The Official HardCraft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems reasonable. The whole reason we don't just run two worlds is that G1 wants to keep our server from being completely dependent on multi-world mods that might become unmaintained or whatever. But if it were a temporary solution to allow people to shuttle over some of their belongings... that might be an option.

While a completely fresh start would be cool, the fact is people would have a billion diamonds and other stuff within a week or two anyway. So not much is lost in the freshness factor by letting people bring over loot.

What does everyone think of this idea:

Temporarily run a smallish 1.8 world in parallel with 1.7 world. 1.7 world goes offline after a couple weeks or something. When 1.9 comes out, 1.8 expands to a larger size. We don't need a huge world to start since the area around spawn will keep people busy for a long while.

EDIT: On another note, anyone know where I an upload a 20MB PNG? :p

I vote 100% for that. There is not a ton of stuff to move, but it still woudl be cool to move all my wool and dyes over to the new world. Would make rebuilding some pixel art easier.

Let me migrate stuff and I think you can get some of the "new world " hold outs to switch over.

Some friends and I play on a server that I run.

We wanted to generate a new map a few months ago, so what I did was I created a portal at the spawn that linked to a portal on the old map. Yes, there were two completely different maps.

Before we generated the new map, I had everyone put all of the stuff they wanted to keep into chests. They could then teleport to the old world, get their stuff, and come back. After a week or so, I disabled the portal.

Would this not work for the [H] server?

I like this idea!

I guess the question is: How big of a map makes the server unstable/slow etc?
If the map is now 3k X 3k (not sure if that is correct), is there any reason why it could not be 6k X 3k? I'm pretty sure there are ways to move the spawn (ideally to coordinates 3k X 1.5k), so expansion would be pretty easy. Just a thought...

There is no size that makes it unstable and slow, the size of the map is just because of reasons like this... can you imagine having to travel 8000 to just get to a new biome because of those crazy wondering explorer types?

and no the map can't be 6x3 it has to be square, 3x3 6x6 9x9 whatever

i do not think importing stuff from the old world to the new is a good idea. Too many people would want it.

Forget importing just host both worlds after 1.9 comes out for a week or so to allow for people to move over whatever they want and they kill off the 1.7 world.

With all the changes that are happening in 1.8 and 1.9 biome code I really do not think it would be smart to do a 1.8 world unless it was very small, the lack of a snow biome makes me sad.

I agree, with the above point. Since 1.8 is more gimped than we thought (missing snow, npc..etc)
If we do a new map we should keep it pretty small until the 1.9 release, then go big. (small being 1-2k square and big being 8-10k square)

We could do a community project of sorts with people having sized lots for their 1.8 homes until 1.9 releases.

Actually, a small world could be appealing in some ways.

We could construct a small city for ourselves, and include streets, paths, trees, and all that, I mean I'm talking like an actual village where we can easily walk to each others houses.

We can then construct other entertainments in another district, and work collaboratively.

small map shouldn't be a problem since there is really only about 20ish active players, the rest are hardly around so crowding won't be an issue till new people start coming in.

Seems reasonable. The whole reason we don't just run two worlds is that G1 wants to keep our server from being completely dependent on multi-world mods that might become unmaintained or whatever. But if it were a temporary solution to allow people to shuttle over some of their belongings... that might be an option.

While a completely fresh start would be cool, the fact is people would have a billion diamonds and other stuff within a week or two anyway. So not much is lost in the freshness factor by letting people bring over loot.

Temporarily run a smallish 1.8 world in parallel with 1.7 world. 1.7 world goes offline after a couple weeks or something. When 1.9 comes out, 1.8 expands to a larger size. We don't need a huge world to start since the area around spawn will keep people busy for a long while.

I like this option the best so far. As other have posted, it would pretty much force everyone to focus on making an awesome spawn point for after 1.9 comes out and the map is expanded.

I agree with this, best of both worlds.

