has changed. Got to pay $200 for the same rights in TSW. I already paid for lifetime sub even though my nephew put the game on the back burner for now. Whenever he comes back I'll be ready to level again.
 
Last edited:
I might hold off on the lifetime sub right now if i were you. Might not really get your money's worth if continued development keeps getting delayed and/or the whole game goes belly up (they just laid off 50% of their staff).
 
I think TSW is more of a niche mmo game that will stick around. GW2 will likely be far bigger and more casual but I think TSW will still be there, like eve.
 
I think TSW is more of a niche mmo game that will stick around. GW2 will likely be far bigger and more casual but I think TSW will still be there, like eve.

This is the feeling I get, as well.
 
I'm not too worried if TSW goes F2P even after paying for a lifetime, sub.

Usually in caes like that, lifetime subbers get nice monthly bonuses or other perks that wont be available to others once F2P kicks in,

Just like Tabula Rasa, I'm with TSW until they shut the servers off. GW2 isn't even something I'm all that interested in from my playtime in the beta and stress testing. It's ok, but its nothing to get all "OMG ITS GW2!" over imho. It's just another fantasy MMO to me.
 
I am downloading the game right now to try out the trial. I am looking for an MMO, and Guild Wars 2 doesn't look like it will interest me at all after watching multiple streams off Twitch.

It was either this or Fallen Earth...
 
What server is everybody on? I might as well join one, that somebody else is on...

I am about look up the different factions and such to see what I want to do
 
It doesn't matter what server everyone else is on necessarily. They run on an Instanced server tech. The only reason for really picking a server is for PVP and to try and pick a server with faction combo that will allow you the buff from the PVP fighting.
I think most of them are about even now except I think Huldra is still Templar run at the moment.
 
Gotcha...

I tried to play a little last night, but something is up with my computer/game...It felt like it was running at about 10fps the whole time...I didn't have time to really look up any optimization tricks, but hopefully I can get it fixed so I can play...
 
I hate to admit it, but I stopped playing TSW once Sleeping Dogs came out, and now I'm into GW2 as well. I need more time in my week to play all 3!
 
If the entirety of TSW is as awesome as the reviews and players say as well as based on what I've experienced so far, I'm going to be playing for quite a while. I'm certainly not concerned with whether the game goes F2P, or if GW2 causes a drop in players.

Unfortunately, I played the Sleeping Dogs demo which led me to buy the full game and I've been playing that game during any free time I've had over the past couple of days. TSW is awesome and all but it's on hold for a little while.

Don't feel bad BiH115, TSW is a great game and Imma eventually finish it but right now Sleeping Dogs is the greatest game of all time. :D
 
If the entirety of TSW is as awesome as the reviews and players say as well as based on what I've experienced so far, I'm going to be playing for quite a while. I'm certainly not concerned with whether the game goes F2P, or if GW2 causes a drop in players.

Unfortunately, I played the Sleeping Dogs demo which led me to buy the full game and I've been playing that game during any free time I've had over the past couple of days. TSW is awesome and all but it's on hold for a little while.

Don't feel bad BiH115, TSW is a great game and Imma eventually finish it but right now Sleeping Dogs is the greatest game of all time. :D

Hell yeah. Sleeping Dogs gets finished first is what I'm thinking, though I'll definitely be doing some GW2 tonight. I think after I fully finish Sleeping Dogs (this week), I'll be doing GW2, then hopefully getting back to TSW with my friend.
 
Haha, that's funny, I saw a couple of people talking about Sleeping Dogs in-game too :p. I may have to give that one's demo a shot :D.
 
I cancelled my sub today. As a casual player I finally plateaued in TSW. Maybe if it goes f2p I'll be back but not being able to run the dungeons was a huge turn off for me. Got tired of trying to get groups for them. Early on it was easy but now lfg is silent for dungeon runs.
 
I turned on my HTPC and as I was mousing over to the Sleeping Dogs desktop shortcut, I swear I could hear the TSW shortcut saying "click meeeee". Maybe this weekend. I've been hitting the Sleeping Dogs pipe so hard this past week that I'll be in the dog house if I put any more time into games for the next week or so.
 
I cancelled my sub today. As a casual player I finally plateaued in TSW. Maybe if it goes f2p I'll be back but not being able to run the dungeons was a huge turn off for me. Got tired of trying to get groups for them. Early on it was easy but now lfg is silent for dungeon runs.

Isn't the next chapter being released on the 11th? Kinda weird timing to cancel sub.
 
Isn't the next chapter being released on the 11th? Kinda weird timing to cancel sub.

2 new NM dungeons will be released along with a barber shop and plastic surgery to allow players to change their look

there will also probably some new Investigative missions

I'm going to be canceling my sub too.

ran NM dungeons plenty of times and don't care for running them anymore. never cared for MMO PvP and the other end game stuff of lair/signet farming isn't that appealing to me.

I might check back into TSW when they release Tokyo content. I'll probably watch YT videos of the 10 man raid content when it gets released in October. I doubt I'll come back to participate in raid content. the NM gear reqs people were wanting while understanding the mentality behind it were idiotic in terms of wanting only massively overgeared players which really annoyed me.
 
2 new NM dungeons will be released along with a barber shop and plastic surgery to allow players to change their look

there will also probably some new Investigative missions

I'm going to be canceling my sub too.

ran NM dungeons plenty of times and don't care for running them anymore. never cared for MMO PvP and the other end game stuff of lair/signet farming isn't that appealing to me.

I might check back into TSW when they release Tokyo content. I'll probably watch YT videos of the 10 man raid content when it gets released in October. I doubt I'll come back to participate in raid content. the NM gear reqs people were wanting while understanding the mentality behind it were idiotic in terms of wanting only massively overgeared players which really annoyed me.

There's also a huge Fusang (non-instanced PVP) revamp with new objectives/etc., Lairs are being turned into 5-man open-world PVE spots with quests etc., and the first of 9 Auxillary Weapons on a new skill wheel. Add that to the barber shop, new nightmare dungeons, new questlines (repeatable), etc. and you've got a nice patch. 1.3 (Issue 3) is still scheduled for the end of September, as well. If all you're doing is dungeon grinding and you don't like anything but dungeons but are burnt out on dungeons... you'd be best-suited with a different genre probably... just sounds like you're burnt out on MMO's.

I cancelled my sub today. As a casual player I finally plateaued in TSW. Maybe if it goes f2p I'll be back but not being able to run the dungeons was a huge turn off for me. Got tired of trying to get groups for them. Early on it was easy but now lfg is silent for dungeon runs.

If it goes "free to play" (lol @ that name, since nothing ever is truly free), how would that help you find dungeons if you're incapable of forming a group currently, when there are already huge numbers of players in-game searching for dungeons? Also, you may want to install Field Agent Locator, which is an add-on most people use for Nightmare dungeon groups to help them form, basically a very advanced LFG tool people can see your stats, experience, role(s), etc. with. Most groups form through that nowadays, so spamming the chat channel is not an effective way right now. The 1.2 patch has an official LFG tool to help people form groups (not auto-dungeon finder, but a solid LFG tool) that it will tie into as well.
 
Free to play is my cup of tea. I'd play this more if it was free (as in, no monthly fees). I don't really feel like paying for it, though I do like it. :-\ Wish I had more buddy's that were into this.
 
I uninstalled it after 4 hours. I can't go from playing a fps, with a real physics engine to playing a, "hit the tab key and spam the 1 key, while running backwards" style combat.

Kill 6 zombies, set zombies on fire, fetch ammo, find people. Bland dialogue. Amateur's guide to the occult. Zombies. Limited NPC character models. No thanks.

The highlight of the game was seeing a blowup of the blond-haired, blue-eyed girl wearing skin-tight red leather pants, which revealed the outline of her panties. :D
 
I uninstalled it after 4 hours. I can't go from playing a fps, with a real physics engine to playing a, "hit the tab key and spam the 1 key, while running backwards" style combat.

Kill 6 zombies, set zombies on fire, fetch ammo, find people. Bland dialogue. Amateur's guide to the occult. Zombies. Limited NPC character models. No thanks.