As long as the temporary world is in creative mode I am down. :) Let's spice things up a notch.

creative mode is a bad idea. Just bring over the blocks from the other world if you need the stuff so bad. I know I will have lots of chests and wool :)

G1, 1.8 will have a creative mode for enabled admins, so if you want to use it you should be able to. Everyone does not have to have it.

I like the idea of creative mode for admins so they can repair any griefer attacks, or patch up terrain that's strip mined/destroyed. But ONLY that.

I take it that the server is down right now... yes?

And would it be possible to have me warped to a certain coordinate far far away from center area? :D

EDIT: Also, I just noticed I was repoofed. "Look Ma, I Flamebait!" --> "I Have Shit in my Hair, really."

Hey, so I rolled a 1.8Pre1 map the other day to play around on, and LOLed when I spawner LITERALLY in the middle of the ocean. Did a bit of exploring, and am currently huddled in a small cave tending 5 wheat plants after having found an island with a tree on it. With 1.8Pre2 having come out today, I wanted to see how different the world would be if I used the same exact seed as I had in Pre1 (Jeb said he nerfed the Abandoned Mine Shafts some and a few other things like that).

At first glance they looked exactly the same! I explored around a bit and then quit out to render some Cartograph G maps for comparison. Surface-wise they were both the same. When I compared their cave systems, they were *almost* the same, but the Pre2 map did, indeed, have fewer Abandoned Mine Shafts (as well as a few less other subterranean structures as well). Anyways, mostly I just thought that was really interesting.

I'm sure I will run across some larger land masses eventually, but if you/we/anyone wants to try out a challenging and interesting "Waterworld-esque" map, use the seed "6165114465861001945".

Here's a map of what I've explored so far:

If anyone is interested, I can post the cave comparison pic I made.

That is nuts!

I generated a new map today that had some awesome crevasses. I mean like flying down the Death Star trenche impressive. I should have recorded the seed for that one.

I really do think we could have a blast with creative mode. people could build what they want for the short (relatively) amount of time before 1.9. lots of TNT tearing up the map, we could create some really cool stuff with infinite redstone pistons etc I think it would be awesome, even if we crashed the server mltiple times :D

I'm interested in that comparison shot.

I trimmed it to just the area they both had in common. I suppose I could explore more in the Pre2 world to get a larger sample area, but I think it's fairly interesting as it is. The Magenta/Purple areas (marked a couple with the big red arrows) are the ones that were in Pre1 but not Pre2. I did not find any structures that were in Pre2 that were not in Pre1. The Blue/Green/Yellow/etc. parts were in both maps.

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

There are a few tunnels that look nearly straight and actually dug out. Are those you? Or generated l by MC? I still haven't had a chance to play with 1.8. :(

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

There are a few tunnels that look nearly straight and actually dug out. Are those you? Or generated l by MC? I still haven't had a chance to play with 1.8. :(

The dug out / straight ones are the generated abandoned mine shafts. I have yet to break into the cave systems on this map yet.

I take it that the server is down right now... yes?

And would it be possible to have me warped to a certain coordinate far far away from center area? :D

EDIT: Also, I just noticed I was repoofed. "Look Ma, I Flamebait!" --> "I Have Shit in my Hair, really."

Yes, no, and wtf are you talking about?

Finally installed 1.8.

All I'm going to say is this; those of you not wanting to move to a new world, clearly haven't played 1.8 yet. The new biome generation is amazing! I mean, AMAZING.

That. is. all.

Minecraft 1.8 official was just uploaded, but the site is down for maintenance at the moment. Ill update the test server whenever that comes back up.

EDIT: Test server is updated to 1.8 release, so feel free to update your clients.

Last edited:
Prolly going to need someone else to step up soon. The more people we get on the test server the more he'll use. Depending on what happens with the main server time frame is undefined.

Prolly going to need someone else to step up soon. The more people we get on the test server the more he'll use. Depending on what happens with the main server time frame is undefined.
I wish I had the know how and a faster speed so I could host one for everyone but mine is like 24/1 so upload sucks bad plus I wouldn't even know where to begin to get it setup anyways :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back