The highlight of the game was seeing a blowup of the blond-haired, blue-eyed girl wearing skin-tight red leather pants, which revealed the outline of her panties. :D

Out of curiosity, what sort of game were you expecting since you are apparently a hard core FPS player? TSW is an MMO, somewhat similar to WoW, Aion, Rift, etc etc. It's not a zombie FPS or even close, nor was it meant to be.

There's also a lot more to combat than spamming one button, but if you never left the starter zone (aka tutorial zone for people who have no clue how to play), then you never got to experience much else I guess. This is especially true if you didn't build out a good, rounded deck of skills that compliment each other. It's a thinking MMO more than any other, nothing gets handed to you, which is a nice change from what WoW has turned into imho.

It's a solid game, though like any game, it's not for everyone, and also like every game, it's not flawless, but it's still new, so only time will tell if those flaws get fixed. Until then, plenty find it an enjoyable change of pace from the more mindless games out there......
 
I have a lifetime sub and I am going to come back to it later. Right now, I went back to AO. Hopefully all this talk of them finally bringing their new graphics engine is coming to light this next yet. Right now, I am having a ball playing it again.
 
It appears that among the people hit by the recent round of layoffs at Funcom, which involved roughly 50% of the personnel, there is also The Secret World's lead designer Martin Bruusgaard, who still reassures that the game will go strong without him:
Unfortunately, I'm not with Funcom anymore... :/

I think that 50% was an overall Funcom percentage. The Oslo office got hit much much harder.

Wow... I'm speechless. Thank you so much for the support. You have no idea how much it means to me...

Also, rest assured that TSW is in good hands. We have some awesome people working on it, and it's going full speed ahead!

And just to clarify: This is not a new round of forced leave. It happened a few weeks ago.
We wish good luck to Bruusgaard for his new job, and hope that we won't have to hear about other lay-offs for a good while.

Thanks, Develop.
Related Games: The Secret WorldShare:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109432-the-secret-world-lead-designer-laid-off-from-funcom.html


what a shame...between this and gw2, they really came up with much needed genre changing ideas
 
It appears that among the people hit by the recent round of layoffs at Funcom, which involved roughly 50% of the personnel, there is also The Secret World's lead designer Martin Bruusgaard, who still reassures that the game will go strong without him:
Unfortunately, I'm not with Funcom anymore... :/

I think that 50% was an overall Funcom percentage. The Oslo office got hit much much harder.

Wow... I'm speechless. Thank you so much for the support. You have no idea how much it means to me...

Also, rest assured that TSW is in good hands. We have some awesome people working on it, and it's going full speed ahead!

And just to clarify: This is not a new round of forced leave. It happened a few weeks ago.
We wish good luck to Bruusgaard for his new job, and hope that we won't have to hear about other lay-offs for a good while.

Thanks, Develop.
Related Games: The Secret WorldShare:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109432-the-secret-world-lead-designer-laid-off-from-funcom.html


what a shame...between this and gw2, they really came up with much needed genre changing ideas

TSW is on life-support right now. I honestly don't see how this game in it's current form is going to survive another 4-6 months...
 
TSW is on life-support right now. I honestly don't see how this game in it's current form is going to survive another 4-6 months...

That's a load and ya know it. Stop trolling. Game is doing fine still, just like for example, Rift was. Rift has its first expansion about to come out. TSW didn't sell 5 billion copies, but it is profitable for them and is under active development.
 
That's a load and ya know it. Stop trolling. Game is doing fine still, just like for example, Rift was. Rift has its first expansion about to come out. TSW didn't sell 5 billion copies, but it is profitable for them and is under active development.

seems I hit a nerve...

sorry to disappoint, but I'm not trolling. I own the game, but don't plan on renewing when my 3 months is up...I'll probably come back when it goes F2P though...
 
seems I hit a nerve...

sorry to disappoint, but I'm not trolling. I own the game, but don't plan on renewing when my 3 months is up...I'll probably come back when it goes F2P though...

Hmm, not sure how calling out misinformation is having a nerve hit. In fact I am not sure how you got any emotional reading off that post other than laughter at obvious tripe. Anyway, have fun with whatever game you play, but try not to claim it too is dead when your attention span ends.
 
Hmm, not sure how calling out misinformation is having a nerve hit. In fact I am not sure how you got any emotional reading off that post other than laughter at obvious tripe. Anyway, have fun with whatever game you play, but try not to claim it too is dead when your attention span ends.
Pretty touchy when it's your sacred cow people are criticizing, and yet you have no problem trying to derail an entire thread with your inane criticisms.
 
Pretty touchy when it's your sacred cow people are criticizing, and yet you have no problem trying to derail an entire thread with your inane criticisms.

This shit's getting ridiculous...fucking pointless.
 
This shit's getting ridiculous...fucking pointless.
Glad you feel that way. I watched an entire thread get derailed by GT, and then come here to read another thread only to see him attack mtbush for trolling when he was just offering an opinion based on facts provided by Funcom and a letter from a lead designer.

(Just so I stay on topic)

I have enjoyed the time I've spent in The Secret World, and feel it offers a lot of new concepts that improve the MMO genre. At the same time, I agree with mtbush that the game will not survive long in its current state. The combination of a retail box, subscription, and cash shop hurts TSW's population because there are competitors out there that offer better value.
 
Glad you feel that way. I watched an entire thread get derailed by GT, and then come here to read another thread only to see him attack mtbush for trolling when he was just offering an opinion based on facts provided by Funcom and a letter from a lead designer.

(Just so I stay on topic)

I have enjoyed the time I've spent in The Secret World, and feel it offers a lot of new concepts that improve the MMO genre. At the same time, I agree with mtbush that the game will not survive long in its current state. The combination of a retail box, subscription, and cash shop hurts TSW's population because there are competitors out there that offer better value.

I've never had an issue with any company incorporating a "cash shop" for decorative, non-statistical benefits (i.e. hats, dresses, tuxedos, dance moves, alternate game music/effects, etc.) Should TSW have a system where the cash shop has items, as long as there is an equivalent in-game item that can be obtained without using the cash shop I see it as profiting off of laziness, and every game company should do it. :)
 
Glad you feel that way. I watched an entire thread get derailed by GT, and then come here to read another thread only to see him attack mtbush for trolling when he was just offering an opinion based on facts provided by Funcom and a letter from a lead designer.

I find it pretty hypocritical and an amazing double-standard when *I* offer an honest opinion of actual gameplay elements from a game including detailed feedback, I get called a "derailing troll" and have tons of insults flung at me, yet when someone comes posting just "OMG THE GAME IS ON LIFE SUPPORT, ABANDON SHIP!" in a thread, they get hailed as a hero. HINT: Bangorang posted the letter & link, not mtbush. Mtbush simply trolled with a comment I paraphrased above. :)

Pretty touchy when it's your sacred cow people are criticizing, and yet you have no problem trying to derail an entire thread with your inane criticisms.

I don't have any sacred cows other than my family, perhaps. Again, I'm unsure how you people think I particularly care about your comments other than double-standard trolling, but believe me, I couldn't care much less about your snide little quips about a videogame I happen to play. You truly have a messiah-complex if you think someone on a forum is that affected by you to the point where they get "touchy" :rolleyes: .

For posterity, it was not Mtbush who posted anything about the game, just a random troll. It was Bangorang:

It appears that among the people hit by the recent round of layoffs at Funcom, which involved roughly 50% of the personnel, there is also The Secret World's lead designer Martin Bruusgaard, who still reassures that the game will go strong without him:
Unfortunately, I'm not with Funcom anymore... :/

I think that 50% was an overall Funcom percentage. The Oslo office got hit much much harder.

Wow... I'm speechless. Thank you so much for the support. You have no idea how much it means to me...

Also, rest assured that TSW is in good hands. We have some awesome people working on it, and it's going full speed ahead!

And just to clarify: This is not a new round of forced leave. It happened a few weeks ago.
We wish good luck to Bruusgaard for his new job, and hope that we won't have to hear about other lay-offs for a good while.

Thanks, Develop.
Related Games: The Secret WorldShare:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109432-the-secret-world-lead-designer-laid-off-from-funcom.html


what a shame...between this and gw2, they really came up with much needed genre changing ideas
 
Back
Top